Author Topic: Geek Chic goes belly up..  (Read 2339 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Geek Chic goes belly up..
« on: 23 June 2017, 18:52:02 »
Not sure who here has heard, but the company that makes good to great gaming tables for us gamers, has declared bankruptcy..

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/19/15812486/geek-chic-out-of-business-game-tables
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Geek Chic goes belly up..
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2017, 19:08:01 »
I... can't imagine how any company would have considered $1400* gaming tables for a relatively small market would be a good idea.

*That is the low end model.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2017, 19:26:27 »
Don't ask me.  I built my gaming table from a sheet of heavy plywood some 2x4s and 4x4s with locking wheels on the bottom of the legs.  Also doubles as a workbench, cutting table, and woodworking table.  All for under $100.  I can't even imagine spending that much money on something like their product line.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2017, 20:20:45 »
Somehow I suspect the world will make do without cherrywood, cloth-finished, dice-bumper rimmed tables with individual character sheet drawers & more custom accessory rails than a survivalist's AR-15. I can't imagine there was anywhere near the market for this sort of thing that they thought there was.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2017, 20:21:49 »
I... can't imagine how any company would have considered $1400* gaming tables for a relatively small market would be a good idea.

Well, Carolina Game Tables, BoardGameTables.com, GEEKNSON, Rathskellers, and most recently Uniquely Geek are recent joins to the market with tables exceeding the $1400 price.  Those prices are in line with dedicated dining tables from Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen that are smaller and less functional.  My wife was willing to concede a dining room style game table just for that reason.  She is not willing to indulge on a dual use work table in the rec room, however.  So I'm sticking with my two 2.5' x 6' folding tables on bed risers.  Still don't have a dining room table though.

However, both of us were surprised to see a 10 station Sultan table listed with a base price $28K.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2017, 21:42:16 »
Saw them on Shark Tank, last year they had something like a million in revenue and -100K profit, don't know how long you can stay in business with numbers like that...

Anyway tried to get my CIO to buy one to replace a conference room table (he's an avid D&D player) though his quote was "no dice" don't know if he was quoting Fast Times at Ridgemont High or playing for a pun...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2017, 21:42:50 »
$28K?? Wow... Carolina's "Tablezilla" can potentially seat 12, and isn't anywhere near that much...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2017, 23:20:20 »

Yea.  I've seen their booths for a few years now, at origins and gencon, and can't understand how anyone can blow that lot on just a table, when you could probably get a great dining table AND 6 chair set for half that price..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 00:21:16 »
Well, Carolina Game Tables, BoardGameTables.com, GEEKNSON, Rathskellers, and most recently Uniquely Geek are recent joins to the market with tables exceeding the $1400 price.
So not only is the market nonexistantly small, there's five four separate providers for said microscopic order base.  Good job!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 03:00:23 »
Yea.  I've seen their booths for a few years now, at origins and gencon, and can't understand how anyone can blow that lot on just a table, when you could probably get a great dining table AND 6 chair set for half that price..
And good number of BattleTech books, PDFs, and miniatures to go with it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2017, 08:48:15 »
The company seemed to be doing ok for years, until they bought a game company that was in financial troubles without looking too hard at their books.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2017, 10:52:46 »
The company seemed to be doing ok for years, until they bought a game company that was in financial troubles without looking too hard at their books.
Okay that makes more sense. Never absorb another company without looking it through. I mean it's always risky doing that because you're absorbing their debts and any possible money sink as well.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!