Author Topic: Recoil Compensator  (Read 3030 times)

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
Recoil Compensator
« on: 05 May 2017, 11:13:11 »
Attachment to UAC and RAC,  1 ton/crit. Grants a +1 to cluster roll and reduces jamming chance by 1 step (ie: UACs wont jam on double tap).

Good, bad, indifferent?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Recoil Compensator
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2017, 12:00:40 »
I like the idea of Artemis-like modules for ACs.

But the Ultra jamming doesn't result from recoil but rather the feed system issue, so i'd modify the module somehow.
Probably +2 to cluster hit (effectively guarantees double-tap double-shot) and either reduce minimum range or adjust range brackets by +1 without adjusting maximum range (ie basically long range bracket becomes smaller while short and medium get longer). This could be very powerful though, perhaps too much so, for 1 ton 1 crit.

Note that i'm biased toward Ultras as they are, i find the jamming effect funny in its stupidity.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2017, 20:32:47 »
For 1 ton/1 crit, I think +1 on the cluster roll is more than enough.  Nice idea overall.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2017, 20:45:17 »
I'd say it's too light and small, hence unbalanced. Because for larger ACs it becomes too beneficial. True, Artemis IV is only 1 ton and gives a +2 bonus, but missiles always hit in clusters not larger than 5. On the other hand, you have only +1 bonus... Still, seems too unfair. I suggest scaling with the mass of the cannon. From the description, it actually should do this anyway. And I agree with Empyrus that that it should not affect jamming. (Though, I think that UACs should be allowed to unjam anyway.)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2017, 21:14:13 »
Good idea!

I think it should weigh 10% of AC tonnage rounded UP to nearest half ton, and take up 1 crit (most ACs are relatively big as it is).

Benefits should differ by AC class. Standard/Light ACs receive +1 damage (below class 10) and +2 damage (class 10 and above), LBXs receive +2 to cluster, UACs receive +3 to cluster, RACs receive +1 to cluster and -1 to unjam.

Howzat?

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2017, 21:59:55 »
Good idea!

I think it should weigh 10% of AC tonnage rounded UP to nearest half ton, and take up 1 crit (most ACs are relatively big as it is).

Benefits should differ by AC class. Standard/Light ACs receive +1 damage (below class 10) and +2 damage (class 10 and above), LBXs receive +2 to cluster, UACs receive +3 to cluster, RACs receive +1 to cluster and -1 to unjam.

Howzat?

I'd say it should affect only UACs, because otherwise it becomes hard to justify its effects fluff-wise. And I'd suggest it to be 0.5,/1/1.5/2 ton for UACs 2/5/10/20 respectively, take one crit slot for each ton or a fraction of the mass of the device and giving a +2 cluster hit bonus. Since UAC/20 takes 10 slots there can be problems with mounting a compensator of any size on it.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2017, 00:00:06 »
Or different equipment for different ACs

Recoil Compansator for UAC -1 for targeting weight of AC Divide by 5 equals weight one crit

Rangefinder maybe for LBX additional +1 to clusters -1 to hit size of AC divide by 2 weight, 2 crits

Expanded AC Ammo Bin for standard AC for 1.5 ton you do can fit more of the special ammo in a single crit space
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2017, 00:14:20 »
Recoil Compansator for UAC -1 for targeting weight of AC Divide by 5 equals weight one crit

Would it be up to me, I would  not mess with to-hit modifiers, there are Targeting Computers and AES for this. Moreover, for 1 crit, they are a bit too cheesy. And from the name "Recoil Compensator" I would expect cluster hit modifiers.

Expanded AC Ammo Bin for standard AC for 1.5 ton you do can fit more of the special ammo in a single crit space

I would make it take up 2 crit slots.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2017, 00:40:39 »
Would it be up to me, I would  not mess with to-hit modifiers, there are Targeting Computers and AES for this. Moreover, for 1 crit, they are a bit too cheesy. And from the name "Recoil Compensator" I would expect cluster hit modifiers.

I would make it take up 2 crit slots.

Yeah the -1 to hit was a bit iffy with me too

2 crits could work essentially you get a full ammo bin instead of the halves that you get from special ammo
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2017, 01:30:54 »
I was really wanting something that would help UACs see more use. Lots of people deride the jamming and the cluster 2 table is kind of a bitch most times.

Register