Author Topic: A lore question about ASFs  (Read 1037 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
A lore question about ASFs
« on: 10 October 2017, 07:43:49 »
Got to ask, do we know what the earliest ASF class was?  Trying to find out for a bit of writing i'm working on.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: A lore question about ASFs
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2017, 09:13:18 »
A MUL search can give you the ASF with the earliest introduction year, but that's not exactly the answer to the question you're asking.

Far as I know, the answer is "we've never been told what the Mackie analogue for ASFs is".  We know there used to be purely space and purely atmospheric fighters, and ASFs were finally invented.. but I don't recall anything saying what the first class was to combine both functions.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2017, 09:25:30 »
Hmm okay :) Well thats at least something, and I kinda know where to look. Now to find the MUL's :p

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2017, 09:27:12 »
easy peasy.  here is a link for you ready to go.  You can even sort them by intro date.

The MUL says Sabre is the oldest.  Fluff that's come out since AT1 describes that it was mass produced across the Inner Sphere, so that indicates to me it was produced when ASF technology was already mature.  Whatever the first ASF was, it was probably produced in much more limited fashion.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2017, 09:30:17 by Tai Dai Cultist »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2017, 09:46:29 »
*declares you to be a star, or star destroyer, your choice* Thank you :)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2017, 09:51:41 »
easy peasy.  here is a link for you ready to go.  You can even sort them by intro date.

The MUL says Sabre is the oldest.  Fluff that's come out since AT1 describes that it was mass produced across the Inner Sphere, so that indicates to me it was produced when ASF technology was already mature.  Whatever the first ASF was, it was probably produced in much more limited fashion.

I'll have to add it to the errata page but the Sabre replaced the Star Dagger so the Star Dagger should be older.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2017, 05:16:36 »
Got to ask, do we know what the earliest ASF class was?  Trying to find out for a bit of writing i'm working on.
  According to the fluff of the Hurricane CF in XTRO: Primitives I (said type being introduced in 2297, BTW), the first ASF was the Chimera, which Martinson Armaments created off the back of the Hurricane’s massive success.

The Star Dagger must have been either a contemporary or a very rapid successor to the Chimera, since ex-THAF Star Daggers were sold off to the Draconis Combine ‘in the early twenty-fourth century when the Hegemony upgraded its aerospace fleet’.  By the same token, the Star Dagger’s fluff in XTRO: RetroTech is somewhat in conflict with TRO:3075RetroTech asserts it’s the introduction of the Sabre which supposedly finished off the S-2 Star Dagger, yet TRO3075 has the Sabre dating back to the Alliance of Galedon (which became the Draconis Combine in 2319), and the first (primitive) SB-26 being flown by Shiro Kurita himself!  Presumably the writer meant that the introduction of the modern SB-27 Sabre variant was the death-knell for the S-2, ‘centuries’ after the DCA first received them from the THAF.

Register