Author Topic: Clan Revival Trials, Mk II  (Read 1518 times)

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Clan Revival Trials, Mk II
« on: 22 July 2017, 16:09:32 »
I'm doing a campaign where the Clans have experienced heavier than expected opposition during Revival.  Sufficient that when they break for the election of a new Ilkhan after the death of Leo Showers, the Diamond Sharks are being activated to assist the Ghost Bears. 

This then means that there IS no Reserve Clan once the Invasion re-commences.

Thus, the remaining 10 Clans press for a new chance to become a Reserve Clan (and thereby possibly an Invading Clan).

I'm looking for ideas and/or feedback about how such a Trial would take place and be organized.  Note: I'm going with the idea that
1. The Cloud Cobra Khans again attempt to refuse to go into such a Trial.  However, they lose a Trial of Refusal from several prominent Crusader members and are thereby forced into the Trial.  The Khans sabotage the bidding a bit, making the Cloud Cobras a serious underdog (they'll have less BV than almost any other Clan entering).
2.  The Star Adders again - seeing that there would be an odd number - enter as an "op for" for the others, to make sure that everyone going is of best quality.  They also use it as a sort of impromptu Trial of Refusal, stating that if (somehow) they win, NO further Reserves will be issued.

The original Trials basically only had 3 rounds, as per the Turning Points book (which I have now read extensively for some prep).  With only 10 Clans, of which 1 is kinda/sorta Refusing and another is barely in only due to their rank and file successfully Refusing their Khans, is 3 rounds again realistic?  Or would there be time - in the background of the election - to have more fights? 

Also, approximately what size should said fights be?  I was figuring approx Trinary in size.  That's also manageable for play, happily. 

How would such a ... tournament?  score?  The Turning points book seems to indicate that it would require 2 losses for elimination.  However, with 10 Clans competing, I wonder if it would be either single elimination, or still double, or maybe a tally of overall wins/losses, or even a tally of victory points/conditions. 

The mini-campaign for this will be on megamek mostly, and I mostly have fairly keen/available players (still short 1 or 2), so the player participation is not an issue.  But from a meta-perspective, I do have to look at the possibility that a consistently losing player could just throw in the towel, so TOO many games is probably unwise. 

I'm also trying to figure a way to balance this while allowing for some of the Clan eccentricities and variety to occur.  Specifically, using Omnis (and allowing reconfigs) but also allowing some of the Clans to use vees (Hell's Horses, maybe Blood Spirit) or aero (Cobras, Snow Ravens).  One rule already would be aeros wouldn't get bombs (as it impacts BV after the fact). 

BV was the main way I was thinking, but if the players then can reconfig between battles, it means that some cheese could occur.  PV via the mul and the BASE model of the omni was another thought. 

Thoughts, suggestions, feedback?

Agent # 703

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
Re: Clan Revival Trials, Mk II
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2017, 15:40:29 »
I am doing something similar to you epic for my own House campaign. Different reasons and all but basically to determine after the Sharks who places where among the Clans for the honor of invasion. So I went back to the Revival Trials (as seen in the Turning Points series) to see whom did what.

Without explaining too much there were four Clans who had one at least a single Combat Trial before being double eliminated. By rite of battle the Blood Spirit, Coyote, Fire Mandrill, and Goliath Scorpion all qualified for what I call the Final Placement Trials.

Unfortunately Cloud Cobra and Star Adder dropped out in the bidding phase so they don't qualify.

Love to talk more but have to go.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2017, 17:10:46 »
All the rest of the Clans were ranked by their final results I thought so having new trials makes little sense . . . but any reason to politically divide the Crusaders Ulric would use IMO, so it works!

I think the Star Adder's plans might be re-evaluated since they now have hard data . . . they might try to be a reserve Clan but operate with the goal of gaining a OZ and resources/standing rather than winning the race- after all they are supposed to be good with operational planning.  Basically they would fight for the expected draw rather than a win like the Jags or Falcons.  It would be hard not to get involved with the amount of resources they see flowing back to the Homeworlds.

IMO the best Clans to get involved from a results standpoint would be the Coyotes, Adders and Horses . . . Coyotes would match up well against the Lyrans, especially since they could pick at the Falcons.  Horses would be added to the Sharks for the same reason the Jags got Cats and Falcons got Vipers.  The Adders could be set against the Dracs, they could exploit the Dracs weaknesses to combined arms & ops planning.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2017, 06:58:34 »
Yikes an adder vs combine invasion would have been rough for the dragons

Register