Author Topic: Star Wars Blaster Prop Build - The Bryar Pistol  (Read 2016 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
Star Wars Blaster Prop Build - The Bryar Pistol
« on: 04 August 2017, 10:17:19 »
Hi All!

So, I have always been a fan of Star Wars: Dark Forces and the subsequent sequels. When Star Wars: Battlefront released the Bryar pistol, I was thoroughly impressed and just recently I have decided to build one.

If you aren't familiar, here is an image of it:

Anyways, given most Star Wars guns are made from real weapons, I figured I would try and work this one from an M1911. My initial thought was that this was closer to a 1911 than it really is, but it still makes for a great base weapon. For my purposes, I bought a simple Crossman M1911 Spring airsoft pistol for about $15.

From there, I found this awesome blueprint over on DeviantArt:

Also, I was able to find this excellent 3D model of the M1911 on GrabCAD

https://grabcad.com/library/m1911-a1-redux-1

From here, I have begun my 3D model. Unlike most 3D prints of the K-16 Bryar that has been done lately, I still want to keep the 3D printed parts to a minimum. As such, I am leaving screw holes for all hardware and using what I can from the base gun as much as possible.

This is a little bit of an older WIP shot, but I wanted to share what I have done thus far. Tonight when I get back to my main PC I'll have a better update.

Let me know what you guys think!

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
Re: Star Wars Blaster Prop Build - The Bryar Pistol
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2017, 13:53:54 »
Wow, very impressive work so far! What program are you using out of curiosity? For my modeling, I've been working with Scetchup but I'd like to start using something more precise!
Looking forward to seeing this progress!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2017, 15:40:13 »
nice! O0
i wish i had time to do this stuff again
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2017, 19:02:03 »
Glad you like it!

I use Autodesk Inventor (which has a free version for hobbyists for those interested).  I also use inventor my my modeling of miniatures (I'm a regular sculptor for IWM). It's a great piece of software, very powerful.

Update photo! Probably going to have the 3D print done from this as is:

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2017, 17:46:50 »
Back end still looks a LOT like a 1911. Are you going to mod it a bit closer to the blueprint?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2017, 10:28:32 »
Back end still looks a LOT like a 1911. Are you going to mod it a bit closer to the blueprint?

I kinda still wanted it to work as an airsoft gun. As such, I can't really mod the handle and let it work still. So I was going to leave well enough alone.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2017, 22:19:37 »
I kinda still wanted it to work as an airsoft gun. As such, I can't really mod the handle and let it work still. So I was going to leave well enough alone.
Gotcha. Looks like I scrolled past some info on my first read. I blame my phone. ;)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2017, 03:06:19 »
perhaps add a false upper to the back part of the slide to disguise the colt look a bit more. the original source image looks to have a more squarish design there, so maybe a bit of building up on the sides of the slide to make it look less obviously like a 1911?

also, if i understand airsoft pistols right (been awhile since i've seen one in person), the ejector port on them is cosmetic, so you could probably hide that behind something, which would go a long way to making it look less like a 1911.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2017, 06:52:28 »
perhaps add a false upper to the back part of the slide to disguise the colt look a bit more. the original source image looks to have a more squarish design there, so maybe a bit of building up on the sides of the slide to make it look less obviously like a 1911?

also, if i understand airsoft pistols right (been awhile since i've seen one in person), the ejector port on them is cosmetic, so you could probably hide that behind something, which would go a long way to making it look less like a 1911.

Actually, It isn't incredibly clear, but I do have a 3D printed piece sitting in the ejector port.  I hope to get that filled in with some putty and sanding so you don't see the port at all.  Same with the gray pieces on the sides of the slide.  I hope to fill in the grooves on the slide with putty as well.

My brother is printing the parts slowly over the next few days.  Hopefully I'll have some physical pictures soon :)

Register