Author Topic: MWDA novels for Kindle  (Read 2222 times)

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
MWDA novels for Kindle
« on: 15 March 2012, 16:12:09 »
I have a handful of the MWDA novels I bought years ago from a used book store; I'm finally getting around to reading them.  I was considering getting the rest of them in Kindle format.

I've read rather unflattering reviews of the non-MWDA novels re: their transfer to electronic format; any here have experience with the MWDA novels in e-pub?  Do they suffer from the same quality concerns (sloppy/poor OCR, mostly)?

bytor

• Lieutenant
Re: MWDA novels for Kindle
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2012, 22:22:07 »
I haven't, but the MWDA novels were all published by ROC, so perhaps they might be ok?  You can send a free sample to your kindle for the book that you want, if there are any glaring issues with it, then you'll most likely see them in the sample.

There have been some issues with the CGL epubs, but I think they have gotten way better over time.  Before they had to pull them down, the last couple that I picked up looks pretty good.  There were still errors, but I've seen more errors in ebooks from big publishing companies.  Perhaps when they get the go ahead to put them back online they'll give them an edit before they do. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: MWDA novels for Kindle
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2012, 05:22:02 »
The early CGL epubs were specifically labelled as EARCs - Electronic Advanced Reading Copies. Basically pre-final-proof copies. There are usually some issues with EARCs, whether published by CGL, Baen, or other companies. The issues may (or may not; I have no privileged information here) be related to getting published versions to go online.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"