Author Topic: 2nd Succession Wars Spoilers: The Minnesota REDACTED  (Read 23119 times)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: 2nd Succession Wars Spoilers: The Minnesota REDACTED
« Reply #30 on: 24 June 2017, 12:19:40 »
Mod request: please split off these Wolverine discussions into their own topic. Thanks.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 24 June 2017, 13:24:11 »
Welcome to our shiny new Minnesota Tribe thread!

If you happen to see any Wolverines (or Minnesotans, for that matter) still skulking about the 2nd Succession Wars thread, flag it for transfer over here.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 24 June 2017, 13:27:52 »
Do we get a bloodname if we find one?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 24 June 2017, 13:33:15 »
Yes!

But you have to collect it in-person at the Clan Wolverine Genetic Repository on Strana Mechty AND you have to bring your own shovel and hazmat suit. 

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 24 June 2017, 14:08:14 »
I'm waiting for my local store to get a copy so i can join the discussion.   :(

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 24 June 2017, 16:22:14 »
Your going to be waiting a long time, the book is GenCon only for the moment.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #36 on: 24 June 2017, 16:27:48 »
I don't have the newest book, so it's harder for me to weigh in on just exactly how I might feel about it, but I think I can weigh in on principle.

I fear the idea that there is no answer at all, and not just there isn't one that will be known.  For some things, like Stone, it doesn't really matter.  Or, it wouldn't matter in this case if it wasn't repeatedly brought to the fore.  And in any of the other cases, for example if now that Stone is "back" if there kept being hints about who he really was (he's the REAL Fredrick Steiner!), or if it seems that it might become important (in ilClan, perhaps) then it would be important that, at least behind the sceans, there was a known answer.

In universe, after all, the truth must in fact be out there.  Something, or several paralell things, did (or did not) take place.  So, logically, hints should tend to be consistant, because they're all coming from the same 'truth' even if that truth never becomes known to people in or out of universe.

But, if the truth isn't really out there, and difrent authors (or line devlopers, mind you, though don't think I don't wish the present crew a long and fruitful tenure) might not be constrained to make their hints consistant. 

Now, I get that even in real life contradictory information can exist.   What was Brutis' true motovation in killing Ceaser?  Did Alexander of Macedon really just get sick, or was it poison?  Did Hellen really want to leave with Paris, or would she rather have stayed with Menilaus? (or insert your own non Greeco-Roman example, but I figured events from 2-3 thousand years ago would be less politically charged).  But, the broad outlines are generally understood (and more so for events only a few centuries old which I won't bring up) and the discussion can often come down to much finer distinctions.

In this case, I question an attempt to deliberately muddy the waters, because one questions weather there would be that much dispute.  Granted, the idea of the Tribe as Clan scouts isn't new, as it was floated with the Jenner IIC fluff decades ago.  But, I feel like with deceades of in and out of universe devlopment since then, with several sorces noting that in the post Clan and especally post Jihad universe it is a much bigger topic for study, the idea of so contridictory a position being floated seems... out there.  Though of course, I suppose one who wanted could always just put it down to propoganda, perhaps by the Wolverines themselves.

In the end, the main point isn't that I want things resolved, or that I can about the resolution, but more than I would hope that there is a sense of consistancy, even if it's consistantly inconsistant, that there is consistantly little evidance or that it is systematicly being covered up, and that in the back of someone's mind, be it a Randel or a Loren or a Ray or whomever else I don't know to name, there is some sense of where this is going, let is just go in a spiral.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Legatus

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 24 June 2017, 18:31:16 »
At this point, I do not think I really care anymore whether or not they ever answer it.  This thing has been teased, repeated, and contradicted so much that it almost feels like TPTB are trolling the fan base with it.  I like some mysteries in the universe -  they add spice to it.  That said, this constant revision, cover-up, conspiracy theory approach has really diminished my interest in the universe.  I have not played the game seriously for MANY years, but I still enjoyed the plotline and scourcebooks, and spent my discretionary dollars accordingly.  But then something changed.  For me, it started with all the vagueness about the Jihad; yes, we finally got some answers, but trying to figure out what was "true" and what was BS made it less interesting to me.  Then came all the ISP books and their canonical uncertainty.  By then I had quit buying supplements on a regular basis.  And isn't that ultimatelywhat the goal is?  To drive interest and sell products?  It is like the constant delay getting ilClan published, or moving the storyline ahead.  They will get to it when they get to it.  And in the meantime, my interest has ebbed to the point where I will get to it when I get to it... in other words, when I am bored enough every couple of years or so and want to see if they have put out anything new or interesting and might consider investing a few more dollars.  I understand tastes may vary and some people like this approach, but for me it has had the opposite effect.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #38 on: 24 June 2017, 19:38:14 »

I think that it would be healthier for the universe to solve some old mysteries and get some new ones.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 24 June 2017, 20:39:30 »
On, "who cares" about the reveal, beyond anything else, it can, especially if it's a big reveal, make later products less useful as things diverge from your own campaign. 

Which of coures, depends on the reveal. "Minnesota tribe moved to a small periphery cluster, where they fort up in preparation for the clans" wouldn't have nearly as much an effect as REVEALED! tHE MINNESOTA NAVY UNLEASHES ITS 500 BATTLESHIPS ON THE INNER SPHERE!

So I don't mind mysteries, so long as the PTB understand that a reveal, especially if it's a really big deal, can make thigns difficult for players, unless you handle it correctly.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #40 on: 24 June 2017, 22:59:19 »
Bah.  This was perhaps a mistake, highlighting the mystery like this, but its a legend by now.  It simply had to be brought up because of the date it happened.

At this point, I do not think I really care anymore whether or not they ever answer it.  This thing has been teased, repeated, and contradicted so much that it almost feels like TPTB are trolling the fan base with it.  I like some mysteries in the universe -  they add spice to it.  That said, this constant revision, cover-up, conspiracy theory approach has really diminished my interest in the universe.  I have not played the game seriously for MANY years, but I still enjoyed the plotline and scourcebooks, and spent my discretionary dollars accordingly.  But then something changed.  For me, it started with all the vagueness about the Jihad; yes, we finally got some answers, but trying to figure out what was "true" and what was BS made it less interesting to me.  Then came all the ISP books and their canonical uncertainty.  By then I had quit buying supplements on a regular basis.  And isn't that ultimatelywhat the goal is?  To drive interest and sell products?  It is like the constant delay getting ilClan published, or moving the storyline ahead.  They will get to it when they get to it.  And in the meantime, my interest has ebbed to the point where I will get to it when I get to it... in other words, when I am bored enough every couple of years or so and want to see if they have put out anything new or interesting and might consider investing a few more dollars.  I understand tastes may vary and some people like this approach, but for me it has had the opposite effect.

Amen, brother.  I just wish we could see the end of the ISP rumor-oriented trash and go back to a 3rd person, factual books.  They felt more real to me.

I think that it would be healthier for the universe to solve some old mysteries and get some new ones.

Yup.  Write it off as C* screwing around, deserters, survivors, whatever.  Let it die already.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #41 on: 25 June 2017, 09:15:18 »
Bah.  This was perhaps a mistake, highlighting the mystery like this, but its a legend by now.  It simply had to be brought up because of the date it happened.

Amen, brother.  I just wish we could see the end of the ISP rumor-oriented trash and go back to a 3rd person, factual books.  They felt more real to me.

Yup.  Write it off as C* screwing around, deserters, survivors, whatever.  Let it die already.

See...I think ISP3 is one of the greatest sourcebooks ever written... ;D

I don't want to go back to the Jihad level of rumors, but the ISP books do flesh out some of the interesting, but less important characters/groups: the Bounty Hunter, Jarnfolk, etcetera, and personally I like that...

[EDIT: Hit post too soon, my phone does not like this forum for some reason... ::) ]
« Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 09:19:25 by YingJanshi »

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #42 on: 25 June 2017, 09:29:24 »
WEll, imho the Minnosota tribe has been somewhat of a running gag of BT lately.

It was quite interesting for some time, but now it is boring.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 25 June 2017, 09:48:20 »
The TPTB can resolve the Wolverine mystery for the players.  We forget that it is meta information to us and still very much unknown to those in the universe.   So the Wolverines could have easily died off in some remote system and nobody would know or be the wiser in universe, yet we as the players can still speculate and make up our own non-canon stories about the boogiemen of the clans.

That's a possible outcome.   

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #44 on: 25 June 2017, 10:34:43 »
This is out?
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 25 June 2017, 10:36:41 »
This is out?

Yes, if you were fortunate enough to pick up one of the very limited number of copies available at Origins.

For most of us: No it's not out yet.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #46 on: 25 June 2017, 11:28:30 »
Yes, if you were fortunate enough to pick up one of the very limited number of copies available at Origins.

For most of us: No it's not out yet.

ah thanks here was me thinking I'd get a new pdf  :D
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 25 June 2017, 11:50:18 »
I suspect (but have no way of knowing) that the .pdf could have already been made available had CGL just pulled the trigger and distributed to DriveThru and their own download store.  But I suspect the reason they haven't yet done so is some logistical problem cropped up for getting more real book copies into the pipeline, and they don't want to release the .pdf until the real book is ready to go onto shelves.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #48 on: 25 June 2017, 12:32:43 »
I am one of the many people who loved the Minnesota Tribe story and would have liked to see it properly fleshed out. 

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #49 on: 25 June 2017, 12:50:49 »
[copper] Alright friends, we all come here with different opinions and views of the game and its supporting materials.  Lively discussion is encouraged, but we all need to be mindful not to step over the line into being outright derogatory about our descriptions of the game, its books, and the people who produce those books.  You are free to not like some parts of the game, but a lot of hard work and creativity goes into every facet, even the ones you don't care for.  [copper]

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 25 June 2017, 12:53:20 »
Meh, the Minnesota Tribe story would probably end like most other Minnesota stories...So much talent, and still unable to win the big one. 

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 25 June 2017, 12:56:35 »
Welcome to our shiny new Minnesota Tribe thread!

If you happen to see any Wolverines (or Minnesotans, for that matter) still skulking about the 2nd Succession Wars thread, flag it for transfer over here.

So I am not allowed on that thread anymore?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #52 on: 26 June 2017, 02:53:52 »
CGL regarding the redaction of the Mini-minnesotan's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HZAReul9IQ

They know what they did.  THEY KNOW!!! :p
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Re: 2nd Succession Wars Spoilers
« Reply #53 on: 26 June 2017, 07:41:09 »
whether Kerensky turned left or right when he left the parking lot after telling the House Lords that he was moving out? 

Now I must know!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 26 June 2017, 09:22:03 »
Meh, the Minnesota Tribe story would probably end like most other Minnesota stories...So much talent, and still unable to win the big one.

I see what you did there. 

:(

(Being from Fargo, and born and raised in ND, definitely feel the pain of MN sports team fandom - hopefully they end up being then 91  Twins and not the 97-98 Vikings. ;) )

More seriously now, I'm in the camp of wanting an answer.  But I like to have mysteries laid out, even if it's just "Here's the two or three possibilities we operate from - they're not mutually exclusive in regards to future events or past ones, but we'll never contradict any of them from here on out either."  I just think it makes for richer storytelling. 

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #55 on: 26 June 2017, 12:43:12 »
91  Twins
We need Hrbek to be a Wolverine bloodname so there can be a battle reference involving dishonorable physical combat with someone named Gant.

CDT Special Agent #343

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 26 June 2017, 14:14:11 »
We need Hrbek to be a Wolverine bloodname so there can be a battle reference involving dishonorable physical combat with someone named Gant.

BRILLIANT!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #57 on: 13 July 2017, 14:53:32 »
I'm waiting for my local store to get a copy so i can join the discussion.   :(

Same here. When do we see dead tree format?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 13 July 2017, 15:34:27 »
Same here. When do we see dead tree format?

I don't know if the post is still around following the restoral but I'm pretty sure I remember AG saying that the DTF are actually all set and ready to go and it's getting the .pdf out the door is what's holding everything up.  Which is pretty much the opposite of what I'd have expected to be the case, but hey what do I know about publishing games :)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #59 on: 13 July 2017, 18:49:44 »
I believe that is the case, yes.  It sounds like CGL is just unusually swamped with convention season, Dragonfire, and the unfortunateness with the website.  They need the people who are doing all of the work right now to push the pdf and dtf books out, but they are busy doing all of that work. 

Usual caveat - that the Beamer next to my name means nothing when it comes to knowing about the actions going on behind the scenes - applies.  So everything I just typed may be completely incorrect.

Until then, we wait. 

Register