Author Topic: Robots?!?  (Read 3077 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Robots?!?
« on: 24 June 2017, 11:46:17 »
The planet of Mizar has robotic bartenders. Apparently chatty ones.

I don't think I've ever noticed any other mention of robots in Battletech. Not semi-android ones.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Robots?!?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 12:01:42 »
Well, there's the robotic components of the SDS systems, and the robotic drones utilized by the word of blake and also appearing in Necromo Nightmare.

Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 12:08:49 »
There's also those security robots and agricultural robots from the 1st edition of MechWarrior RPG.

(And I wanna say the Kell Hounds or Gray Death Legion scenario book had a MechWarrior scenario that featured security robots as well...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 12:12:25 »
I know I shouldn't be surprised because the base setting of the game is, "Giant Robots" but.. I'm surprised.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 12:17:08 »
You're surprised there aren't more around? or you're surprised there were this many already?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 12:41:16 »
Well... I've spent pretty much my whole life playing battletech... and game mastering for battletech... and reading battletech novels...

But i've never come across robots before...

And so now they are a thing that exists.

I feel like I've gone through my whole life not knowing that cats existed.

"Hey cats are a thing. Also.. there is one in the room with you right now."

I spent the morning thinking it's weird Ato2 doesn't have riggers because there are drones in 3026... and now there are robots.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 13:14:52 »
They aren't anywhere near as common as cats. It's not like Star Wars where R2 and C3P0 are at first sight, rather unremarkable to a stranger. It's not terminator, where the robots are the antagonists. (barring Necromo Nightmare). One of battletech's chief strengths, one of the things that makes it stand out from the rest of sci-fi is how tightly focused on humans, and humans fighting humans it is.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2017, 17:09:33 »
  Battletech has robots but I don't think they have artificial intelligence.  It's one thing to have fairly complex scripts for security bots and 'chatty' (think Cleverbot) artificial bartenders but it's entirely another thing to have something that mimics human intelligence.  There are a lot of challenges to building true artificial intelligence that mimics the analogue transmissions of the 100 billion neurons connected by 100 trillion synapses that make up our brains.  The challenge wouldn't be just in simply matching the processing power of the human brain but in emulating its complex architecture.

So even if Battletech has robots far in advance of anything we have today they could still be lightyears away from sentient AI capable of emulating biological intelligence.  Think ED-209 rather than Data from Star Trek :D.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

J.R.R Tolikien, The Two Towers

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 22:03:47 »
Indeed. The BattleTech universe has no sapient robots; the Caspar network was close, but really was more of a complex and adaptive tactical combat program than anything that was self-aware (as evidence by the fact that all Amaris needed to do to compromise the entire network was key in a new series of commands).

The smaller robots of the BT universe have typically been simpler, single-job machines that probably looked like Star Wars droids, but were nowhere near as creative. The Kell Hounds Adventure with a security bot basically was a track-based drone that stood about human height and mainly just chased down and fired at anything it recognized as an intruder. The larger Agribots mentioned in the first edition MechWarrior rules were basically automated WorkMechs and/or vehicles. The bartender bots on Mizar are likely just glorified vending machines.

The thing about robots is that they'd be high end tech (Think Tech Rating C or higher), and you'd see very few worlds that had any in abundance in the wake of the Star League's collapse. What worlds do have them would mainly be those that could afford such luxuries AND had a local tech base capable of maintaining them. Planets that regressed to 20th century levels wouldn't see many bots at all, except maybe in the homes of the highest ranked local nobility and corporate/political leaders. Worlds with no industrial base to speak of--where people travel to work on horseback--probably have none at all.

And, of course, military-grade robots are basically drones.

Hope that helps.

- Herb

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 23:50:41 »
Well, apparently the Widow trashed some combat droids, at some time or another.  Maybe they were a secret Star League black project that was forgotten and lay dormant until the Black Widows stumbled upon them and caused them to activate.  Too bad she didn't leave enough left to examine and reverse-engineer the technology  8):

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2017, 00:08:25 »
That's why you don't go fishing around old star leage Lostech vaults. Robots.

I appreciate your input on this universe shaking development for me Herb.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2017, 08:21:41 »
(And I wanna say the Kell Hounds or Gray Death Legion scenario book had a MechWarrior scenario that featured security robots as well...)

It's the Kell Hounds.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2017, 18:56:46 »
The bartender bots on Mizar are likely just glorified vending machines.
I'm envisioning something like the bartender bot from The Fifth Element: Something vaguely humanoid with a soda gun.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2017, 23:12:03 »
When writing Lawyers, Guns and Money, I took the concept of a security bot from the old MechWarrior 1st Ed rulebook for the conflict setup fluff-text on pages 3-4. Admittedly though, I envisioned it to be more like the security robot/drone from the Aliens movie: basically a box with ammo, gun, and a smart-ish motion sensor that would track and fire on anything that crossed its path, rather than the 6 ton, two small laser hover-bot described on p50 of the MW 1st Ed rulebook.
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2017, 00:54:48 »
Like a beefed up....
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2017, 01:41:18 »
The way I see Robots in B-tech is that they are basically drones, controlled by a central computer. Basically the M5 Caspar's were robotic drones.  There are no autonomous robots in the BTech universe.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2017, 12:56:08 »
Yeah, almost exactly what I had in mind.  :)

Like a beefed up....

Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2017, 22:36:02 »
That's why you don't go fishing around old star leage Lostech vaults. Robots.

I appreciate your input on this universe shaking development for me Herb.

Don't you mean VaulTech?

^-^

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2017, 02:53:01 »
I'm envisioning something like the bartender bot from The Fifth Element: Something vaguely humanoid with a soda gun.

Or the robot vending machine and camera from macross.

If we want to get sued...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan