Author Topic: Would the WoB take revenge  (Read 3540 times)

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Would the WoB take revenge
« on: 28 May 2017, 01:45:49 »
If a small mercenary or house unit interfered with the plans of the WoB, say destroying a small special forces type unit would the WoB take revenge on said unit? 

If so how would the WoB exact their revenge?

Thanks and have a fantastic day!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: Would the WoB take revenge
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2017, 02:24:26 »
A most definite yes. A small unit might be taken in a non-public manner such as assassination r destruction of JumpShip while it is travelling between worlds. Most likely, it would be a false flag operation or they would use one of their own merc units as a proxy.

See: Destruction of Outreach and the near total dismantling of the Wolf's Dragoons and its AMC allies.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2017, 02:59:33 »
A most definite yes. A small unit might be taken in a non-public manner such as assassination r destruction of JumpShip while it is travelling between worlds. Most likely, it would be a false flag operation or they would use one of their own merc units as a proxy.

See: Destruction of Outreach and the near total dismantling of the Wolf's Dragoons and its AMC allies.

So the little unit should expect to be engaged by a proxy merc unit, this unit in particular already has nearly destroyed two other small units whose survivors likely bear a grudge against them? 

As for destruction of a jumpship would that be done via dropship/warship or suicide bomber/planted bomb?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2017, 03:49:41 »
The WoB seemed to prefer underhanded tactics. Don't expect an open battle or even a fighting chance. A small mercenary unit earning the WoB's wrath would end up killed dead by means of poison, sabotage and treachery, and their equipment stolen or booby-trapped for their allies. Basically, unless you can slip under the cover of the AMC or ARDC then you don't openly oppose the Word. They've made it crystal clear that to oppose them means to die.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2017, 04:29:37 »
On the other hand, Avanti's Angels messed with the WoB's plans in the Periphery and the WoB pretty much ignored them until the Angels started to take contracts in the Protectorate area after the Jihad kicked off, and even then it seemed to be more of "We're attacking a hostile military unit," rather than "Rawr, kill these guys!"

It might also depend on who the destroyed SF unit was exactly. Apollyon might not care if it was frails, while an attack on the MD might result in murderous and overt aggression.

If it was a WoB Militia unit, or a ROM unit, Cameron St. Jamais might take it personally, or might just consider it a cost of being in the war, rather than "I must dedicate a Division to hunt down some mercenaries that beat us."

Then again, maybe nothing militarily will happen, but your next contract takes you to the Davion Outback where you find yourself right in the path of some ticked-off Snow Ravens.

Or they might be unlucky enough to be jumping through a system where the WoB has a couple of Q-ships lying around.

It all just sort of...depends.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2017, 05:29:58 »
On the other hand, Avanti's Angels messed with the WoB's plans in the Periphery and the WoB pretty much ignored them until the Angels started to take contracts in the Protectorate area after the Jihad kicked off, and even then it seemed to be more of "We're attacking a hostile military unit," rather than "Rawr, kill these guys!"

Actually MSU (p26) clearly states that the Blakists struck at Avanti's Angels while they were still on Joppa while under contract to the Magistracy.  It is even stated that complicity by Magistracy official with the attackers forced the under to break their contract.  It was after this attack on Joppa that the unit returned to the Chaos March/Protectorate area and would be forced to weather further Blakist attacks.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2017, 05:42:31 »
Wasn't Avanti's Angels on the hitlist of Precentor Beric and his Opacus Venatori themselves?! Thats practically unwanted WOB attention of the highest order!

Think of the most underhanded, soul crushing TPK conceivable, think Lannister, think "we always pay our debts"... and you're probably 80% of the way to a Blakist revenge plan. That being said, is this for a campaign? You don't want to throw your players into the blender for the sake of being utterly WOBlike, surely...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2017, 10:00:53 »
You don't want to throw your players into the blender for the sake of being utterly WOBlike, surely...

I do, and they love it! I let them play my AU clan, Iron Dolphin. They get to fight Society and MD demons on a regular basis. Next assignment has them fighting the Word for more information on where the Inner Sphere is located. (The clan lost the tech info to go back. )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2017, 13:53:54 »
Actually MSU (p26) clearly states that the Blakists struck at Avanti's Angels while they were still on Joppa while under contract to the Magistracy.  It is even stated that complicity by Magistracy official with the attackers forced the under to break their contract.  It was after this attack on Joppa that the unit returned to the Chaos March/Protectorate area and would be forced to weather further Blakist attacks.

Sure, but that could've been part of the general harassment of the Magistracy, rather than directed at the Angels themselves. We know little of the fighting in the Magistracy, but the writeup for the 34th Division states "ROM forces had already crippled local interstellar communications and unleashed numerous minor forces and free agents against the unsuspecting population," so the attack on Joppa and the Angels could've been part of these actions, rather than a dedicated assault on the Angels. Its not like the WoB hit them with a Division, or nukes, or a bioweapon. So yeah.

They had been hit by the WoB, but I'm not sold on it being a dedicated hit against the Angels, rather than it being part of the general harassment of the Magistracy in the early years of the jihad (dedicated forces didn't seem to move into the Magistracy area until later on).

Wasn't Avanti's Angels on the hitlist of Precentor Beric and his Opacus Venatori themselves?! Thats practically unwanted WOB attention of the highest order!

During the novel in which the Angels feature, they went up against St. Jamais in the Periphery and messed up his plans to increase the WoB's power in the area. Merc Supplemental Update says that there are rumors St. Jamais has a grudge against them, but that the appearance of the grudge could also be because of the unit's ties to the AMC.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2017, 15:17:40 »
If so how would the WoB exact their revenge?

In the...

Periphery -- Bandits on the Blakie payroll

Chaos March -- Mercs on the Blakie payroll

Successor States -- Covert ROM or MD assassination or false flag raid

Terran System or The Five -- Orbital bombardment or WMD disguised as natural accident

FWIW...
« Last Edit: 28 May 2017, 15:23:18 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2017, 20:39:15 »
Sure, but that could've been part of the general harassment of the Magistracy, rather than directed at the Angels themselves. We know little of the fighting in the Magistracy, but the writeup for the 34th Division states "ROM forces had already crippled local interstellar communications and unleashed numerous minor forces and free agents against the unsuspecting population," so the attack on Joppa and the Angels could've been part of these actions, rather than a dedicated assault on the Angels. Its not like the WoB hit them with a Division, or nukes, or a bioweapon. So yeah.

They had been hit by the WoB, but I'm not sold on it being a dedicated hit against the Angels, rather than it being part of the general harassment of the Magistracy in the early years of the jihad (dedicated forces didn't seem to move into the Magistracy area until later on).

MSU clearly states that that the WoB "struck at the Angels as part of their pogrom to scourge the AMC."  What isn't clear is whether they struck at Avanti's Angels only because they joined the AMC or whether St. Jamais' personal grudge played a part as well.  Further reinforcing the idea that it was a directed strike rather than simply general harassment was the complicity by local Magistracy officials.  If it was general harassment then there would have been no need for any intrigue.  You go in, do as much damage as you can and leave chaos in your wake.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2017, 18:13:31 »
I think the answer heavily depends on the circumstances. If the mercenary unit that opposed the WoB team did so as a part of a contract and did not go on a Wobby-killing crusade, then it is possible that merc unit will simply be added to a "kill-on-a-oppurtunity" list. In the end, in BTU such things happen mundanely and even the WoB should not have very hard feelings. On the other hand, if the eliminated special team were Manei Domini, then the revenge is possible. As for the way the revenge will be exerted, it would probably be something sly as sabotage or assassination or the actions of some proxy. If your mercs are not a primary military target or a subject of an intense grudge, they should not become a target of a dedicated military action. Of course, unless WoB kills two birds with one stone by eliminating your unit with a direct assault and achieving some other military goal at the same time.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2017, 14:23:21 »
I do, and they love it! I let them play my AU clan, Iron Dolphin. They get to fight Society and MD demons on a regular basis. Next assignment has them fighting the Word for more information on where the Inner Sphere is located. (The clan lost the tech info to go back. )

TT
My impression of being utterly WOBlike is more "rocks fall, everybody dies" really... but I'd accept 3-to-1 odds if any player can stomach that  >:D

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2017, 21:44:03 »
Do the players have their own Jumpship, or do they rent?

Have the WoB put crew onto the Jumpship, give the PCs a mission to explore X uninhabited rock for Lostech, then take the Jumpship.  Leave the PCs (and rest of the unit) to die of old age.

Hope the PCs can find an HPG in the ruins, or someone stops by in-system.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2017, 03:30:07 »
Do the players have their own Jumpship, or do they rent?

Have the WoB put crew onto the Jumpship, give the PCs a mission to explore X uninhabited rock for Lostech, then take the Jumpship.  Leave the PCs (and rest of the unit) to die of old age.

Hope the PCs can find an HPG in the ruins, or someone stops by in-system.

They rent, but they do not take exploration contracts.  It would be a nice move on WoB's part though.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2017, 18:31:20 »
They rent, but they do not take exploration contracts.  It would be a nice move on WoB's part though.

Do they take Raids or Pirate Hunting missions?  Just fudge the coordinates a bit, or find evidence of pirates on a planet (the pirates are long-gone), and send the PCs on the mission.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2017, 08:45:31 »
No, better idea is to have the Pirate hunting gone bad.

Intel said there be Pirates here, there was. What Intel forgot was there was a Batlion using not old mechs, but off the line front quality mechs from a  unknown benefactor!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2017, 18:22:16 »
The Word of Blake does not hold a grudge so much as it does caress it, pet it, feed it, pose it just right, paint it up carefully, set it on the mantlepiece, and stare lovingly into its eyes whispering "soooooon..."
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register