Author Topic: Quad-Vees - Good, Bad, or Fugly?  (Read 7744 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Quad-Vees - Good, Bad, or Fugly?
« Reply #60 on: 09 February 2018, 09:43:03 »
As much i would love to see a QuadVee Hover, i think it may tip the scales little bit.  It would be very fast machine.  It could in theory depending it's weight class out run some machines it's size.    I'm not certain QuadVee be allowed to mimic a Super-heavy (Hover) (51 tons or more).  The closest Super-heavy hovercraft i am aware of is the Hexareme which is a 90 tonner, that goes 7/11.
A QuadVee(Hover) booting to 7/11 that's assault class QuadMech in vehicle mode would be pretty amazing.

FYI - Combat Vehicles over the usual 50 tons that are hover go from 51-100 tons are considered to be super-heavy combat vehicles I honestly doubt that a QuadVee would be allowed to be above weight of an standard Assault. 
« Last Edit: 09 February 2018, 12:08:09 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #61 on: 09 February 2018, 11:48:38 »
With 20 different factions, it's hard to really do, but with only the five from the start, the great houses, it could have been plausible. We did see it to some degree in Mech choices by Class and general weapons loadout, but I would have loved to see a bit more on favoring certain unit types over others. Davion, for example, seems to field more conventional forces than most the others. The Mech fits the dueling style of the Dragon. Indirect engagement seems to be the style of the Confederation. Leaving the FWL and Lyrcom as the general grab-bag of open ended choices?

The lyrans seem to favor BIG guns on any/everything. The FWL seems to favor mediocrity. I kid, they seem to favor vehicles and mechs that aren't great on their own, but work very well together. So the teamwork faction I guess.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #62 on: 09 February 2018, 13:06:00 »
So the teamwork faction I guess.

Which makes it all the more ironic that, as a faction, they are known more for their civil wars than their teamwork.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #63 on: 09 February 2018, 14:04:25 »
Which makes it all the more ironic that, as a faction, they are known more for their civil wars than their teamwork.

The FWL makes sure to mount machine guns.... to be turned against the populace in an uprising.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #64 on: 09 February 2018, 15:10:41 »
Why do you think the Cerberus's machine guns are rear-mounted?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #65 on: 09 February 2018, 15:35:51 »
Why do you think the Cerberus's machine guns are rear-mounted?

To discourage tailgaters?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Gus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 09 February 2018, 22:01:24 »
As much i would love to see a QuadVee Hover, i think it may tip the scales little bit.  It would be very fast machine.  It could in theory depending it's weight class out run some machines it's size.    I'm not certain QuadVee be allowed to mimic a Super-heavy (Hover) (51 tons or more).  The closest Super-heavy hovercraft i am aware of is the Hexareme which is a 90 tonner, that goes 7/11.
A QuadVee(Hover) booting to 7/11 that's assault class QuadMech in vehicle mode would be pretty amazing.

FYI - Combat Vehicles over the usual 50 tons that are hover go from 51-100 tons are considered to be super-heavy combat vehicles I honestly doubt that a QuadVee would be allowed to be above weight of an standard Assault.

I'd think that a hover QuadVee should certainly be faster in vehicle mode than a wheeled QuadVee, but the hover equipment should be heavier. For example, let's say our hypothetical hover QuadVee get a +2 bonus to cruising MP in vehicle mode, but the hover equipment weights 20% of the total unit's weight. That means the QuadVee is paying 30% of its total weight simply be a hover QuadVee, which represents a serious penalty to the weapons payload.

I've built a min-maxed 50 ton QuadVee with 6/9 movement, XL engine, endo-steel internal structure and maxed ferro-fibrous armor. If built as a wheeled QuadVee, it gives 9 tons of weapons payload, with a 7/11 movement in vehicle mode. If built as a hover QuadVee as per the hypothesis above, we get 6.5 tons of payload at 8/12 in vehicle mode. That's not a lot of payload for a 50 ton mech, and I'd say a hover vehicle of similar weight would also have more payload. IMHO, I don't think the additional robustness of the hover QuadVee makes up the difference.

Ultimately, I think the writers' intentions were to create a cool unit, not necessarily a good unit. I'd say hover QuadVees firmly sit in the former category!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #67 on: 12 February 2018, 09:19:31 »
Hey could a QuadVee use a battlemech turret?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #68 on: 12 February 2018, 10:03:36 »
Hey could a QuadVee use a battlemech turret?

No, their torso is a turret. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #69 on: 12 February 2018, 10:22:19 »

We heard you like turrets...nope, can't do it. But a turret on a turret would be pretty hilarious.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #70 on: 12 February 2018, 10:44:08 »
We heard you like turrets...nope, can't do it. But a turret on a turret would be pretty hilarious.

Already been done in the real world on some pre-Dreadnaught warships IIRC...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #71 on: 12 February 2018, 19:48:42 »
Already been done in the real world on some pre-Dreadnaught warships IIRC...

Damon.

Yes, and it was found to not be very effective...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #72 on: 13 February 2018, 00:59:34 »
Yes, and it was found to not be very effective...

Ruger

When has inefficiency ever stopped a government from foisting something on their army?
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Gus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 13 February 2018, 04:46:17 »

Why not? The rules explicitly state that QuadVees follow all the same construction rules as four legged mechs, albeit with certain additions that don't forbid quad-mech turrets.

A turret on a QuadVee would potentially improve the field of fire; not all weapons would be forced to fire in the direction of the torso.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #74 on: 13 February 2018, 07:52:56 »
If the rules doesn't spell it out that it can't. Then it can be mounted given space and critical slots to mount it.
The unit so new, it isn't covered. I don't have my IS book handy, but if somewhere says it, its in there.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #75 on: 13 February 2018, 07:54:29 »
I'd say that really they couldn't as their torso acts like a turret, but if the rules don't say then yeah go ahead.  But you still have crit and tonnage issues with Quadvee's and you  wouldn't be making the best use of them by having tonnage sucked up by a turret.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register