Author Topic: Sand Hornet Light Battlemech.  (Read 1005 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Sand Hornet Light Battlemech.
« on: 08 June 2017, 00:00:40 »
Sand Hornet SN-1HT
IS Introductory Box Set
25 tons 
BV: 553
Cost: 1,976,875 C-bills

The Sand Hornet was developed in the aftermath of the Reunification War as a light weight, low cost general service battlemech targeted towards the Periphery Market. The war saw the destruction of most of the Periphery's military power, and while many within the SLDF might have preferred the periphery states completely disarmed, allowing them to retain some measure of military capabilities was one of many carrots extended to the League's newest, mostly unwilling members. Even so, the League hoped to keep such recent enemies at least somewhat in check.

The Sand Hornet was thus built to be able to handle most roles a small peacetime military could expect to face, while also being weak enough so as to not present much of a threat to the SLDF in the event of a general uprising. By design the Sand Hornet is essentially an enlarged Wasp, featuring heavier armor and weaponry while retaining the same mobility of its predecessor. It's generalist mindset is reflected in its weaponry, designed to be able to engage targets at all ranges with at least some proficiency, though this armament is far better suited to chasing off raiders using light equipment than joining the battle line. Anti-personnel weaponry was lacking, though the laser array was deemed entirely adequate for dealing with small insurgent groups or scattering protestors.

However, while the design was a capable alternative to such classic "Bug Mechs" as the Wasp and Locust, it was rejected for service by every Periphery Power, who regarded the lightweight generalist as a blatant attempt to restrict their own military power and through that, their independence. Ironically, those same periphery powers would become increasingly dependent on even lighter and weaker designs during the succession wars.

The designs for the Sand Hornet remained in limbo until the mid 28th century, when Stephan Amaris had the design put into production to supplement the Secret Army. Thousands of Sand Hornets would see action during the subsequent Periphery Uprising, where they served primarily as scouts or command mechs for groups of Locusts, Stingers, or Wasps. Most, if not all, of these would be destroyed during the fighting. The Sand Hornet would also see action during the SLDF invasion of the Rim Worlds Republic, where it fared little better than the rest of the badly outnumbered Rim Worlds Army. League forces were able to take the factory intact, and Kerensky ordered it to continue production at full capacity, with hundreds more built for the use of the SLDF. As many as two hundred survived the war to accompany the exodus. Following the Lyran invasion of the Rim Worlds and its subsequent collapse, the factory was inherited by the short lived Finmark Free Republic, which relied on the Sand Hornet as a key element of its military forces. A brutal strike by the Lyran Commonwealth in 2792 eliminated the factory, Finmark's army, and Finmark itself in a barrage of nuclear fire.

Today, the design is all but extinct, the sole example known to exist is an heirloom recovered from an old Rim Worlds cache by the Knights of Randis in the near periphery.

Movement: 6/9/6
Engine: 150
Heat Sinks: 10
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 43
Armor: 64/89
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Head                        3        7
Center Torso                8        9
Center Torso (rear)                  2
Right Torso                 6        7
Right Torso (rear)                   2
Left Torso                  6        7
Left Torso (rear)                    2
Right Arm                   4        6
Left Arm                    4        6
Right Leg                   6        8
Left Leg                    6        8

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Medium Laser                    LA     3
Small Laser                     LA     1
Small Laser                     LA     1
LRM 5                           RA     2

Ammo                           Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
LRM 5 Ammo                      RA    24
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Sand Hornet Light Battlemech.
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2017, 00:18:58 »
So was the "Hornet" section a callout indicating it was developed from the Hornet? Because it's pretty much the same thing, albeit slightly heavier & faster. I'd have pitched it as an upgrade to make that disparaged 'Mech more useful outside cities. What appealed to you to give it bug DNA? ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2017, 01:04:44 »
I was originally looking for the name of a larger Wasp, but Cicada Killer seemed inellegant, Sand Hornet is a name sometimes used for Cicada Killers.

My primary goal was something useful for periphery powers after the reunification war, which is a bit early for the Hornet. The Wasp is basically built everywhere, and is the most user friendly of the classic bugs, so that seemed like a good fit. I was tempted to include a bit where the Sand Hornet's design was the inspiration for giving two hands to the Wasp, but that might have turned into a bit of a tangent I'm saving for elsewhere.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2017, 13:55:32 »
As much as the art has grown on me, I always felt the original Hornet would have been better served as another Bug (ie Wasp/Stinger) variant, rather than something akin to a mini-Urbie.

The design itself isn't bad at all, and would easily work as a generalist trooper. Heck, it could also have been the inspiration behind the Super Wasp - the physical differences could be explained as having no extant examples of the original to work with.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register