Author Topic: Good, balanced beginner squadrons?  (Read 1547 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Good, balanced beginner squadrons?
« on: 12 December 2017, 00:00:32 »

Wondering if anyone could suggest some good beginner squadrons to learn the Aero rules with? Have always wanted to play, but the groups I've played with over the years were kind of scared off by the "complexity". The various box sets have had good lance on lance scenarios to help you learn the ropes of BattleMech battles, (even some quickstart rules for infantry and vees), but there's not been anything like that for Aero since BattleSpace.

So could anyone recommend what would be a good, small squadron of DropShips to learn how to play the Aero side of things? I was thinking a Union, a couple of Leopards and a Leopard CV, plus the various fighters from each would give a balanced scenario (both sides using identical Droppers...).

Okay, so figuring out the DropShips isn't that hard really, but what I don't know anything about is the WarShips. What unit selection would make a small squadron WarShip battle interesting but accessible to a complete Aero novice? I'm thinking 4 WarShips (plus the attached DropShips) per side would be plenty big enough (maybe just 2 WarShips would be better)...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Good, balanced beginner squadrons?
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2017, 18:37:34 »
Personally, I'd start with just some fighters.

Something nice & simple like a pair of Corsairs v/s Transits.

Get used to tracking the movement/speed/velocity in 0-G & atmosphere.

Then bring dropships just to add in the mechanics of large craft.

For learning with those I'd say the basic Leopard is a good craft.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register