Author Topic: Building House Units  (Read 2002 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Building House Units
« on: 30 July 2017, 04:51:14 »
  Hello all, I'm wondering if there is a book I'm missing? I have Combat Manual Mercs and I'm wondering if there is a publication with the same sort of rules for build House units? The Mercs book references House availability lists, so I started to wonder... thanks for the help in advance!!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Building House Units
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2017, 06:55:27 »
Alpha Strike Companion has general unit building rules. Also Campaign Operations book, which contains similar but slightly modified rules for standard BattleTech.

Combat Manual Mercs has mercenary lists, and Combat Manual Kurita has Kuritan and Free Rasalhague lists. Other CMs are still forthcoming, no news when.

http://masterunitlist.info/ is alternative for finding what house fields what units.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2017, 07:49:33 »
Alpha Strike Companion has general unit building rules. Also Campaign Operations book, which contains similar but slightly modified rules for standard BattleTech.

Combat Manual Mercs has mercenary lists, and Combat Manual Kurita has Kuritan and Free Rasalhague lists. Other CMs are still forthcoming, no news when.

http://masterunitlist.info/ is alternative for finding what house fields what units.

Okay, so the answer is no. For now... just the Kurita version is out yet. A different book for each  House will get expensive real fast... 😐 I guess I can just use MUL as the availability lists for now, and just make up the specific Regimental S.A. and force guidelines.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2017, 10:35:05 »
It seems that the powers that be (TPTB) either haven't decided on Alpha Strike's future direction or haven't decided to share it.

They've announced that they'll be publishing accompanying Combat Manuals for Davion and Steiner, but haven't yet announced ones for Marik or Liao.  I asked once if they planned on doing other eras beyond the "early clan invasion era" by separate house books or by one bigger book per era/subera with all the houses together, but the answer was that's much too far in the future to possibly say.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2017, 13:50:33 »
to be honest, i think Marik and Liao need a book more than Davion does. Davion is pretty much the posterchild for "standard inner sphere unit builds", they don't have many example of exotic lance concepts or even unconventional company/battalion level forces. the only one that comes to mind is the davion light guards' delta company (an almost battalion sized 'company' using lights) but ultimately that can be modeled using the light mech swarm rules from CM:Kurita.

but Marik has their 6 vehicle lances, and a tendancy to use combined arms/synergistic unit compositions at even company level. Liao was known for its 'dirty tricks' even during the succession wars.

further, Marik and Liao are the two that we have the least amount of actual detail on how they fight, because Davion and Steiner have gotten the bulk of the novels and sourcebooks in BT's history. Marik and Liao only really start getting viewpoint works (as anything other than 'mooks and villains') well after the clan invasion, when they've undergone a fairly massive cultural and military shift (gaining the WOB and undergoing Xin Shing respectively)

so at least in my opinion, Davion and Steiner should be the last combat manuals to come out for the inner sphere.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2017, 19:07:58 »
Its not so much just special organizational rules im after, its the Command Specail Abilities and sub-command SAs for individual Regiments of renown that i am interested in. Thats why i figure ill just wing it and pick them based the units history and documented tactics on Sarna site.
I did see the Kurita book, but for some reason I thought it was for CBT and not AS.... 😂
Thanks for the impnfo people!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2017, 19:10:33 »
With Campaign Operations, information in Combat Manuals is quite usable with standard BattleTech.

Field Manuals usually have special abilities for various units.