Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 124832 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
I have taken the liberty of beginning the new thread, muah hahahaha!

Continue any and all discussions.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2017, 21:20:22 »
I claim this thread for Clan Hell's Horses! Feel our hooves on your claws, our equine breath on your beaks as we trample all over your territory as our personal pastures! With what verbatim do you spur with, quiaff?

TT  ;D
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2017, 06:30:58 »
Push the button, Jaim.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2017, 06:39:34 »
The shiny red button is a lie.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2017, 07:37:20 »
I claim this thread for Clan Hell's Horses! Feel our hooves on your claws, our equine breath on your beaks as we trample all over your territory as our personal pastures! With what verbatim do you spur with, quiaff?

TT  ;D

And I claim this thread in the name of the freedom loving people of the Alliance who are fed up with the Raven dictators and sick and tired of them making our cows milk curdle...
« Last Edit: 04 May 2017, 11:26:51 by Archangel »
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2017, 08:45:49 »
Muerte a los opresores del Clan! Viva la Alianza!
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2017, 11:39:37 »
I for one welcome our new raven overlords.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2017, 14:44:21 »

Pressing it!!!
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2017, 20:03:43 »
Yessss....do just that.

Mwahahahah~
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2017, 20:04:19 »

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2017, 22:49:07 »
I'm really disappointed I couldn't find a gif of a raven hitting a button after a 5 second google search...
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2017, 23:29:23 »
I'm really disappointed I couldn't find a gif of a raven hitting a button after a 5 second google search...

Huh.  You'd think that's be a thing.  Like, someone doing a version of a Skinner Box or something.  Wasn't one of the early Skinner Boxes with Pigeons or something like that?  Why not Corvids?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2017, 07:43:06 »
Just finished reading 3145:Updates. The biggest surprise is that the Crossbow is on the 7 position for the Raven Alliance RAT

« Last Edit: 05 May 2017, 07:44:55 by Crow »
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2017, 16:21:51 »
I couldn't find anything under crows either, but this picture might make a nice cluster insignia.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2017, 18:32:04 »
Just finished reading 3145:Updates. The biggest surprise is that the Crossbow is on the 7 position for the Raven Alliance RAT

Wait, really?  Man, that, uh, must've been a lot of salvage they had.  Huh.

Well, another reason for me to like the Ravens, as I've always had a weird fondness for that Mech.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2017, 18:41:20 »
Wait, really?  Man, that, uh, must've been a lot of salvage they had.  Huh.

Well, another reason for me to like the Ravens, as I've always had a weird fondness for that Mech.
I would not be surprised if the Ravens simply stored most of the salvaged CSV Crossbows, in case of a very rainy day.

ps. to any CGL staff listening, please, we need an Crossbow R (nicely critpacked and ENE please).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2017, 19:28:48 »
I always just figured the crossbow was put into production as it was an easy-to-manufacture 'mech and with the Raven's limited resources is a good option to bolster the touman.

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2017, 21:12:15 »
I always just figured the crossbow was put into production as it was an easy-to-manufacture 'mech and with the Raven's limited resources is a good option to bolster the touman.

Ugh if we're doing a Viper mech we should rename it.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2017, 22:07:54 »
Meh, "Crossbow" is a pretty neutral name, and I claim it is Raven designed anyways, considering it was designed by stolen Raven scientists anyways.

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2017, 00:19:04 »
Meh, "Crossbow" is a pretty neutral name, and I claim it is Raven designed anyways, considering it was designed by stolen Raven scientists anyways.

Oh yeah I forgot Raven scientists made it. I retract my previous statement. Esp since the Ravens aren't currently making any Frontline Heavy 'mechs (unless you count the Bombardier or Merlin, which,  who am I kidding of course they're Frontline!)

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2017, 17:37:57 »

The MUL lists the Crossbow as only used by Ravens during the Dark Age and the Early and Late Republic peroids. Prior to that, during the Jihad it actually had IS Clan General plus assorted Homeworlders.

That said, the MUL doesn't say how common mechs are, and the RATs are just a generalized way of rolling up a random force. You'll probably have to wait for a new Objectives book or an incidental line in another sourcebook (e.g ilClan, pg 93930 Appendix Z, "The Snow Raven Crossbow factory on Dante was levelled by Triumvirate genetitans in Aug 3184").

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2017, 21:25:15 »
Given that Ravens are not only Clan Warship, but also Clan Technician, Clan Never-Throw-Anything-Away, and Clan Spiteful, I'd be TOTALLY okay with them having whipped up a Crossbow factory.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2017, 21:44:21 »
The MUL lists the Crossbow as only used by Ravens during the Dark Age and the Early and Late Republic peroids. Prior to that, during the Jihad it actually had IS Clan General plus assorted Homeworlders.

Actually it falls under Clan Snow Raven in both the Clan Invasion and Civil War Eras (this era includes the IS clans, but at this point the Ravens aren't in the Inner Sphere in any sort of numbers yet ) - this is not a counter to your point, but adds some information - it then moves to IS Clan General in the Jihad Era, then the Raven Alliance in the three following eras.  This gives credence to the idea of a factory producing them, but that's still no guarantee there is one (stronger in that they are the only faction listed as using them in the later eras).  The ease of its manufacture is a supporting factor to this given the Raven's lack of general resources, but again, is not proof.

To me, there is enough circumstantial evidence to support the idea of a factory producing them in the Alliance - but without proof it is simply supposition.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2017, 06:57:32 »
It actually makes sense that it is produced by the Raven Alliance.  Everything is standard technology except for the weapons and omnipods.  They can make them cheaply and give them to the Outworld units and say "Look, we're giving you omnimechs!".  Outworld techs wouldn't have difficulty maintaining them either.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2017, 07:42:29 »
It actually makes sense that it is produced by the Raven Alliance.  Everything is standard technology except for the weapons and omnipods.  They can make them cheaply and give them to the Outworld units and say "Look, we're giving you omnimechs!".  Outworld techs wouldn't have difficulty maintaining them either.
And now we need an 'O' Loadout.  ;)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2017, 07:51:24 »
I mean, I know that a lot of Vipers died in their mechs during the invasion of Lum, it just seems odd to me that there are so many Crossbows left in the RA 70 years later given the turnover in the Raven touman. I mean, we don't even have Minoraurs or Centaurs left on our Protomech RATs by 3145, but we have somehow have Crossbows...  ??? Maybe our R-teams did a really good job? Or the Raven Touman really is that small now and we're really only talking about only 10 Crossbows here?

Given that salvaged Mechs are almost always in the 2 or 12 position on RATs (e.g. Black Lanner on the Steel Viper tables in FM:WC, Blood Kites on the Star Adder tables, etc) a 7 position would seem to imply that the RA produces them. I'm not the biggest fan of the Crossbow, partially because of its association with the Viper aesthetic but also not least of which is that it can't even manage to have 20 points of armor on certain locations (bleh!) The only variant that suits my style is the B, although the E seems intriguing.

I would be inclined to agree that it's in easy Omnimech to churn out, given that it doesn't have any advanced components, you really just need Omni pods and you're good to go.

Of course, the question on my mind is why didn't we start up a Stormcrow factory? It's basically the Raven totem Mech and is all I could ask for (why bother producing heavy Mechs when you have the Stormcrow?). The Ryoken II however, is a joke.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2017, 08:10:42 »
But the Ryoken III shows possibilities.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2017, 08:19:36 »
I mean, I know that a lot of Vipers died in their mechs during the invasion of Lum, it just seems odd to me that there are so many Crossbows left in the RA 70 years later given the turnover in the Raven touman. I mean, we don't even have Minoraurs or Centaurs left on our Protomech RATs by 3145, but we have somehow have Crossbows...  ??? Maybe our R-teams did a really good job? Or the Raven Touman really is that small now and we're really only talking about only 10 Crossbows here?

Given that salvaged Mechs are almost always in the 2 or 12 position on RATs (e.g. Black Lanner on the Steel Viper tables in FM:WC, Blood Kites on the Star Adder tables, etc) a 7 position would seem to imply that the RA produces them. I'm not the biggest fan of the Crossbow, partially because of its association with the Viper aesthetic but also not least of which is that it can't even manage to have 20 points of armor on certain locations (bleh!) The only variant that suits my style is the B, although the E seems intriguing.

I would be inclined to agree that it's in easy Omnimech to churn out, given that it doesn't have any advanced components, you really just need Omni pods and you're good to go.
I can imagine that any remaining Minotaurs or Centaurs were traded to CHH, while the Raven focused more on the Roc and Gorgon. Also there is no way to tell how many Crossbows were salvaged and perhaps stored over the centuries.

Of course, the question on my mind is why didn't we start up a Stormcrow factory? It's basically the Raven totem Mech and is all I could ask for (why bother producing heavy Mechs when you have the Stormcrow?). The Ryoken II however, is a joke.
The Raven are likely hand-building Stormcrows (like the Wolfs were doing with Timber Wolfs), until the Ryoken III becomes available.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2017, 08:21:19 »
But the Ryoken III shows possibilities.

The RA should trial for this Mech.

Btw, who wants to invade Terra along the way?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Register