Author Topic: ok should i stay or should i upgrade my workstation  (Read 631 times)

elf25s

• Major
ok should i stay or should i upgrade my workstation
« on: 18 August 2017, 21:25:42 »
ok should i stick with my old trusty reliable and tough as hell hp elitebook 8560w or  purchase another one or go with
HP ELITEBOOK 8770W

keep in mind i am partial to nvidia vid cards

my 8560w has 6gb of ram and nice 1000 series 4gb card and usual bunch of ports and usbs

HP ELITEBOOK 8770W has 8 ram and slightly newer model of a vid card 4gb with same doodads and usb ports

now i am not sure if i want to upgrade and shove my current workstation on my youngling. so is it worth my time or money getting HP ELITEBOOK 8770W  or keeping my old one?

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: ok should i stay or should i upgrade my workstation
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2017, 22:21:39 »
Hard to say. What are your use cases? I would have said the introduction of the 1050 in place of the m series nVidia chips would signal a good opportunity to get in on a system, but you're citing a 2013 laptop as a replacement, so I'm not sure if I should recommend a newer high end workstation, a gaming laptop that also has delicious CUDA cores, or something else.

Your willingness to suffer shoulder injuries with an 8lb laptop does you credit (I hate everything over 5lb now, but I'm a pansy) and potentially lowers the price point.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

elf25s

• Major
Re: ok should i stay or should i upgrade my workstation
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2017, 09:32:24 »
ok 8560 runs games nicely skyrim ultimate in hd is beautiful and original crysis does not even stutter...( yah i keep crysis original as a stress test on the hardware and software still)

i took 8560w because some of my friends in IT still use them and recommended it for my use. damn thing is tough can take physical abuse and since i got it about 3 years back and installed win 7 ultimate on it did not had to turn the pc into a virgin like i had to every 4 months with windows xp vista and my fave yes i still use it windows nt (yes shoot me... i still enjoy win nt to mess with, besides how else i can play mechwarrior 3 or 2 without crashes?)

i am considering moving to something more updated like 8770w but not sure if it is worth it because what i have still works well...but i also recognize that sooner or later ill have to update. now i am undecided if the update should be made or be worth  the hassle of reconfigureing all over again.

as for usage it varies...mostly i do research and searches related to contracts i take for entertainment i play rarely but mostly its for work related stuff. but as with anything one can always never have enough horsepower so to speak when needed.

another one i am looking at is

lenov  IdeaPad Y410p
Asus ROG STRIX GL502VT
HP ProBook 6570b

opinions on the last 3 additions? i am looking for long term survivability of hardware...on all laptops/workstations
places i work and have to be at are rough...and no tough books are too weak for what i need but love the cases.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Register