Author Topic: Warhammer 6K vs Avatar OH  (Read 1353 times)

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Warhammer 6K vs Avatar OH
« on: 19 January 2018, 18:12:03 »
So tale of two mechs. What are your thoughts. 

The stats:

Avatar OH: 2x Heavy PPC, 2x MML3 w/Artemis (3t ammo, 2LT, 1RT), 16 DHS, two fixed medium lasers.
Weight: 70t
Movement: 4/6
Engine: XL
Armor: 192pts standard w/CASE
BV2: 1604

Warhammer 8K: 2x Heavy PPC, 1x Streak SRM4 1t ammo (RT), 16 double heat sinks
Weight: 70t
Movement: 4/6
Engine: standard
Armor: 217pts Light FF w/Case
BV2: 1748

So for 150 more BV for the warhammer you get more armour, a non-XL engine, less explody ammo.
But you are giving up some long range damage from MML3s, possibly 2 SRMs at short range, and medium lasers.

So which is better to take if you are BV limited, and tight on BV.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Warhammer 6K vs Avatar OH
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2018, 18:28:47 »
Purely for one battle? I'd go with the Warhammer. Lack of XL means less prone to sudden death, and you've got more armour too
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2018, 19:40:28 »
Unless i had a compelling reason for special ammo or desperately short on BV, I’d take the Warhammer. More armor and a standard engine are good selling points

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2018, 20:07:00 »
An argument in favor of the Avatar is that its lower BV means a cheaper skill upgrade.  And with more firepower, the Avatar benefits more from the skill-up.  Plus it's not wasting a ton on C3.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2018, 21:36:53 »
Thinking as a merc commander I would take the Avatar since it is an omni-mech, and the XL with case means that it will be much less likely to be cored and a total loss. 
Though losing a side and a lot of engine means it will likely be a hanger queen. 
Also the Avatar can carry battle armor with its super omni coolness. 

For a one on one fight A vs W the I would bring down the hammer every time the few extra missiles are not worth the XL in a duel to the death. 

Now if the the Avatar made up the BV points by being allowed to carry battle armor as ablative shielding and deploy them if they got in knife fighting range it would be a much more fair fight.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2018, 21:40:11 »
 #PSo for specialty ammo in that avatar: LRM, srm, inferno? :)

To expand this: 4v4 battle (max 4, less can be taken). One off. 4 mapsheets (2x2).

Opponent could have clan or is tech, limit of 4 units and 8000 bv.

I figure the hammer would be better for this slugfest, especially if they bring clan tech (but will be severely limited by bv)

I'm thinking hammer, assault (xl), a faster heavy (xl), and a fast jumping medium sniper. All with 3/5 pilots, all inner sphere designs.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2018, 21:43:06 by RoundTop »
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2018, 03:09:30 »
Yeah . . . I would have to say you need to bring on that Warhammer- though I think you might be better off with something like the -7A or one of the other ERPPC armed mechs if you expect to face the Clans.  Sure those 15 point hits are nice, but you have to get them in a range they will hit against a faster Clan machine.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2018, 00:49:03 »
One on one, the Warhammer. It's a purpose built bruiser that lives up to the name.

At the same time, the Avatar's biggest benefit is it's flexibility from mission to mission. It can fight like a Warhammer one mission than offer Catapult like fire support the next. The Avatar OH configuration also has just a little more fire power to off set it fragile XL. I would be hesitant to take it out alone but it arguably the better mech to add to a lance.       
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com