Poll

Following the Death of Brandon Howell in 3053 who would you elect saKhan?

Star Colonel Devon Osis
8 (26.7%)
Loremaster Lamar Kotare
11 (36.7%)
Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima
5 (16.7%)
Star Colonel Erik Furey
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 03 March 2017, 12:16:33

Author Topic: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!  (Read 15684 times)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
Re: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!
« Reply #60 on: 03 March 2017, 14:25:00 »
Well folks that is it. So the final tally is 30 votes. 5 for Montizima, 6 for Furey, 8 for Osis, and the winner with 11 is saKhan Lamar Kotare.

Thanks to everyone who voted and participated in our discussion. Please stay tuned for more news in about an hour and half.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #61 on: 03 March 2017, 16:01:19 »
As the results of the election were read aloud by the Oathmaster for all to hear many Jaguar Bloodnamed could simply not believe it. All around the Clan Council looks of surprise disappointment were mixed with shocked approval from the warrior assembly. In the center of it all Khan Lincoln Osis added to the high anxiety of the moment coolly wearing a sly grin on his face that must have been hiding massive dissatisfaction. Despite all his efforts Star Colonel Devon Osis had come up short with less than 27 percent of the vote. This stinging rebuke by his own warriors sent a clear message to the leader of the Jaguars that he and his allies bore the responsibility for the Clan’s recent shortcomings.

Despite Loremaster Lamar Kotare’s radical plans and his advanced age he garnered almost 38 percent of the vote in the Clan Council. While most of his support came from aging second line units and lower ranked warriors these ‘survivors’ as some of the younger unblooded had come to call them clearly turned their back on Osis. To make matters worse the independent minded Star Colonel Erik Furey had amassed another 20 percent of the electorate even though many acknowledged this fine warrior’s lack of experience. Jaguar supremacists also weighed in giving Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima just under 17 percent with strong backing coming from the underutilized naval arm of the Clan.

Many were doubtlessly expecting a volcanic eruption from their Elemental supreme commander of unmitigated rage but there was nothing. Only that cat like expression and absolutely silence as the votes were tallied. Nodding to acknowledge the outcome the Khan finally spoke “Only Smoke Jaguar warriors who prove themselves leaders in battle are called Khan by our Clan.” He glanced over at Devon Osis who began “By the rede of our people, command cannot be assumed. Command must be taken and held. Won with honor, sealed in blood.” All present recognized the words of the Smoke Jaguar change of command ceremony taught in every sibko. Lamar Kotare simply remarked “Command is mine to take and I select augmented combat to defend the will of the Jaguar.”

Not to be outdone Nahuel Montizima quickly interjected “I will not sit idly bye as the purity of my Clan is decided by others unworthy of such high office. If you seek this command you must defeat me as well.” Before anyone could intervene Erik Furey demanded “I have just as much right to this station as any of these claimants. Any who wishes to prove themselves worthy must also defeat me.” The Khan stood “Well bargained and done” he roared “in this solemn matter let none interfere” and so began the four-way battle for the saKhanship of Clan Smoke Jaguar. The contest will essentially be two one on one trials fought simultaneously in order to come one final showdown between the top two contenders. The winner and saKhan will have to defeat at least two of their rivals in all out combat. Let the best warrior win!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 03 March 2017, 16:54:50 »
Which warship will Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima bring to the trial. >:D :D ;D O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #63 on: 03 March 2017, 17:44:39 »
LMAO, the Veiled Huntress of course! :D

Go big or go home!!

My friends and I already went through choosing our character for tomorrow's Smoke Jaguar saKhan Trial of Position event. Gus is the only one who has not signed online here but the others you may know. Cheer them on if you like.

Lamar Kotare (Warhawk OmniMech - Mechwarrior 3/2) [Gus]
Devon Osis (Dire Wolf Prime OmniMech - Mechwarrior 2/2) [Takiro]
Erik Furey (Executioner OmniMech - Mechwarrior 1/1) [Winterwolf]
Nahuel Montizima (Sabutai OmniFighter - Aerospace Pilot 2/1) [Bradshaw]

Where each candidate finished in the voting will determine their first round initiative. Noon start time, stay tuned to see the outcome! Who wins? Who dies? I will try to keep track of it all.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2017, 07:48:03 by Takiro »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 04 March 2017, 01:46:36 »
An old-fashioned, winner-take-all donnybrook. Let the blood flow so that the Clan may go stronger
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 04 March 2017, 02:11:35 »
So Kotare Versus Montizima and Osis Versus Furey?

Or Kotare versus Osis and Montizima Versus Furey?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #66 on: 04 March 2017, 08:04:59 »
You got it Sharpnel, worktroll sort of jumped the gun a bit with his suggestion but was essentially correct. This is where the issue would always end up in this Clan. The concept of a Trial of Position for Khanship  is something I always wanted to explore with the Smoke Jaguars since reading Grave Covenant and Impetus of War. In Grave Covenant we learn that the Jaguars call many warriors Khan since the position has to be earned through combat essentially  (page 260 I believe). Then Impetus of War has the Jaguar change of command ceremony which involves Devon Osis actually. So with this four battle the winner can say I have earned the position of saKhan through combat.

It should be interesting James Tanaga who takes who initially in the Trial. Kotare gets to choose first much like il Khan Crichell did in his trial versus Vlad who gave him the first hit in their Grand Council fisticuffs. Who would you choose? Tell me why? That establishes the other fight unless someone goes Grand Melee.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 04 March 2017, 08:16:30 »
If, I'm Kotare I would take on Osis first. He's the primary competitor and fights in a Mech that should be a near match to his Dire Wolf (depending how each Mech is configured, of course). Montizima would be the last choice as it is fairly unpredictable how the fighter will attack the Mech. If I'm Montizima I load up as much large pulsers as possible and sneak in a gauss rifle and fight from a stand-off position prior to closing in with fairly accurate strafing runs. The Executioner is a poor choice for an assault Mech when compared to other two Mechs. I wish Furey all the luck of Kerensky because he' going to need it.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #68 on: 04 March 2017, 08:29:29 »
The only configuration I know of for certain going in is Devon Osis Dire Wolf Prime. It is his favored from the books so we will stick with it. What about the others, how or what should they have?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #69 on: 04 March 2017, 08:36:33 »
Would the four really be fighting on equal footing? It would make the outcome of the election completely meaningless. Have the Smoke Jaguars deviated so far from Clan custom in that regard?

I mean, I can see a Trial of Refusal over the election results coming from one or more of the losing candidates. But in Trials of Refusal, the challenger fights odds equal to the results of the vote they are trying to overturn. Which would mean, for example, that Montizima and Furey each would have about half the firepower or weight or whatever that Kotare brings to the Trial, and Osis around three quarters. I know you´re modifying the participants´ initiative according to the outcome of the vote, but I´m not sure if that is anywhere near significant enough to reflect the odds the challengers are supposed to fight.

Perhaps a more accurate reflection of the vote totals would be to pit Kotare´s Warhawk against Osis in a Cauldron Born, Montizima in a Batu and Furey in a Shadow Cat.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #70 on: 04 March 2017, 11:28:46 »
You bring up a very good point Sir Chaos, let me run some numbers and maybe we will choose new Mechs for Kotare's three opponents to account for the vote.

We've talked it over and your absolutely right on your suggestion from Mechs to use (we ran the numbers against the vote tally against the Kotare's Warhawk). So here is the roster for the battle as of now. We are choosing configurations.

Lamar Kotare (Warhawk C OmniMech - Mechwarrior 3/2) [Gus]
Devon Osis (Ebon Jaguar OmniMech - Mechwarrior 2/2) [Takiro]
Erik Furey (Shadow Cat OmniMech - Mechwarrior 1/1) [Winterwolf]
Nahuel Montizima (Batu OmniFighter - Aerospace Pilot 2/1) [Bradshaw]
« Last Edit: 04 March 2017, 12:23:24 by Takiro »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 04 March 2017, 13:51:07 »
I feel sorry for Montizima being in the tiny Batu. He should go Prime or variation that replaces the ER Large laser

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #72 on: 04 March 2017, 14:31:28 »
You bring up a very good point Sir Chaos,

your absolutely right on your suggestion

I´ll never grow tired of reading stuff like this.  ;D

Montizima would probably be best off in the B variant - short range isn´t an issue for ground attacks, and taking seven medium pulse lasers into the rear is going to hurt even a Warhawk. The relative fragility of his fighter isn´t going to be as much of a problem, because Osis and Furey will concentrate on Kotare first to prevent him from winning, and Kotare is going to have to concentrate on Osis and Furey in turn; Osis, Furey and Montizima seem to despire Kotare and what he means for the Jaguars more than they do each other, so I´d absolutely expect them to have an informal truce until Kotare is taken care off - they know that, even in pristine condition, neither of them is strong enough to defeat Kotare.
-Frederick the Great

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #73 on: 04 March 2017, 16:56:30 »
All hail saKhan Naheul Montizima!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #74 on: 04 March 2017, 17:21:40 »
Interesting times coming up, for the Smoke Jaguars and anyone they are up against. Enjoy!
-Frederick the Great

Bradshaw

• Corporal
  • Never trust a man scratching his chin
« Reply #75 on: 04 March 2017, 22:08:00 »
I did not expect to win this battle, it was all a matter of luck and taking advantage of the opportunities given.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #76 on: 04 March 2017, 23:17:09 »
But did Montizuma win as a Jaguar warrior, or by skulking while others clashed?

An honourless win is going to cause problems. Tell us the rede of it!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 05 March 2017, 01:47:46 »
All hail saKhan Naheul Montizima!
WTF?! How in the heck did that happen?

[ic]My choice in voting for Montizima has been vindicated in the blood of his foes. May the Clan be stronger for his victory. Seyla!

But did Montizuma win as a Jaguar warrior, or by skulking while others clashed?

An honourless win is going to cause problems. Tell us the rede of it!
I would assume he used his fighters superior speed and simply strafed the living heck out of his foes.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2017, 06:29:28 by Sharpnel »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #78 on: 05 March 2017, 02:42:46 »
I must know how this battle panned out.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 05 March 2017, 03:42:03 »
That was... unexpected.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #80 on: 05 March 2017, 06:57:09 »
I must know how this battle panned out.

Same here.
-Frederick the Great

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #81 on: 05 March 2017, 07:25:10 »
I'll let Takiro give the detailed version, but what happened is that Osis and Kotare engaged first from long range and in their second volley Osis in a Cauldron Born took off Kotares head with a well placed Gauss Shot.

Meanwhile Furey and Montizima were still attempting to get into range as Osis already now had taken out his opponent engaged Furey before he could formally engage Monitizima. Furey devastated by the barrage in his Shadow Cat and then a unfortunate freezing of his MASC system was quickly knocked to the ground. Montizima seeing this from his Batu assumed he was out of the battle as he was unable to get up from his view then engaged Osis but causing a Grand Melee as Furey had not withdrawn from the battle and was still trying fire from his prone position.

Montizima was able to take advantage of the previous damage done to Osis by Furey and was able to take out the remaining torso causing two engine hits and then in the next round successfully hit another part of his engine in the Center Torso.

Furey refusing to give up was then fired upon by Montizima who fired upon the warrior and finishing the last of his internals in his CT

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #82 on: 05 March 2017, 11:30:53 »
Wait one minute, that is not the mechs listed above for the trial,

Lamar Kotare (Warhawk OmniMech - Mechwarrior 3/2) [Gus]
Devon Osis (Dire Wolf Prime OmniMech - Mechwarrior 2/2) [Takiro]
Erik Furey (Executioner OmniMech - Mechwarrior 1/1) [Winterwolf]
Nahuel Montizima (Sabutai OmniFighter - Aerospace Pilot 2/1) [Bradshaw]
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #83 on: 05 March 2017, 12:11:11 »
[Quite right wolfcannon, it was correctly pointed out by Sir Chaos above that the participants should be piloting war machines that reflected the vote of the Council. As Kotare won the vote he elected to remain with his Warhawk and the rest were lighter based off that. Enjoy the report below folks as always your opinions are welcomed.]

Lootera Plains, Huntress
February 28, 3053

Four combatants awaited the order to begin approximately nine hundred meters (30 hexes) apart on the vast plains of the Smoke Jaguar homeworld. Rain swept the field as Khan Lincoln Osis observed the candidates from his armor along with the rest of the Bloodnamed assembled. saKhan Lamar Kotare had selected to utilize his personal Warhawk as the winner of the election as was his right. By Clan tradition the elder Loremaster could have chosen another 'Mech to defend his position like a Dire Wolf but years of combat experience had best prepared him for what the InnerSphere called the 'Masakari' on this day. Configured into a modified 'C' with another Large Pulse Laser replacing an ER PPC and an ER Small Laser replacing the Flamer he stood the greatest chance of success with overwhelming accurate firepower.

His opponents were forced to choose from tonnage equivalent to their voting totals in respect to Kotare's. This meant that Star Colonel Devon Osis would get to pick from the sixty-five ton OmniMech category. While this presented him with four possibilities there was really only one choice, the Ebon Jaguar, and thanks to his support within the Clan one was readied specifically for his personalized use. By placing a Gauss Rifle in the right arm and an ER PPC with a Large Pulse Laser in the left technicians had carefully balanced the heat concerns so often experiences by Mechwarriors when using the design. Two LRM-5s placed in the torsos rounded out the custom configuration which was geared for distanced combat.

The third place finish that Star Colonel Erik Furey received entitled him to receive an OmniMech massing forty-five tons. There were three designs available for his use from which he selected the Shadow Cat. Supporters among the Clan allowed him to build a custom configuration around an ER PPC placed in the right arm, two LRM-10s placed in each torso, and an ER Medium Laser in the left arm. Adding three Double Heat Sinks helped deal with extra weapon heat generated by this arsenal. Rounding out the competition was a forty ton Batu OmniFighter piloted by Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima which his allies in the naval service equipped with twin Large Pulse Lasers and an ER Medium Laser all linked to a Targeting Computer.

Satisfied all was ready he roared "begin" instantly launching the participants into action with the highest vote winners having the honor of going first. Kotare deliberately walked toward the middle of the battlefield, while Osis charged hard at the very same center as Furey swung his war machine around at Osis. All the while Nahuel Montizima lofted above it all gingerly guiding his fighter at the newly elected saKhan. Lamar gauged his greatest threat as the Ebon Jaguar which he engaged at distance leaving Furey to fight Montizima even though their initial lateral movement took them well outside effective combat range. Of the three Large Pulse Lasers and the ER PPC he fired only a single laser volley found its mark on his opponent’s left torso. Devon returned fire from his main guns electing not to fire his missiles with almost equal results, a Large Pulse striking his opponents torso.

Furey seemed to get the edge on his rivals activating his Shadow Cat’s MASC to charge forward at the only unengaged combatant Montizima. Osis now aware who his adversary was slowed his pace forward intending to use the range of his weapons to the greatest effect. Acknowledging Kotare and Osis as engaged Montizima slowly turned his craft to face Furey but both warriors remained out of range. Perhaps it was old age that caught Kotare watching the actions of his opponents as he ramped the speed up on his Warhawk closing distance with the Ebon Jaguar. The blinding flash of light from Osis’ weaponry was the last thing the would be saKhan could remember as a Gauss slug from his rival tore his Warhawk’s head off. Luckily the automatic ejection system had functioned properly carrying the wounded Loremaster safely to the ground.

Cheers went up from the Clan Council as even the Khan caught himself smiling thankful to be rid of such a radical threat to the Jaguars. As the pilotless Warhawk tumbled backwards onto the ground Osis fresh from his victory sprinted at the yet unengaged combatants. Cursing them for their tepid approach to battle he fired on Erik Furey who had just come into range of Nahuel Montizima. Angered at this interference Furey responded in kind with a furious volley of his own all the while the aerospace pilot overhead watched. Keen on maximizing his maneuverability against such a heavy foe Furey attempted to trigger his MASC for a second time but there was no response as the legs of his Shadow Cat locked up. Both warriors fired again but unable to move Furey’s ‘Mech was knocked to the ground by withering fire from Devon Osis.

Furey whose Shadow Cat had fallen face down refused to eject firing defiantly backwards with his still working ER PPC in his right arm which could flip three hundred sixty degrees. Star Admiral Montizima had seen enough recognizing his time was at hand he fired into the Ebon Jaguar’s chest with his lasers. Outraged and now reeling from damage inflicted by three opponents Osis returned fire but only hit the Batu with a single Large Pulse Laser in the fighter’s nose. As a sort of Grand Melee ensued with Furey refusing to bow out Osis and Montizima furiously maneuvered for advantage. Now in at close range the ‘Aztec’ whipped his fighter around for the kill executing a tight combat turn which he successfully pulled off, albeit barely. Osis struck by Furey and Montizima now struggled to hit his aerial rival with a full out alpha strike but could only manage a single LRM strike to the nose.

A crippling volley by Montizima struck the Ebon Jaguar’s Gauss Rifle causing a massive explosion. Osis circled around Furey’s downed Shadow Cat where he could not be struck by his ER PPC and prepared to fire again on the Batu but the Star Admiral was too fast. Another laser volley tore through Osis’ torso disabling his engine and ending his participation in the combat Trial. The grounded Shadow Cat below did manage to make one single hit on the Batu’s wing above but today’s duel had already been decided. It was only a matter of time till Montizima finished off the immobile Furey below. Two more volleys of lasers from above were enough to finally destroy the last of his ground based adversaries. The assembly watch Khan Osis who was happy to be rid of the troublesome Kotare even if his preferred candidate did not win the day.

While Montizima’s opportunistic tactics and supremacist politics were questionable the Clan needed to come together. There would be no more talk of radical liberal reforms among his people and Osis was convinced he could work with the extremist to unite the Jaguars. Finally, they could focus on rebuilding the Touman and getting back to conquering the InnerSphere as they should be. Keying his microphone the Khan Osis announced ‘All hail saKhan Naheul Montizima!’

Calderon

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: 05 March 2017, 13:05:13 »
Damn mask!

Calderon

• Recruit
« Reply #85 on: 05 March 2017, 13:06:33 »
And it's Calderon not winterwolf.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 05 March 2017, 15:25:58 »
Great write-up.

As a side note, by the TW rules MASC does not freeze the legs completely, but you probably know it already.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #87 on: 05 March 2017, 15:34:35 »
Great write-up.

As a side note, by the TW rules MASC does not freeze the legs completely, but you probably know it already.

Actually I didn't know that, I've never read TW and we've always played failure of masc froze leg myomers not allowing any movement

I'm assuming they changed the rules at some point
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Myomer_Accelerator_Signal_Circuitry

Because this states immobilized
« Last Edit: 05 March 2017, 15:41:04 by Bradshaw »

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #88 on: 05 March 2017, 15:46:02 »
Actually I didn't know that, I've never read TW and we've always played failure of masc froze leg myomers not allowing any movement

It was changed since then, probably because it was thought to be too harsh. Now, on a failure you only automatically assign a crit hit to each leg, determining which part exactly took it as usual. From the rule formulation, you can even soak the leg with DHS.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #89 on: 05 March 2017, 16:32:43 »
Learn something new every day but I've been playing the game 25+years and it's hard for this old dog to learn all the new tricks. I stopped paying attention to new stuff once they started the Jihad story arc.

Wasn't until Takiro started his alternative histories I got back into it