Author Topic: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!  (Read 85904 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!
« Reply #60 on: 14 December 2011, 13:37:43 »
 [whipit]
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 22 December 2011, 23:30:58 »
What's the Laser Carrier mentioned in the CCAF booklet? The MUL entry for it has no useful infomation: http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/1861 and Sarna has even less to say, the only thing I can find on the boards is a breif mention to it being a LRM Carrier variant here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,5667.msg126785.html#msg126785

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #62 on: 23 December 2011, 00:04:00 »
Odd Sarna doesn't have it (quick fix coming up?). It's from a mention in TRO 3026, specifically:

Though other types of support units do exist, including AC/2 and laser carriers, they are far from being as effective as missile carriers.

From memory, the laser version carries 2xLL, 4xSL, 20 heat sinks, and power amplifiers. The AC-2 carrier carries 4 or 5 AC-2s, and a good pile of ammo - it's acceptable AA for the 3025-3039 era, but unfortunately probably isn't worth devoting 60 tons of your force for.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 23 December 2011, 00:13:17 »
And the Laser Carrier is in RS 3039 unabridged.  But Worktroll gave the entirety of the fluff on it.  LRM Carrier with lasers instead of LRMs.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 10 January 2012, 20:11:35 »
These are excellent!!!  Thank you for your efforts!  Three cheers for the Worktroll!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 10 January 2012, 20:59:49 »
And you're very welcome. Unfortunately some official CGL stuff is occupying my available time at the moment, preventing me from moving further with these - but never say never!

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 14 January 2012, 21:03:09 »
WOW!! Just found these.  They are amazing! Truly a great piece of work.  Is there a possibility of a periphery one?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 15 January 2012, 06:13:20 »
WOW!! Just found these.  They are amazing! Truly a great piece of work.  Is there a possibility of a periphery one?

Worktroll has plans to do periphery and mercenary ones when his workload with CGL allows.

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 15 January 2012, 06:34:49 »
I must say I have found these 'books' very, very useful in setting up games,  O0

Are they classed as Official (canon) or Fandom ? IMHO they should be Canon if they are not already  O:-) .

Dave.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #69 on: 15 January 2012, 09:40:08 »
...'Fanon', most likely.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 15 January 2012, 09:51:37 »
I must say I have found these 'books' very, very useful in setting up games,  O0

Are they classed as Official (canon) or Fandom ? IMHO they should be Canon if they are not already  O:-) .

Dave.

Books are non-canon, but the content comes from canon FASA publications (House sourcebooks).

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 21 January 2012, 17:53:52 »
I just found out about these files; the one for the FWL is appreciated, thank you. I look forward to seeing what the Periphery one might look like. (Is your intent to cover only the near periphery realms, like the Magistracy of Canopus and the Taurian Concordat, or would you want to cover the likes of the Hansa and Nueva Castile also?)

As an aside, is there enough material in print to support an equivalent "3025 as seen in Clanspace" document, or would that have to wait for a future era digest set in the pre-Invasion period to be viable? (At present, there seems to be a gap between the end of Era Digest: Golden Century and the details of REVIVAL covered in Era Report: 3052, in terms of specific coverage of the Homeworld goings-on.)

While the Pentagon Worlds and Kerensky Cluster were still unknowns in the Inner Sphere (unless you were a Dragoon in the know), there would still be scope for no end of Trials between rival Clans; or operations against Bandit Caste raiders, for that matter. (It could be a way of introducing new players to Clantech, and to key concepts like Zellbrigen, before unleashing them on their eventual Spheroid foes.)
« Last Edit: 21 January 2012, 17:56:22 by Nerroth »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 21 January 2012, 21:33:46 »
Nerroth, thanks for your kind words!

The Periphery one will amost certainly concentrate on the main, hence inner, periphery states. THe Nueva Castillians and Hansa make little impact on the 3025 era. Likewise, the merc one, whenever I get to it, will concentrate on major mercenaries - although I may pass on the uber-mercs, those that have books about them (albeit these days only in PDF) in favour of some of the lesser-known; we'll have to wait and see.

As for ClanSpace - remember, these are all made by mining existing documents. My starting point was "there's all this lovely stuff, almost 30 years worth, but what would a new player need to get a force to play with up & going ?" Hence the potted history & personality, the RATs and available equipment lists, and scenario ideas. There's simply no documentation to mine - and if I did have access to any, it'd have been under NDA and I wouldn't have been able to use it.

Cheers,

W.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 22 January 2012, 13:57:09 »
These are fantastic!! I hope that the site will have an official announcement when the next one comes out. These are perfect for beginning players. Just enough to set the hook. Thank you for all your hard work. Off to read them all.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 22 January 2012, 22:28:52 »
The Periphery one will amost certainly concentrate on the main, hence inner, periphery states. THe Nueva Castillians and Hansa make little impact on the 3025 era. Likewise, the merc one, whenever I get to it, will concentrate on major mercenaries - although I may pass on the uber-mercs, those that have books about them (albeit these days only in PDF) in favour of some of the lesser-known; we'll have to wait and see.

Understood; though I always like to see more on the Hansa in particular, the near Periphery would be more than welcome even so.

As for ClanSpace - remember, these are all made by mining existing documents. My starting point was "there's all this lovely stuff, almost 30 years worth, but what would a new player need to get a force to play with up & going ?" Hence the potted history & personality, the RATs and available equipment lists, and scenario ideas. There's simply no documentation to mine - and if I did have access to any, it'd have been under NDA and I wouldn't have been able to use it.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 24 January 2012, 00:19:27 »

The Periphery one will amost certainly concentrate on the main, hence inner, periphery states. THe Nueva Castillians and Hansa make little impact on the 3025 era.

but you will still make a quick mention of the smaller periphery states, yes?

even if it just to change their entries from "Harmless" to "Mostly Harmless" ?

:)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

lexington476

• Sergeant
  • PXH-7K
« Reply #76 on: 30 January 2012, 19:50:23 »
...pass on the uber-mercs, those that have books about them (albeit these days only in PDF) in favour of some of the lesser-known...

}:)...the Crescent Hawk's... O:-)

lexington476

• Sergeant
  • PXH-7K
« Reply #77 on: 30 January 2012, 19:51:43 »
...oh, and I love the Army Reports!

SLDF_Gunslinger

• Corporal
« Reply #78 on: 23 February 2012, 17:46:00 »
And now, I patiently await the ComStar Army Report.  ::)

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #79 on: 23 February 2012, 18:07:19 »
And now, I patiently await the ComStar Army Report.  ::)

3025...ther is no "ComStar Army" except ome infantry and a few vehicles at each facility, and a contracted merc unit
of 'mechs at the more important ones ;)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

monty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #80 on: 24 February 2012, 06:54:45 »
A great series of articles.  O0 Thanks for all the work you've put into them. Looking forward to the next one.

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
« Reply #81 on: 04 March 2012, 20:50:57 »
Amazing work. This is better than a some of the stuff i've paid for for other games.
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

"Against the Clans" Against the Bot ruleset for Clan campaigns project thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39685.0.html

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #82 on: 10 March 2012, 18:56:24 »
Saved on my PC,thank a lot! O0

Tkaz84

• Recruit
« Reply #83 on: 01 April 2012, 12:43:17 »
Thanks so much for this!!!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 11 June 2012, 21:03:56 »
Do you intend to pursue additional Army Reports for other time periods and/or factions?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 11 June 2012, 21:31:01 »
I've always intended to do Army Reports for the Periphery, Mercs, and ComStar (the last being a joke product with every page marked "REDACTED" probably ;) ). There seems little point in doing later eras, as the Field Manuals tend to cover the same territory in greater detail.

There's also the intent that the Army Reports are meant to be introductory items. Going past (say) 3039, you run into the Clans, tech increase, etc etc. That's why I set them in 3025 - simple rules levels, the base Inner Sphere history, enough to whet your interest and give new players, particularly from other more structured-faction games, somewhere to stand.

W.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 11 June 2012, 21:33:10 »
What about in the opposite direction? :D

Army Reports: 2750 sounds like it'd be fun.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 11 June 2012, 21:42:27 »
To date? Lack of appropriate source material. Remember, I never claimed them as original work - just a "Reader's Digest" version of the old House Books :)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 12 June 2012, 03:33:20 »
What about an update for 3039? Or is that better covered by other books? A post 4SW may also be good, I think the materials that covered what happened in the 4SW are out print.

katya_Kerensky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: 22 June 2012, 03:23:22 »
I have to say GREAT i love these pdf's big help to my newer players.   

"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."
City Fighting-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20092.0.html
Sword of Light-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18206.msg416054.html#msg416054
Lyran Guards-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18212.msg411418.html#msg411418
3rd Edition love-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18214.0.html