Author Topic: Modular Basing  (Read 9415 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Modular Basing
« on: 05 May 2017, 13:44:50 »
One of the things you see in some Sci-Fi settings is the idea of modular buildings able to be rapidly set up to offer facilities to a command sent somewhere new.  Starship troopers, Space Above & Beyond, Star Wars and even Star Trek all had rapid set up (or drop off as the case maybe) buildings ground forces- or support for aero forces on the ground- would use for barracks, rec, tac/strat, storage and repair.

What sort of things do you think should be available to Houses & mercs for such rapid deployments?  What might be the most common/popular?

If you know links to real systems, it would also be cool to see.

I think some of the top would be-

Vehicle Repair Bay
Something like-

or

Stack them 3 high, IMO using I-beams as girders for stability, and you could have a mech repair bay, using the containers to mount or open doors for gantry walks.  Inside each container would be the tools and equipment to repair vehicles or armor.  If the frame of the structure uses I-beams then you should be able to easily work of a overhead winch/crane . . . or you use vehicle versions to get into action faster.

For barracks-

If you do not want them dug in, then below is a option- they even have AC/heat judging by the picture.  For something more protected you can put up sandbags or their 31st century equivalent.  Or if you have quick working engineers, you can dig a trench to put them in.

Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: Modular Basing
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2017, 14:03:28 »
Inflatable buildings like combat support hospitals. Cargo containers like we use today. Really whatever is available.

For a Cattle raid they aren't required. For the most part I see the Dropships being the modular buildings. Then you never have to pack and unpack. There is the Dove with Medical Facilities, Mech and Vehicle Carriers with repair bays, and Cargo carriers are cavernous.

For in the field, I'd imaging you drag the mech or vehicle to the repair vehicle or move the repair vehicle to the mech or vehicle. Basicllay just a big giant convoy, like we say in Iraq, basically big defended perimeters, with what ever you have or need inside the perimeter.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2017, 13:17:12 »
If you were really motivated, you could have your 'Mechs dig holes in the ground with their hands to put your modular buildings in to provide some more protection. Granted they'd be a PITA to evacuate, but avoiding artillery and weapons fire is probably something everyone would appreciate.

Though I don't know how an inflatable building would do underground. ;)

Edit: I realized just now that you could probably use a few of the Gun Trailers from TRO:3145 Mercs as models for your modular buildings. Replace the weapons with crew quarters.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2017, 13:20:14 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2017, 13:30:28 »
If you were really motivated, you could have your 'Mechs dig holes in the ground with their hands to put your modular buildings in to provide some more protection. Granted they'd be a PITA to evacuate, but avoiding artillery and weapons fire is probably something everyone would appreciate.

Though I don't know how an inflatable building would do underground. ;)

Edit: I realized just now that you could probably use a few of the Gun Trailers from TRO:3145 Mercs as models for your modular buildings. Replace the weapons with crew quarters.

There is the GSEV, the Davion Omni Support Truck.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2017, 14:19:30 »
Well, we have the base construction rules in Campaign Ops for guides on cost/size etc.  More I was looking at examples and some fluff to back up capabilities.  For instance in high school I trained in a machine shop, since I already had most my academic requirements met, that had roughly four lathes, drill press or two, a table for bending/shaping metal & dies to go with it, along with other equipment I did not use much or remember.  Then you have the cutting torches; arc, MIG & TIG welders . . . it was a pretty comprehensive shop, and you could make a LOT of things just by getting the raw materials.  Throw all of that in 3 or 4 containers with a container with a FCE or ICE generator (or one of your spare SFE hooked up) and you would have a pretty solid machine shop to meet small unit needs.

My old unit's motorpool was shared with another artillery battalion & the brigade HQ, they had a electronics shop that would fit in one or two containers with tools, spares and testing equipment which should fit in two containers.  Now it was not quite up to depot level repairs- those were taken a few miles away to a contractor ran depot- but the techs in charge of the pairs were a bit more capable than the manuals required.

I had forgotten about the inflatable buildings, we used them once or twice for chow halls and I think I heard of smaller versions being used for barracks when in transit.  One was used for training, teaching the new laser sights on the M4s and bore-siting the lasers.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2017, 14:38:16 »
More I was looking at examples and some fluff to back up capabilities.

I did a google search for "containerized machine shop" and it looks like there's a company called SeaBox that does exactly what you suggest. They make a machine shop that fits into two 20' containers.

Google also suggested containerized living unit. After running that search I found a Wikipedia page and a DTIC PDF document.

So that may help you get going.

edit: Also be sure to look at Wikipedia Shipping Container Architecture page. Has a whole list of stuff you may find interesting.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2017, 14:42:48 »
this is pretty much how i argue the modular bays design of the Aurora dropship work. they are basically big cargo bays with those interlocking mechanisms built into them, so you can customize it with modules suited to the item your putting in the bay. need a mechbay? install a stretch of flooring, a gantry, and put the machineshop and living space module in opposite corners. need a fighter bay? pull those out and install a catapult, storage cradle, and move the machineshop and living space modules around to fit.
Light Vehicle bays? three sections of tie-down flooring, possibly staggered vertically.
Battle Armor Bays? additional barraks style living modules, storage modules for BA, and a BA specific machine shop module...

etc. not something you can easily do on the move.. but any spaceport ought to be able to handle the work required to refit a bay, since it is largely a case of using a crane to lift out the old parts and boxes and lower in the new ones.

i felt this made more sense than "each bay is a giant box and you have to rip out 1/6th of your ship everytime you want to refit"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2017, 02:33:33 »
OK, for small stuff you can probably haul it around on the back of a truck, anything bigger, like 'Mech Bays, well there's DropShips

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2017, 21:24:06 »
If you know links to real systems, it would also be cool to see.

The previous links about Container Quarters combined with some HESCO barriers would make for a quick field base set up.
http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/infrastructure/hesco/

I've seen some ideas for CLQ type use by civilians where they either bury it in the earth & enter through the roof or, they have it at ground level but cover 3 sides in dirt to insulate & reduce the need for AC/Heat.
Not a bad option for a "wilderness cabin".

I've even seen 2 of them together w/ 1 acting as storage/garage for a portable generator & ATV that get pulled out when the cabin is occupied.

I think the CLQ concept would just be that much more common in the 31st century with dropship deployments.
Didn't Wolf Dragoons set up a small city overnight whenever they deployed to a new base world originally?

I would think that would only be possible through a LOT of prefab & modular containers.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Lamont-Cranston

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2017, 05:14:12 »
Didnt a Davion book include modular support vehicle and trailer? Had a mechanic workshop, bunk, kitchen, field hospital, etc trailers

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2017, 08:37:18 »
Didnt a Davion book include modular support vehicle and trailer? Had a mechanic workshop, bunk, kitchen, field hospital, etc trailers

You might be thinking of this:

There is the GSEV, the Davion Omni Support Truck.

And given your username, it's somewhat ironic you didn't know that. ;)

But now that I think about it some more, I guess the base would have to be evil, right?
Be the Loremaster:

kato

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2017, 17:03:01 »
Sweden uses these as aircraft hangars for deploying distributed bases:

Supposedly they fit in a 20' container and can be erected by three men without any mechanical assistance systems according to the manufacturer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2017, 22:48:29 »
Interesting, is there a link to that company's site?
Colt Ward

kato

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2017, 23:57:37 »
Not linking the company itself since their website doesn't have these anyway.

https://www.copybook.com/companies/nss-sverige

Might also want to click Military Shelters at categories near the bottom.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2017, 10:01:43 »
FWIW, I think the U.S. Army is now testing inflatable buildings. They look like Quonset huts, but the ribs and poles and stuff are actually airbags that are inflated. Found it: Airbeams.

That could also be a source of inspiration.
Be the Loremaster:

kato

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2017, 10:54:32 »
Supposedly they fit in a 20' container and can be erected by three men without any mechanical assistance systems according to the manufacturer.
P.S.: Saab quotes the same shelters as being able to be set up by 4-5 men and a wheel loader in 12 hours. That apparently includes those six containers set up along the sides, which contain the actual machinery workshops and a generator.

The somewhat larger, more elaborate version by Saab is the Deployable Aircraft Maintenance Facility, which apparently is the same with a more shelter-looking hangar (transported in two containers) and eleven containers for workshops etc.

With this larger facility in addition to the main shelter arrangement there's a second one for the pilot locker rooms (!) and aircrew equipment - three containers arranged around a central roofed area - and separately set storage containers for spare parts and ammunition.

The main hangar covers over 600 m², i.e. with attached containers should be more like two hexbases by itself already.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2017, 11:38:10 »

Too bad we don't have MCVs (from C&C) in real life.

It would be nice if there was a vehicle that could become a hanger within minutes. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

kato

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2017, 12:14:49 »
This gantry array makes me think mech bay.

Nominally meant to enlarge (civilian) aircraft hangars when docking aircraft too big for it. Google "Mobile Tail Enclosure" for other examples.

This particular one can be towed btw, it's basically a trailer.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2017, 12:30:55 »
Too bad we don't have MCVs (from C&C) in real life.

It would be nice if there was a vehicle that could become a hanger within minutes.
Wouldn't be all that complicated to modify this into one...

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2017, 15:01:44 »
With things like foamed epoxy (it already exists) and other futuristic composite materials, you could theoretically "inflate" a giant "balloon" building with some sort of advanced expanding foam, and have it harden over a couple of hours into a relatively strong solid structure.

Using shipping containers would make sense too.  Unpack your stuff from the dropships, convert the containers into temp housing, and at the end of the contract, put everything back in the containers and load those back into the dropships.

One might also consider using rammed earth to fortify the shelters, by bulldozing 5-10 meters of sloped earth up against them.  Not exactly underground, but the next best thing to it.  When you're done, you might consider re-leveling the site for the convenience of the owners, particularly if you're likely to work for them again in the future.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2017, 21:08:35 »
FWIW, I think the U.S. Army is now testing inflatable buildings. They look like Quonset huts, but the ribs and poles and stuff are actually airbags that are inflated. Found it: Airbeams.

Large structures like that have been in use for at least 10 years IIRC, had a briefing in one and some training for night laser sights on M4s.
Colt Ward

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2017, 06:59:42 »
One might also consider using rammed earth to fortify the shelters, by bulldozing 5-10 meters of sloped earth up against them.  Not exactly underground, but the next best thing to it.  When you're done, you might consider re-leveling the site for the convenience of the owners, particularly if you're likely to work for them again in the future.

Or if it's a good enough site, you could leave it in place for the planetary militia.

Large structures like that have been in use for at least 10 years IIRC, had a briefing in one and some training for night laser sights on M4s.
Ah. Thanks Colt. I wasn't sure if they'd been out that long. And we hadn't mentioned them before so...
Be the Loremaster:

kato

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 20 July 2017, 14:54:27 »
Going back to something I posted before three quarters of this thread were dumped in the database restore, i've found a company that produces prefabricated shelters and buildings out of simple cement-based fassade elements set into a steel truss frame. They build them in massive quantities for the Indian Army and some Indian state police forces, as in several hundred for housing personnel at air force bases or larger bases or small sets of a few houses for a local police station.

The interesting part is the sales pitch though: They advertise them as small and lightweight enough to be transported over any terrain - read if necessary by animal or hand. And they can be assembled fast. Supposedly 8-10 hours for 1000 square feet.

Perfect standin for quick-assembly light buildings in BT in my opinion. And the kind of thing that wouldn't look out of place e.g. for a militia base.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 20 July 2017, 16:33:49 »
Yeah, I would look to take some of that stuff if I was going into a garrison/cadre contract and being told that they would not have any basing for my needs.  And the client would be footing the bill for such construction materials.
Colt Ward

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #24 on: 20 July 2017, 22:15:48 »

Actually, the Army's been experimenting with inflatables since the '50s, with the MUST (Medical Unit, Self-contained, Transportable) units which were eyed as a replacement for the MASH units in Korea. The units saw limited use in Vietnam, before it became clear that the fuel consumption for the compressors (around 3,000 gallons per day of a rather dangerous blend of jet fuel) was impractical.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2017, 08:54:23 »
Actually, the Army's been experimenting with inflatables since the '50s, with the MUST (Medical Unit, Self-contained, Transportable) units which were eyed as a replacement for the MASH units in Korea. The units saw limited use in Vietnam, before it became clear that the fuel consumption for the compressors (around 3,000 gallons per day of a rather dangerous blend of jet fuel) was impractical.
That is why you want to have the inflatable shelter serve as the "form" for a more permanent material, ideally something inexpensive that can be sprayed or painted on, expand and harden, and then be abandoned or broken up when you move on.  The other alternative is modular pieces like the cement panels or stacked storage containers pictured previously, which can be reused with each new contract.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2017, 10:34:11 »
That is why you want to have the inflatable shelter serve as the "form" for a more permanent material, ideally something inexpensive that can be sprayed or painted on, expand and harden, and then be abandoned or broken up when you move on.  The other alternative is modular pieces like the cement panels or stacked storage containers pictured previously, which can be reused with each new contract.

I just had a vision of an inflatable building going up then being covered by shotcrete.
Be the Loremaster:

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 22 July 2017, 23:23:51 »
I was always a fan of the repair bays from Mechwarrior 4 - sort of a red collapsible gantry with olive drab tarps as  weatherproofing. very temporary but practical-looking.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 23 July 2017, 13:25:43 »
I just had a vision of an inflatable building going up then being covered by shotcrete.
Now giving that some googling...

USN manual for exactly that.

"To evaluate methods for the economical construction of shotcrete personnel shelters, shotcrete arches were cast over various forms: a Quonset arch, a flexible plywood shell, a pneumatic airform, and a compacted earth mound. Salvageable Quonsets were found to be the most economical."

Apparently the balloon... err, "pneumatic airform" wasn't rigid enough - "dimensional stability of the form was difficult to control".

Quonsets are those semicircular hangar buildings.

Now this part...
"The Quonset form is rugged, consequently traction power equipment (jeep, fork lift, etc.) may be used in pulling the form from the arch. [...] For the construction of arches of extreme length, the Quonset form may be modified by the addition of rollers or of wheels and track to serve as a traveling form."
is like they're telling us to make a form-giving trailer vehicle.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 29 July 2017, 00:58:49 »
Those tent things that people have posted pictures off? I want stats, a great way to avoid weather penalties for repairs to every thing but 'Mechs and DS

Register