Author Topic: Upgrading a mech in a Campaign question.  (Read 4272 times)

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Upgrading a mech in a Campaign question.
« on: 12 November 2017, 15:44:10 »
So my gaming group has started campaign where each player runs a Pirate lance vying to be the Bandit King . Instead of the normal repair rules we roll 2d6 on a table and go from there.
 After the last battle I rolled a result that gave me "One weapon on your mech may be swapped for a Clan equivalent, any extra weight may be used for heat sinks and / or ammo."
I'm torn between which mech to up grade and would like some opinions.

Phoenix Hawk 1D: Drop the L Laser for a Clan ER Med Laser and 4 Heat Sinks. For nearly the same punch and range I would get much better heat management.

Shadowhawk 2K: Trade the PPC for  Clan ERPPC and one Heat Sink. With this I get a head capper with no minimum range and heat is still easy to manage.

Gladiator 4R: Drop the SRM6 for a Clan Streak 6. Heat can be a problem for this mech so I dismissed any energy weapon upgrades.

Dragon 2Y "Yorioshi" : Trade SRM 4 for a Clan SRM 4 and one Heat Sink, no change in fire power but a little better heat management. This is the least helpful, but I like to get in my opponents face with this one.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: Upgrading a mech in a Campaign question.
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2017, 16:04:58 »
I'd take one of the first two.  I'm leaning toward the Shadowhawk and the ER PPC because of the fact the increase in damage with little impact on the heat curve.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2017, 16:25:01 »
As Firesprocket said, go with one of the first two.  The latter two are ammunition based weapons, which means as a pirate you have to scrounge ammunition for them.

Between the two energy based weapons, I'd go with the Clan ERPPC also.  The Shadow hawk is supposed to be engaging from range, meaning opponents have tougher to-hits engaging it.  The Phoenix Hawk is a jumpy Mech with shorter range weapons, so it is more likely to get the weapon critted.

The only down side is the ERPPC equipped Shadow Hawk is going to be a prime target.  Make sure only one opponent at a time can shoot at it.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2017, 17:06:11 »
Why a ER M + 4 SHS on the PHK-1D? Why not a ER L +1 SHS... sniper that can jump 6. Sure your looking at the heat, walk it thru the math.

ERL 12
Walk 1
Run 2
Jump 6
11 SHS

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2017, 17:33:47 »
Why a ER M + 4 SHS on the PHK-1D? Why not a ER L +1 SHS... sniper that can jump 6. Sure your looking at the heat, walk it thru the math.

ERL 12
Walk 1
Run 2
Jump 6
11 SHS

TT
I considered that but your only getting 2 points more damage for 4 more points of heat, the extra heat sink will not really help. Also this mech works as the wingman for the Dragon . They get in to short range and pour on the fire, the ER Large will be of little help here. The ER Medium on the other hand gets me nearly the same damage as a IS L Laser. Hears my logic
At Shor to Medium range I get
ER ML 5
IS ML x2 for 6
Running 2
Jumping max 6
16 SHS  ( the 1D starts with 12 )

I will be able to keep up a much higher rate of fire while on the move.

Hmm I could make it a Clan Medium Pulse and get that nifty -2 to hit.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2017, 18:42:12 »
I think idea weenie has it right... the ER PPC is the biggest bang for your buck here.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2017, 20:17:39 »
Okay I've been tinkering with different setups on the four mechs and I think I'm starting to like the idea of adding a Clan L Laser to the Dragon.

This will give me long range firepower , and once I'm up close I can add the Med Laser, SRM 4. The extra weight goes for a heat sink. And if the to hit roll is low enough I can always add the Small Laser and Flamer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2017, 01:03:36 »
If the Dragon is your brawler . . . I would avoid putting the extremely valuable tech on a machine intended to slug it out.

The Shadow Hawk sounds like your best option, and if you have the choice either a cERLL or the cERPP- range or the damage trade off.  You want that machine to stay back and just lay down the fire.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2017, 10:19:42 »
Personally, I'd go with either the PPC to cERPPC upgrade on the SDH or a LL to cERLL on the PXH.  The combined range and damage increases should turn them into seriously dangerous snipers.  Too bad you can't swap the PPC for a cLPL (not a direct equivalent), or shoe-horn a cLPL in place of the LL.  The other options all seem like incremental changes, not real game-changers.

Normally, I'd take the upgrade for the PXH over the SDH (I'm a PXH fan), but in your case, since the PXH is being used to assist the DRG as an in-fighter, the ER weapon's extra 2 points of damage aren't worth the added heat.  The cERPPC will also give the SDH a weapon without a minimum range, meaning that it can better defend itself against anything fast that manages to close with it.

Swapping the LL for a cERML and several SHS's on the PXH seems interesting, but the "D" variant is already decently heat-sunk, meaning that you can already fire the LL and a ML together a couple of turns in a row without a problem.  The Clan weapon does 1 less damage than the LL it replaces, so the only gain by being able to fire all three weapons is +3 for the second ML, but -1 with the lighter main gun, for a net increase of 2 points at shorter ranges and -1 at long.  An improvement, but not that big a deal overall.

Given my "usual" choice of 'Mech, the upgrade would be a no-brainer.  I'd swap the ML on my LCT-1V for a cERML with a demented smirk and a twinkle in my evil eye.  Woe to the Urbie pilot who thought they were safe with their AC/10.  Long range for both them and me, but they need 12-to-hit even if they stand still and there's no intervening terrain, versus my return fire at 10+.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2017, 14:48:35 »
The latter two are ammunition based weapons, which means as a pirate you have to scrounge ammunition for them.
No more then he already is, Clan weapons can load IS ammo and vise-versa.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2017, 19:52:59 »
Alright the Shadowhawk gets the goodies!  >:D

Thanks for your help.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2017, 18:53:43 »
This:

Shadowhawk 2K: Trade the PPC for  Clan ERPPC and one Heat Sink. With this I get a head capper with no minimum range and heat is still easy to manage.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2017, 11:25:33 »
I'd do MPL + heatsinks on the PXH, but the SHD option is good to.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2017, 13:55:46 »
Or instead of a ERLL on the Dragon go with a LPL instead. Helpful when brawling and still has decent range.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2017, 19:36:24 »
Oddly enough I got the same roll on the table after this weekends battle.  So I get to add another Clan weapon to a mech.

I'd do MPL + heat sinks on the PXH, but the SHD option is good to.
I'm heavily leaning for that on my Phoenix Hawk for this round.

Or instead of a ERLL on the Dragon go with a LPL instead. Helpful when brawling and still has decent range.
Unfortunately I can't do that by our campaign rules, I can't add a weapon that weighs more than the weapon I'm switching out. :(

On a truly sad note my Shadow Hawk pilot must have been hung over for that battle because he hit once with the ER PPC the entire game and it was the left arm on a Archer.  #P

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2017, 20:36:54 »
#1 - I think the Shadow Hawk is probably the best option since the K is over sinked already.
Alternatively a LPL or ERLL might also be solid options.

#2 - I might also look at doing a cMPL instead of cERML for the Pixie-D. 
The accuracy boost might be worth the loss of range.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2017, 10:05:15 »
Unfortunately I can't do that by our campaign rules, I can't add a weapon that weighs more than the weapon I'm switching out. :(

A clan LPL is only 6 tons, two tons less than an AC/5 (or 1 ton less than a PPC if it's a Grand Dragon). Go pulse 'em!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2017, 12:28:21 »
 It's a Dragon 2Y "Yorioshi", it's got a L Laser, M Laser, S Laser, Flamer and SRM4. So I'm starting from there;)

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2017, 13:27:38 »
That's an interesting approach, would you mind sharing the table or telling us where it came from?

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2017, 15:09:38 »
Will do tonight. :)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2017, 19:11:33 »
Historical Turning Points: Galtor.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2017, 20:14:53 »

Here it is, I was inspired by the Gorkamorka table, but made it a little easier to use.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 07:46:08 by Saint »

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2017, 04:09:44 »
Saint, would you mind turning off the display of grammar and spelling errors next time before taking a screen shot?

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2017, 19:58:05 »
Very cool, thank you!

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #24 on: 08 December 2017, 10:50:26 »
Fixed  :)