Author Topic: New Campaign - Battle for Poznan - Online and In-Person Tabletop  (Read 7426 times)

Frabby

• Major
Re: New Campaign - Battle for Poznan - Online and In-Person Tabletop
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2018, 01:55:52 »
I somehow managed to completely miss this campaign until now. Looks like I have some reading to do; I'm definitely interested in the online part!
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 10 January 2018, 03:48:30 »
Solid first set of stuff! This is fun so far!

For future reference: provided it's possible in a situation, could an estimate of the hostile force strength be given? For example, I imagine the Fundao event, we wouldn't really have anything in the way of numbers. Genhe, I would presume the local infantry unit would have an estimate of some sort (even if flawed). The below orders presume that the opposing forces are relatively small, I wouldn't mind a chance to amend orders if this assumption is flawed.
IE if Genhe is like a few hundred Hermanos vs a few hundred Protectorate, I'd likely switch the order to something a lot less adventurous.

OOC: This is looking like quite the situation: a lot of paramilitary activity. Choosing sides seems necessary. Probably was inevitable anyway; 90% is pretty much a done deal. Especially when the 10% is split 3 ways.
Still, we may be able to deal with the Poles at least.

Fundao: Skirmish: A skirmish erupts between G.D.G. terrorists and the People's Protectorate.  Dispatch air support?  If yes, for which side? 

Launch Guardians from Firebase Elvas against GDG targets. Orders of fighters are to observe the following priorities:
1. 100% return rate of Guardians; do not engage or continue engagement if opposition presents credible and imminent means of downing Guardians.
2. Fire SRMs or drop bombs only when pilot has 100% confidence in 0 collateral damage. This has the highest priority, even if it means no bombs are dropped, or no SRMs are fired.
3. Loiter above the engagement and gather intel even if it's impossible to attack due to directive #2. We need to get a clearer picture of what this is about.

Launch Guardians from Firebase Trujillo on Zaragosa towards Elvas as well. Issue similar orders, with the understanding their fuel will permit almost no loiter time.

Attempt to get infantry from Firebase Candra in visual range of fight. (Probably impossible given how movement seems to work). Intent is to observe from range, not get involved. Establish communications with Guardians and assist with target selection.

TO DO: Have Mask contact the Protectorate, and have the Protectorate provide intel on GDG activities. We are interested in destroying the GDG and would prefer to do the heavy lifting there.

Genhe: Skirmish: Poznan Home Guard Jump SRM Company come upon a skirmish between Los Hermanos del Sol and the People's Protectorate.  Withdraw?  Attack?  Aid one side?

Have Guardians from Firebase Tianchang deploy, and await commands/targets from Jump Infantry Company. Load Frag SRMs if possible to swap ammo; standard loadout should be normal SRMs.

Jump Infantry should attempt to place the Hermanos between themselves and the Protectorate. (160 degrees, since 180 degrees increases odds of 'friendly' fire)
Have Jump Infantry issue ultimatum to *both* sides when Guardians are in strike range:
- Disengage immediately
- The Poznan Militia places you under arrest. Toss your weapons and lay on the ground.
- You have 10 seconds to comply

Communicate to infantry that the assumption is neither side will comply.
If both sides, or the Hermanos don't comply, call in Guardians on the Hermanos position. Bombing run. Guardians to loiter for additional SRM attacks called in by infantry. Infantry to attack the Hermanos if they do not surrender. Prisoners preferred, safety of troopers is higher priority still.

Protectorate is not a priority at this time. If they attempt to leave, let them. If they attempt to comply with surrender order, shield them from the Hermanos. Your actions should make your priorities obvious, so friendly fire from the Protectorate should be minimal and cease quickly. If they are stupid and attempt to pose a threat to your unit, disengage and let the Protectorate deal with the Hermanos without your support. Observe conflict, and mop up whatever side seems to have won, if possible.

If the Protectorate is adamant about attacking your unit, you are to defeat them if this seems possible.

Avoid overextending. Do not attack if opposition appears superior to your Company.

TODO: Contact the Protectorate depending on how the above goes.

Nanchang: Skirmish: A skirmish erupts between G.D.G. terrorists and the People's Protectorate.  Dispatch air support?  If yes, for which side? 

Dispatch Guardians from Firebase Husar (Boleslaw) to engage GDG. Copy orders from the Guardians going against the GDG in Elvas. Key is avoiding collateral damage, even if that means they end up just flying over.
As with Elvas, see if an infantry platoon from Firebase Candra can get eyes on the conflict to assist in target selection.

Rzeszow: Skirmish: 5th Poznan Militia (Scorpion Lance 2 and Silverfin Lance) encounter elements of the Winged Hussars on patrol.  Attack?  Withdraw?

Communicate. Request their intentions. Ask them if they want to share security concerns.
If they communicate, maintain friendly stance. [Hopefully there will be a follow up in such an instance.]
If they are uncooperative but unaggressive, leave them be and withdraw.
If they get belligerent, engage if you have a clear and overwhelming advantage. Withdraw otherwise.
Explain to on-site commander that conflict with the Hussars is not desirable, cooperation is preferred, but that we are not interested in having our authority challenged. We are even less interested in losing troops, Scorpions and Silverfins in a futile battle.

Ulanqab: Battle: A pitched battle erupts between Los Hermanos del Sol and the People's Protectorate.  Dispatch air support?  If yes, for which side?

Have Guardians from Firebase Lorca respond, with orders similar to those issued against Guardians tasked with going against the GDG without ground troops. Engage Hermanos when you have clear targets, not dropping bombs or SRMs is fine if no targets present.
In the event that either no opportunity exists at Ulanqab, or in the event that ammo remains, communicate with commander at Yakeshi and Genhe, and assist there per the orders for that battle.

Yakeshi: Skirmish: 4th Poznan Militia (Scorpion Lance 2) encounters a pitched battle between Los Hermanos del Sol and the People's Protectorate.  Intervene?  Take sides?  Hang back?

Orders similar to Genhe, BUT:
- Assumption is that Scorpions are not going to be very effective without infantry support.
- If true, Scorpions should not rely on the Protectorate to act as infantry support.

As such, the stance cannot be as aggressive as it is in Genhe. Scorpions will likely have to hold back and then attempt to arrest or destroy the survivors if they're Hermanos, or attempt to arrest or let flee if they're Protectorate.
If I'm wrong, (IE, if the effective fighting strength on both sides is, say, about a platoon each) the Scorpions can follow the battle plan of Genhe.

Almonte:  Attrition: One Scorpion develops mechanical difficulties and cannot be used in combat until repaired at a firebase.

Castelo Branco:  Attrition: One Scorpion develops mechanical difficulties and cannot be used in combat until repaired at a firebase.

Gdansk:  Attrition: One Scorpion develops mechanical difficulties and cannot be used in combat until repaired at a firebase.

Jerez de los Caballeros: Attrition: One Scorpion develops mechanical difficulties and cannot be used in combat until repaired at a firebase.

This seems a bit high, but let's see if it's just a weird collection of dice. No need to start changing stuff based on a single turn.

Let me know if any of the battles you're present for (Genhe, Rzeszow, and Yakeshi) sounds interesting enough to play out on tabletop, or if you want to resolve it with a roll on the COMBAT OPERATIONS TABLE and move on to the next online turn. 

A lot depends on the numbers. Genhe is promising, even if it's infantry only with air support. Yakeshi probably won't be; either the Scorpions stomp an infantry platoon out of existence in a turn or two, or they don't get involved until the fight's basically over because of the disparity. Hard to judge without numbers.
Rzeszow shouldn't and hopefully won't become a fight. If it does, it'll be amusing to find a way for those Silverfins to do anything. =)

Paul
« Last Edit: 10 January 2018, 03:57:12 by Paul »
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #32 on: 10 January 2018, 07:30:32 »
The possible outcomes from the MANEUVER OPERATIONS are: 
- No Progress (no contact reported);
- Campaign Continues (Pretty much a duplicate of the No Progress result, for our purposes);
- Attrition (the most common result - a percentage of the units put into the field get reduced to "Salvage" quality due to wear and tear);
- Skirmish (small sub-elements of the two sides come into contact and fight);
- Battle (major elements of the two sides come into contact and fight);
- Decisive Engagement (major elements from one side come into contact with small sub-elements of the other side, setting up a beat-down or outright surrender)

Genhe: Hermanos have a company (four platoons) of motorized machine gun infantry (MGs in the sidecars);  Protectorate has a company of foot rifle infantry and a lance of Urban Enforcer IV armored vehicles (Capellan variant of the Cellco Ranger from Vehicle Annex)

Rzeszow: Winged Hussars have a foot rifle infantry company (four platoons)

Yakeshi: Hermanos have a company (four platoons) of motorized machine gun infantry (MGs in the sidecars);  Protectorate has a company of foot rifle infantry and a lance of Urban Enforcer IV armored vehicles (Capellan variant of the Cellco Ranger from Vehicle Annex)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #33 on: 10 January 2018, 08:43:48 »
I somehow managed to completely miss this campaign until now. Looks like I have some reading to do; I'm definitely interested in the online part!

By all means, join in!  You're welcome to provide input on troop deployments and battle guidance.  I'll resolve conflicts based on consensus orders following each deadline.  The next deadline is Midnight Thursday (Eastern US Time)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 10 January 2018, 16:29:53 »
The possible outcomes from the MANEUVER OPERATIONS are: 
- No Progress (no contact reported);
- Campaign Continues (Pretty much a duplicate of the No Progress result, for our purposes);
- Attrition (the most common result - a percentage of the units put into the field get reduced to "Salvage" quality due to wear and tear);
- Skirmish (small sub-elements of the two sides come into contact and fight);
- Battle (major elements of the two sides come into contact and fight);
- Decisive Engagement (major elements from one side come into contact with small sub-elements of the other side, setting up a beat-down or outright surrender)

This feels wrong, but I see no point in whining this early. Let's play a few more turns, and if I still feel like it's off, I'll bring it up again.

Genhe: Hermanos have a company (four platoons) of motorized machine gun infantry (MGs in the sidecars);  Protectorate has a company of foot rifle infantry and a lance of Urban Enforcer IV armored vehicles (Capellan variant of the Cellco Ranger from Vehicle Annex)

Dang. We need to hassle the Mask: seems like the Protectorate has the intel needed to engage with a large formation of the enemy, but we do not.
Orders remain unchanged, but infantry is cautioned that this fight is a lot more even than we want. They have permission to maneuver as indicated, but can hold off issuing the ultimatum until both sides have degraded each other a bit.

Rzeszow: Winged Hussars have a foot rifle infantry company (four platoons)

Clearly, we need to start sending Scorpions out with Flechette ammo.
Orders remain unchanged, but without Flechette ammo, this isn't in our favor. My assumption is that the Poles may be willing to deal, but if they start making excessive threats, the Scorpions are free to shell the Poles with ACs until their ammo runs out, then return to base. Or finish them off with MGs if the ACs degraded them sufficiently.
In BT terms, they have 1 MP, we have 4/6. Move to 6 hexes, shell for a couple of turns, then back up to 6 again. Closest they ever get is 4 hexes, so they never get a shot off. This sounds like an auto-win, except the AC ammo will run out before they die. But maybe enough casualties will be made that the MGs can finish the job without major casualties.
Not really worth playing out in game, seems boring.
But again, the hope is that we don't have to fight 3 insurgent groups, and that we can find sufficient common ground with the Hussars to at least get through the next several months or more.

Yakeshi: Hermanos have a company (four platoons) of motorized machine gun infantry (MGs in the sidecars);  Protectorate has a company of foot rifle infantry and a lance of Urban Enforcer IV armored vehicles (Capellan variant of the Cellco Ranger from Vehicle Annex)

Orders don't really change. Potshot the Hermanos beyond their effective range (So 4 hexes and above in TW), command apologizes for not sending you out with frag ammo. Don't go in to MG range unless the enemy has been degraded. Try to take some prisoners. If the GDG and Hermanos (and Hussars!) are getting offworld support, we may need the Protectorate despite their supremacist tendencies, so that extensive spiel about how to deal with them continues to apply.

Paul

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 10 January 2018, 16:34:05 »
Game wise, Genhe seems worthwhile. The other Scorpion fights don't seem interesting, but could be done at roughly the same time because they're so lightweight.
Still, if all of this gets RPed out, that's fine too. Playing it out grants greater control over the finesse portion about favoring the Protectorate. Especially with regards to mitigating the risk of airstrikes.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #36 on: 10 January 2018, 17:13:05 »
Game wise, Genhe seems worthwhile. The other Scorpion fights don't seem interesting, but could be done at roughly the same time because they're so lightweight.
Still, if all of this gets RPed out, that's fine too. Playing it out grants greater control over the finesse portion about favoring the Protectorate. Especially with regards to mitigating the risk of airstrikes.

They are all small fights - perhaps we could tack Genhe onto the end of your campaign event this Saturday.  I have the minis, record sheets, and terrain.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 10 January 2018, 17:52:02 »
They are all small fights - perhaps we could tack Genhe onto the end of your campaign event this Saturday.  I have the minis, record sheets, and terrain.

Not impossible, but I can't guarantee there will be time. I have to leave pretty much around 6pm.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #38 on: 11 January 2018, 09:16:07 »
This feels wrong, but I see no point in whining this early. Let's play a few more turns, and if I still feel like it's off, I'll bring it up again.

If we were strictly adhering to the Quick Campaign Resolution structure, you'd roll on the table until you got a Skirmish, Battle, Decisive Engagement, or Campaign Continues result.  "No Progress" is treated like "roll again" and "Attrition" weakens your side due to mechanical failures, and then you keep rolling.  A bad series of rolls could see the majority of your force laid out in the repair bay by the time a combat result comes up.  I've chosen to treat "Attrition" as a "downgrade a unit for maintenance and stop rolling" result.

Dang. We need to hassle the Mask: seems like the Protectorate has the intel needed to engage with a large formation of the enemy, but we do not.

In these cases, the local Protectorate forces were alerted to the Hermanos by their raids on the Chinese cities.  No Mask reports are needed to follow the plume of smoke on the horizon.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 11 January 2018, 11:21:50 »
If we were strictly adhering to the Quick Campaign Resolution structure, you'd roll on the table until you got a Skirmish, Battle, Decisive Engagement, or Campaign Continues result.  "No Progress" is treated like "roll again" and "Attrition" weakens your side due to mechanical failures, and then you keep rolling.  A bad series of rolls could see the majority of your force laid out in the repair bay by the time a combat result comes up.  I've chosen to treat "Attrition" as a "downgrade a unit for maintenance and stop rolling" result.

That definitely makes a bad thing less bad.
I'm inclined to think those rules mean to reflect a long period of maneuvers, not the little stints we do, so the incidence of attrition should be lower still.
That said, I do think it makes sense to table this until we've got a couple of turns in.

In these cases, the local Protectorate forces were alerted to the Hermanos by their raids on the Chinese cities.  No Mask reports are needed to follow the plume of smoke on the horizon.

That makes a lot of sense, but I like embarrasing the Mask. ;)

Time-wise, there's been a few changes. I've got a lot more availability.
We could:
- Arrive early and knock it out
- Stay after the main game is done, and play it out
- Return after dinner with the group, Store closes at 9pm, so as long as we get back by 8pm, that could be useful.

Which has your preference? Mine leans towards the first, and maybe showing up at 10:30 or 11?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #40 on: 11 January 2018, 11:43:30 »
The Merc Handbook quick campaign resolution system assumes each round is a month, while I'm running this on a week-long basis. 

Looking more closely (it's explained in the air superiority section, not the ground-war section, which is why I missed it earlier), the Attrition result is explained as the result of isolated encounters between actively hostile forces along the established battle lines.

That being the case, I'll re-roll "Attrition" results for units that aren't co-located with declared hostiles.  Consider your patrolling Scorpions in full working order.

I'm game for this to be the warm-up act.  I'll plan to be at the store by 10:30 with everything necessary in hand.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 11 January 2018, 11:57:45 »
That being the case, I'll re-roll "Attrition" results for units that aren't co-located with declared hostiles.  Consider your patrolling Scorpions in full working order.

Good solution. If you want to adjust it again later, I'm not automatically opposed to it. The notion of attrition makes a lot of sense, and I'm not expecting immunity.

I'm game for this to be the warm-up act.  I'll plan to be at the store by 10:30 with everything necessary in hand.

Cool. I think Genhe should be the focus, but the Yakeshi fight may be worth a look as well, from a 'kingmaker' perspective.
And I assume I can't retcon the Scorpions to all have Flechette ammo? It'll become SOP subsequent to this turn, until the enemy demonstrates heavily armored enemies. But I realize it's not an idea I had initially (despite that being possible, given the intel you gave us) so I don't consider myself entitled.

Paul

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #42 on: 11 January 2018, 12:05:31 »
I'll bring enough minis and record sheets for all three potential fights.

Since they didn't know the composition of the OpFor, standard loads make the most sense.  That being said, remember the Scorpions come standard with a Machine Gun, so you do have anti-personnel options.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2018, 12:07:05 by Mendrugo »

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 11 January 2018, 12:16:32 »
I'll bring enough minis and record sheets for all three potential fights.

Cool!

Since they didn't know the composition of the OpFor, standard loads make the most sense. 

Fair.

That being said, remember the Scorpions come standard with a Machine Gun, so you do have anti-personnel options.

Yeah, but the downside of that is getting in to their range to use the MG.
Now, if it was like 1 platoon, I'd move all 4 scorpions in and hose, since a single salvo from all 4 will likely waste the infantry. A single salvo from 1 platoon isn't likely to kill a Scorpion.

But 4 platoons can waste a Scorpion if we rush in. Best to shell at range until it stops being funny. 1 kill per shot, maybe 2 if we get em in the open. The Protectorate forces will have to do a lot of killing.
The MGs might get used as mopup.

Flechette ammo, the guns still do 2 damage against armored targets, but 5 against infantry. Noice.

Paul

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #44 on: 11 January 2018, 12:27:52 »
One other factor for you to consider - the battlefields in Genhe and Yakeshi are "Dense Urban". 

I'll be using the Marvel Superhero city maps (seen here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=59139.0).  Initial deployment for Genhe is with the Hermanos holed up inside a bank (they got caught robbing it), and the Protectorate forming a perimeter in the surrounding blocks. 

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 11 January 2018, 15:06:20 »
That's starting to look pretty interesting! Looking forward to that.

Questions I'll likely ask (but that I don't mind if you resolve Saturday)
- Do we know the Bank's CF? Failing that, do we know the building class (Light, medium, etc)?
- Are the protectorate forces communicating with us?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #46 on: 11 January 2018, 15:41:28 »
That's starting to look pretty interesting! Looking forward to that.

Questions I'll likely ask (but that I don't mind if you resolve Saturday)
- Do we know the Bank's CF? Failing that, do we know the building class (Light, medium, etc)?
- Are the protectorate forces communicating with us?

It's a Heavy building, with a Hardened vault area.  The Protectorate forces welcome your arrival and request help resolving the standoff.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 11 January 2018, 16:01:32 »
It's a Heavy building, with a Hardened vault area.  The Protectorate forces welcome your arrival and request help resolving the standoff.

This is going well.
Extend appreciation of the locals doing their part to counteract brazen banditry. We are indeed here to resolve the issue. Request that we develop a joint plan of resolution.

More questions:
- Do we know if the Hermanos have hostages?
- The bank in question, is it a major brance, or a minor one?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #48 on: 11 January 2018, 17:33:29 »
Depending on which map I end up using, the bank building is either 3 or 6 stories high.  There may indeed be hostages, but I the situation is evolving, and the Protectorate haven't gotten anyone inside to negotiate.

For the Yakeshi fight, the situation is reversed.  The Hermanos brought some field guns (towed behind the bikes) and are besieging a police station, with Protectorate troops holed up inside.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 11 January 2018, 18:19:50 »
Depending on which map I end up using, the bank building is either 3 or 6 stories high.  There may indeed be hostages, but I the situation is evolving, and the Protectorate haven't gotten anyone inside to negotiate.

K, solid starting point.

For the Yakeshi fight, the situation is reversed.  The Hermanos brought some field guns (towed behind the bikes) and are besieging a police station, with Protectorate troops holed up inside.

Do we know if they just brought like 2 or 3 in 1 platoon, or did all platoons bring those guns? Might be hard for the Scorpions to fight that. Good thign we have some airstrikes coming in.

Paul

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #50 on: 11 January 2018, 18:39:45 »
Do we know if they just brought like 2 or 3 in 1 platoon, or did all platoons bring those guns? Might be hard for the Scorpions to fight that. Good thign we have some airstrikes coming in.

Paul

1 per platoon.  4 total.  They are still bandits, equipment wise, not an RCT.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 11 January 2018, 18:48:50 »
1 per platoon.  4 total.  They are still bandits, equipment wise, not an RCT.

Relieved to hear it. That fight may prove tricky, but do-able. I've got plots.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #52 on: 12 January 2018, 08:59:17 »
One slight modification to the Yakeshi fight - instead of Urban Enforcer IVs, there'll be a lance of GS-54 Guard SecurityMechs trying to relieve the siege.  (Just for variety, rather than having UE4s at both fights)

Urban Enforcer IV:  17 tons, 3/5, 2.5 tons of BAR 8 armor, 1 MG in a turret, 1-ton infantry compartment, fore and aft grenade launchers

GS-54 Guard: 15 tons, 5/8, Head and CT-mounted Machine Guns, Utility internal structure, fairly thin BAR-8 armor.  (Can take a Medium Laser or AC/5 to the CT or Head and keep going, but such a hit will penetrate anywhere else).

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 13 January 2018, 23:24:39 »
The Genhe and Yakeshi fights were completed!

Solid chunk of fun, the maps really worked out well! The Guards are hilarious, but boy are they aching for just a shred more armor. They were plenty to save the besieged police in Yakeshi though. The Scorpions barely made it there to help, though the bombing run by the Guardians was very helpful.

Found out I made two errors though:
- Bombs are 10 damage each. Whoops. Wouldn't have drastically changed things, since 6 still hit.
- Frag missiles do full damage, as opposed to the damage reduction they otherwise cause. So, each Frag SRM would have killed 4 guys in the open, not 8. Fortunately, this error's effect only really came up the 1 time they hit...

At Genhe, the combined police and militia force hounded the Hermanos as they fled, darting around. Ultimately, they were brought down, though not before wrecking one Urban Enforcer, and damaging two others. Some militia troopers were also wounded or killed. Hopefully some the doctors back at base are able to save some of them, they continue to be a wildly critical asset to the Militia.

State news agencies to pin the damage in those two cities squarely on the Hermanos, make sure to have footage of them shelling a police station. Include the number of Hermanos that were killed, and the number that will be going to trial for their crimes.

I forgot to ask about the GDg vs Protectorate fights: were our Guardians able to help, or did they have to waive off due to presence of credible AA assets, or inability to determine targets with no collateral damage risk?

Near term SOP changes:
- All Scorpions to deploy with Flechette ammo moving forward. 5 damage against infantry, 2 damage against armored targets and building, 10 damage against Woods.
- All Guardians to deploy with Fragmentation SRMs moving forward. 2 damage/missile against infantry, 0 damage against armored and buildings, 4 damage/missile against Woods.

While we will face armored opponents in due time, we will likely face a larger amount of infantry enemies near term.

- Entire Poznan militia to be informed about the following changes in posture:
* Protectorate Guard: our goals are largely aligned. Treat as friendly Civilians; maintain OpSec, but do not needlessly expend their lives when the tactical situation permits.
* Hussars: Possibility of cooperation exists, but is not yet a fact.
* Hermanos: This organization is an enemy to the State. Capture or kill.
* GDG: This organization is an enemy to the State. Capture or kill.

Refraktor: We need to create alternatives to the Hermanos and GDG in those populations, either by propping up an existing organization to act as the representatives of those people, or by creating one from whole cloth. That done, we need to cooperate with the Protectorate to have those new organizations succeed. Success should be possible without being detrimental to the Chinese population.
Hopefully the interrogations will bear fruit on the Hermanos.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 16 January 2018, 16:51:27 »
Procurement question:

What would it take to purchase a lance of Heavy APCs for each Firebase? The ability to be able to deploy one company from each seems invaluable. Job 1 remains manning the fortifications, but even with 1 company mobile, we're in great shape at most locations.

We'd ideally want the Heavy Tracked APC: fast enough, and able to conquer a lot more terrain. At 130,600 C-bills each, a lance would cost 522,400 cbills. Equipping 12 Firebases and the Starport would come to 6,791,200. A lofty goal, but hopefully we can start picking at it. Just getting it at 6 firebases would be a huge boost. (3,134,400)

What are you thinking about with regards to the next session?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #55 on: 16 January 2018, 17:00:49 »
Purchase a heavy APC from where?  They aren't manufactured locally, and the CCAF procurement office takes months to approve toilet paper requisitions, let along new tanks. 

(The campaign is intended to be an exercise in muddling through with - and conserving - what you've got - you want more equipment, get real friendly with one of the ethnic factions and beg for them to loan some gear.  Urban Enforcer IVs would fit your needs, having a squad-sized infantry compartment, but you'd need to provide some hefty security assurances to get the Protectorate to give up their APCs.)

I'll need to do some rolls on the tables to resolve the GDG and Protectorate fights where you just supplied air support, make some map icons for the Protectorate units, and post the updated status maps and spreadsheet, along with a new Mask SitRep and some local news reports summarizing the events of the previous turn.  Hope to have all that out by next weekend, and then we'll do another online strategic turn.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 16 January 2018, 17:07:58 »
Purchase a heavy APC from where?  They aren't manufactured locally, and the CCAF procurement office takes months to approve toilet paper requisitions, let along new tanks. 

(The campaign is intended to be an exercise in muddling through with - and conserving - what you've got - you want more equipment, get real friendly with one of the ethnic factions and beg for them to loan some gear.  Urban Enforcer IVs would fit your needs, having a squad-sized infantry compartment, but you'd need to provide some hefty security assurances to get the Protectorate to give up their APCs.)

Cool, thought I'd bump in to either 3 year delays or budgetary problems or both.

Agree that the UEiv would work, though we'd need 12 of em to move a company of infantry. Still, might be worth starting the conversation; see what it'd take. If they can articulate what they want for it, we can tell them if we can make that happen or not.

I'll need to do some rolls on the tables to resolve the GDG and Protectorate fights where you just supplied air support, make some map icons for the Protectorate units, and post the updated status maps and spreadsheet, along with a new Mask SitRep and some local news reports summarizing the events of the previous turn.  Hope to have all that out by next weekend, and then we'll do another online strategic turn.

Solid, looking forward to it.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 12 March 2018, 17:04:58 »
Le bump

Register