Author Topic: Combat in Atmosphere using capital ranges?  (Read 1178 times)

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
Combat in Atmosphere using capital ranges?
« on: 28 July 2017, 20:36:34 »
Trying to get a handle of how this plays out (if it's even allowable)

An ASF puttering along at 40km (row 2) finds a opposing fighter and moves in to fire a light Air to Air missile at the target which is at the same altitude in it's medium range band (between 7 and 12 hexes).

I know how this plays out in space, and using the "low" (ASF scale) altitude rules (the 500m scaled hexes), what im not clear on is how this plays out when using capital scale while in an atmosphere.

I aware of the velocity limits when using capital scale per altitude row (in row 2 a max speed of 6 hexes per turn, 6,480ph or roughly mach 5ish), im also aware of at capital scale that weapons firing through an atmo hex count going through 6 hexes per hex and that vehicle scale weapons can not go through the space interface hex. Also if the target it's one hex above or below the attacker it can not be engaged if they are adjacent to each other (or one hex out, can be engaged if two or more hexes away)

Basically how far away can I engage a target using capital scale when both attacker and defender are in atmosphere? 1/6th their space range, or full up ranges?
I would assume that the +2 for firing through an atmo hex also applies? 

So would a medium ranged weapon have a range of 2 hexes with a +4 to hit penalty? or a range of 12? Also how dose long and extreme range bands translate? 4 and 5 hexes (if 1/6th)?

Edit: If range conversion applies how dose it work with the individual range rules in Strat ops?
« Last Edit: 28 July 2017, 20:57:12 by Nebfer »

Register