Author Topic: Era Report/ Historical 3025 in the works?  (Read 1918 times)

Bishop Steiner

• Private
Era Report/ Historical 3025 in the works?
« on: 30 January 2017, 17:01:07 »
It seems most of the core rule books, while not era specific, are set largely in mind with the 3050 era, as a baseline.  It would be a huge boon to have a compilation of the modifiers, availability, etc, to tech, refits, and the like, along with official scarcity tables for units, and the historical fluff that reflects 30 years of retcons, adjustments and changes.

Simply put the 3025 as projected in the current books...doesn't seem to grab the feel of the 3025 era from the old 1980s Sourcebooks, etc, but everything seems to have gotten bigger, and more polished, over the years, if that makes sense.

I enjoy all eras, but I would love to not have to use 4 websites and 50 books to track down all the errata and retcons.  With the resurgence of stuff for the Succession Wars, and the Unseen returning...is such a thing in the works?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Era Report/ Historical 3025 in the works?
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2017, 17:25:18 »
The base setting for the Core Books is the Jihad Era, as that's when they began publication, updated to Dark Age (with rules specifications for all eras) in Interstellar Operations.

Otherwise, could you please refine your question? As I'm understanding it, everything you're asking for is within the Core Books. The exception are scarcity tables, which are never going to happen (thousands of units across centuries).
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Bishop Steiner

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2017, 18:19:13 »
Literally asking if there are plans to produce an Era Report of Historical Sourcebook for the 3025 era, such as we have for the 2750 era, Reunification War, several parts of the Jihad, etc

A large amount of retcons, updates, errata etc, has been produced in the last 30 years, much seeming to contradict the flavor and feel of the original published materials (aka Mechwarrior and Battletech 1st Edition , such as the original House Books, the FASE "The Periphery" sourcebook) etc.

There is still a HUGE portion of the playerbase that favors this era despite all of CGLs attempts to usher us to the "modern era", and I believe the vast majority of us would like to see an up to date, current canon correct book with all the needed information right there.

As for everything in the Corebooks... perhaps they are, and I'm just too darn thick to get it, but when trying to figure out what the difficulty of making an Engine Swap or adding Jump Jets to a mech in the in the Taurian Concordat of 3025.... there jsut seems aliek a whole lot of stuff that I am not really seeing, and TBH, there is a lot of confusion as to what the actual tech levels etc of the periphery realms in this time are... precisely because the core rules are set in a time when tech is a heck of a lot more advanced and available, even in the periphery.

If my memory serves, in 3025, the Concordat, or Magistracy of Canopus were scarcely more advanced on the whole than a realm like Umayyad Caliphate, but one would hardly know that by reading the existing sourcebooks and text I can find.  I freely admit, I don't own everything (when a book costs two days wages here in Mexico, it's tough to keep up), but it seems like a lot of the Culture, Feel, etc of that Era has been lost in the shuffle.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2017, 20:30:03 »
Literally asking if there are plans to produce an Era Report of Historical Sourcebook for the 3025 era, such as we have for the 2750 era, Reunification War, several parts of the Jihad, etc
It's been considered and is a possibility in the future, but as of right now there's nothing in development. I'd certainly like to see it happen.

A large amount of retcons, updates, errata etc, has been produced in the last 30 years, much seeming to contradict the flavor and feel of the original published materials (aka Mechwarrior and Battletech 1st Edition , such as the original House Books, the FASE "The Periphery" sourcebook) etc.
Keep in mind that many, many changes where done in the Fasa days—they publish two Periphery books that contradicted each other, followed by a Periphery Field Manual. They're also behind the retconning of the 2750 'Mechs into the 3025 era. And yes, all those changes are already 20 years past.

There is still a HUGE portion of the playerbase that favors this era despite all of CGLs attempts to usher us to the "modern era",
A point of order: FASA and Wizkids ushered in the "modern era," Fanpro and Catalyst picked up from there. In fact Catalyst has gone back and detailed many previous eras (which hadn't been done before) instead of simply pushing forward, so I don't think that's a fair characterization.

As for everything in the Corebooks... perhaps they are, and I'm just too darn thick to get it, but when trying to figure out what the difficulty of making an Engine Swap or adding Jump Jets to a mech in the in the Taurian Concordat of 3025.... there jsut seems aliek a whole lot of stuff that I am not really seeing, and TBH, there is a lot of confusion as to what the actual tech levels etc of the periphery realms in this time are... precisely because the core rules are set in a time when tech is a heck of a lot more advanced and available, even in the periphery.
Those particular rules would be found in Strategic Operations—and they include modifiers for both faction and era. So, it's there.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Bishop Steiner

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2017, 23:12:17 »
Don't take it as an attack on CGL... as I noted, there's been 30 years of retcons, changes, additions, etc, so obviously that predates CGL.  And Randall seems to have a much more vested interest in actual editing and continuity than anyone at FASA ever did.

As for the ushering in.... well, it's only the last couple of years I have really seen much focus outside of the Dark Age, but because of that focus, I also admit I was not waiting with bated breath for the next release. Add in the simple fact that hard copy books across the whole industry have skyrocketed in cost, and it's been even tougher to keep up.

That said, it's because of the conflicting information, and the retcons, etc, that 3025 very much needs a clean slate Sourcebook.  To sort the facts, and give a definitive feel to the era.  Doesn't matter if the info in question is 30 years old or 3.  I would put money that it would outsell the Mercenaries or First Succession War Sourcebook, quite readily, as would an updated 3025 TRO with things like the Merlin, etc included. (and the new ReSeen).