Author Topic: NEWS: Passing of Victor Milan - *UPDATED*  (Read 7406 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
NEWS: Passing of Victor Milan - *UPDATED*
« on: 14 February 2018, 09:53:40 »
Author Victor Milan passed away Feb. 13 in Albuquerque, N.M. following a short battle with cancer, his friends and fellow writers confirmed. He was 63.

Milan is best remembered by BattleTech fans as the author of three novels featuring the Camacho’s Caballeros mercenary unit, “Close Quarters,” “Hearts of Chaos,” and “Black Dragon” as well as the short stories “Callie’s Call” and "Ozymandias." He also penned a pair of Mechwarrior: Dark Age novels, “Flight of the Falcon” and “A Rending of Falcons.”

"News of Vic's passing really made my head spin this morning," BattleTech Line Developer Brent Evans said. "Victor was BattleTech family, and I always felt his contributions to the universe were huge. He had a way of bringing characters and conflicts to life that really resonated with the reader. I loved the variety of the Caballeros, the savagery of the Falcon books, and the voices he crafted for all those wonderfully flawed characters. In a universe of titans, he was one of the greats."

BattleTech Fiction Director John Helfers likewise praised Milan’s contributions to BattleTech, adding that plans are developing to release Milan’s partially-completed final BattleTech novel, the previously announced “Case White.”

“When we relaunched the BattleTech fiction line, there were only a few names on my list for previous authors I wanted to bring back into the fold,” Helfers said. "Victor’s was near the very top. Although I knew him primarily through other IPs, the palpable fan reaction to the announcement of his return to BT fiction made me realize that we were doing something very special with him, and his excitement at revisiting the BT universe was just as great.

“Sadly, Victor passed away before he could finish his take on ‘Case White,’ which I’m sure would have been incredible. We have a partial manuscript in hand, however, and after a re-evaluation of the situation, I plan to take steps to have it completed by another author so we can bring Victor’s last BattleTech story to the fans. I just wish I could have helped him shepherd the rest of the novel to completion. And unfortunately, we will also have no more BattleTech stories from one of the true masters of the BT universe. R.I.P. Victor."

A prolific author with approximately 100 novels and numerous short stories to his name, he won the Prometheus Award in 1986 for “Cybernetic Samurai,” and was a central contributor to the long-running “Wild Cards” shared universe. More recently, he gained recognition for his series “The Dinosaur Lords.”

A Twitter post by James S.A. Corey, the pen name of "The Expanse" authors Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham, attributed Milan’s death to a “short but tough fight with cancer.”

In a blog post, George R.R. Martin remembered Milan’s “warmth, his wit, and his talent,” and credited him with being a key force in the creation of “Wild Cards.”

“In a sense he was the father of Wild Cards,” Martin wrote. “It was Vic who gave me the Superworld game as a birthday present back in 1983, and it was those long long nights of playing Superworld that eventually inspired me to start Wild Cards. Vic was an integral part of the series right from the very start, and the characters he created were among our most popular.”

Catalyst Game Labs joins BattleTech fans worldwide in sending condolences to Victor’s family, friends, and loved ones.

Link: http://bg.battletech.com/news/passing-of-victor-milan/

« Last Edit: 17 February 2018, 13:11:56 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: NEWS: Passing of Victor Milan
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2018, 10:00:28 »

Seyla
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2018, 10:05:00 »
So very sad. RIP!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2018, 10:06:53 »
Just saw it earlier. RIP.  :'(
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2018, 10:07:06 »
DAMN IT.

He is my favourite Btech author bar none.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2018, 10:42:42 »
Coincidentally, one of my best friends passed away yesterday, from cancer as well. Not a good day.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2018, 11:11:34 »
RIP  :(
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2018, 11:25:56 »
And if, like me, you are a big fan of the Wild Cards series, he has a short story published today at Tor.com:

Evernight by Victor Milán

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2018, 11:30:08 »
Very cool of the folks at Tor. RIP, Mr. Milan. Cassie Suthorn forever lives in my heart as my favorite character of your creation.

RIP
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2018, 11:33:58 »
Tragic news, I love this guy's work! think i still have black dragon, guess i'm rereading that in a bit.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2018, 11:54:16 »
And if, like me, you are a big fan of the Wild Cards series, he has a short story published today at Tor.com:

Evernight by Victor Milán
Thanks. I reached as far as Fort Freak. Didn't know Milan's character was Capt Trips.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2018, 12:24:14 »
May eternal rest be granted to him, and may perpetual light shine upon him. :(

Brent Evans

• Señor oscuro
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2018, 14:24:09 »
Ah man, another of the brotherhood of BattleTech has fallen.  I always felt that Vic Milan was a creative titan, and his contributions to the universe were truly exceptional.  I loved the unusual place in the IP that the Caballeros held, the savagery of the Falcon books, and Vic's voice for all those wonderfully flawed characters resounded with me.  He was one of the greats in my book.

Rest well, Vic.

Brent

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2018, 17:14:31 »
He was one of the best.  He will be missed.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
Re: NEWS: Passing of Victor Milan - *UPDATED*
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2018, 20:02:57 »
The original post has been updated with comments from Brent Evans and John Helfers.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2018, 22:22:32 »
Very sad news. Milan was one of my favourite BT authors.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2018, 02:05:54 »
I feel like Milan was frankly just the inarguable best of the BT fiction authors, and hearing he's passed is a damn shame. Rest in peace, good sir. You made the world better to live in.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2018, 02:57:06 »
Very sad to hear this, was one of the best writers to grace the BT universe
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2018, 05:26:59 »
Thank you for your service.

Selya.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Tizona

• Sergeant
  • Caput Castellae
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2018, 15:56:39 »
Sad news indeed.
Reading the Camacho's Caballeros series for the first time was absolutely refreshing for me.

RIP

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2018, 16:33:43 »
Those looking for more of Milan's BattleTech work can find it in the "25 Years of Art and Fiction" collection, for which he wrote "Ozymandias."

He will be missed.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2018, 16:44:22 »
Those looking for more of Milan's BattleTech work can find it in the "25 Years of Art and Fiction" collection, for which he wrote "Ozymandias."

Ah! When I was writing this obit, I knew there was another story of his out there, but I couldn't for the life of me recall what it was. Thanks for including it here!

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2018, 17:02:29 »
"We meet 'neath the sounding rafter..."

I enjoyed his work long before I read *Close Quarters,* and then he became my favorite BattleTech author.  I will read his books again, I will change my signature, and I will raise a glass of really good rye whiskey to him tonight. 

He did good work, and there are few better epithets than that. But I will miss knowing he is in the world. 

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2018, 18:15:23 »
Aw, man that's too bad. I could always count on his stuff to show me something new in the BTU
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2018, 14:24:28 »
Very sad news. He wrote BattleTech with such a cinematic flair. I really enjoyed his work. He will be missed.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2018, 18:52:32 »
 :(

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2018, 08:22:00 »
With every author, musician, filmmaker, or other figure who passes, we lose another strand of our link to the time when creatives were truly creative, before our current era of sequels and reboots.
Thank you victor, may your words echo for many years after your voice fades.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2018, 15:57:06 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2018, 21:39:10 »
Utterly sad. He was one who wrote his books made them lively, not too dark. His books with Camacho's Caballeros were fun. It sad to seem leave us too soon.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Showers

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 01 March 2018, 18:42:49 »
One of the best authors of Battletech fiction. He created some of the most interesting characters. I really feel for his family. He died way too young.