Author Topic: The State of Other Mecha Games  (Read 18255 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
The State of Other Mecha Games
« on: 09 February 2018, 00:21:22 »
I'm mostly curious if anyone has been keeping up with other Mecha board and/or card games.

How is CAV doing? Heavy Gear?

Is Mecha Front still putting out minis? Those looked cool.

Anything new?

And, feel free to branch into video games if necessary. Kinda liked the Titans FB game, though I haven't been on there in a while to really mess with it.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: The State of Other Mecha Games
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2018, 00:24:20 »
TAG

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2018, 01:43:26 »
Mekton, long the other, other North American Mecha RPG has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. From 2000-odd till 2012, there were various attempts at reviving the morbiund line that came to nought. Then in 2012, a Kickstarter for a new edition was successfully funded with an estimated elivery date of 2013-2014.

As of November 2017 (last known update) the rules were still being physcally proofred from a printout in a 3-ring binder and the  fluff wasn't even finished. The author admitted that the pagecount had blown out to over a hundred more then original estimates.

So it's safe to say it's going nowhere.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2018, 02:33:47 »
CAV - well Reaper bought up Talon Minis, folded Talon's minis into the CAV lineup, went Bones, the Talon Minis gent became CAVBoss, then Talon bought itself & CAV free. CAV Strike Operations being the current rule incarnation. But it seems more peripheral than BT.

(Gotta love getting the CAV minis in Bones for BT use.)

Heavy gear seems to sit between BT & CAV, activity wise - I gather a new release, and a small hardened fanbase.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2018, 03:43:55 »
Heavy gear has been kick starting updated minis gradually, faction by faction. No major rules changes recently that I know of.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2018, 04:22:37 »
Heavy gear has been kick starting updated minis gradually, faction by faction. No major rules changes recently that I know of.

Heavy Gear Blitz now has a "living rulebook" online which is updated on a semi-regular basis. Records show it was last updated last month.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2018, 21:47:15 »
CAV - well Reaper bought up Talon Minis, folded Talon's minis into the CAV lineup, went Bones, the Talon Minis gent became CAVBoss, then Talon bought itself & CAV free. CAV Strike Operations being the current rule incarnation. But it seems more peripheral than BT.

That was quite the rollercoaster to read through! Glad to hear it's still kicking around out there, even if i wasn't much of a fan of the setting.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2018, 13:33:06 »
A group I played with worked closely with the Mekton author giving him updates and supplied ideas on how to do combat better.  It was fun when i was part of group.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2018, 16:40:35 »
A group I played with worked closely with the Mekton author giving him updates and supplied ideas on how to do combat better.  It was fun when i was part of group.

Good to hear. Mekton's combat system was a mess that didn't work as either a RPG or a wargame. Plus it was stupidly easy to min-max and break to the point of being comical.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2018, 16:55:57 »
Robotech RPG Tactics remains in limbo awaiting Wave 2. due to the fact the original sculptors quit after wave 1 to focus on their comany's own projects, largely, and the fact that Palladium Books is trying to source a more local contract to get wave 2 actually produced, in order to avoid the delay's the Chinese manufacturer gave wave 1.*
however from what i understand they have obtained a new sculptor, who has been refining the models the original ones created for wave 2, in order to improve part count. so the manufacturer issue is the main one that has been hindering progress.

*delay's due to poor communications on the part of the chinese, mostly, plus some issues with international shipping being disrupted by strikes in the US ports. IIRC the company used was the same one that was supposed to produce the Leviathans box sets for catalyst way back when, so you can imagine the kinds of problems PB has had with them.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2018, 18:50:13 »
Wasn't this news in 2016?  From what I've been reading if a Wave 2 happens its only going to appease long suffering backers at best.  Pallidium has done nothing to promote or even placate its dwindling playerbase for the product.

I wouldn't mind getting a few anyways for nostalgia and the fact that it would be the first time for some of the mecha to ever have been released in some form even for Japan.

Robotech RPG Tactics remains in limbo awaiting Wave 2. due to the fact the original sculptors quit after wave 1 to focus on their comany's own projects, largely, and the fact that Palladium Books is trying to source a more local contract to get wave 2 actually produced, in order to avoid the delay's the Chinese manufacturer gave wave 1.*
however from what i understand they have obtained a new sculptor, who has been refining the models the original ones created for wave 2, in order to improve part count. so the manufacturer issue is the main one that has been hindering progress.

*delay's due to poor communications on the part of the chinese, mostly, plus some issues with international shipping being disrupted by strikes in the US ports. IIRC the company used was the same one that was supposed to produce the Leviathans box sets for catalyst way back when, so you can imagine the kinds of problems PB has had with them.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2018, 01:12:26 »
I don[t think anyone believes Tactics wave 2 will ever be released

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2018, 12:51:15 »
Any release schedule provided by Palladium is guaranteed to be a minimum 6 months to 3 years off.  :)) RIFTs Underseas 2 (Lemuria) was finally delivered SIXTEEN YEARS after it was initially scheduled! So yes, you may still see Robotech Wave 2, but how long the wait will be is anyones' guess!

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2018, 13:47:17 »
[copper]
All

This is a Friendly Moderator Reminder to keep conversations civil.  We realize that lots of people are very passionate about a variety of games and franchises, but that is not an excuse to lose your cool with one another. If you have problems with another game or another company, this is not the place to bring them.  We have no interest in stifling discussion, but we will take necessary actions if responses start to get overly confrontational.

Thanks very much.
[copper]
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2018, 08:40:18 »
Not that they were mecha-based games, but both Firestorm Planetfall and Dystopian Wars featured tanks and infantry mixed with mecha; the Dystopian Mechs didn't impress me, but the Planetfall models were pretty cool.  Spartan Games went under but all its IPs were snatched by, I think, Wayland Games, which is going to try to keep those lines alive.  They've already released CAD images for new DW models.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2018, 09:09:26 »
It's Warcradle Studios that has the old Spartan Games IPs. They're planning on integrating Dystopian Wars with their own Wild West Exodus setting.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2018, 12:59:49 »
I knew it started with a W.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2018, 16:20:46 »
I had played Dust before its kickstarter fiasco killed the player base, still go to the webpage every once in a while, they are putting out new minis, though I haven't seen a player in my area for 3 or 4 years. I think Gearkrieg died a while back.

Giant Stompy Robots seem to be taking a back seat to more streamlined rules like Descent/Imperial Assault Type rules, and of course the Forgeworld Titans and 30k Dreadnoughts.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2018, 17:47:12 »
Speaking of 40K, Forge World announced last year that they're rebooting Adeptus Titanicus.  So theres that too.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2018, 09:07:44 »
Iv been enjoying the mech and battle armored infantry in konflikt47.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2018, 16:05:45 »
Iv been enjoying the mech and battle armored infantry in konflikt47.
What in the world is konflikt47?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #21 on: 14 February 2018, 16:24:45 »

It's an alternate history WW2 miniatures game from Warlord Games.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #22 on: 14 February 2018, 19:01:28 »
Not that they were mecha-based games, but both Firestorm Planetfall and Dystopian Wars featured tanks and infantry mixed with mecha; the Dystopian Mechs didn't impress me, but the Planetfall models were pretty cool.  Spartan Games went under but all its IPs were snatched by, I think, Wayland Games, which is going to try to keep those lines alive.  They've already released CAD images for new DW models.

I just looked up the Firestorm Planetfall, and I admit that I like the style of the Terran Marines, since they very much remind me of the Starcraft ones. I've been looking for proxies near the right scale for those.

Do you know how the game plays?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 February 2018, 20:22:36 »
Any release schedule provided by Palladium is guaranteed to be a minimum 6 months to 3 years off.  :)) RIFTs Underseas 2 (Lemuria) was finally delivered SIXTEEN YEARS after it was initially scheduled! So yes, you may still see Robotech Wave 2, but how long the wait will be is anyones' guess!

thank you for pointing this out.. i have a hard time delivering it calmly, after the extreme and unfounded negativity over RTT spilled over to my Friend's Rifts boardgame kickstarter, and the constant hounding caused him to try and commit suicide. thankfully his wife found him before he bled out, and was able to get him to the hospital in time.

but palladium is a small company.. it is literally about half a dozen people with an office in a warehouse. they aren't like TSR, Wizards of the Coast, or the other massive gaming giants. everyone there has at least half a dozen hats, if not more. they rely on freelancers to write their books nowadays, which tends to be slow, and when you have a dozen projects to juggle plus all the day to day paperwork of running a company to handle, editing and getting it out to print is slow too. especially when several of those book projects require everything be sent past Harmony's Gold's lawyers and review team first, and might end up needing to be massively rewitten.

as far as RTT goes, it has al lthat, and the fact that Palladium is not a miniatures company. their only forays into minis in the past were some rifts ones from the early days of rifts.. and those were basically a mini's company coming to them and saying "we want to make minis off your books, is that Ok?"
RTT is being handled by PB itself, and they have done an amazing job with it content wise so far, considering they didn't really know what they were doing when they started. Wave 2 is on hold because their previous partner who had doen the Computer modelling and all the work on turning those 3D models into Sprue designs (Ninja Division) not only failed to communicate well during the wave 1 work (resulting in poorly designed sprues with way too many fiddly parts) but also literally bailed on them before much of any work was done for wave 2. they have replaced them since with a new modeller, but their contracts with the chinese company making the parts was just as problematic (it was the same company that caused so much mess for CGL's Leviathans game, to give you and idea), as was the shipping issues from china (schedule issues getting it on the boat, and then they got hit by a dock workers strike), so they are now trying to find a more local producer to handled wave 2. and as anyone who has worked in business will tell you, locating potential partners, researching them, approaching them, arranging meeting,s and hashing out offers is not a fast process.. especially if you want to avoid getting stuck in a bad deal or even being scammed. add in the fact that PB does not have a dedicated legal team for this, and has to slot this stuff into their already fairly full schedules, and you can imagine it is going to take awhile. and since such discussions are always confidential and backed by NDA's, PB can't go around telling people the identities of the companies they are talking to or any details of the discussions.

i have no doubt that they will deliver on wave 2. i've seen the 3D models for the figures in it (as have all the other people who still get their updates.. many just ignore that), and from what i've heard from my friends that work there, most of the design work for the Sprues and such are done. all that is left is getting that manufacturer and getting the molds made. so it might take a bit, but once it is done we should see rapid progress.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2018, 20:51:28 »
I just looked up the Firestorm Planetfall, and I admit that I like the style of the Terran Marines, since they very much remind me of the Starcraft ones. I've been looking for proxies near the right scale for those.

Do you know how the game plays?

I've never played it, but it uses the same general mechanic as the rest of Spartan's games, and I played a couple of those.  Its a UGOIGO by unit (rather than all me, all you) system that uses big dice pools of D6s, exploding 6's, and because damage is caused by tallying hits vs a fixed threshold -- rather than using a strength vs toughness/armor system -- then any unit could potentially damage any other unit.  Overall, I had very positive experiences with Spartan's games -- I played Firestorm Armada and Dystopian Wars, and wanted to play Planetfall and Dystopian Legions -- and normally I would recommend them to anyone.  The problem with Spartan's properties is that, at least in the US, they were never able to grow a large community.  I tried at three different game stores to build communities to no avail for various reasons.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2018, 21:05:09 »
thank you for pointing this out.. i have a hard time delivering it calmly, after the extreme and unfounded negativity over RTT spilled over to my Friend's Rifts boardgame kickstarter, and the constant hounding caused him to try and commit suicide. thankfully his wife found him before he bled out, and was able to get him to the hospital in time.

Holy crap! I wasn't aware that had happened to Carmen! I hope he is okay!

but palladium is a small company.. it is literally about half a dozen people with an office in a warehouse.

I've rolled my eyes at Palladium's production hang-ups in the past, mostly because I think Kevin regularly oversells the company's capabilities in public, but I still think they're one of the most creative teams in the industry!  I love the product, & when Kevin publicly asked for help because he got screwed over by a business partner I happily sent him a check, and I'd do so again in a heartbeat!

I just think it's best to keep everyone's expectations realistic - Palladium is not fast. They have never been fast. I very much doubt they ever will be fast. The product is a blast to play, and their prices are probably the best in the RPG industry. They've been in the business forever so there's a huge selection of back product to buy, but you are only going to be looking at a half-dozen new releases per year, regardless of whatever the ideal release schedule proposed on the website will be. I'd be thrilled if 2018 is the year Kevin Siembieda proves me wrong, but even if he doesn't, I'll still be buying his work because it's always fun & unique no matter how long I wait!  ;)
« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 00:18:09 by MadCapellan »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2018, 21:36:47 »
Holy crap! I wasn't aware that had happened to Carmen! I hope he is okay!
last i heard he's fine, but he's been avoiding social media type stuff since. can't blame him.

he still has plans to do the Rifts Boardgame, he's just not gonna kickstarter it until he's at the point he just needs the funds to get production done. which sadly probably means "before the end of the next decade. maybe" since his start up company is very limited budget
« Last Edit: 14 February 2018, 21:41:42 by glitterboy2098 »

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #27 on: 15 February 2018, 09:40:27 »

Its a splinter game of Bolt Action, a fun ww2 minis game. Basically its their take on weird war. They're constantly coming out with new stuff including new books which continue the war. Staff is very active on their facebook page and are always open to suggestions or listening in (one player got them to add war dogs)  the next supplement book is defiance which will focus on the italians civil war.
 So far i have a Japanese and a Finnish army, the Japanese exosuits are a lot of fun and look cool.
  Ill admit i thimk the multi leg "Walkers" look ugly, but the americans have a lot of tasty bipedals and the germans are getting a bipedal that looks aaaawesome and rocks a nebelwerfer. Lots.of land lease going on so you see american walker/variants in the allies ranks.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #28 on: 15 February 2018, 12:12:18 »
How big are the walker & armoured suit minis? Adaptable to CBT? :D

W
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2018, 12:32:34 »
How big are the walker & armoured suit minis? Adaptable to CBT? :D

W

28mm for infantry, so protomechs?

Register