Author Topic: Idiosyncratic quibbling  (Read 9859 times)

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
Re: Idiosyncratic quibbling
« Reply #60 on: 20 September 2017, 18:36:49 »
The recon moving the rediscovered Star League technology from the 3049/3051 to the 3030/3040’s.

Kai, Victor, Justin Alard, Fotch and Theodore have no idea how a mech can shoot form so far, run so cool, and mount so much armor to... FF, ES and DSHS have been in product for decades...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #61 on: 20 September 2017, 22:02:01 »
The Fotch/Theodore Kuirta part is especially funny because under Operation Rosebud and the MUL, Comstar gave the DC a significant enough number of standard tech designs to show up on the DCMS availability list starting in the mid 3030s 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #62 on: 20 September 2017, 23:36:41 »
The recon moving the rediscovered Star League technology from the 3049/3051 to the 3030/3040’s.

Kai, Victor, Justin Alard, Fotch and Theodore have no idea how a mech can shoot form so far, run so cool, and mount so much armor to... FF, ES and DSHS have been in product for decades...

You do know that they were surprised by the capabilities of clan technology, right? Even with star league tech, the capabilities of the clan war machines was beyond them. You couldn't make an inner sphere mech do what a clan mech could even with the latest inner sphere technology.

(whether or not it was much of a retcon in the first place is another matter)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #63 on: 21 September 2017, 11:52:05 »
I always figured the huge missile bubbles we see on older Mechs were simply part of the launcher and acted as shielding for the true rocket, which is only the size of a 2- or 3- liter bottle.

You'd be surprised how much space you can cram those into. And, it would explain why ammo explosions are so devastating.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #64 on: 21 September 2017, 11:57:17 »
Man, how many Mentos would a Longbow need per round?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 21 September 2017, 12:10:34 »
Man, how many Mentos would a Longbow need per round?

Probably a whole package per missile, complete with dissolving coating to be activated just at launch. 

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #66 on: 21 September 2017, 12:31:23 »
The thing that's bothered me from day one is I don't see how it is possible to fit all of that missile launcher ammo inside a mech!  ???  I mean is there really space for 480 LRMs in side that Archer?
Clearly, the missiles are inflatable, and need to be deflated in order to fit inside the 'Mech.  That's why it takes 15 minutes to load, rather than having the pre-configured and filled rack slide right into the place of the empty one.  The firing rate is largely dependent on the output of the compressor system to re-inflate them for launch.  The Archer miniature shown above obviously has room for "inflatable spares", in case of punctures.

My own quibble has to do with infantry weapons.  Most infantry platoons are fluffed as carrying several LAWs, for added firepower against armored targets.  The (old MechWarrior RPG) rules for damage against those armored targets, however, gives them the same ability to damage armor as the standard rifles.  Clearly, carrying a one-shot LAW weighing several kilograms is a better idea than carrying another much lighter ammo clip with 10-30 shots of the same effectiveness.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2017, 14:05:01 by Kovax »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #67 on: 21 September 2017, 16:22:46 »
i have seen at least one fanfic where they had the 'volleys' in BT be sub-munitions.. the launcher fires a single large missile, which then splits into sub-missiles partway to the target.

sorta like

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 21 September 2017, 21:29:45 »
You do know that they were surprised by the capabilities of clan technology, right? Even with star league tech, the capabilities of the clan war machines was beyond them. You couldn't make an inner sphere mech do what a clan mech could even with the latest inner sphere technology.

(whether or not it was much of a retcon in the first place is another matter)

Clan FF is not that different the IS FF
Clan endo is not different then then IS endo.
Clan DSHS are not different then IS DSHS.

Clan Gauss and ERPPC and LRM have the same range as IS versions.

If you know about star league tech because you have been deploying it slowly over the past 15 years you won’t be jaw dropping surprised when an incrementally better version shows up.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #69 on: 21 September 2017, 23:40:42 »
Clan FF is not that different the IS FF
Clan endo is not different then then IS endo.
Clan DSHS are not different then IS DSHS.

Clan Gauss and ERPPC and LRM have the same range as IS versions.

If you know about star league tech because you have been deploying it slowly over the past 15 years you won’t be jaw dropping surprised when an incrementally better version shows up.

Why not? Inner Sphere technology doesn't advance that fast.

Also, individually, they aren't that different, but together in a package the results are staggering. We need only look at the inner sphere's attempt to do the same with less (such as the rakshasa), to see that.

One could also look into the master unit list to figure out which of these advanced units the inner sphere had been "getting used to" and then find out that production quality advanced technology doesn't actually start getting into the hands of pilots until the mid to late 3040s, with the most advanced versions appearing within a couple years of the invasion. Most of the classic clan era upgrades still don't enter service until after the clan invasion is already under way. Heck, a healthy number of the designs that pop up in TRO 3050 actually date from 3051.  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #70 on: 22 September 2017, 03:15:44 »
And the point about clan LRMs isn't that the ammunition performance is any different, it's that there are twice as many as there "should" be on any given design.  That factor does deserve "jaw dropping" in my mind.  And a clan ER PPC is capable of removing the head of a 'mech, no critical roll required.  The closest the IS ever got to that on their own was the Blazer Cannon, which never made it into full production.  I'll certainly concede the point on Gauss Rifles, though.  That difference was truly only incremental.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #71 on: 25 September 2017, 07:59:15 »
That none of the Merkava tanks have integrated infantry compartments.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #72 on: 25 September 2017, 12:02:24 »
That none of the Merkava tanks have integrated infantry compartments.

That's nothing compared to unwisely making a tank and then naming it after some wise men.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 25 September 2017, 21:51:46 »
How could I have forgotten the SRM4 placement on the ON1-K. It's my longest standing semi-childish overreaction to art vs record sheet

Art and TRO description.  In the original 3025 TRO it even states that its SRM 4 surrounding the ML and bottom 2 holes are for coolant hookups.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 28 September 2017, 20:50:04 »
Mechanized and Motorized Infantry:  description, stats, capabilities, basic concept.  Just use Foot Infantry or Battle Armor.
Artillery being forced to fire by weapon vice unit because parallel lines, opposite interior angles, and voice communications is beyond 30th Century mathematics.
The inability of factions to have different tactical organizations.
The RCT and LCT.
The SLDF Division is actually a corps because the difference between regiments and brigades is a nuanced matter of organization vice scale.

That said, I still come to this website nearly every day because this game has been a part of my life since the summer of 1985 or so.

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 29 September 2017, 18:36:44 »
Mechanized and Motorized Infantry:  description, stats, capabilities, basic concept.  Just use Foot Infantry or Battle Armor.
Artillery being forced to fire by weapon vice unit because parallel lines, opposite interior angles, and voice communications is beyond 30th Century mathematics.
The inability of factions to have different tactical organizations.
The RCT and LCT.
The SLDF Division is actually a corps because the difference between regiments and brigades is a nuanced matter of organization vice scale.

That said, I still come to this website nearly every day because this game has been a part of my life since the summer of 1985 or so.

I certainly agree on Mechanised and motorised. When I first saw the words I was thinking along the lines of my Flames of War Panzergrenadiers in half tracks, but then I read on and promptly decided to pretend they didn't exist.

The beauty of having so much in the universe is you can easily cut and paste the bits that don't suit your taste [protomechs]. I know I do it a lot [MWDA], and it saves me a whole heap of grief [LAMs].

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #76 on: 29 September 2017, 19:43:12 »
My major quibble.....No matter how big the building...it all neatly collapses into a +0 level pile of rubble.

Level 1 Tent - Destroyed into a level 0 pile of rubble.

level 30 Hardened Starport Tower - Destroyed into a level 0 pile of rubble.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 30 September 2017, 11:18:17 »
Why don't SRM & LRM all have 120 missiles per ton? This way you can easily have all your SRMs feeding from the same ton of ammo, each just grabbing 2 at a time until they are full.  LRMs would grab in groups of 5.

Why can't missile upgrades from LRMs be mounted on Thunderbolt missiles with no warhead size penalty? (if the guidance system can fit on a 1 pt LRM with no penalty, it shouldn't need a penalty to fit on a Thunderbolt missile)

Why don't Gauss weapons produce more heat? (Ballistics can to use the casing to dump heat, Gauss don't get that benefit)

Infantry should only get a limited number of anti-Mech shots per game (but if they are in the same hex as an ammo dump, they first take away shots from the ammo dump).  Similar to Elementals only getting 2 SRM salvos per game.

LRM launchers in pictures are oversized for their ammo.  With 120 LRMs per ton of ammo, that makes them 8.33 kg in mass (not counting ammo transfer).  The closest we have is the FFAR, a rocket 8.4 kg in mass and 70mm in width (2.75 inches).

For integrating height into horizontal range (only doing Battlemech map), do this.  Take the elevation, divide it by 6.  From that number, compare it to the horizontal range.  So set X = E/6, and here is the chart:
E/6 - Effect
X<1/4HR - ignore it
1/4HR<=X<1/2HR - add 10% to horizontal Range
1/2HR<=X<3/4HR - add 1/6 HR to itself (FRN)
X=3/4HR - Add 25% to HR
3/4HR<X<HR - Add 37% to HR
So if you want your elevation to affect the range to the target, your difference in elevation levels needs to be at least 50% higher than your range in hexes.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 12 October 2017, 11:50:03 »
Did I mention the schizophrenic nature of Mech and Pilot rarity? I must have, but I'll bring it up again.

If Mechs are so rare, how are there mercenaries who can buy, sell and trade in such rare things that the houses would be snatching up as much as they can? How is there a surplus?

If Pilots are so scarce, why is there a dispossessed pool of pilots, and people worrying about becoming one such?

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #79 on: 12 October 2017, 22:11:18 »
That somehow, over the course of multiple centuries, human civilization has ossified into a specific set of five nation-states, all run by dynasties that continue onward without major shifts for eight centuries, not only in the ruling house but in the noble houses below them.

Register