Author Topic: Official height (dimensions) of Mechs and Vehicles?  (Read 76874 times)

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
Official height (dimensions) of Mechs and Vehicles?
« on: 12 May 2011, 13:24:43 »
The official height of a Mech has always been a discussion point, some official products have given different heights for certain Mechs, licenced products (like computer games) have given a plethora of conflicting heights for Mechs, and the official miniatures are so out of scale that it isn't funny. The thing that binds most official direct sources of height is that almost all of them are pretty old. So now enter the "General Size Comparison Chart" from Technical Readout: 3039 (2009), that's pretty recent.

We have a couple of Mechs from the different weight classes, Vehicles from the various weight classes, a couple of Dropships (Leopard, Union, Overlord) and a 'standard' man. If we measure the 'standard' man at ~1.8m tall (and the height of the Dropships confirms that approximation) we get heights for the Mechs listed.

Mechs (height)
Light => Commando (25 ton) = 9m
Medium => Enforcer (50 ton) = 12m
Heavy => Grashopper (70 ton) = 14m
Assault => Banshee (95 ton) = 15.2m

Vehicles (length)
Light => J. Edgar Light Hover Tank = 4.7m
Medium => Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun = 6.9m
Heavy => Rommel Tank = 8.6m
Assault => Banshee = 9.5m

Now we all know that the IWM and RPE miniatures aren't to scale, but a lot of us thought that the Armorcast 1:60 (advertised) were to scale:
Atlas (100 ton) => 10.5" (26.5cm) = ~16m
Mad Cat (75 ton) => 8.25" (21cm) = ~12.5m
Vulture (60 ton) => 8.25" (21cm) = ~12.5m

I could believe the height of 16m for the Atlas it's 100 tons (5 tons heavier then the Banshee), so I can explain the 0.8m extra. The Mad Cat and the Vulture are pretty much the same size, which isn't all that strange because they have the same underchassis (at least visually). The Madcat discrepancy (when compared to the grasshopper) could be explained due to the being bird legs, the Vulture is pretty hard to explain imho (with 15 ton difference in weight). So a 20 ton Locust could be half the size of a 100 ton Atlas according to these figures.

The question is how 'cannon' are these drawings, the extracted heights and how comfortable are you with these heights in your game?

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
Re: Official height (dimensions) of Mechs and Vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 13:40:14 »
I try not to think about it to much.  Even more so when the subject is infantry carriers. 

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2011, 14:04:25 »
I try not to think about it to much.  Even more so when the subject is infantry carriers.

We're talking about a tech level at which a hundred and more missiles can fit into a single one-ton ammo bin and be casually fed from their location in, say, a side torso to their launcher on the wrist of a fully-modelled arm.

Storing a few PBIs whose bodies are considerably less rigid to begin with should be child's play by comparison. :D

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 14:22:32 »
When imagining the Battletech universe (or any sci-fi setting) it isn't how things work that are the problem, it's how things look that is the issue. The writers are imagining things that haven't been invented yet and often don't have the technical know how to know if something is feasible or not. When something as simple as size keeps shifting from 3 to 5+ stories in height it gets a bit difficult to concentrate ;-)

The clown car infantry transports are imho a bigger eyesore then the missile issue. A Chinook carries 33-55 men (two IS infantry platoons are 56 men) and is 30m long...

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2011, 15:01:04 »
When imagining the Battletech universe (or any sci-fi setting) it isn't how things work that are the problem, it's how things look that is the issue. The writers are imagining things that haven't been invented yet and often don't have the technical know how to know if something is feasible or not. When something as simple as size keeps shifting from 3 to 5+ stories in height it gets a bit difficult to concentrate ;-)

The clown car infantry transports are imho a bigger eyesore then the missile issue. A Chinook carries 33-55 men (two IS infantry platoons are 56 men) and is 30m long...

But how high is it? It could be the British version that is built off the double decker bus chassis :P
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Lafeel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2011, 15:03:38 »
Plus the Soviets have long proved that there are ways to pack people tighter into vehicles than the US army does it.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2011, 15:09:32 »

Simple answer: 

'Mechs are two levels tall.

Vehicles are one level high.

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2011, 15:10:19 »
Plus the Soviets have long proved that there are ways to pack people tighter into vehicles than the US army does it.

Last I checked they needed extra people to make up for casualties that the US military does not take.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2011, 15:13:40 »
We're talking about a tech level at which a hundred and more missiles can fit into a single one-ton ammo bin and be casually fed from their location in, say, a side torso to their launcher on the wrist of a fully-modelled arm.

Storing a few PBIs whose bodies are considerably less rigid to begin with should be child's play by comparison. :D

Yes, but missiles don't complain when they're pretzeled.   :P

That would explain the rule about no shooting or moving the turn infantry debarks from a vehicle.  They're too busy trying to stand up. 

Lafeel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 15:55:25 »
Last I checked they needed extra people to make up for casualties that the US military does not take.
Never said it was a good idea to go down that road, just pointing it out.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 19:11:30 »
There a nice 'Mech / vehicle scaling chart in TRO: 3039.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2011, 22:14:22 »
I never worry about the cannon of things until that cannon is pointed in my direction.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2018, 04:23:34 »
Disclaimer: I posted in this topic simple because its the first topic that google search will deliver. So other ones will look here first.
I have spend some months of spare time in running circles about the size of things in BT. Not to mention that a lot of sources are contraindicating. And some things simple don't work.
Things that don't work - the Hetzer from the TRO3039... without black hole technology you can't store 4tons of ammunition (the caliber doesn't matter) in that chassis.
The size of vehicles is a different topic (the size need to be depended on the slots used not the tonnage)
But this doesn't work for Mechs.

So I tried the Shadow Hawk - its THE average BattleMech - fast, mobile, flexible, the jack of all trades. Somewhere I remembered that the SHD should have 9.5m in height.
I'm far from finished but I think 9.5m are possible.... however when I compare this with the TRO3039 chart and add some unaltered MWO mechs to the mix....

(added versions of Goblin and Demolisher for the comparison) - did use a Warhammer instead of the hopper because I only extracted a couple of miniatures from the game and the Grashopper and Enforcer are not part of those.

So the question is: should I increase the SHD or shrink the others. Or should I try to get a volume of the model and run the numbers against a vehicle builder that includes space (GURPS, CORPS) what do you think.

I hope I don't violate terms (if so pls remove this post)

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2018, 04:41:05 »
I can't cite a source, but I'm fairly certain 9.5m is way too short for a SHD. (Disregarding the autocannon for the purpose of this discussion.) I dimly recall 12m.

Similarly unsourced I seem to recall the Gargoyle had been identified as the tallest known 'Mech chassis.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2018, 04:53:08 »
Mechs are tall and big...but scaleing on the minis are nowhere near exact.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2018, 05:03:32 »
You gotta fit a dude in the head.  That makes a pretty hard and fast minimum, especially for lights...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2018, 06:12:43 »
You gotta fit a dude in the head.  That makes a pretty hard and fast minimum, especially for lights...
Yep, the seat in the SHD is buried half way in the upper torso, this could work for lights as well
Although, not for the Wolfhound.  >:(
The whole head is an escape capsule, so its necessary to put the whole cockpit in the head. 
Tis would be the "start" from there it should be possible to scale the rest accordingly.  ???

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2018, 10:22:43 »
as a rule of thumb...
most mechs are from around 8m to 11m ish tall.  with a few outliers that are taller or shorter depending on exactly how you measure.

for example the old techprint of the madcat/timberwolf has it being (according to the scale) just under 12meters tall, until you count the running lights/D-ring looking things at the top of the missile pod boxes, and then it hits 12 meters or just over.

on the other hand the classic warhammer is closer to 8.5-9 meters tall or so with I want to say the top of the head being 7-8 meters up and the missile pod being the top point (obviously)

as I remember it the thor at the top of the missile pod is something like 12-14 meters high which is why its one of the tallest mechs in existence.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2018, 10:41:37 »
Then you add in the complications of bird-legged designs, quads, and other anomalies, and suddenly the effort to put it all into a neat table or formula breaks down from "roughly applicable" to "hardly applicable, with LOTS of exceptions".  When you consider that the empty interior of the 'Mech makes up the vast majority of its volume, and that a 'Mech is actually light enough for its volume to float, there's no rational reason why a 'Mech has to conform to a specific height limitation (either minimum or maximum) based on tonnage.  Basically, it needs to be big enough to fit the cockpit and engine/gyro.  Beyond that, it's up to the designer to fit it all together in a manner that functions, regardless of how tall it ends up being.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2018, 17:09:05 »
When the BMR said Mechs averaged between 10 and 12 meters, I strongly took them at their word, meaning only a handful of designs broke the mold.

So, that 14m Grasshopper is a little oversized. And, a lot of the light Mechs, if you follow that the cockpit actually fits in the head, are actually undersized. That, or the head is just part of an assembly that fits around the pilot's neurohelmet and the pilot sits down below the neck on a lot of light Mechs. the Jenner looks particularly uncomfortable.

I never had a problem with 10m tall light mechs that don't look distended, but proportional, because of all the different chassis materials once listed in the Tech Manuals, and the different armor manufacturers. It makes sense to me that Light Mechs might actually have a lot of air space under the armor, or that their Myomers are not as densely packed as a 100ton Atlas, let a lone a 55ton Shadow Hawk.

I've looked at the tank sculpts, too, and I can't believe that a J. Edgar, or a Pegasus hover, can actually properly fit a crew in the tank, not with an actual plenum chamber for air underneat the vehicle eating into the potential interior space. So, I've decided that some vehicles actually need to be larger than what that little chart shows. The Pegasus, Hunter, and J. Edgar minis I have got set aside for all the 1/450-1/500 scale stuff I've collected, like the BattleForce Scale mechs.

The APCs of any stripe, considering the tonnage they can carry and what that equates to as bodies according to the rules, means that the floating soap bar that is the Maxim, or the Heavy line of APCs, are actually the size of small houses, and I've relegated those miniatures to my Map-scale collection. This has inspired me to look at MWDA HQ vehicles and a few others as a starting point for modding/bashing some properly(ish) scaled Heavy-Hover, -Tracked, and -Wheeled figures for use with the more regularly sized Mech figures.

But, that's my take on it.

APCs in general have been a real contention for me because tonnage in guys can add up to a lot of volume real fast.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2018, 17:11:49 »

Simple answer: 

And, with a level being 6 meters, there you have it. Average of 12 or 11 meters. Viola! Brilliant. (I miss the thumbs up smiley.)

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2018, 17:28:09 »
A lot of the heights are derived from their Mecha inspirations out of anime.

According to Mecha HQ, the Dougram (Shadow Hawk) is 9.63 meters tall, overall, and I think that's sans cannon. That would be like a huge antenna when in stow-and-go mode.

The overall height of the Bigfoot (BattleMaster) out of Fang of the Sun Dougram is 11.64m.

The Tomahawk/Excalibur from Robotech/Macross is supposed to be 11.27 meters tall at the head, and 12.7 meters tall at the height of the launcher.

The VF-1A that is the inspiration for the Stinger is 12.68m tall, and that may include the head laser in stow-and-go mode. I would like to point out that like a lot of anime mecha, the head is a huge sensor assembly just above the cockpit, which is enclosed below the neck line, in the chest. And, the VF valks are all around 15 metric tons being transformable airframes. So, it's not a stretch for me to imagine them being appropriately sized for Stingers, Wasps and Phoenix Hawks of significantly higher mass.

That's actually a pretty good range for what's shown in that modded picture, although the BMR and Whammy need to be inverted so that I feel I'm looking at them from the front.

Go from there for other standard Mechs.

Look at the comp chart and ask if the Commando shouldn't be bigger. Or even the J.Edgar. Where is the air chamber ending on the bottom side of the tank, and how does that effect the driver compartment we see in the picture?

On a side note: Does anyone else kinda wish that the Enforcer's head looked like the one in the comp chart?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2018, 17:47:02 »
generally, the differences between lights and assualts hasn't been height, it has been width and general bulk.. assualt mechs tend to be chunkier, with thicker body parts, more barrel shaped chest areas, etc. while lights usually are more spindly and thin.

there are of course exceptions to this trend, but not many.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2018, 18:09:17 »
I really wish that were the case. Certainly if you took all the art, even just out of '39 or '25, and stacked them all so that they're all around same head height, I would believe it.

But, the minis went in a completely different direction, and I can tell that the 'official height chart' out of TRo'39 simply used the mini heights. A lot of light Mechs are very tiny, and look proportionally sound as a humaniform thing. A lot of the Medium Mechs look just as tiny, like the various 40-tonners. The Clint needs to have a volume increase of .25 to .5 more.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2018, 00:31:56 »

Simple answer: 

This O0

Actually why you don't want exact numbers. BT is paints firing arcs and distance in very broad strokes so if you get too technical with height and size, someone can argue a Locust can hide behind a McDonald's or how much partial cover a Banshee should get behind the same cover (granted, mechs can crouch and kneel in fiction)   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2018, 01:18:34 »
This O0

Actually why you don't want exact numbers. BT is paints firing arcs and distance in very broad strokes so if you get too technical with height and size, someone can argue a Locust can hide behind a McDonald's or how much partial cover a Banshee should get behind the same cover (granted, mechs can crouch and kneel in fiction)   

Which is fine for hexmap play. (And TacOps does have rules for taking a knee somewhere...)

For miniatures play though...having scale be all over the place as it is, is... unfortunate...

In regards to the TRO: 3039 scale chart, I've always felt that Commando was too small, it should be sealed up just a bit more. (And ironically enough, the Atlas was originally fluffed as being a bit short for an Assault, even the first sculpts of the minis reflected that. It wasn't until the resculpt that it was...stretched.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2018, 02:05:19 »
Well miniatures are a different piece of cake. I still wake up screaming when I think about the infamous warlord. The first sculpt Atlas goes only to the hip.
I think the scale between miniatures of a production circle is similar.
The reseens for example fit to each other well enough.
But newer sculpt are to big - the good part is you see it at the price if the scaling fit or not.

As Daemion mentioned the vehicles are usual to small same for aerospace fighters but considering mechs the scale might to be to big.
The 9.5m for the SHD seem to be possible. Simple because all it's guns are mounted at the outside.

Mechs like Catapract compared to the Marauder will need more  volume.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2018, 02:14:23 »
(And ironically enough, the Atlas was originally fluffed as being a bit short for an Assault, even the first sculpts of the minis reflected that. It wasn't until the resculpt that it was...stretched.)

That would be the Lyran model out of Hesperus. Part of the third succession war 'upgrade' to the model.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2018, 02:24:48 »
*shrug* I never took mini's scale that seriously.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #29 on: 14 February 2018, 02:52:35 »
That would be the Lyran model out of Hesperus. Part of the third succession war 'upgrade' to the model.

Could be I guess. The fluff I was referencing was TRO: 3025. (Seemed to imply it was always the way. But who can trust a ComStar authored book anymore? :D)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 14 February 2018, 03:07:57 »
Yeah. It seems to be a common attitude. I think I took up a slight OCD about it a while back when people joke or bitch about the ranges. Infantry combat - unaugmented - I could see done in short ranges that barely take up a few hundred meters/yards, simply because a guy has to eyeball his shots and things look smaller the further away they get. I don't know how far exactly it is from 2nd street to main in my small town, but that's making human targets as small as a mini right in front of my face, and I have to duck and cover and hold the shot steady enough to nail that tiny thing, while it, too, is moving?

Sure. But, in a sci-fi setting, with augmentation, range shouldn't be that big of an issue, and a standard 2x1 map set-up is a kilometer across. I've seen a kilometer and even a mile and beyond, from interesting vantage points with time to really soak it in, and while it may not seem that big, it's still pretty big.

One of the reasons about the notion of things being laughable in the game happens to be the divergent scales that the minis are supposed to have been made at versus the scale the map is played on.  Without any indicator, either mechs are insanely huge, (which happened with one fresh author to the franchise in one of the short stories written for our current Total Warfare Ruleset) or the ranges look laughably short if you know nothing about how things are scaled when people use official minis on official maps.

Knowing that, I set out one day to make my games more appropriately visual, so that people would get a better feel for the scale. I went in two directions, kitbashing DA Battle Armor into map-scale figures for use in my games, as well as planning for printed maps scaled to what the BMR had stated the minis are supposed to be scaled at: 1/285 war-game scale (or Z-scale's 1/250 as a source for easy buildings).

Watching the progress of miniature production, I can tell that the older runs of Miniatures didn't have as much discrepancy right off the bat, as a lot of Mechs were pretty close together for size. The older Ral Partha infantry was better suited for Z-scale, and fit a lot better with the older runs of Battle Armor.

I like knowing that I can sit a model or mini down next to other minis of a line and say "That's how they would look next to one another, or close enough to not really matter - like a millimeter or two."

You can tell that without any knowledge to the fact that some things are actually off, and why, a lot of people will take the sizes of figures as Wysiwyg truth. I know I've seen it written about here, and talked about in person a lot of places. As I said, the TRo '39 size chart looks like it took the current measures of BT minis and simply put them to paper as the legit scale.

I've heard all the arguments as to why scale is a difficult thing for mini manufacturers, but I would be willing to buy a legitimately scaled Maxim that looks like it would hold the platoon of guys it's stated to have the volume for. I would be willing to buy a Pegasus that looks like you can man it with a proper 3-man crew that don't require being part of the Clan Pilot phenotype. I would buy a Karnov that looks like it can actually haul troops or cargo boxes or tanks at the tonnages it's stated to have the volume for.

Keeping that scale is great for running a Q&D Infantry game that works with infantry with the very minis you'd be using for your platoons in the 'larger' armored combat game, and people wouldn't bat an eye at the transition.

And, if you can't do that, at least make a line of Mechs that match the standard map. I'm tired of having to kitbash at that scale, only because I'm using DA bits, and I run out of parts very easily. I actually enjoy painting at that scale, though, because it doesn't take much.

This has translated into other games I collect for, too. But, while there's some practicality to open tabletop gaming, I just want to use it to dispel the subconscious notions about size and range, and maybe augment the notions behind the futurness of the tech behind the game.

So, that's my mania

While I can generally be forgiving about other people not adhering to it, I sometimes can't shake the notion in a deeper part of my mind that such a lack speaks of a lack of caring about the overall franchise in general.  I know that's not true, but it still raises it's ugly little head once in a while.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #31 on: 14 February 2018, 04:09:28 »
Some rules of thumb - as mass varies as the cube of length, then overall similarly looking 'Mechs should scale height-wise as the cube root of mass.

Or in simpler terms, a humanoid 100 ton 'Mech should be 1.7 times taller than a humanoid 20 ton 'Mech. Or, if an Atlas is 14m, a Wasp would be 8.2m, and a Shadow Hawk would be about 11.5m tall.

Of course, the Fatlas Atlas would be 12m ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2018, 18:32:37 »
That's assuming densities are the same, though. As I pointed out up-thread, there's room for air under the skin of some light mechs.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2018, 19:42:09 »
"similar" is probably good enough.

One could probably assign a rounding factor - say 0.7 - to digitigrade designs.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 15 February 2018, 00:06:32 »
That's assuming densities are the same, though. As I pointed out up-thread, there's room for air under the skin of some light mechs.
I think it really depends on the placement of the equipment.
Not perfect example but the Trebuchet might be less compact compared to the Hunchback with LRMs.
For the Treb the rack need to be placed inside the torso, while the racks are mounted on top for the Hunch

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #35 on: 15 February 2018, 10:52:39 »
I once set up a game using miniatures rules where the map was scaled up to match the 'Mechs.  It basically filled up the entire room from wall to wall, with almost the entire map still in range for a Medium Laser.  The ridiculously short ranges don't look as bad, even if they're still well short of late 20th Century technology.

In my opinion, the problem isn't HITTING other 'Mechs with lasers or autocannons, it's concentrating enough damage on a single location to have an appreciable effect.  That laser may burn away armor, but if it sweeps across the target, it's carving a gash 1/16" deep, and not really doing anything worth mentioning.  If the AC fires a 3 round burst (they're described as burst fire, not single shots) and they scatter, the individual impacts are going to do trivial damage.  You don't mark off damage on the record sheet for scratching the paint.  It's only if you're able to track the target properly, and hold the weapon on target for most of the duration of the shot, that it does serious damage.

Infantry can't hit the broad side of a barn at more than 30 meters in the game, but the real world effectiveness of small arms isn't much better.  MOST shots in real life miss, particularly when you're concentrating on not being shot yourself, and sending 100 rounds down range while pinned down yourself may not even get a single hit on an enemy moving carefully through scattered light cover.  I don't recall the number anymore, but there was a statistic on WWII shooting that only 1 in something well over 100 rifle rounds fired ever hit the enemy.  Rolling for 11+ or 12 doesn't seem all that unrealistic, except that you're rolling for the entire platoon at once, not individual shooters, and then inflicting damage as if the entire platoon all hit or missed.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #36 on: 15 February 2018, 12:35:29 »
I was under the impression that damage from infantry was mostly dictated by what sort of crew-served or support weapons they are equipped with? So blazing away with your Federated Long Rifle might not do more than scratch the paint & annoy the pilot, but the platoon's support PPCs? A little more effective...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 15 February 2018, 12:38:27 »
Don't start me on that boondoggle ...

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 17 February 2018, 01:30:58 »

Well, let's not forget the largest portion of a Mech's limbs is less the 'bones' and more the 'muscle' which is effectively conductive plastic, and not metal wire. There's probably a lot of different formulas that make Myomers the way they are, to the point you could justify a lighter mass of strand that has the same dimensional volume as something much heavier for a beefier machine exists, and doesn't have the same stress resistance, making for fewer damage points per ton compared to the heavier, denser formula.

And, this has precedence in some of the advanced equipment - I point you to Endo Steel, Ferro-Fibrous, and whatever makes the XL Fusion Engine bulky, but lighter, compared to the more compact structural items like Gyro and Engine which are heavier.

Clan Tech also shows in some of the weaponry a level of divergence that makes their ER Medium Laser the effectively same weapon as the old Large Laser, but for less weight and space.

If you keep that in mind, then Volume should never be a strong indicator of mass, or performance.

However, this does not mean you can make your hulls so cramped that you have to rely on a particular body build for all your war machines from a certain maker. I've just discovered, for example, that the Jilapi 27 is actually a little tight for the old Ral Partha Kurita Infantry, even looking at potential bend and different headgear.

Makes me wonder if I should reconsider what scale I thing the MASH and a few other support units should really be at, like the Long Tom. The drivers section looks right for them, but I have to wonder if function doesn't require more space. I'm still of the opinion that the MASH 'unfolds' or expands when in use.

I've also been giving some serious thought on how to do a proper mod using the Thor Artillery truck and maybe the Demon medium tank, to make a more appropriately scaled Wheeled APC from TR '25.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 17 February 2018, 01:45:11 »
I was under the impression that damage from infantry was mostly dictated by what sort of crew-served or support weapons they are equipped with? So blazing away with your Federated Long Rifle might not do more than scratch the paint & annoy the pilot, but the platoon's support PPCs? A little more effective...

Damon.

I wish it were that way, but this thread is about size and scale. So, I suppose I'll start a new thread, though the subject of depiction of infantry in-game has come up in the past.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 18 February 2018, 10:01:51 »

Sorry, I don't know why I quoted you the last time. I kinda agree with a +.07 increase in size for some of the really small mechs. And, some of the larger ones need to be shortened and broadened a bit. x.07 at the max might be good enough.

;D

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2018, 05:44:30 »
Makes me wonder if I should reconsider what scale I thing the MASH and a few other support units should really be at, like the Long Tom. The drivers section looks right for them, but I have to wonder if function doesn't require more space. I'm still of the opinion that the MASH 'unfolds' or expands when in use.

I've also been giving some serious thought on how to do a proper mod using the Thor Artillery truck and maybe the Demon medium tank, to make a more appropriately scaled Wheeled APC from TR '25.

For vehicle I though that a ton of vehicle cargo (Infanty) consumes 1 space. You can find other guidelines for weapons, ammunition turrets but that is only guessing and rule of thumb.
About your modding.... Demon and Thor - would be adequate vehicles for a 20t Heavy APC from the TR'58. The 10t TR'25 APC is a better minivan (I think the modern description is MRAP)

I think it is correct to consider light APCs to have the size of heavy combat tanks

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 19 February 2018, 21:32:52 »
More like an extra-large van, and able to work on roads with other civilian Vehicles. That means an 8 foot cross-section if you were to use modern Earth (Terran) Road standards at the widest.

While they talk about 6 mm being the proper size for infantry, I've found I prefer the slightly larger 8-10 mm stuff that abounds. Even the old Ral Partha Infantry was actually 9mm from heal to head, making them more in line with z or 1/200 scale than 1/285 or 1/300.

Even with 8 feet being 2.4 meters, that would make an 8 foot wide truck scaled to 1/285 out to be  8 to 9 mm. See an issue there?

I've honestly looked at the Striker and Thor as Highway Semi Truck sized based on the MHQ sculpt, and the Rotunda Spy Tank Car also works well as a good indicator of civilian vehicle scale, in my opinion. So, based off that, and the preferred scale I want to use, they fit as road-worthy, if pushing the boundaries a little tightly.

The MASH, Long Tom, and J-27 cabs look appropriately scaled for civilian scale width at 1/285, because they do come out at 8 mm wide. But, when compared to even the smaller 8 mm infantry I have from Heavy Gear Armada, and especially looking at the drastic difference between them and the MHQ, Striker, Thor and Rotunda, they are either solo operator, or they're more euro/asian in vehicular scale. However, the J-27's cab is very short, as a mini, and makes me wonder where the space is for the power source that allows it to move.

I'm just talking minis, here, by the way.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 24 February 2018, 15:29:50 »
I fully reject MWO's scale-bloat.

Regarding the example from what we had years ago, it clearly represents the height of a Liao soldier at ~5' tall, vs a "2m-tall" Steiner:
More accurately:
Mechs (height)
Light => Commando (25 ton) = 26 feet tall
Medium => Enforcer (50 ton) = 33 feet tall
Heavy => Grashopper (70 ton) = 38 feet tall
Assault => Banshee (95 ton) = 42 feet tall
« Last Edit: 24 February 2018, 15:34:43 by Hythos »
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Koniving

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 30 August 2019, 17:30:49 »
Its worth noting, that the first author of Battletech also drew this scaled image.

Which is slightly smaller than this scaled 9.63 meter tall SHK based on the Dougram's canonical height upon which the SHK was based.

So 9.55 doesn't seem like a stretch, but remember that it was a scout vehicle, and the one depicted both appears to be old (possibly even shk1), and that the SHK 5 series is 2 meters taller than the SHK 2.
SHK 3 is just a modified 2 frame so it isn't much bigger if at all.

An older model of Shadowhawk, which is a long range reconissance mech first and foremost, is hardly a judgement for scale.
However, the original blueprint of the Warhammer (google it) comes out to the 'Mech being
36.875 feet or 11.2395 meters excluding "orientation beacon lights" with the highest point being the vertical missile launcher.  (Note the 12.6 meter tall Timber Wolf of the Omnimech scale is measured to the highest point of the launcher, and all mechs on that scale are measured to the highest point regardless of what it is, short of antennae).
Note:  Despite it saying that the image is 1/20 scale, printed at 50% size (1/40) comes out to a very different thing as the pilot comes out to barely more than 4 feet, but the measuring scale provided telling us what 5 feet is happens to be the same size as the girl..  So its 1/20 scale is bullshit.  It might be to scale, but its scale is not 1/20.
Scale determined by taking a measurement of the printed measuring scale of X = 5 feet, establishing what = 5 feet, measuring the mech, and then plugging that into a ratio calculator to get the total feet.

The Wasp blueprint (after comparing the different pilot whom is the exact same height as the previous female pilot at 5 feet flat) is 37.1875 feet tall or 11.33475 meters tall.

Note that the blueprints have most of the original mechs from Macross, and that their heights vary quite a bit and appear to have not been coordinated, as the Locust towers above the Warhammer drastically and the macross height of the Warhammer towers over the Warhammer, so it isn't based on that. (in an original measurement based on the "scale", the Marauder's male pilot was 4'8" and the mech came out to over 16 meters tall which is beyond canonical heights.  Corrected it'd easily be well over 18 meters tall.. which is still non-canon.  So the original blueprints should not be considered as factual.
The remade Battlemaster blueprint, though, is at the exact same height (on printed engineering paper) as the original.  So take that as you will.

Mechs do vary in size with the Hollander's height at nearly over 14 meters if standing straight (note the legs, and the fact that it never stands straight; the legs are to absorb the recoil of the Gauss Rifle; a weapon that typically can't be handled by lights and the Hunchback falls over when using), the Wolverine around 11.5 meters, the squat-legged Catapult around 9 meters, the Stilt-legged catapult at around 11-12 meters (look up Catapult and you'll see the two variations; one is for low level terrain and the other is for mountainous and canyon terrain)., meanwhile the Hunchback is noted to being one of the shortest medium mechs to exist though the Nova at 8.3 meters is noted to be shorter than the Hunchback, while the Centurion if ever seen next to the Hunchback is usually described as around 10 to 11 meters tall.

So the SHK at 9.55, while it seems short, seems to be a modest lower-middle ground.

No mech in Battletech is as tall as a gundam from the Universal Century timeline according to the Battletech Battlemech Manual's 7 to 16 meter scale (which I think is to include the Firefly which was once described as just under the height of two semi-trailers stacked, which two 13 foot semi trailers stacked would be 7.9248 meters.  And I was told once that the Locust was described as about 7 meters in an audiobook of one of the earlier Battletech titles, which also featured the Martell model 5 medium laser as a 6cm red beam laser.)

So mechs are smaller than depicted in here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJBT74plP6A
or here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kEuNfbTWc
(Though those Guntanks are within Battletech scale-sizes, however as far as I know, nothing was taller than the Executioner Omnimech during the Clan War, so while the Guntanks are 15.6 meters tall, the Executioner is 14.4 meters tall, and thus the tallest, scariest thing during the Clan invasion is dwarfed by one of Gundam's most pathetic mechanized mobile weapons; however in terms of firepower Battletech's mechs scary fusion reactors of similar power outputs to gundams, if the power needs of Battletech's large lasers are any indication).
and can be about 1 meter smaller than the Ingram depicted in scenes such as this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xybWsAk5oVk

Koniving

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 30 August 2019, 17:41:36 »
Also worth noting since I saw it..
The Atlas so far as I have ever seen, has never been described as more than 15 meters by what FASA calls unreliable narrators in the Sommerset Companion, and at the smallest has been described as "shy of 14 meters".

The Atlas when seen in the MW3 intro is roughly but probably less than 2 meters taller than the Timber Wolf.
At exactly 2 meters taller, it'd be 14.6 meters.
in the MW2 depictions, the Atlas is closer to the high end of 13 meters.

And there are mechs that tower over the Atlas that still need to be within the max height (16 meters) established by the 2018 battletech battlemech manual.

Furthermore, the Atlas is described as "so compact that it cannot fit a proper 20 tube missile launcher" and instead has a hip mounted 5 tube rapid-reloading LRM launcher to make its LRM-20. (TRO 3025 and revised, TRO 3052 where it is referenced that they had to take out the SRM-6 in order to fit a proper 20 tube launcher split between the left and right chest).
As such, the Atlas despite having slots free has no free space, meaning this thing is small as most other 100 ton mechs lack this detail... also the Dire Wolf is only 12.3 meters tall.

So I would put the Atlas at around 13.5 to a generous 13.8

Register