Author Topic: The birth defect of the Free Rasalhague Republic  (Read 2801 times)

Frabby

• Major
The birth defect of the Free Rasalhague Republic
« on: 08 September 2017, 06:42:51 »
Re-reading Heir to the Dragon for the umphteenth time for data mining I realized that the Draconis Combine had never actually sanctioned the formation of the FRR or recognized the breakaway state in a formally correct way.
Instead, Theodore Kurita forged his father's (the Coordinator's) electronic seal in the electronic documents, with Subhash Indrahar watching via spysoftware, and sent the Combine's recognition to ComStar after the Coordinator had stormed out declaring he wouldn't sign those documents.

Now this is all water under the bridge now, with the timeline advanced way over a century beyond that point. The FRR was subsequently defended against "Ronin" forces by the Draconis Combine, was largely conquered by the Ghost Bears, its remnant officially merged with the occupied territories to form the Ghost Bear Dominion. Presumably, peace treaties between the Ghost Bears and the Combine in the aftermath of either of their two wars also have something to say about who owns which planet.

Or maybe not. After all, if the original forgery of the Combine's approval can be proven, it might be grounds for the Combine to claim the former Rasalhague District worlds as still belonging to their realm.
(If you assume that the Combine needs a legal excuse to go to war in the first place, that is - after all they've maintained for centuries that all worlds are belong to them anyways.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

VhenRa

• Captain
Re: The birth defect of the Free Rasalhague Republic
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2017, 07:07:49 »
At the end of the day for Battletech. Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Minchandre

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2017, 08:30:23 »
Maybe they can add it to the list right after all of the worlds that the Bears conquered from the Combine proper

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2017, 12:10:36 »
Takashi couldn't renege on the recognititon of the FRR without a huge loss of face and honor, as it went out under his seal.
As such it is the same as if he signed it himself. Theodore most certainly must have confirmed it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2017, 14:44:48 »
Once Theodore became Coordinator, i suspect that he arranged to have it be recognized on more legal grounds as well.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2017, 15:59:14 »
Once Theodore became Coordinator, i suspect that he arranged to have it be recognized on more legal grounds as well.

Takashi likely could not take a blow to his pride.  Theodore seemed a lot more stable than his father and of course he would have supported his earlier actions.  The DC also needed the buffer zone against the LC from what I remember. 

Once it becomes the Ghost Bear Dominion reneging on the earlier documents is just asking to get attacked by the Ghost Bears, IMHO.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2017, 17:00:42 »
It wasn't the first time orders were given under a Coordinator's name without his approval or knowledge nor was it likely the last.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2017, 17:08:50 »

To use another example of this, the reason there wasn't Kurita sitting on the throne at New Avalon after the War of Davion Succession had virtually nothing to do with the legal arguments relating to Mary Davion's abdication and virtually everything to do with the outcome of the actual shooting war.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2017, 19:59:04 »
Legal niceties wouldn't stop most human populations from just *Deciding* that someone else's stuff belonged to them instead, if they got the notion in their head.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2017, 22:03:45 »
My only lament for the FRR is that it didn't have time to get super interesting before it was forced to Bear its fate.  Had it been independent earlier, or the Clans arrived later, who knows.  I suppose Theodore Kurita had the right idea, and was able to help use it as a massive quid-pro-quo when they got help from Comstar later in 3039.

Then if the other 10% of lawfirms aren't possessed, what's their excuse?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2017, 02:11:05 »

Then if the other 10% of lawfirms aren't possessed, what's their excuse?
They're ambulance chasers and environmental lawyers
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2017, 03:54:44 »
They're ambulance chasers and environmental lawyers
Probably NIBMY environmental lawyers too boot