Poll

Following the Death of Brandon Howell in 3053 who would you elect saKhan?

Star Colonel Devon Osis
8 (26.7%)
Loremaster Lamar Kotare
11 (36.7%)
Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima
5 (16.7%)
Star Colonel Erik Furey
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 03 March 2017, 12:16:33

Author Topic: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!  (Read 15700 times)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!
« on: 20 February 2017, 12:16:33 »
The Death of Brandon Howell: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan! (February 3053)

For my current alternate BattleTech universe my friends (Matt, Jeremy, and Chris) and I just played out what is known as the Trial of Restoration. This pivotal battle which occurred on January 27th 3053 and was fought on the Grand Council Fields of Strana Mechty determined the future direction of the invasion. Would the effort by the Invading Clans continue on as soon as possible or would the Clans all join in the assault following a fifteen-year truce? Despite fervent opposition by conservatives and Crusaders a coalition of Wardens, pragmatists, and Homeworld Clans ultimately carried the day.

This great clash which involved nearly a Galaxy of warriors lasted ten rounds (or three fun days) and I am still breaking down all the relevant data. Perhaps the single biggest impact of the battle was the death of saKhan Brandon Howell of the Smoke Jaguars during Turn 4. Shockingly this was the first kill of the Trial which occurred just after a devastating blow from Howell’s Timber Wolf knocked his opponent to the ground. Mechwarrior Starla of Adder Command Keshik managed to get her Warhawk C upright and fire a desperate last second Alpha Strike. Incredibly one of her ER PPCs decapitated the Smoke Jaguar saKhan’s OmniMech killing him instantly.

The death of their commander unbalanced the Crusader forces, especially the Smoke Jaguars, who lost their composure and were there after outmaneuvered. Their defeat here coupled with losses on Tukayyid and Luthien has really decimated the Jaguar leadership leaving us asking who will replace Brandon Howell? Can any warrior arrest the fall of this once might Clan? So after consulting with my friends I wanted to turn to you and ask who would you elect saKhan of the Smoke Jaguar in February 3053?

Going over the known candidates (canon) for the office revealed how bare the cupboard really is for the Clan at this time. A litany of failed Galaxy Commanders stretching from Wolcott to Tukayyid really left me asking is there any frontline military leaders remaining especially when you look at Mikhail Ward, Hang Mehta, Jin Mehta, and Brendon Corbett. These are the names of the four Galaxy Commanders at the time of Operation Bulldog (3059) which doesn’t occur for another six years. With the possible exception of one (Jin) all seem to take command of their Galaxies after 3053 although some of the information on Mikhail seems to contradict that.

After discussing it we felt that these future Jaguar leaders were either too young (again with the exception of Mikhail all are 30 or under at this time) and too inexperienced. However, one canon candidate did stand out to me as a very plausible contender for this title at this time along with certain non-canon alternatives. So - I put them to you bloodnamed of the Jaguar, who do you choose as your next saKhan?

Candidates for saKhan

Devon Osis (age 32, Mechwarrior 2/2, Dire Wolf Prime) The noted aide de camp of the Khan has distinguished himself as a fine Jaguar warrior fighting several times in Operation Revival. Accompanying Lincoln Osis to several Grand Councils gave him valuable insights and the necessary talents which are the hallmarks of good leadership. Despite his valiant efforts on Luthien our Clan was ultimately defeated and Devon was forced to rehabilitate injuries during Tukayyid. He was instrumental in quickly reassembling the Touman in the wake of that battle and holding our Clan’s position. If not for the heroic actions of Brandon Howell and the unexpected return of Lincoln Osis he would have become the next saKhan of Smoke Jaguar last year. No doubt Osis could have taken up a position as Galaxy Commander but did not in order to serve his Khan and Clan. His upstanding character and ardent Crusader stance have won him the backing of many who consider Devon this rightful successor to Brandon Howell.

Lamar Kotare (age 49, Mechwarrior 3/2, Warhawk) Recently elected Loremaster, Lamar Kotare is the eldest Jaguar warrior still in front line service a fact which made him the natural choice for this honored position in the wake of Tukayyid. While he holds an impressive combat record recent events have caused some to question his continued worthiness to the Clan. Increasingly seen as a revolutionary who proposed several reforms like the use of InnerSphere bondsman as auxiliaries in the Occupation Zone, the reactivation of Freeborn Sibkos or decanting of Mongoose Trueborns to fill out Second Line formations, and even calling for the improvement of relations between warriors and the lower castes. Much like Franklin Osis he has reached a turning point in his life he explains to all who would challenge him. Thus far he has brutally defeated all challengers earning him respect but in an increasingly young Clan will he be seen as a savior or just an aging senior?

Nahuel Montizima (age 41, Aerospace Pilot 2/1, Sabutai) This Star Admiral is an elite Aerospace pilot known as the Aztec who rose to command the Jaguar fleet despite having only a minor bloodname. Even though he holds a naval rank he continues to regularly test out in his OmniFighter maintaining a fierce reputation as one of his Clan’s finest aces. Stung by the Turtle Bay Incident which saw warships bid away for the duration of the invasion his political views came into focus. Asserting that outsiders from other Clans, chief among them Wolves, are to blame for the Jaguars’ poor performances during Operation Revival his stock among the Clan Council continues to steadily climb. He advocates a variety of measures to cleanse the Touman of their “Soiled Crusader Harvest” prior to the invasion. Nahuel holds a special hatred for ilKhan Ulric Kerensky who he feels should be removed from office immediately.

Erik Furey (age 27, Mechwarrior 1/1, Executioner) The newest Star Colonel in the Smoke Jaguar Touman is a vocal opponent of Khan Lincoln Osis and his ‘cabal’. Young and brash he continues to campaign against ‘collusion’ within the warrior caste which has hindered his beloved Clan’s performance. Often working alone Erik insists that the true Jaguar is a solitary predator to be emulated as Nicholas Kerensky intended and not an inferior pack hunter which some of his Clansman have become. Physically imposing this hulking Mechwarrior continues to hammer the inept leadership of schemers inside and out the cockpit of his OmniMech. So far Furey has gotten his way through sheer force of will. While his individualistic behavior has led to an impressive string of victories against superiors and detractors it has earned him little glory against the InnerSphere. However, being bid out by his vengeful superiors has given Erik the distinction of avoiding colossal failures like Luthien and Tukayyid. Some doubt he can effectively lead the Clan given his independent martial philosophy while others who feel wronged by politics see him as their champion.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2017, 12:23:52 by Takiro »

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2017, 02:04:50 »
Lamar Kotare can revolutionise the Smoked Jaguars and spark a revival.
The rest just seem to follow a well worn path.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2017, 06:26:46 »
But can he win seems to be the big question snakespinner. My friends who helped me fight the battle which claimed Brandon Howell's life have started to chime in with their unofficial text support. Both my buddies Matt and Chris are supporting Star Colonel Erik Furey. Chris wanted to vote for Loremaster Kotare but thought Furey was the best chance for the opposition to win while Matt thought that Furey bought the Clan a much needed change of direction with the best chance for glory.

Been a very interesting first day of voting with the insider Devon Osis holding a slight lead over loner Erik Furey and the revolutionary Lamar Kotare with extremist Nahuel Montizima trailing in last place. Please don't be afraid to vote folks. I'd love to hear who you would vote for and why. If you feel like it go ahead and get into character (a Smoke Jaguar bloodname of the Clan Council) and sound off about your favored candidate.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2017, 08:02:33 »
I'm the guy who voted for Montizima. The main reasons: He's not a MechWarrior and he's not from a Bloodline that has significantly contributed to the decline of the Jaguars (BT Real World, anyway). The Osis bloodname should be purged in my opinion.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2017, 16:07:07 »
I Franklin Dimitrov will speak for Devon Osis.
Who managed to bring back our Touman and hold our Clan position?
Who stood down one time already for the greater good of our Clan?
Who knows the way of warfare and the way of politics?
Only one name is worth our vote and this name is Devon Osis.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2017, 16:29:03 »
Erik Furey.

He has the best chance to consign the Smoke Jaguars to the trash heap of history, where they belong. Or to refine them into the purest essence of Smoke Jaguar-ness, which given the difference between given a good warrior and being an effective Clan will have the same effect. The Smoke Jaguars will die, but with Erik Furey, they will at least die as themselves.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2017, 19:41:55 »
I hear ya Sharpnel, the Osis bloodname is not the only one facing disgrace and possible reaving in my opinion. Another subject but just of the top of my head Galaxy Commander Perez ordered the orbital bombardment for Turtle Bay.

Franklin Dimitrov your vote has been heard, are there any other Jaguars present who would support their candidate in the Clan Council?

[Thanks Ice, very nice in character presentation! Any other proclamations are welcomed.]

This is an alternative universe Sir Chaos so anything is possible. ;) Appreciate your vote!

Keep them coming gang!!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2017, 22:12:24 »
While not yet holder of a bloodname, I, Star Captain Ivan of the Showers bloodname, of the 17th Jaguar Regulars, support Franklin Dimitrov - Devon Osis is the only capable choice to become saKhan and lead us back to our rightful place at the vanguard of Clan society.

Lamar Kotare has a long and respected history - which is why he serves so well as Loremaster. We should not waste his extensive experience, gathered over many decades, in the more active role of saKhan.

Nahuel Montizima - well, where does it say in the Remembrance that the Smoke Jaguar should blame its failings on others? We are the best of the Clans - but that does not mean we are guaranteed success; it only means we have the opportunity to excel. Where we fall short of our ambitions, we must correct those failings within ourselves, which can only come with brutal honesty. This well-meaning but unsuccessful warrior should perhaps consider being taken by Clan Ice Hellion, who have desperate need of ways to blame others for their failings.

As for Erik Furey - let him lead a Galaxy into combat. His undoubted skills in an OmniMech have not yet transferred to the ability to see strategically. I would see him take such a role in our renewed reclamation of the corrupted Spheroids, tempering him for further advancement. For today, let his actions speak directly to those who would oppose us.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2017, 06:23:33 »
Even the unblooded speak on behalf of Devon Osis!

Unfortunately Ivan you have no official say in this matter, go forth and earn your name with standing in this Council.

Are there any other voices to be heard on this matter?

[nice breakdown worktroll, thanks for chiming in and voting ;) ]

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2017, 07:53:38 »
This is an alternative universe Sir Chaos so anything is possible. ;) Appreciate your vote!

Inasmuch as I´m a fan of any clan, I´m a fan of the Ghost Bears. So I prefer a stupid neighbor for them that hamstrings themselves with their aggressiveness to a smart one.

Come on, let the kitties needlessly aggravate the great Ghost Bear. It will crush their skulls in one blow.
-Frederick the Great

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2017, 16:10:06 »
Well it is a little off topic again Sir Chaos but it sounds like you may like this link below. JPArbiter came up with a Ghost Bear-Smoke Jaguar conflict based on our Quicksilver Trials which will spring in part from this event here. Basically the family values Clan versus the street thug Clan in an all at fight for dominance in 3051 after the bombardment of Edo. My vision is a bit different but JP had a very good idea which is thought provoking. I do plan to build upon some of this in the future. Take a look if you please.

https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?topic=2750.0

In the mean time lets get back on track folks.

Are there any other votes or supporters for the position of saKhan?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2017, 16:26:08 »
[nice breakdown worktroll, thanks for chiming in and voting ;) ]

I've been a Jaguar fan from way back - had to contribute, but didn't feel like arrogating a full bloodname. Given Psi Galaxy, Ivan has to hope for a chance in a Grand Melee, but he'll take that happily.

One could presume that the unblooded want to go with someone who makes sense. Sufficient ageist terms should slow Kotare down, a Naval bloodname is unlikely to get greater support, and Furey is as Furey's named - we need someone with a little grey matter. Giving Furey lead roles will kill or cure ;)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2017, 17:20:51 »
I have already taken note of Ivan for this setting bud, so you may just see him again. ;)

It was my desire that all four candidates have an aspect of Jaguar in them. Osis and Furey are sort of polar opposites stemming from the traitor Trent as well as the other high officers of the Jaguars. Osis (and Corbett along with the Galaxy Commanders) are political insiders who have 'standing' within the Clan and are on the track for greater things which made me think of Trent's rival Jez. Her rise was filled with a bunch of shenanigans which got me thinking in an ultra competitive environment filled with elite warriors who don't have that much of a skill separation is politicking a side affect?

I mean given their inherent brutality who wants to fail? Trent seemed like he wanted to do the right thing which held him back as Jez was willing to push the envelope and win, consequences be damned. Historical precedent (the Invading Clans SB) also gave the successors of Franklin Osis a reputation as "a collection of short sighted individuals". So my conclusion was the Jaguar political scene was full of insiders who will cheat and do a lot of unClanlike things to rise to the top. A gray area hence the Smoke in the Jaguar Clan. Nobody ever dares call them on it cause who wants their wrath.

Furey is on the other end of this spectrum. What if every so often an individual who was so skilled, so far above the rest of his peers in regards to martial abilities like Leo Showers who was Khan at such a young age can overcome that system? Now I would argue that Leo was bought in by these insiders or used them to develop quite a political edge where as Furey is an outsider pure and simple. He has seen the seedy underbelly of Jaguar politics and wants to break it - hence his Solitary Hunter or Panther Doctrine which I am still developing. Each warrior should stand on his own and those who do not are not true Jaguars. It is Clanlike and appealing to some who have seen the failure of the 'elites' during the invasion.

Kotare is the revolutionary choice based on the mellowing of Franklin Osis during the end of his life. Both have similar stories and I like the aspect of someone who has grown tired of killing for the sake of killing. It is wasteful and unClanlike hence some of his proposals to strengthen the Clan like utilizing Mongoose bloodnames and freeborn warriors who prove worthy rather than letting them go to waste. Or how about treating the civilian castes with a little more respect like the Clan's founder once did. Problem is that these ideas are 'brutally' radical that most Jaguars might think that this ain't the behavior of their Clan. The Loremaster is careful however to respect Jaguar traditions but still the idea of this all!

Then you have the extremist Nahuel Montizima who yes is basically scapegoating the Clan's failure on all these outsiders. A Crusader Harvest given the position of the Clan (one of four invaders), the size of the Jaguar Touman prior to the invasion which I would guess is 60+ Clusters, and the presence of so many not Jaguar bloodnames makes a large influx of warriors prior to the invasion very likely IMO. While he hails from a minor bloodhouse and is a naval commander Nahuel is all Jaguar and embodies their unhinged rage at being so outperformed. This never would have happened if not for some outside factor? So Ulric and these outsiders make the perfect target for his fascist approach to these shortcomings.

I think all four candidates present an interesting look at the Clan and aspects of it. My hope is that everyone else thinks so too and votes their choice.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2017, 17:41:16 »
Maybe it's because I'm old that I take side views.

For Clan Ice Hellion - one of my other Clan favourites - I supported the thinking of Damon Hawkins, who was a Ghost Bear taken who earned his way back to Warrior status, and eventually galaxy command.  He wanted a more reasoned use of traditional Hellion tactics - to paraphrase from Larry Niven's Kzinti, less "scream and leap", and more "feint and pounce". Speed, yes, but not reactionary, unthinking speed. Plus greater use of pack tactics - I'd call it fair to have two or three Hellion light 'Mechs take on a Dire Wolf in honorable combat.

So in Jaguar context, I support total ferocity - but to achieve a decided goal, not as a rage-driven response to an uncaring universe. Definitely in the "Must destroy the unworthy elements of the Inner Sphere so we can rebuild Kerensky's utopia, under the guidance of the Warriors" side of Crusader O0

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2017, 19:59:13 »
I got ya worktroll, in regards to Ice Hellion I have some interesting character ideas but their current (3053) saKhan is Weiland Cage whose canon personality wasn't much discussed except for his Crusader Harvest plotting - so I have more of a 'scream and leap' approach there with him being quite possibly the fastest MechWarrior (on par with Pilots) around. Unfortunately he tends to act before thinking. I do have a few other Ice Hellion character ideas but I will look up Damon Hawkins. Sounds on par with Connor Rood.

Well hopefully worktroll isn't the only one out there who will take sides in the issue of Smoke Jaguar Khan, vote and please discuss who your supporting! ;)

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2017, 21:53:01 »
I vote for Lamar Kotare. His suggestions, while revolutionary within the Clan, are not revolutionary to other Clans and will make Clan Smoke Jaguar stronger. The Freeborns will strive to prove themselves equal to Clan Smoke Jaguar's own Trueborn Warriors and the Trueborn Warriors will strive to prove themselves superior to them.

Using the Inner Sphere bondsmen as Warriors is more productive then retraining them to be a member of other Castes, though the Smoke Jaguar Watch should keep a close eye on them for some time. Waste not, want not.

Relaxing the restraints in their lower castes will allow the Clan to grow more economically, allowing Clan Smoke Jaguar to better recover from their battles in the Inner Sphere, as well as better maintain their current position in the Homeworlds.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2017, 03:47:49 »
I cast my vote for Lamar Kotare.  Although I disagree with his ideas on letting the lower castes have more freedom, it is a step that must be taken if we are to survive as a Clan.  Using Freeborn and Spheroids will also free up our troops for front line roles and as my Trothkin just said.  If they perform well, then it will spur our warriors to outperform their genetic inferiors. 

In this trying time we should use all the resources we have to hand, before others start to circle.  We should remind them that we are the predator and they are the prey!

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2017, 06:27:09 »
Two Lamar Kotare votes, thanks for chiming in James Tanaga and marauder648. I must say the staying power of the elder Loremaster's support among the ranks of the Jaguars is surprising me. Is it their poor performance in the invasion and occupation of the InnerSphere that is sparking this ground swell or the fact that other Invading Clans like Wolf who have adopted these policies and are outperforming them? Of course Kotare's proposed reforms do not go as far as the Wolves. InnerSphere Bondsman and freeborn warriors may only rise so far - front line units would still be off limits for them as trueborn warriors are superior. But there are other jobs such as in the Watch where these 'lessers' may still find some small measure of glory in the Jaguar's service.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2017, 20:20:20 »
I'm tempted to fake up a bloodname to respond to the woolly thinking on display here, but I'll remain loyal to my Ivan of bloodname Showers for now ...

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2017, 21:14:48 »
LOL, well my friend Matt voted for Furey today on the forum but sadly the voting totals seem to have slowed down. Can't say I approve of stuffing the ballot box but if you'd like to inform others of our little election here please do so. Forum membership counts as a valid bloodname in this instance. ;)

Perhaps I will write up some speeches for each candidate in order to drum up interest here next week. Also I am up for any suggestions but I think Jaguar fans will be pleased with the final results no matter.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2017, 21:25:43 »
Well then, I Ivan Furey (freshly minted) challenge the soft and unWarrior-like thinking of  James Tanaga and Marauder648.

Why do we exist as the Clans? Because the Inner Sphere failed. Why else did the Great Father take us on Exodus, if not to separate us from their corruption?

And why did his son Nicholas Kerensky re-forge us as the Clans, if not to purify us for the redemption of the Star League? Like iron before the hammer, the Clans were hammered and heated and beaten and forged into something wholly new - with the caste system as the hilt and pommel, carrying the blade that is the Warrior Caste?

And now Lamar Kotare, and those who support him, would mix the dross and refuse of failed Spheroid so-called-warriors - so-called, as they all fell before the Jaguar - and bind them into our core, to pollute our mettle with their weakness and corruption?

No. I say no, never.

Let us use these surat sweepings of the Spheroids to clean our trash, to serve our lower castes, and to labour for the other Castes as they might. Perhaps their freeborn children, separated from corrupting influences, may one day contribute to our lower castes. Let them make shells and weapons for those selected, trained and bred to use them - the Trueborn Warriors, pinnacle of the Great Father's great experiment.

It is not beneath the Wolves to accept such scum into their inner circle. The Bears also do not presume to pamper their spoils. But we are not dogs, or lumbering beasts. We are SMOKE JAGUAR! We need not take refuge in "packs" or "families".

We will not become ilClan by absorbing that which was refused by our Great Father. Only by dedicating ourselves to the vision he and his great Son shared can we reclaim our rightful place.

Those who would seek to bind their blood and genes to those who have already fallen before us, should perhaps seek those Clans who have lost the vision of Kerensky. They have no place here.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2017, 06:26:19 »
[now there is a proper challenge in the Smoke Jaguar Clan Council, fantastic! Only a week of voting left folks]

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2017, 10:30:41 »
Trothkin I may 'only' be an Old Star Commadore, but perhaps my age gives me the chance to look, actually look at our Clan.  We are the strongest, most feirce and most deadly of Kerensky's chosen, and yet, despite our strength and skill, we are faltering. 

Our Tourman has been bled white on Wolcott, Luthien and Tukkayid, losses which have driven our fighting strength down to the lowest it has been in decades. 

The other Clans could well be scenting blood. The Sharks are, offering Mechs and Aerospace fighters at higher rates whilst we are still on a year long supply chain and every Cluster is below strength in our front line forces. 

And if we do nothing, apart from cling to what we are, without adapting to the changing reality of the galaxy around it, then my Trothkin, we could face difficulty in the future. 

Lamar Kotare does not suggest we become as liberal as the Sharks, if he did I would challenge him to a Trial of Grievence here and now.  But what he proposes will strengthen our Clan.  By using Spheroid or Freeborn forces to bulk out our PGCs we can move men and material into our battered front line units.  Using Spheroids to police their own we could see a reduction in the uprisings that we must rightfully stomp out, but instead by having the Spheroids look to their own, we free our own up to fight and win, as we must.

And do not forget that the Spheroids are nothing more than a tool, a means to an end and nothing more.  But this will buy us time, time to gather our strength, mend our wounds and strike forth once more.  If they die for the Clan, then so be it, their lives will mean little, but I would rather they die than see our strength reduced further still. 

We must adapt and evolve, the hunting grounds we prowl are different from the worlds of the Cluster and Homeworlds, if we act like we are still in the Homeworlds, then we face hard times ahead.  To survive as a Clan, as a culture, as a people, we must adapt.  Lamar Kotare represents a step to that future.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2017, 10:32:46 by marauder648 »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2017, 16:07:02 »
{just gives a name there Star Commodore} ;)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2017, 16:17:30 »
The words we hear are those of age. I need comment no further. Though I consider Erik Furey not yet seasoned, I would rather see him take us down the path of fury than the caution of the elderly. I see the Clan under Kotare, huddled around a dwindling campfire, feeble hands tugging ragged blankets from those freeborn welcomed to our camp.

Better still, Devon Osis can blend ferocity and combat skill to help lead us back to our rightful place.

[O/C, appealing to age & wisdom ain't exactly the winning

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2017, 17:28:33 »
With age comes wisdom. For the Jaguar to survive, the Clan must change. Or the other Clans and even surat Spheroids will overtake it. Look to Devon Osis or Lamar Kotare for that change.

Nahuel Montizima acts more Hellion than Jaguar these days and Furey will only continue the downward trend of Clan Smoke Jaguar.

Osis and Kotare have shown wisdom. Osis in being critical to the quick rebuilding of our shattered touman. Kotare in his plans to strengthen and continual guidance within the Clan.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2017, 18:34:21 »
Star Commander Tancred Winson would stand up after his superiors had spoken. "It is Kerensky's way to claim the best for one's one, is it not? Under Lamar Kotare, we will claim and use the best of the freeborn warriors. Under Lamar Kotare, we will use the best of the Mongoose bloodlines. Under Lamar Kotare, we will use what we have harvested to become the ilClan!"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2017, 07:04:41 »
Star Commodore Greggor Dimitrov, Commander of the CSJ Snow Leopard if you need a name.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #28 on: 25 February 2017, 10:30:56 »
[I do marauder648, helps when I mash this thread together in a readable manner ;) that goes for you too James Tanaga unless you want me to use your forum handle as a Jaguar abtakha]

Well even if the Dimitrov Bloodhouse is split on whom exactly they support it appears that Loremaster Kotare's support is actually increasing.

[I thought I would also list the canon big whigs and whom they support in this endeavor]

Brendon Corbett is an elite Mechwarrior who pilots a Warhawk and currently holds the rank Star Colonel. In command of the still reforming 6th Jaguar Dragoons this natural Mech pilot he is able to use terrain and his adversaries’ movement against them frequently. As an ambitious young Star Captain he rallied the shattered remnants of Alpha Galaxy to rescue Lincoln Osis and led the fighting withdrawal from Dinju Heights. Indebted the Khan has become a strong advocate for Brendon who is working hard to correct a lack of tactical and strategic acumen. Even with his inexperience and young age this ristar had a lot of support going in but choose to nominate Star Colonel Devon Osis as the Clan's next saKhan.

Hang Mehta despite her Wolf bloodname and wiry physique has shown herself to be a true Smoke Jaguar. Fierce in augmented and unaugmented combat this aggressive Mechwarrior recently assumed command of Delta Galaxy after the failure of its ‘Sixth Wave’ against the Draconis Combine. Some even considered this elite Timber Wolf pilot for the post of saKhan but she quickly nominated Star Colonel Erik Furey for the post.

William Perez is the commander of Kappa Galaxy since 3048 when he was transferred to second line duty after rumors began circulating about his suspected Warden beliefs. While viewed as cautious off the battlefield William ferocious recklessness is unmatched in combat. During the build up to Operation Revival he threw himself into action constantly commanding the Jaguar’s Delta Galaxy leading his troops from the front in every conflict. As word of his supposed political affiliation spread challenges to his position skyrocketed forcing his reassignment. The actions of Cordera Perez on Turtle Bay did little to further his Bloodname but some relief did finally come with Kappa’s posting to the InnerSphere. It was he spoke out in favor of Loremaster Lamar Kotare initially nominating him to become the Clan's next saKhan.

Paulina Perez has long commanded the Smoke Jaguar Naval Reserve (the Jaguar's Stride) and watched her once great Clan falter even as she ferried its warriors from the Homeworlds to the InnerSphere. Bitter and resentful of these failures despite all her hard work the Star Commodore came to support Nahuel Montizima as the only true Jaguar candidate for the post of saKhan. Speaking for the Star Admiral she rails against saKhan Brandon Howell's genetic origins as a failed Snow Raven legacy and accuses several other notable abtakha in the Jaguar Touman (Mikhail Ward, Hang Mehta, and Jin Mehta) as suspect warriors. She views them sympathizers of the traitorous Wolf ilKhan who should be immediately relegated to second line duty which will happen after Montizima becomes saKhan.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2017, 10:37:46 by Takiro »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2017, 13:19:02 »
My only issue is that Kotare is the 'sensible' choice - but from the external POV. From the wargamers, min/max POV. From a Clan POV? Nuppers. It's Osis or Furey, with Osis winning and Furey challenging him to a Trial in the next second.

Clanners, folks! We're not sensible! We're aggressive! We don't make long-term plans to pay off in decades. We take it NOW.

(Wish I could find Deathshadow's marvellous rant on what being Clan means.)

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2017, 16:09:12 »
All Tancred wants are schmucks doing schmuck duty while the REAL Warriors go out and get to fight. Real warriors don't defend. That is a perfect job for bondsmen and freeborn.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #31 on: 26 February 2017, 22:23:44 »
Out of character, worktroll I hear what you are saying but if you actually look at Kotare's "revolutionary" proposals they are shocking but after the initial impact of these changes sink in any Jaguar can see that they are not that radical. Decoy quite correctly points out that freeborns and Mongoose bloodnames would remain second line defenders while more true Jaguar warriors can go on the offensive. Really I think you are just maximizing your resources which are currently not being used whatsoever.

And also don't forget the shocking events that have undone the Jaguars supposed supremacy which may have caused some even in universe to consider a different approach. Leo Showers was elected ilKhan to lead the Crusade, they finished second to Jade Falcon in the Revival Trials earning them the second best corridor, and according to my best estimate the Clan had 61 Clusters prior to the invasion which may have been the most at the time.

Turtle Bay saw the Heir to the Dragon escape from under their noses followed by the highly questionable (if not downright dishonorable) orbital bombardment of Edo. Losses at Wolcott, Luthien, and Tukayyid were followed by their "Sixth Wave" which was occurred only two weeks after that great battle. They unleashed Delta Galaxy against three Draconis worlds (Tanh Linh, Baruun Urt, and McAlister) only to again be defeated in each instance.

Now in my alternate things have gotten worse as their singular 'hero' Brandon Howell has been killed in a Trial that will fundamentally reshape the Clan invasion and just looking at their canon numbers again I have only 37 Clusters under arms as of 3054. That is a loss of 24 Clusters in just 5 years! Two dozen cluster wiped out. That is a lot of Bloodnamed warriors gone and the Jaguars know it. So these losses may just have out weighed their traditional response.

To be honest I thought the results would be more in Osis and Furey favor with Kotare and Montizima bringing up the rear. None of the four has really distinguished themselves like Brandon Howell did on Tukayyid so the current four way log jam does make a certain amount of sense to me. I'm still hoping for more turnout however before the end of our poll here on Friday and where that could take us is anyone's guess. ;)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2017, 23:35:35 by Takiro »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 26 February 2017, 23:21:30 »
All Tancred wants are schmucks doing schmuck duty while the REAL Warriors go out and get to fight. Real warriors don't defend. That is a perfect job for bondsmen and freeborn.

"Schmucks" admitted to the Warrior Caste?

You degrade the caste system like this?

THis is not the Clan I was bred for.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #33 on: 27 February 2017, 20:48:55 »
[looks like the Clan is on the verge of creating a second tier warrior caste composed of bondsman, freeborns, and reborn Mongoose warriors to allow all trueborn Jaguar warriors every chance to serve on the front - only four days left to vote! Here is my second list of canon figures and whom they support in this election]

Emilie Wimmer is the longest serving front line Star Colonel currently in the Jaguar Touman following the death of Aaron Showers. Commanding the 362nd Assault Cluster (Beta Galaxy) since 3049 this elite Mechwarrior is skilled at reading adversaries and anticipating their maneuvers. She showcased this ability in September 3050 when her unit roundly defeated the 10th Alshain Regulars to win control of Courchevel. Many were surprised when she seconded the nomination of Erik Furey as the next saKhan saying “I have no rival greater than the Panther in the Smoke Jaguar Clan - he shows the greatest promise out of all the potential candidates”.

Paul Moon was only recently promoted to Star Colonel in command of the 3rd Jaguar Cavaliers (Delta Galaxy). A devoted Crusader Elemental he fought alongside Devon Osis and Luthien whom he avidly supports. Both warriors missed Tukayyid with grave injuries “or else things would have gone far differently.” He boldly condemns those able bodied who lost or did not participate in the battle as false Jaguars who should be relegated to lesser duty immediately.

Jon Howell is the commander of the 11th Garrison Cluster (Psi Galaxy) which currently defends Yamarovka in the InnerSphere. This veteran Star Colonel who pilots an upgraded King Crab is still feared for his impressive victories prior to the invasion. Lured by the chance of returning to the front armed with experiences versus dishonorable InnerSphere foes he speaks in favor of his trothkin Lamar Kotare. “I support the formation Freebirth Clusters to allow trueborn Jaguar warriors to resume the offensive while using every weapon at our disposal to defeat the treacherous Houses who betrayed the Great Father.”

Matius Chrisholm commands the Lynx Pouncer Naval Star which patrols the Exodus Road from its fleet base at Suda Bay. Since Ulric Kerensky bid away all warships after Turtle Bay the Star Commodore has languished in the Deep Periphery seeking out any would be opponent. Recently the Nova Cat Clan has drawn his ire striking at Jaguar transports heading to the InnerSphere. He supports Nahuel Montizima as a fellow naval officer and “enemy of all who would stand in the Jaguar’s way.”
« Last Edit: 27 February 2017, 20:50:55 by Takiro »

Bradshaw

• Corporal
  • Never trust a man scratching his chin
« Reply #34 on: 28 February 2017, 11:04:19 »
Hi RL Friend of Takiro and I agree with WorkTroll. A Leopard does not change its spots. If anything it returns to what it knows best or if using the animal analogy If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Smoke Jaguar is nothing but predictable and due to the loss of so many warriors, I would assume the majority of their remaining warriors are young and fresh from their sibkos. Therefore more staunchly in line with their ideology or "brainwashed" if you will. I cannot see them deciding to go the extreme of allowing Freebirths let alone Inner Sphere mechwarriors into their Toumans let alone the using of Mongoose bloodnames. At most I could see them using them for trade with another clan for resources.

Just my take.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2017, 11:08:55 by Bradshaw »

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #35 on: 28 February 2017, 15:40:20 »
My vote is Lamar Kotare
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 28 February 2017, 16:12:54 »
Hi RL Friend of Takiro and I agree with WorkTroll. A Leopard does not change its spots. If anything it returns to what it knows best or if using the animal analogy If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Did you vote? :) And will you support a Challenge to the travesty of allowing freebirth scum into the Warrior Caste of the finest Clan of all?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #37 on: 28 February 2017, 23:14:09 »
[thanks for signing up once again Bradshaw and voting for your candidate for saKhan, as Winterwolf already voted that just leaves Gus to vote for his choice. Glad to see you voted Wolfcannon and you were not the only one who voted for the Loremaster today. That lead just keeps getting bigger but there is still time to make your voice heard folks - three days left to vote and sound off here!]

[perhaps Bradshaw will get into character and sound off worktroll ;) ]

Each candidate for the saKhanship of the Smoke Jaguars is promoting a new flagship unit as part of their plan to rebuild the Clan. These prestige clusters would serve as their keystone formation in a renewed Alpha Galaxy and help to conquer their enemies once more. It will also give the Bloodnamed a chance to see what each nominee has planned for the future.

Jaguar Knights (Nahuel Montizima)
Drawing on his own namesake Star Admiral Montizima has based his ideal formation on ancient Mesoamerican warriors, which would mark a clear departure from established Smoke Jaguar tradition. To be a part of his so-called Obsidian Warriors candidates would have to be trueborn Jaguar and surpass certain benchmarks such as ten kills, collect enough isorla (double your augmented mass), as well as capturing another Clan’s warrior. These standards would allow entry into this elite cluster which would be the highest profile within the Clan sharing the Khan’s ceremonial Jaguar dress. Nahuel has chosen Star Captain Babur Rakhmatulina to command this unit even though he is not yet a Star Colonel. This young ristar from a small bloodhouse is an avid supporter of the Star Admiral’s policies and looks forward to the challenge of assembling the new Cluster which would include an aerospace trinary unlike some other Jaguar units. The Knights have also pledged to utilize “Jaguar made” equipment like the Warhawk, the Ebon Jaguar, and the Sabutai which could make them lighter than some of the other proposed units.

Jaguar Grenadiers (Lamar Kotare)
The Loremaster decreed upon his nomination that he would push for the reconstruction of the Shadow Stalkers in honor of fallen saKhan Brandon Howell who once commanded them. With origins going back to the dawn of the Clan this unit was frequently utilized as the shock troops of Alpha Galaxy. Star Captain Brau Showers is among three survivors from Dinju Heights who would form the core of this renewed legacy cluster. While Showers is recovering from wounds sustained at Tukayyid he would have to test up to become a Star Colonel - something the Loremaster has confidence this combat veteran can do. Composed of Light Assaults, Fast Heavies, and Mediums this quick moving formation will focus on ranged combat strikes made during hard charges at the enemy. This was a hallmark of the Grenadiers which Kotare no doubt will utilize to the fullest extent.

Sixth Jaguar Dragoons (Devon Osis)
Rebuilding the Khan’s unit as the leading cluster of Alpha Galaxy is a priority for Star Colonel Devon Osis whose contingent is already coming together. They have an illustrious record of service including a second-place finish in the Revival Trials during which they represented their Clan proudly. The Wolf Slayers are currently being reassembled by Star Colonel Brendon Corbett at the behest of Khan Lincoln Osis. Corbett together with the other seven surviving warriors of the cluster from Tukayyid have already put together a mixed Trinary armed with the very best equipment and personnel the Clan has available. Made up of assault OmniMechs, like the Dire Wolf which the cluster successfully trialed from Clan Wolf, it is easily the largest command in terms of sheer mass. The Dragoons typically used long range strikes which often wore down opponents for a bone crushing close quarter assaults that finished them.

Smoke Jaegers (Erik Furey)
The Solitary Hunters are to be built as the epitome of their creator’s philosophies which might make for less of a cohesive unit and more a band of elite warriors. Furey choose Star Captain Brian Weaver who is perhaps the finest young ristar in Smoke Jaguar Clan history. This elite Mechwarrior killed three opponents in his Ebon Jaguar and surprised many Clansman by electing to remain in the Homeworlds rather than joining the InnerSphere invasion. Recently winning former saKhan Sarah Weaver’s Bloodright he has never lost a battle and only fights those adversaries he deems worthy. Given their independent nature this command could have a wide variety of equipment and personnel. Aside from being the finest warriors the Clan has to offer and as such superb duelists the Jaegers maybe focused on fighting other Clans rather than lowly InnerSphere dezgra.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 01 March 2017, 09:21:06 »
Did you vote? :) And will you support a Challenge to the travesty of allowing freebirth scum into the Warrior Caste of the finest Clan of all?

I had to, I voiced my opinion but Takiro said it wasn't official unless I voted on here  >:(

I don't get into character very well with Clan characters they got sticks up their butts too much for me lol. I'm more of a rebel  }:)

In the discussion I had with Takiro about the choices, I told him it really depended on his vision for SJ if he wanted them to survive I'd go with Kotare but if he wanted them to die go with Furey or Osis. I had no strong thoughts on the Admiral. I feel in this alternate history give it 10 years with Furey or Osis and we'd be seeing another clan absorbed. With Kotare who knows what the future may hold.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #39 on: 01 March 2017, 12:15:18 »
Sorry Bradshaw, I liked to get as much input as possible for these scenarios and it has been fun. :) Don't be afraid to mention that it was your Star Adder MechWarrior that caused all of this election nonsense. If it was not for her lucky last ditch alpha strike who knows what would have happened.

Just a bit of analysis on this four way vote, I think it makes sense to a certain degree. Osis and Furey are two sides of the same coin splitting the vote as we go here. One is status quo and the other is anti-establishment. Their votes seem to come from young front line warriors who will no doubt be the future of the Clan but may yet lack bloodnames. Kotare's support has been impressive but largely from second line forces and lower ranked senior officers no doubt frustrated by the Jaguar's performance, these 'survivors' probably have the most bloodnames and hence representation in the Council. Montizima is the supremacist who gets votes from the Naval Arm of the Clan which has been sidelined perhaps the most as well as some minor Jaguar Bloodhouses who resent outsiders in the Council.

Only two days left to go!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 01 March 2017, 13:37:04 »
I have voted, while I have harder time taking a Smoke Jaguar personality, I went with Devon Osis.  The reason he has proven himself to have the skills to lead and hold the clan together.

I would have given Eric a chance if showed he knew how to work with others, and lead them but he shows me to much individualism then leaderships skills

Lamar idea to bring weaker blood (bondsmen) into the warrior class isn't going to help us, and can you really trust them to be loyal.

Nahuel, while it would be nice to let him show his skills this isn't Snow Ravens, and his skill set isn't what going to earn him respect from the rest of the Jaguars
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 01 March 2017, 15:25:00 »
Quote from: Worktroll

Yes I voted for Furey as I felt the young warriors would vote for the younger of the more conservative picks, and I would consider this a necessity

Sorry Bradshaw, I liked to get as much input as possible for these scenarios and it has been fun. :) Don't be afraid to mention that it was your Star Adder MechWarrior that caused all of this election nonsense. If it was not for her lucky last ditch alpha strike who knows what would have happened.

It was my honor to trounce the SJ with the Star Adder forces.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2017, 15:32:00 by Bradshaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #42 on: 01 March 2017, 18:43:04 »
Thanks for voting and justifying your selection DOC_Argen.

Your just lucky you won the initiative Bradshaw or I would have made mince meat out of your precious Star Adders. ;)

Two final canon character endorsements should round out that series.

Mikhail Ward is a Wolf Clan abtakha who was taken by the Smoke Jaguars during the Operation Revival Refusal Trial. He returned to warrior status quickly and was posted to the 1st Jaguar Guards during the invasion of the InnerSphere. Fighting in five different planetary assaults including Luthien and Tukayyid he proved to be an excellent warrior. Despite his best efforts the Guards were mauled in both engagements and at the conclusion of fighting with the ComGuards he was discovered to be the lone survivor. Promoted to Star Colonel he has worked hard to restore his old command to combat status which maybe accomplished early next year. This ristar MechWarrior who pilots a Warhawk is currently the frontrunner to become the next commander of Beta Galaxy this well respected combat veteran backs Devon Osis as the next saKhan.

Jin Mehta is another Jaguar high commander with a Wolf bloodname who has been noted for his highly focused, tenacious, and aggressive mindset. This staunch Crusader MechWarrior pilots a Dire Wolf from which he commands Epsilon Galaxy. While his tactical abilities are somewhat limited Jin has natural strategic talents that make him a potentially gifted large scale commander. As he was selected for his command by Khan Lincoln Osis it should come as no surprise that he strongly backs his protégé, Devon Osis, for the position of saKhan.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 01 March 2017, 19:08:35 »
Okay, plot twist (my son just saw an M Night Shamalamalinglang movie ...)

Devon Osis challenges Eric Furey. The threat of allowing corruption of the Warrior caste is unacceptable, and Osis and Furey are splitting the true faith vote between them, allowing Kotare to sneak ahead. Allowing Kotare to rise to the saKhan position therefore cannot be accepted. True Smoke Jaguar warriors must unite to prevent this.

And what better means of uniting these factions than whaling the beeswax out of each other using the sacred Clan ritual of Trial? Osis challenges Furey for his support, and those of his supporters, to prevent the greater threat posed by Kotare. Furey of course has the choice to choose augumented/unaugumented. The victor gains the votes of the loser. Thus Osis honours Clan tradition, Furey's undoubted battle prowess, and indicates he is prepared to place himself on the line to maintain Clan honour and purity.

Takiro, how big a monkey-wrench would this throw into your plans?  O:-)

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 01 March 2017, 21:49:24 »
Cue Kotare declaring a Trial of Possession for the Winner's votes. Badly damaged and tired, the winner is unlikely to win the second Trial, giving Kotare an easy victory. Thus neither will do so.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 01 March 2017, 22:28:24 »
Reasonably sure that such tactics would be viewed as cynical and dishonorable, and definitely un-Clan-like. But let's see what Takiro has to say.

(Come on - that bird ain't going to fly. Otherwise every decision would be challenged like this. The Clans let the Trial speak for itself.)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #46 on: 01 March 2017, 23:12:09 »
Trothkin, I, Liam Nevversan, shall be heard.

I have seen our enemy. Felled at Black Luthien, taken as a captive, held for years, I have seen their heart. I have seen their true, perverse strength. I know the words of a failed, defeated, old warrior mean nothing to so many of you, even as the defeated begin to outnumber the victorious. We hide behind tradition, cast blame to all others but ourselves, all to avoid facing the truth. We are a failing, dying clan, and we face an enemy that will hasten us to that end. 

We do not face honorable combat. We face an enemy that cares nothing for honor.
We do not face a scattered host, we face an army with resources and numbers beyond our ability to match.
We do not seek to rule tiny enclaves of cowed lower castes, we face billions who have never known the structure of the clan system.
We do not have allies, we are surrounded by opportunistic predators who will turn on us at every sign of weakness.

If the Jaguar cannot evolve, the Jaguar will die. If we cannot evolve, we should die, to make way for those who will, as has been our way since our founding.

Only Loremaster Kotare recognizes this. To make any other choice is to embrace our end.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #47 on: 02 March 2017, 07:22:38 »
It does not throw a monkey wrench into my plans at all as you will see. ;)

There can be no challenges during the vote especially after it has begun. Wait till it's conclusion and I think you will be pleased with the results. O0

I'll have to get in character a little bit "It is good to hear from my old friend Liam Nevversan. May his return to our Clan mark our return to glory."
« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 20:16:48 by Takiro »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #48 on: 02 March 2017, 20:16:59 »
Well folks there is a little over twelve hours remaining till the polls close here on the forum and while some clear favorites have emerged the election is still anyone’s to grab. You know who the candidates are, which canon characters support them, and their planned prestige units should they be selected. Now I do have something planned which will come from all of this that should be posted tomorrow as soon as I get home. It should be a lot of fun but your votes still matter and could take things in a very unexpected direction. Personally, I can’t wait to see what is going to happen. Thanks again to everyone who has already participated by voting and speaking out on your views either plainly or in character. Will the Smoke Jaguar Clan embrace a new direction, go down a very different path, or stick to its identity till the very end whatever that maybe? You decide!
« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 20:19:18 by Takiro »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 02 March 2017, 21:15:24 »
Tokare's vision:

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 02 March 2017, 21:16:27 »
i believe the Jaguars voice has spoken.
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #51 on: 02 March 2017, 22:14:44 »
Tokare's vision

LOL, not quite as cute. :D

This contest was created because there were several different possibilities and I had no clue which one will win. In fact this whole thing could throw a monkey wrench into my original plans for the Smoke Jaguars. After it is all over I will disclose who my choice for saKhan but I am having a lot of fun with this. Hope you are too!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 03 March 2017, 08:10:00 »
I think most Smoke Jaguars view themselves more akin to this

Although Elementals might be closer to that size.  And even with Kotare's reforms should he be elected and win any Trial of Refusal, they still basically would be that.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 03 March 2017, 09:01:29 »
I believe the visceral attitude of the Clan warriors will only grow worse with the addition of the mongoose bloodnamed and freeborns to the ranks of the Solhama and the introduction Freebirth units.   
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #54 on: 03 March 2017, 09:01:49 »
Okay, plot twist (my son just saw an M Night Shamalamalinglang movie ...)

Devon Osis challenges Eric Furey. The threat of allowing corruption of the Warrior caste is unacceptable, and Osis and Furey are splitting the true faith vote between them, allowing Kotare to sneak ahead. Allowing Kotare to rise to the saKhan position therefore cannot be accepted. True Smoke Jaguar warriors must unite to prevent this.

And what better means of uniting these factions than whaling the beeswax out of each other using the sacred Clan ritual of Trial? Osis challenges Furey for his support, and those of his supporters, to prevent the greater threat posed by Kotare. Furey of course has the choice to choose augumented/unaugumented. The victor gains the votes of the loser. Thus Osis honours Clan tradition, Furey's undoubted battle prowess, and indicates he is prepared to place himself on the line to maintain Clan honour and purity.

Takiro, how big a monkey-wrench would this throw into your plans?  O:-)

Eric Furey challenges Devon Osis to a thumb wrestling competition I agree and whole heartily approve, well maybe not that ridiculous of a trial something that allows the other to win without risk of injury to challenge Kotare.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 10:15:54 by Bradshaw »

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 03 March 2017, 10:26:01 »
I believe the visceral attitude of the Clan warriors will only grow worse with the addition of the mongoose bloodnamed and freeborns to the ranks of the Solhama and the introduction Freebirth units.

Agreed I also could see this as causing Star Adder to attack Smoke Jaguar maybe even an absorption as they hated Mongoose and hated Smoke Jaguar for absorbing them originally now with the current events that seem to be playing out (this trial and seemingly new sakhan and ideas) Star Adder will really hate Smoke Jaguar.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 11:29:04 by Bradshaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #56 on: 03 March 2017, 11:25:41 »
Only about 2 hours left till the polls close, get your votes in Jaguars or forever hold your peace! ;)

You guys could be right about the Jaguar trueborn warriors but the distance between them and the lower castes maybe effectively buffered by the introduction of this second and third tier warrior caste.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 03 March 2017, 11:54:15 »
well we know that the Jaguar used Freebirth Clusters and named them such.    i could see them using the absorbed warriors of the Mongoose for Solhama clusters equating them to panetary militias, and freebirth clusters for site defense units or city defense.  i didnt know that the Star Adders hated Mongoose, i knew they had legitimate anger toward them but that seemed to die out when they took the enclave and slaughtered the mongoose unit. 
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 03 March 2017, 12:05:55 »
well we know that the Jaguar used Freebirth Clusters and named them such.    i could see them using the absorbed warriors of the Mongoose for Solhama clusters equating them to panetary militias, and freebirth clusters for site defense units or city defense.  i didnt know that the Star Adders hated Mongoose, i knew they had legitimate anger toward them but that seemed to die out when they took the enclave and slaughtered the mongoose unit.

Star Adder was in the middle of reclaiming a handful of  planets I believe from Mongoose at the time Smoke Jaguar initiated the absorption trial. Causing them to hate SJ for interfering in what they thought was their battle. Mongoose picked on Star Adder and Blood Spirit a lot in their early years. I recall reading.

Just reread things on sarna.net to confirm my memories.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Star_Adder
&
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Mongoose

And for my argument against Kotare
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Smoke_Jaguar
The success of the Smoke Jaguars' military endeavors only furthered the discrimination the ruling warrior caste directed towards not only their own civilians but freeborns as well, until even their very existence was scorned. Though all Clans valued the warrior caste above others and directed some measure of contempt towards freebirths, the Smoke Jaguar Clan took this to an entirely new level, leading to much greater resentment among those ostensibly meant to support the warriors' ability to fight.

« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 12:36:54 by Bradshaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #59 on: 03 March 2017, 12:31:41 »
I think the Jaguars hate the Adders for a couple of reasons. Yes, Mongoose had taken several possessions from Star Adder prior to their Absorption. When the Jaguars claimed that Clan the Adders took the opportunity to reclaim their lost territories. The Jags didn't take kindly to that action as they claimed all of Mongoose possessions and viewed the Adders as interfering in their absorption.

The philosophies of both Clans are also opposites with the exception of them being Crusaders. Adder pragmatism is viewed as all talk by the hyper aggressive Jaguars. The more strategic thinking Adders think the Jaguars leap before they look foolishly. So it's a personality conflict at its core that divides them IMO.

I take an opposite view of the Freebirth Cluster as the word has a different meaning to the Clans. It is a curse word essentially reflecting on the persons question birthright. So it could have been a Solhama Clusters berated by the Clan for poor performance or grave misdeeds. Had it been a Freeborn Cluster then I would agree with you but the prejudice against fielding those types of warriors was likely far too much for the Clan to overcome at the time.

ONE HOUR LEFT TO VOTE FOLKS!

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #60 on: 03 March 2017, 14:25:00 »
Well folks that is it. So the final tally is 30 votes. 5 for Montizima, 6 for Furey, 8 for Osis, and the winner with 11 is saKhan Lamar Kotare.

Thanks to everyone who voted and participated in our discussion. Please stay tuned for more news in about an hour and half.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #61 on: 03 March 2017, 16:01:19 »
As the results of the election were read aloud by the Oathmaster for all to hear many Jaguar Bloodnamed could simply not believe it. All around the Clan Council looks of surprise disappointment were mixed with shocked approval from the warrior assembly. In the center of it all Khan Lincoln Osis added to the high anxiety of the moment coolly wearing a sly grin on his face that must have been hiding massive dissatisfaction. Despite all his efforts Star Colonel Devon Osis had come up short with less than 27 percent of the vote. This stinging rebuke by his own warriors sent a clear message to the leader of the Jaguars that he and his allies bore the responsibility for the Clan’s recent shortcomings.

Despite Loremaster Lamar Kotare’s radical plans and his advanced age he garnered almost 38 percent of the vote in the Clan Council. While most of his support came from aging second line units and lower ranked warriors these ‘survivors’ as some of the younger unblooded had come to call them clearly turned their back on Osis. To make matters worse the independent minded Star Colonel Erik Furey had amassed another 20 percent of the electorate even though many acknowledged this fine warrior’s lack of experience. Jaguar supremacists also weighed in giving Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima just under 17 percent with strong backing coming from the underutilized naval arm of the Clan.

Many were doubtlessly expecting a volcanic eruption from their Elemental supreme commander of unmitigated rage but there was nothing. Only that cat like expression and absolutely silence as the votes were tallied. Nodding to acknowledge the outcome the Khan finally spoke “Only Smoke Jaguar warriors who prove themselves leaders in battle are called Khan by our Clan.” He glanced over at Devon Osis who began “By the rede of our people, command cannot be assumed. Command must be taken and held. Won with honor, sealed in blood.” All present recognized the words of the Smoke Jaguar change of command ceremony taught in every sibko. Lamar Kotare simply remarked “Command is mine to take and I select augmented combat to defend the will of the Jaguar.”

Not to be outdone Nahuel Montizima quickly interjected “I will not sit idly bye as the purity of my Clan is decided by others unworthy of such high office. If you seek this command you must defeat me as well.” Before anyone could intervene Erik Furey demanded “I have just as much right to this station as any of these claimants. Any who wishes to prove themselves worthy must also defeat me.” The Khan stood “Well bargained and done” he roared “in this solemn matter let none interfere” and so began the four-way battle for the saKhanship of Clan Smoke Jaguar. The contest will essentially be two one on one trials fought simultaneously in order to come one final showdown between the top two contenders. The winner and saKhan will have to defeat at least two of their rivals in all out combat. Let the best warrior win!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 03 March 2017, 16:54:50 »
Which warship will Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima bring to the trial. >:D :D ;D O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #63 on: 03 March 2017, 17:44:39 »
LMAO, the Veiled Huntress of course! :D

Go big or go home!!

My friends and I already went through choosing our character for tomorrow's Smoke Jaguar saKhan Trial of Position event. Gus is the only one who has not signed online here but the others you may know. Cheer them on if you like.

Lamar Kotare (Warhawk OmniMech - Mechwarrior 3/2) [Gus]
Devon Osis (Dire Wolf Prime OmniMech - Mechwarrior 2/2) [Takiro]
Erik Furey (Executioner OmniMech - Mechwarrior 1/1) [Winterwolf]
Nahuel Montizima (Sabutai OmniFighter - Aerospace Pilot 2/1) [Bradshaw]

Where each candidate finished in the voting will determine their first round initiative. Noon start time, stay tuned to see the outcome! Who wins? Who dies? I will try to keep track of it all.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2017, 07:48:03 by Takiro »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 04 March 2017, 01:46:36 »
An old-fashioned, winner-take-all donnybrook. Let the blood flow so that the Clan may go stronger
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 04 March 2017, 02:11:35 »
So Kotare Versus Montizima and Osis Versus Furey?

Or Kotare versus Osis and Montizima Versus Furey?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #66 on: 04 March 2017, 08:04:59 »
You got it Sharpnel, worktroll sort of jumped the gun a bit with his suggestion but was essentially correct. This is where the issue would always end up in this Clan. The concept of a Trial of Position for Khanship  is something I always wanted to explore with the Smoke Jaguars since reading Grave Covenant and Impetus of War. In Grave Covenant we learn that the Jaguars call many warriors Khan since the position has to be earned through combat essentially  (page 260 I believe). Then Impetus of War has the Jaguar change of command ceremony which involves Devon Osis actually. So with this four battle the winner can say I have earned the position of saKhan through combat.

It should be interesting James Tanaga who takes who initially in the Trial. Kotare gets to choose first much like il Khan Crichell did in his trial versus Vlad who gave him the first hit in their Grand Council fisticuffs. Who would you choose? Tell me why? That establishes the other fight unless someone goes Grand Melee.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 04 March 2017, 08:16:30 »
If, I'm Kotare I would take on Osis first. He's the primary competitor and fights in a Mech that should be a near match to his Dire Wolf (depending how each Mech is configured, of course). Montizima would be the last choice as it is fairly unpredictable how the fighter will attack the Mech. If I'm Montizima I load up as much large pulsers as possible and sneak in a gauss rifle and fight from a stand-off position prior to closing in with fairly accurate strafing runs. The Executioner is a poor choice for an assault Mech when compared to other two Mechs. I wish Furey all the luck of Kerensky because he' going to need it.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #68 on: 04 March 2017, 08:29:29 »
The only configuration I know of for certain going in is Devon Osis Dire Wolf Prime. It is his favored from the books so we will stick with it. What about the others, how or what should they have?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #69 on: 04 March 2017, 08:36:33 »
Would the four really be fighting on equal footing? It would make the outcome of the election completely meaningless. Have the Smoke Jaguars deviated so far from Clan custom in that regard?

I mean, I can see a Trial of Refusal over the election results coming from one or more of the losing candidates. But in Trials of Refusal, the challenger fights odds equal to the results of the vote they are trying to overturn. Which would mean, for example, that Montizima and Furey each would have about half the firepower or weight or whatever that Kotare brings to the Trial, and Osis around three quarters. I know you´re modifying the participants´ initiative according to the outcome of the vote, but I´m not sure if that is anywhere near significant enough to reflect the odds the challengers are supposed to fight.

Perhaps a more accurate reflection of the vote totals would be to pit Kotare´s Warhawk against Osis in a Cauldron Born, Montizima in a Batu and Furey in a Shadow Cat.
-Frederick the Great

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #70 on: 04 March 2017, 11:28:46 »
You bring up a very good point Sir Chaos, let me run some numbers and maybe we will choose new Mechs for Kotare's three opponents to account for the vote.

We've talked it over and your absolutely right on your suggestion from Mechs to use (we ran the numbers against the vote tally against the Kotare's Warhawk). So here is the roster for the battle as of now. We are choosing configurations.

Lamar Kotare (Warhawk C OmniMech - Mechwarrior 3/2) [Gus]
Devon Osis (Ebon Jaguar OmniMech - Mechwarrior 2/2) [Takiro]
Erik Furey (Shadow Cat OmniMech - Mechwarrior 1/1) [Winterwolf]
Nahuel Montizima (Batu OmniFighter - Aerospace Pilot 2/1) [Bradshaw]
« Last Edit: 04 March 2017, 12:23:24 by Takiro »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 04 March 2017, 13:51:07 »
I feel sorry for Montizima being in the tiny Batu. He should go Prime or variation that replaces the ER Large laser

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #72 on: 04 March 2017, 14:31:28 »
You bring up a very good point Sir Chaos,

your absolutely right on your suggestion

I´ll never grow tired of reading stuff like this.  ;D

Montizima would probably be best off in the B variant - short range isn´t an issue for ground attacks, and taking seven medium pulse lasers into the rear is going to hurt even a Warhawk. The relative fragility of his fighter isn´t going to be as much of a problem, because Osis and Furey will concentrate on Kotare first to prevent him from winning, and Kotare is going to have to concentrate on Osis and Furey in turn; Osis, Furey and Montizima seem to despire Kotare and what he means for the Jaguars more than they do each other, so I´d absolutely expect them to have an informal truce until Kotare is taken care off - they know that, even in pristine condition, neither of them is strong enough to defeat Kotare.
-Frederick the Great

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #73 on: 04 March 2017, 16:56:30 »
All hail saKhan Naheul Montizima!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #74 on: 04 March 2017, 17:21:40 »
Interesting times coming up, for the Smoke Jaguars and anyone they are up against. Enjoy!
-Frederick the Great

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #75 on: 04 March 2017, 22:08:00 »
I did not expect to win this battle, it was all a matter of luck and taking advantage of the opportunities given.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 04 March 2017, 23:17:09 »
But did Montizuma win as a Jaguar warrior, or by skulking while others clashed?

An honourless win is going to cause problems. Tell us the rede of it!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 05 March 2017, 01:47:46 »
All hail saKhan Naheul Montizima!
WTF?! How in the heck did that happen?

[ic]My choice in voting for Montizima has been vindicated in the blood of his foes. May the Clan be stronger for his victory. Seyla!

But did Montizuma win as a Jaguar warrior, or by skulking while others clashed?

An honourless win is going to cause problems. Tell us the rede of it!
I would assume he used his fighters superior speed and simply strafed the living heck out of his foes.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2017, 06:29:28 by Sharpnel »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 05 March 2017, 02:42:46 »
I must know how this battle panned out.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 05 March 2017, 03:42:03 »
That was... unexpected.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #80 on: 05 March 2017, 06:57:09 »
I must know how this battle panned out.

Same here.
-Frederick the Great

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #81 on: 05 March 2017, 07:25:10 »
I'll let Takiro give the detailed version, but what happened is that Osis and Kotare engaged first from long range and in their second volley Osis in a Cauldron Born took off Kotares head with a well placed Gauss Shot.

Meanwhile Furey and Montizima were still attempting to get into range as Osis already now had taken out his opponent engaged Furey before he could formally engage Monitizima. Furey devastated by the barrage in his Shadow Cat and then a unfortunate freezing of his MASC system was quickly knocked to the ground. Montizima seeing this from his Batu assumed he was out of the battle as he was unable to get up from his view then engaged Osis but causing a Grand Melee as Furey had not withdrawn from the battle and was still trying fire from his prone position.

Montizima was able to take advantage of the previous damage done to Osis by Furey and was able to take out the remaining torso causing two engine hits and then in the next round successfully hit another part of his engine in the Center Torso.

Furey refusing to give up was then fired upon by Montizima who fired upon the warrior and finishing the last of his internals in his CT

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 05 March 2017, 11:30:53 »
Wait one minute, that is not the mechs listed above for the trial,

Lamar Kotare (Warhawk OmniMech - Mechwarrior 3/2) [Gus]
Devon Osis (Dire Wolf Prime OmniMech - Mechwarrior 2/2) [Takiro]
Erik Furey (Executioner OmniMech - Mechwarrior 1/1) [Winterwolf]
Nahuel Montizima (Sabutai OmniFighter - Aerospace Pilot 2/1) [Bradshaw]
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #83 on: 05 March 2017, 12:11:11 »
[Quite right wolfcannon, it was correctly pointed out by Sir Chaos above that the participants should be piloting war machines that reflected the vote of the Council. As Kotare won the vote he elected to remain with his Warhawk and the rest were lighter based off that. Enjoy the report below folks as always your opinions are welcomed.]

Lootera Plains, Huntress
February 28, 3053

Four combatants awaited the order to begin approximately nine hundred meters (30 hexes) apart on the vast plains of the Smoke Jaguar homeworld. Rain swept the field as Khan Lincoln Osis observed the candidates from his armor along with the rest of the Bloodnamed assembled. saKhan Lamar Kotare had selected to utilize his personal Warhawk as the winner of the election as was his right. By Clan tradition the elder Loremaster could have chosen another 'Mech to defend his position like a Dire Wolf but years of combat experience had best prepared him for what the InnerSphere called the 'Masakari' on this day. Configured into a modified 'C' with another Large Pulse Laser replacing an ER PPC and an ER Small Laser replacing the Flamer he stood the greatest chance of success with overwhelming accurate firepower.

His opponents were forced to choose from tonnage equivalent to their voting totals in respect to Kotare's. This meant that Star Colonel Devon Osis would get to pick from the sixty-five ton OmniMech category. While this presented him with four possibilities there was really only one choice, the Ebon Jaguar, and thanks to his support within the Clan one was readied specifically for his personalized use. By placing a Gauss Rifle in the right arm and an ER PPC with a Large Pulse Laser in the left technicians had carefully balanced the heat concerns so often experiences by Mechwarriors when using the design. Two LRM-5s placed in the torsos rounded out the custom configuration which was geared for distanced combat.

The third place finish that Star Colonel Erik Furey received entitled him to receive an OmniMech massing forty-five tons. There were three designs available for his use from which he selected the Shadow Cat. Supporters among the Clan allowed him to build a custom configuration around an ER PPC placed in the right arm, two LRM-10s placed in each torso, and an ER Medium Laser in the left arm. Adding three Double Heat Sinks helped deal with extra weapon heat generated by this arsenal. Rounding out the competition was a forty ton Batu OmniFighter piloted by Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima which his allies in the naval service equipped with twin Large Pulse Lasers and an ER Medium Laser all linked to a Targeting Computer.

Satisfied all was ready he roared "begin" instantly launching the participants into action with the highest vote winners having the honor of going first. Kotare deliberately walked toward the middle of the battlefield, while Osis charged hard at the very same center as Furey swung his war machine around at Osis. All the while Nahuel Montizima lofted above it all gingerly guiding his fighter at the newly elected saKhan. Lamar gauged his greatest threat as the Ebon Jaguar which he engaged at distance leaving Furey to fight Montizima even though their initial lateral movement took them well outside effective combat range. Of the three Large Pulse Lasers and the ER PPC he fired only a single laser volley found its mark on his opponent’s left torso. Devon returned fire from his main guns electing not to fire his missiles with almost equal results, a Large Pulse striking his opponents torso.

Furey seemed to get the edge on his rivals activating his Shadow Cat’s MASC to charge forward at the only unengaged combatant Montizima. Osis now aware who his adversary was slowed his pace forward intending to use the range of his weapons to the greatest effect. Acknowledging Kotare and Osis as engaged Montizima slowly turned his craft to face Furey but both warriors remained out of range. Perhaps it was old age that caught Kotare watching the actions of his opponents as he ramped the speed up on his Warhawk closing distance with the Ebon Jaguar. The blinding flash of light from Osis’ weaponry was the last thing the would be saKhan could remember as a Gauss slug from his rival tore his Warhawk’s head off. Luckily the automatic ejection system had functioned properly carrying the wounded Loremaster safely to the ground.

Cheers went up from the Clan Council as even the Khan caught himself smiling thankful to be rid of such a radical threat to the Jaguars. As the pilotless Warhawk tumbled backwards onto the ground Osis fresh from his victory sprinted at the yet unengaged combatants. Cursing them for their tepid approach to battle he fired on Erik Furey who had just come into range of Nahuel Montizima. Angered at this interference Furey responded in kind with a furious volley of his own all the while the aerospace pilot overhead watched. Keen on maximizing his maneuverability against such a heavy foe Furey attempted to trigger his MASC for a second time but there was no response as the legs of his Shadow Cat locked up. Both warriors fired again but unable to move Furey’s ‘Mech was knocked to the ground by withering fire from Devon Osis.

Furey whose Shadow Cat had fallen face down refused to eject firing defiantly backwards with his still working ER PPC in his right arm which could flip three hundred sixty degrees. Star Admiral Montizima had seen enough recognizing his time was at hand he fired into the Ebon Jaguar’s chest with his lasers. Outraged and now reeling from damage inflicted by three opponents Osis returned fire but only hit the Batu with a single Large Pulse Laser in the fighter’s nose. As a sort of Grand Melee ensued with Furey refusing to bow out Osis and Montizima furiously maneuvered for advantage. Now in at close range the ‘Aztec’ whipped his fighter around for the kill executing a tight combat turn which he successfully pulled off, albeit barely. Osis struck by Furey and Montizima now struggled to hit his aerial rival with a full out alpha strike but could only manage a single LRM strike to the nose.

A crippling volley by Montizima struck the Ebon Jaguar’s Gauss Rifle causing a massive explosion. Osis circled around Furey’s downed Shadow Cat where he could not be struck by his ER PPC and prepared to fire again on the Batu but the Star Admiral was too fast. Another laser volley tore through Osis’ torso disabling his engine and ending his participation in the combat Trial. The grounded Shadow Cat below did manage to make one single hit on the Batu’s wing above but today’s duel had already been decided. It was only a matter of time till Montizima finished off the immobile Furey below. Two more volleys of lasers from above were enough to finally destroy the last of his ground based adversaries. The assembly watch Khan Osis who was happy to be rid of the troublesome Kotare even if his preferred candidate did not win the day.

While Montizima’s opportunistic tactics and supremacist politics were questionable the Clan needed to come together. There would be no more talk of radical liberal reforms among his people and Osis was convinced he could work with the extremist to unite the Jaguars. Finally, they could focus on rebuilding the Touman and getting back to conquering the InnerSphere as they should be. Keying his microphone the Khan Osis announced ‘All hail saKhan Naheul Montizima!’

Calderon

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: 05 March 2017, 13:05:13 »
Damn mask!

Calderon

• Recruit
« Reply #85 on: 05 March 2017, 13:06:33 »
And it's Calderon not winterwolf.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 05 March 2017, 15:25:58 »
Great write-up.

As a side note, by the TW rules MASC does not freeze the legs completely, but you probably know it already.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #87 on: 05 March 2017, 15:34:35 »
Great write-up.

As a side note, by the TW rules MASC does not freeze the legs completely, but you probably know it already.

Actually I didn't know that, I've never read TW and we've always played failure of masc froze leg myomers not allowing any movement

I'm assuming they changed the rules at some point
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Myomer_Accelerator_Signal_Circuitry

Because this states immobilized
« Last Edit: 05 March 2017, 15:41:04 by Bradshaw »

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #88 on: 05 March 2017, 15:46:02 »
Actually I didn't know that, I've never read TW and we've always played failure of masc froze leg myomers not allowing any movement

It was changed since then, probably because it was thought to be too harsh. Now, on a failure you only automatically assign a crit hit to each leg, determining which part exactly took it as usual. From the rule formulation, you can even soak the leg with DHS.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #89 on: 05 March 2017, 16:32:43 »
Learn something new every day but I've been playing the game 25+years and it's hard for this old dog to learn all the new tricks. I stopped paying attention to new stuff once they started the Jihad story arc.

Wasn't until Takiro started his alternative histories I got back into it

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #90 on: 05 March 2017, 17:10:15 »
The rede of combat has been spoken. Ivan Showers mentally reviewed the roster of his Trinary, wondering how many would be considered tainted by the new saKhan for their history and heritage. Perhaps some could be moved to command positions in second-line units, lest they be totally lost to the Clan. Fine warriors, those he had bonded with in the cleansing flame of battle, should not be totally discarded.

Still, should Montizuma influence the Khan, there will be battle a-plenty. That thought brought a smile to his face.

Just a thought, here, Takiro - don't know whether it's intentional or not. But Montizuma's philosophy sounds a lot like the beginnings of the Mongol doctrine, which in the mainline appeared much later, and amongst the Jade Falcons. The Smoke Jaguars seem a natural place for such a philosophy to take root, and the use of terror tactics against those who behave dishonourably may well appeal to Montizuma. "Obey or die" is a natural approach, after all, for our Clan ...

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #91 on: 05 March 2017, 17:29:59 »
Never one to hold his tongue, Liam Nevversan muses, openly and loudly.

"Our new saKhan rails against the threat of outsiders, and yet embraces the Snow Ravens, lurking at the edges of battle like a scavenger, seeking to pick off those already weakened by his betters."
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #92 on: 05 March 2017, 18:20:50 »
(OC) Feel like starting a Jade Falcon fanclub?  :D

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #93 on: 05 March 2017, 18:45:34 »
funny enough I joked around that the Society may have mixed some Jade Falcon lineage into his batch.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #94 on: 05 March 2017, 18:53:34 »
And before I forget, thanks to Takiro and his group for sharing this with us. I had a lot of fun digging out the old SJ mindset, and - even if it's not the outcome I would have preferred - at least Devon Osis can claim to have "opened Tokare's mind" to his errors  ;)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #95 on: 05 March 2017, 20:22:19 »
LMAO! :D

First off, I have to thank everyone here for getting involved and adding to our experience while my alternate universe continues to unfold. Hopefully it is as enjoyable to you as it was to us. A word on the players involved - Gus is the newest to BattleTech and in this scenario was the only one to back Kotare thus he got to use him in our little Trial here. Talking it over with him today things might of unfolded differently if he went after Montizima first as he was best equipped to take him down (Pulse Lasers and Targeting Computer) but I think it was very Jaguar of him to go after his largest perhaps most formidable opponent (Osis). Unfortunately it did not work out for him but it could have very well started a slugfest which he ultimately could have won. Might have been interesting if the other two opponents had engaged each other and beat up on themselves in any scenario. ;)

Calderon aka Winterwolf is a life long friend and we have been playing BattleTech since the early 90s, a long time ago when MASCs actually immobilized you! Funny story I remember playing what I thought was an olde timer in the mid-90s whose era was the 3025s - we gave him a whole battalion versus are supped up Clan lance and beat him down pretty bad. Ah the good olde days, Bradshaw will probably remember. Anyhow Calderon got Furey who everyone else in my group including me voted for in the poll here; surprise, surprise. I had some pretty good ideas for his regime but now oh well. While I question some of his decisions like charging laterally at me rather than into the center initially to engage anyone and trying to use his MASC twice in a row upon review I do have to say he played his character rather well. Furey is an excellent warrior just not a farsighted one I guess and if not for some bad luck things might have been very different.

Bradshaw I first met when I was introduced to BattleTech so long ago and despite being a 'Snow Raven' as Liam so rightfully points out it has been a lot fun. He played Montizima well as a tactically opportunistic opponent who despite his loathsome politics (we were calling him MechaHitler all day) is quite adept as a warrior. While the Jaguars fate maybe sealed in the long run (who knows really but hey just a guess) the character does add a dimension to our favorite 'Space Nazis'. I got Osis and I don't think I did a bad job, came pretty damn close to winning IMO. Could I have waited for Furey and Montizima to engage? I suppose so but then I wouldn't be a Smoke Jaguar. No challenge had been formally made and fire exchanged between the two which ticked me off. Actually got punished for beating Kotare so quick. Had the other two fought the survivor would have surely been defeated by Osis who only took 10 points of damage to his left torso. Surprised more folks ain't ticked off at Montizima for striking Osis before the duel had ended with Furey.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

After the trial had concluded we sat down and considered some things regarding its effects. Regarding personnel saKhan Montizima will be taking a more active role as commander of Alpha Galaxy as well as implementing day to day decisions while Khan Osis continues to heal. Devon Osis is to be promoted to Galaxy Commander in charge of Beta pending a valid Trial of Position for said rank - thus keeping an undesirable abtakha like Star Colonel Mikhal Ward in his current position. Needing a new Aide de Camp and Champion to defend his position while he recovers Khan Lincoln Osis has installed Star Colonel Erik Furey in this role. Loremaster Lamar Kotare is the big question mark whose time seems to be short.

We have not resolved exactly what will happen to him yet but one thing is for sure - he and his supporters are marked men. He is badly hurt as a result of his duel and his supporters are no doubt under fire by Team Osis-Montizima. Love to hear what you guys think his fate should be. How bad are his injuries (5 MechWarrior hits during that gauss slug to the head)? Will another Clan claim him and other undesirables the Jaguars no longer want? Would he escape to join the Bandit Caste whose influence might be on the rise in this Clan after his fall and Montizima's rise? Suicide is of course an option as well is murder by rivals within the Clan, after all what lengths will these Jaguar Supremacist go to win?

Montizima's first reform to enhance the strength of the Clan is to permit a Third Trial of Position for Smoke Jaguar Trueborn Warriors who if successful can go onto serve in the Watch or Clan police forces (aka third line troops needed). I am considering letting Warriors test up or down in this three tier system on a limited basis but as of now better pass your first Trial or it is all down hill for you Jaguar fans. ;)

Streamlining the Touman by establishing a new five trinary ceiling on Clusters helped create a new formation, Montizima's Jaguar Knights now the new core of Alpha Galaxy. Yes, Star Colonel Babur Rakhmatulina did barely pass his Trial to take the commanding officer title there. We got ride of the Jaguar Cavalier designation (now just the 3rd Assault Cluster) and the Striker Cluster which maybe his biggest reform. Light Clusters will now be known as the Smoke Reavers and they will concentrate in Delta Galaxy fighting the InnerSphere. Equipped with Light OmniMechs (Mist Lynx, Arctic Cheetah, etc), Naval Elementals and Naval Aerospace Pilots they will mercilessly attack House Kurita. While the Reavers get a full trinary of aerospace fighters other clusters in the touman will likely get a star or maybe two which is a big cause not too many units had integral fighter support.

In addition to this aerospace upgrade expect to see naval units play a more vital role. We were thinking the Jaguars may focus on capturing Jumpships especially from the InnerSphere to enhance their own transport abilities while making it difficult for their enemies to strike at them.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

One of the reasons I went with Reavers name was the Wars of Reaving. Speeding things up seems to be a theme in this whole alternate universe. Hopefully you guys can explain the terms Tainted and Mongol Doctrine to my friends and how they might impact the story going forward.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #96 on: 05 March 2017, 21:50:29 »
If the mongol doctrine is like the mongols of genghis khan fame I'm assuming it's fear and terror mixed with a little scorched earth

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #97 on: 05 March 2017, 21:52:08 »
There's a good discussion pf the Mongol doctrine  in this thread here.

TO quote Hawkeye Jim from that thread about the historical ones, "Standard Mongol doctrine was to make enemies so afraid of the them that they would surrender without fighting. If they did, they were simply integrated into the Mongol system as citizens."

The flip side being if they didn't, they were annihilated. Survivors were allowed to carry word of the Mongol atrocities to the next town/city, to the point where the arrival of the Mongols caused cities to surrender & become part of the empire.

Malvina Hazen of the Jade Falcons took this up and used it to make a series of successes, leading to her achieving leadership of her Clan. Without spoiling later stages, she decried those who were soft on Spheroids and lower castes, fought "to the knife" and beyond at the slightest provocation, and even invoked the Lawn Dart rule with big objects. And yes, this often cowed people into surrendering, or (internally) not opposing her.

Taint - a concept arising in the Home Clans. The Invading Clans were getting the spoils - the Clan homeworlds are very resource limited and few in numbers compared to even small IS holdings. The Invading Clans also began to change away from the Home World's view of the Clan vision - eg. Care Bears & Dominions, the Lyran Lap-Wolves, and the insane Jade Falcons. Plus they were getting more booty! So they were obviously Tainted by contact with the Sphere, and it was only right for those left behind to administer purifying beatings & steal their stuff ;)

W.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 05 March 2017, 21:52:44 »
If the mongol doctrine is like the mongols of genghis khan fame I'm assuming it's fear and terror mixed with a little scorched earth

Mostly it's maneuver, terror, and crazy.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 06 March 2017, 01:56:06 »
Regarding Kotare and the 5 MechWarrior hits received courtesy of the Gauss, I would just kill him off. Just say that he is comatose and brain dead. Just turn off his life support and he will die a belated Warrior's Death.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 06 March 2017, 03:48:11 »
Well my Chap best be looking over his shoulder from the sound of it :p.  I suppose you could offer the 'unwanted' up in a harvest trial, a case of 'here give me those and i'll give you these'.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #101 on: 06 March 2017, 11:01:56 »
Regarding Kotare and the 5 MechWarrior hits received courtesy of the Gauss, I would just kill him off. Just say that he is comatose and brain dead. Just turn off his life support and he will die a belated Warrior's Death.

This works for me. The more I think about it I can't see a clan harvesting an elder and likely deformed now Loremaster. Id rather him die in a coma than Bondsref

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #102 on: 06 March 2017, 11:21:00 »
"Our new saKhan rails against the threat of outsiders, and yet embraces the Snow Ravens, lurking at the edges of battle like a scavenger, seeking to pick off those already weakened by his betters."

I prefer to think of it as the Jaguar that pounces on his unsuspecting prey from the branches above. Why go after the strong water buffalo when you can easily fill your stomach just as well on the injured one on edge of the pack.

Really though I was trying to line it up for a strafing run but Osis engaged and killed Kotare before I could get into position and then engaged Furey before I could. Then i got sick of flying around so said F it and started the grand melee after the shadow cat was disabled and on its face in the dirt.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #103 on: 06 March 2017, 11:56:34 »
the Jaguar does not attack like a skulking thief, The Jaguar attacks with all its fury upon its prey.   prey  it has marked.
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #104 on: 06 March 2017, 21:48:34 »
I guess I could just kill Kotare off. One thought was that Montizima might just want to eliminate him altogether and might be diabolical enough to pull the plug. Offering him in a 'Harvest Trial' might have an appeal however as Osis might favor a send them somewhere else in exchange for equipment to rebuild. Would then leave Kotare with an interesting question - accept a position in a new Clan or commit bondsref?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 06 March 2017, 23:37:13 »
Montizima did mark his prey wolfcannon.
He emptied the recycle container for his urinal as he was flying overhead.
Hit Osis and Furey. Then decided to use his weapons instead. :D O0
With 5 hits Kotare would be a non walking wreck.
Do the clan thing and let him die from his wounds in the duel of honor.
Growing up is optional.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #106 on: 30 April 2017, 20:06:24 »
Alright folks, just wanted to share with you the setup story for a short new fanbook I am throwing together based on these events. You find out how Brandon Howell was killed in action during the Trial of Restoration. Please let me know how you like it, more to come!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Revival’s End

Mars Field Proving Ground
Strana Mechty
Kerensky Cluster, Clan Space
27 January 3053

As saKhan Brandon Howell surveyed the field before him from his Timber Wolf he breathed in the morning air. While the weather was slightly overcast, his own personal outlook was brighter than any dawn witnessed. Nearly a full Galaxy of the finest Clan warriors had assembled to take part in the next great combat trial of their age. It was his honor to command the so-called Revivalist Clusters whose goal was to overturn the Grand Council’s latest folly, Operation Restoration. While injuries sustained on Tukayyid prevented his senior commander, Khan Lincoln Osis, from participating his allies had no such excuses.

The honor to command was his and victory this day will be glorious. It came as no surprise to him that the Jade Falcon Khans bid themselves out of the battle early on. They always struck Brandon as more politicians than warriors. With a smirk, he mused to himself ‘Perhaps they are part of a new caste which the scientists are experimenting?’ With a laugh, he looked to his left and saw their 5th Battle Cluster ready for battle. The Golden Talons were able warriors with a distinguished record in spite of their Clan’s questionable leadership. Star Colonel Diane Anu was a capable commander whose technical insights impressed him. With their assistance, they would defeat the Restorers and resume the Crusade quickly.

While it galled Howell to admit it, his Smoke Jaguar Clan should probably delay the renewal of hostilities for the foreseeable future. The failure of their Sixth Wave following Tukayyid showed that the Draconis Combine had stepped up defensive preparations significantly. Losses on Tukayyid and Luthien had badly damaged their Touman far worse then was generally known even within the Clan. There would be fanatical Crusaders who would no doubt push for an immediate resumption of the invasion but caution was warranted. Another triumph here coupled with his thoughtful advance begun on Tukayyid will be enough to convince even these zealots that a short period of rebuilding was necessary.

Reviewing his forces dressed in the Clan’s customary gray and black paint scheme they were ready. Most were from the 4th Jaguar Dragoons who just a few years prior had crushed the final Warden Refusal by the Wolves on this very site. Supplemented by the very best from his own Shroud Keshik they were geared for the kill. Many including himself were armed with the most powerful weapon they could carry into battle. Often this was the devastating Ultra AC/20 which at close range could savage any would be adversary rapidly. Switching on his communicator he commanded his elite troops rounded out by two OmniFighter stars from the Jaguar’s Den and Epsilon Galaxy Command ‘At the first signal – pounce!’

As anticipation grew he looked to the observers gathered on the edge of the proving grounds. As tradition dictated the Khan of every Clan not participating stood ready to witness a properly fought combat trial as the Founder had envisioned. Augmented by their Keshiks they could intervene if the participants engaged in any dishonorable actions violating the code of battle known as zellbrigen. The largest of these contingents were from Burrock, Ghost Bear, and Ice Hellion who choose not to take part in this Trial of Refusal in anyway. While each had their reasons, he could not personally fathom why any Clan warrior would sit on the sidelines as the fate of the invasion hung in the balance.

At the far end of the grounds the reviled Diamond Sharks had gathered an understrength Cluster of ten Clans to uphold Operation Restoration. Howell despised them all for trying to inject themselves into the invasion late but he understood the desire to fight. After dealing with their primary rivals today this rag tag force would be driven from the field by a righteous Crusader fury. First though the Falcons would square off against the Wolves and the Jaguars would have to deal with the Star Adders. In spite of his age Khan Cassius N’Buta was a clever opponent not to be underestimated. Brandon knew that many Jags hated the Adders for their opportunistic tactics showcased most notably during the Mongoose Absorption. 

They never rushed headlong into any venture but their pragmatism could never match the ferocity of the Jaguar. Even though today would be no different Howell knew that he had to be on guard for one of N’Buta’s well laid plans. He smiled as he thought ‘the age-old axiom no plan survives contact with the enemy would be never witnessed the vicious claws of the Smoke Jaguar’. Focusing in on ilKhan Ulric Kerensky’s Gargoyle now moving into view he readied himself for battle. The Gray Wolf was another foe who the young Smoke Jaguar saKhan understood should not be underestimated. Flanked by Ebon Keshik the leader of the Clans rose his OmniMech’s right arm high in the air and commanded ‘Begin!’

Just as he knew they would, his forces seized the initiative boldly charging forward and looking to engage as swiftly as they could. Each side began their advance well outside of weapon range however and there were few instant engagements. Brandon realized with their preferred loadout they would have to gain ground fast and he expected his warriors to take down two opponents each today. This kill rate would be insure total victory today.

Just then two long range blasts from an ER PPC and a Large Pulse Laser struck his Timber Wolf marking the start of his first action with a Star Adder Warhawk. Configuration C was well known to all Jaguars as that Assault OmniMech was a proud creation of their Clan. Developed some fifty years ago as the Crusade first neared it had spread throughout the Clans becoming one of the most widely available. As Mechwarrior Starla of the Adder Command Keshik formalized their duel she clearly did not realize whom she had just struck. Howell responded with a well- placed ER PPC blast of his own which unlike his opponent was not aided by a Targeting Computer.

As both sides closed and weapons fire flashed on all sides now as warriors paired off in single combat. Playing on his Clan’s fearsome reputation he keyed in on his rival’s frequency ‘This is saKhan Brandon Howell accepting Mechwarrior Starla’s challenge. Prepare to be the first to fall before the might of the Smoke Jaguar this day!’ With that he unleashed a devastating volley that crashed into his would-be challenger again and again. Several staggering blows including one to her Warhawk’s head sent the heavier Assault ‘Mech crashing to the ground. A roar went up from the Jaguars as their saKhan delivered on his words with speed and brutality of their namesake. It felt to him as if the weight of so many recent reversals was being lifted from the Clan.

Closing to one hundred meters Howell was sure he would defeat the battered Warhawk which lay before him. His mind raced thinking of his next potential enemy of which there were three targets all in close proximity. Khan Cassius N’Buta in his Kingfisher was just ninety meters to his left engaged with Star Captain Caslon Stiles’ Ebon Jaguar. It looked as though both were fairly well matched and their duel would stretch on for some time. Behind the Khan another sixty meters was the Adder Champion Duke Topi who perhaps would provide the greatest challenge to Howell on the battlefield. The Adder’s finest had already knocked down Mechwarrior Redi’s Mad Dog and it looked as though they were destined to meet in single combat.

As glorious as the thought of facing Topi or dispatching their old Khan was Brandon’s true desire was to defeat Star Colonel Virgilia Truscott. The upstart Adder Adjutant was the most vocal critic of Operation Revival almost from the start. Unlike the Wardens who did not want to see any invasion Virgilia was a Crusader who called Revival an ill-conceived that endangered the Clans. Her Trial of Grievance with Star Colonel Aaron Showers of the 4th Jaguar Dragoons, who was present and also undoubtedly looking for vengeance today, highlighted some of these shortcomings. Showers defeat had dampened not only his path forward in the Clan but was the first blemish on the Crusade. Her defeat would serve to erase criticism of Revival and push forward the invasion once more. 

There was no way Mechwarrior Starla could stop this from happening. His Timber Wolf was relatively undamaged and even a last alpha strike from her abused Warhawk could do moderate damage at best. Maybe it was these thoughts of victory or the distasteful image of striking a downed opponent that allowed the Adders to seize the initiative. As Starla’s OmniMech rose to its feet Howell saw her weapons fully charged and about to discharge their raw energy. ‘Do you worst’ he mused ‘there is no way you will win’. But that was saKhan Brandon Howell’s final thought as a blinding bolt of lightning from his enemy’s ER PPC vaporized the head of his ‘Mech.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 01 May 2017, 02:44:44 »
LOL. Trust a Jaguar to be so overconfident.
He forgot what a TC could do at short range firing at a stationary target. O0
Growing up is optional.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #108 on: 07 May 2017, 07:15:45 »
Alrighty, it was not my intention for Brandon Howell to come off as an idiot. While I am glad arrogance came across, as I did want some Jaguar to come out of him, a couple of reviews convinced me that a rewrite was necessary.

This story is really from my point of view during our BattleTech which took three days to play out. The first three turns of day one were described here. Me and everyone else thought that Howell would soon crush Starla and go on to another opponent likely Duke Topi as day 2 (turn 4) got underway. Of course, this would depend on who ever was not engaged even though the Restorers had more troops that were already free to engage.

Thanks to drakensis we were able to dial back Howell's idiocy that his victory was certain to over confidence based on actual events that took place. His opponent sustaining two MechWarrior hits, overheating, and being in poor condition were all good reasons for this belief. Plus I was able to include a few facts which were not previously in the first story.

I appreciate the reviews and thanks again to drakensis for his detailed advice. Now here for your enjoyment the revision!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Revival’s End

Mars Field Proving Ground
Strana Mechty
Kerensky Cluster, Clan Space
27 January 3053

SaKhan Brandon Howell breathed in the morning air as he surveyed the field before him from his Timber Wolf. While the weather was slightly overcast, his own personal outlook was brighter than any dawn witnessed. Nearly a full Galaxy of the finest Clan warriors had assembled to take part in the next great combat trial of their age. It was his honor to command the so-called Revivalist Clusters whose goal was to overturn the Grand Council’s latest folly, Operation Restoration and victory this day will be glorious.

Injuries sustained on Tukayyid prevented his senior commander, Khan Lincoln Osis, from participating and it came as no surprise to him that the Jade Falcon Khans bid themselves out of the battle early on. They always struck Brandon as more politicians than warriors. With a smirk, he mused to himself ‘Perhaps they are part of a new caste which the scientists are experimenting?’

With a laugh, he looked to his left and saw their 5th Battle Cluster ready for battle. The Golden Talons were able warriors with a distinguished record in spite of their Clan’s questionable leadership. Star Colonel Diane Anu was a capable commander whose technical insights impressed him. With their assistance, they would defeat the Restorers and resume the Crusade quickly.

While it galled Howell to admit it, his Clan should probably delay the renewal of hostilities for the foreseeable future. The failure of their Sixth Wave following Tukayyid showed that the Draconis Combine had stepped up defensive preparations significantly. Losses on Tukayyid and Luthien had damaged their Touman far more heavily then was generally known even within the Clan. There would be fanatical Crusaders who would no doubt push for an immediate resumption of the invasion but caution was warranted. Another triumph here coupled with his thoughtful advance begun on Tukayyid will be enough to convince even these zealots that a short period of rebuilding was necessary.

Reviewing his forces dressed in the Clan’s customary gray and black paint scheme they were ready. Most were from the 4th Jaguar Dragoons who just a few years prior had crushed the final Warden Refusal by the Wolves on this very site. Supplemented by the very best from his own Shroud Keshik and rounded out by two OmniFighter stars from the Jaguar’s Den and Epsilon Galaxy Command they were geared for the kill. Many including himself were armed with the most powerful weapon they could carry into battle. Often this was the devastating Ultra AC/20 which at close range could savage any would be adversary rapidly. Howell closed his cockpit and, switching on his communicator, he commanded his elite troops: ‘At the first signal – pounce!’

As anticipation grew he looked to the observers gathered on the edge of the proving grounds. As tradition dictated the Khan of every Clan not participating stood ready to witness a properly fought combat trial as the Founder had envisioned. Augmented by their Keshiks they could intervene if the participants engaged in any dishonorable actions violating the code of battle known as zellbrigen. The largest of these contingents were from Burrock, Ghost Bear, and Ice Hellion who chose not to take part in this Trial of Refusal in anyway. While each had their reasons, he could not personally fathom why any Clan warrior would sit on the sidelines as the fate of the invasion hung in the balance.

At the far end of the grounds the reviled Diamond Sharks had gathered an understrength Cluster of ten Clans to uphold Operation Restoration. Howell despised them all for trying to inject themselves into the invasion late but he understood the desire to fight. After dealing with their primary rivals today this rag tag force would be driven from the field by a righteous Crusader fury. First though the Falcons would square off against the Wolves and the Jaguars would have to deal with the Star Adders.

Arrayed against them was the 3rd Wolf Battle Cluster and the Adder Command Keshik. The Wolf Cluster obviously wanted to make up for their defeat four years ago during in the initial Revival Refusal but the Adders were far more calculating. The vote in the Council had been close but bidding should have evened the odds. However, the Restorers used the full weight of the vote and most notably in the case of the Star Adders had foregone bidding selecting their very best to represent them. While Howell agreed with his Falcon counterparts that this was unClanlike it demonstrated to him how important victory was today and how far his opponents were prepared to go in order to achieve it.

In spite of his age Khan Cassius N’Buta was a clever challenger not to be underestimated. Brandon knew that many Jags hated the Adders for their opportunistic tactics, showcased most notably during the Mongoose Absorption. They never rushed headlong into any venture but their pragmatism could never match the ferocity of the Jaguar. Even though today would be no different Howell knew that he had to be on guard for one of N’Buta’s well laid plans. He smiled as he thought ‘the age-old axiom no plan survives contact with the enemy would be never witnessed the vicious claws of the Smoke Jaguar’.

Focusing in on ilKhan Ulric Kerensky’s Gargoyle now moving into view he readied himself for battle. The Gray Wolf was another foe who the young Smoke Jaguar saKhan understood should not be underestimated. Flanked by Ebon Keshik the leader of the Clans rose his OmniMech’s right arm high in the air and commanded ‘Begin!’

Just as he knew they would, his forces seized the initiative boldly charging forward and looking to engage as swiftly as they could. Each side began their advance well outside of weapon range however and there were few instant engagements. Brandon realized with their preferred loadout they would have to gain ground fast and he expected his warriors to take down two opponents each today. This kill rate would be insure total victory today.

Just then two long range blasts from an ER PPC and a Large Pulse Laser struck his Timber Wolf marking the start of his first action with a Star Adder Warhawk. Configuration C was well known to all Jaguars as that Assault OmniMech was a proud creation of their Clan. Developed some fifty years ago as the Crusade first neared it had spread throughout the Clans becoming one of the most widely available. As Mechwarrior Starla of the Adder Command Keshik formalized their duel she clearly did not realize whom she had just struck. Howell responded with a well- placed ER PPC blast of his own which unlike his opponent was not aided by a Targeting Computer.

As both sides closed and weapons fire flashed on all sides now as warriors paired off in single combat. Playing on his Clan’s fearsome reputation he keyed in on his rival’s frequency ‘This is saKhan Brandon Howell accepting Mechwarrior Starla’s challenge. Prepare to be the first to fall before the might of the Smoke Jaguar this day!’ With that he unleashed a devastating volley that crashed into his would-be challenger again and again. Several staggering blows including one to her Warhawk’s head sent the heavier Assault ‘Mech crashing to the ground. A roar went up from the Jaguars as their saKhan delivered on his words with speed and brutality of their namesake. It felt to him as if the weight of so many recent reversals was being lifted from the Clan.

Closing to one hundred meters Howell saw the battered Warhawk which lay before him its pilot no doubt dazed from his strike and the fall which followed. His mind raced thinking of his next potential enemy of which there were three targets all in close proximity. Khan Cassius N’Buta in his Kingfisher was just ninety meters to his left engaged with Star Captain Caslon Stiles’ Ebon Jaguar. It looked as though both were fairly well matched and their duel would stretch on for some time.

Behind the Khan another sixty meters was the Adder Champion Duke Topi who perhaps would provide the greatest challenge to Howell on the battlefield. The Adder’s finest had already knocked down Mechwarrior Redi’s Mad Dog and it looked as though they were destined to meet in single combat. As glorious as the thought of facing Topi or dispatching their old Khan was Brandon’s true desire was to defeat Star Colonel Virgilia Truscott.

The upstart Adder Adjutant was the most vocal critic of Operation Revival almost from the start. Unlike the Wardens who did not want to see any invasion Virgilia was a Crusader who called Revival an ill-conceived that endangered the Clans. Her Trial of Grievance with Star Colonel Aaron Showers of the 4th Jaguar Dragoons, who was present and also undoubtedly looking for vengeance today, highlighted some of these shortcomings. Showers defeat had dampened not only his path forward in the Clan but was the first blemish on the Crusade. Her defeat would serve to erase criticism of Revival and push forward the invasion once more. 

Unfortunately, Virgilia was well matched with Mechwarrior Bikhal’s Executioner of the 4th Jaguar Dragoons. Their duel would probably drag on insuring a match up between Duke Topi and himself. Well bargained and done he thought.

As Starla’s OmniMech struggled to rise to its feet Howell saw the Warhawk was sluggish and the weapon pods were shaking - not only had the Mechwarrior overheated her 'Mech, impairing the myomers of the limb, but her control was itself impaired. ‘An inferior mechwarrior, shaken by the damage to her cockpit’ he concluded ‘she'll be lucky to score a single hit in that condition’.

But that was saKhan Brandon Howell’s final thought as Starla fired her full arsenal. While some of her weaponry missed his Timber Wolf a blinding bolt of lightning from her ER PPC vaporized the head of his OmniMech.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2017, 07:53:25 by Takiro »

Register