Author Topic: MWO Discuss  (Read 2970 times)

Legend

• Recruit
MWO Discuss
« on: 13 March 2017, 12:06:45 »
Discuss.

Me:
I really wanted MWO to be an updated version of Mech4 in the sense that everyone has access to any mech or weapon. Also, the size of mech you take doesn't matter in Mech4 because the scoring system (team battle) balances out small mechs vs. larger mechs so that every Mech is usable to some degree.  O0

To me, I feel too old (27 lol) to grind through skill trees/achievement requirements to get access to mechs/weapons. I played Mech4 all through my high school and college years and I learned in the end no one remembers you or cares what you did. Not emotional or mad, just saying. it is what it is. So... the only reason to play an online game is if you personally are having fun. Not for anyone else or any other reason. 'Grind sessions' are not fun. It's just a form of addiction to me. ???

Unfortunately Mech5 mercs doesn't look any better (single player) that is nothing like Mech4.

If anyone has counter points to anything I typed, I would be interested in hearing your perspective. Feel free to disagree with my opinion. I've never played MWO, only read about it and heard others on teamspeak talk about it. 

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: MWO Discuss
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2017, 21:20:53 »
Considering all we have on MW5 is a short trailer of a barely started game one would think it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to case judgement. Now MWO on the other hand... meh.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2017, 22:02:53 »
Considering all we have on MW5 is a short trailer of a barely started game one would think it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to case judgement. Now MWO on the other hand... meh.
Agreed, we've only got about 8 minutes of gameplay that can be changed significantly in the year or so before it releases. My hope is that PGI understands their core audience (it's iffy; given MWO...) and tries to pander to us as much as possible. They should make it as much of nolstalgia trip as they can, much like The Force Awakens for example... it didn't throw anything out and was largely a throw back to the original trilogy, granted, a game that comes out this long after the originals will have expectations that will be very hard to meet, if at all possible, but it'd be a good place to start.

What we do know about the game so far is that it'll span from 3015 to 3049, before the clan invasion, meaning that we should see a good variety of mechs, just not mechs from the clan invadion and Jihad era or later, but PGI has the 3D models for the Clan mechs for MWO, so there's a possibility they'll add them later down the line.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2017, 22:06:26 by Mech42ace »
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

sshagent

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2017, 15:00:38 »
not an answer to your question, but I've always wondered why MWO doesn't have a section in this forum ...much like Megamek has.  this section of the forum is awash with MWO posts ( i play this game too, but meh there could be more discussions surely )

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2017, 20:49:27 »
Because at least until the HBS game comes out, this section would be practically dead if MWO was split off. Can't segregate every variations into sub-sections, too combersome.

Legend

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2017, 11:44:31 »
This article has the most information about Mech5 Mercenaries that I have found and I was basing my opinions off of it:
http://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5/

As far as 1st person vs. 3rd person:
I wish they would make a 3rd person option then have rooms for 1st and 3rd person like mw4. I've read repeatedly on youtube that some mech fans think the 'hill pop/sniping' is a bad playstyle in a mech game. I can definitely understand that perspective if you are looking for a realistic simulator mech game.

However, for me, I have my fun in online games by trying to out think other players. The reason I like 3rd person is because it makes the game less melee combat ("noob rushing/shooting at point blank) and more strategical (map positioning/flanking/using cover your see around your screen/etc.).
I explain what I mean here at 7:25 to 9:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQW7FYnZwFQ&t=24s
"even a new player can run up to someone at point blank and chew on my armor".
To me, I am more entertaining by strategy and thinking rather than repeated melee combat. It's that way in any game for me. I find creative thinking exciting and repetitive things like spamming overpowering game elements and noob rushing/repeated melee engagements boring.

Anyway, I read all of your replies. I like you being open minded. I am downloading MWO right now. My graphics card is an 8600 and min requirement is 8800 so I don't know if it will run, but I will see. I am going be open minded and see if this MWO game is any fun for me. I was wondering if I should record my first online game for laughs. It could be a funny thing to look back on.  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: 17 March 2017, 11:54:34 by Legend »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2017, 12:06:24 »

For me, 3rd player view ruins immersion.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2017, 01:29:44 »
I'm in agreement with MainGunnery.

That, and I really love getting up close and personal in this "Melee Combat" sort of range (Which is more point-blank than melee, considering MWO doesn't let me punch people). Not because I'm a bad pilot or a noob, but because I love the thrill of fighting on the razor's edge, being able to not only fight my opponent with the one-on-one mindset, but to make a grand show of it to whoever's watching, and to make it entertaining for myself.

Not that I can't run a company or fight as a team against a team, as I've found I'm not the worst drop caller in MWO. But third person ruins games like this for me, where I feel I *need* to be in the cockpit. I perform better when playing in first person.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2017, 11:05:28 »
For me, 3rd player view ruins immersion.
Same here, but I do rather like the way PGI handled 3PV (follow-drone and limited HUD), even though I didn't use it beyond my initial look-see.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2017, 09:59:19 »
I like the ability to view my mech from any angle and take video/screenshots etc... and marvel, daydream, imagine, desktop background...I think some of you can relate.   ;)

But like others have stated, for actual game play I prefer and play only 1pv.

There is a lot of potential and promise for MW5.  Scaling of mechs appears to be too huge for me at the moment, and I pray for a coop mode in mission play, but I liked what I saw in the trailer.

It would be awesome to lance-up with friends and take the fight to the enemy.

The Gundam Kizuna sim-pods in Japan do this so well, plus after each battle, when you take your card for updates at the terminal, there is a replay video showing you and your friends in action from a 3PV perspective. 

« Last Edit: 19 March 2017, 18:09:53 by Burning Chrome »
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2017, 16:11:24 »
It's too soon to speculate on MW5.  I think it still has potential. It's likely not for the diehard MWO fan but, for older school fans who like their game less instant laser spam fire and more calculating or slower pace. IF it's like that. It's allidged that all Mechs are not super customizable.  I hope the game not stuck on one planet.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2017, 09:21:28 »
I always viewed 3d person as the closest we could get to the 360 degree view a neurohelmet is supposed to give.

That said, MW5 is supposed to be focused on single-player. Give the option of both because frankly who cares if someone plays differently than you? Especially when it doesn't give a competitive advantage because you're playing a campaign.