Author Topic: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)  (Read 44846 times)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« Reply #90 on: 25 March 2017, 20:45:05 »
Well, I finished Leviathan Wakes and am now into Caliban's War just past where it matches up with last week's episode (where they snuck into Ganymede). I definitely like the books more than the show, but I still like the show a lot.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 26 March 2017, 11:36:16 »
SyFy getting back to Sci Fi?!?!?  whats next?  History Channel channel actually doing something history related?
no going to happen...its the aliens that schedual and make the program choices for them after all...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 30 March 2017, 16:07:09 »
Finished Caliban's War, and after this week's episode, I'm almost regretting reading the novels. The changes were ok when I saw them on the screen first and then read the novel, but now that I'm ahead of the show some of the changes are pretty annoying.  ::)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #93 on: 09 April 2017, 00:07:18 »
Noooooooooo...I'm not ready for the season to end yet. :'(

Just finished watching "Cascade" and "Here There be Dragons". Considering that the first season only had 10 episodes I was expecting "Cascade" to be the season finale. Glad it wasn't. Looks like there are still two more episodes left: "The Monster and the Rocket" and "Caliban's War".

As for the episodes themselves...wow, the last two have been absolute rollercoaster rides. Feel like I'm getting whiplash. :D
I really like how, even though there are a lot of characters to follow, everyone feels like they get considerable screen time every episode. That's quite a feat.

At least we will be getting a third season...but, waiting a whole year is going to suck. (Yeah, I know, could read the books...but don't want to go into it more concerned about the changes from the books like Cache.)

So, I'm curious, in the books is Sadavir Errinwright more fleshed out? From the early episodes he's been kind of framed as a baddie, but the last few have shown him a tiny bit more sympathetic. Is there more too him in the books?

(EDIT: Just stumbled across these...don't have a 3D Printer, but I figured anyone out there that does, might like to make they're own models of the ships. ;D
http://www.thingiverse.com/Syfy/collections/the-expanse/page:1)
« Last Edit: 09 April 2017, 00:11:13 by YingJanshi »

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #94 on: 09 April 2017, 04:02:55 »
Errinwright is far more of a character in the show than the books.  Apparently Shawn Doyle has impressed the producers to the point that they've expanded his role between series 1 and 2.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 09 April 2017, 07:25:55 »
Errinwright is far more of a character in the show than the books.  Apparently Shawn Doyle has impressed the producers to the point that they've expanded his role between series 1 and 2.
That's because Shawn Doyle is awesome. I've loved his work since seeing him in the series, Endgame.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 13 April 2017, 22:56:58 »
So..."The Monster and the Rocket"...thoughts?

Mr. Doyle is certainly grabbing some big scenes in this one.
Also, will we be seeing two divergent evolutions of the Protomolecule: ie Venus and Ganymede flavors?
And anyone else think Madame Secretary's bodyguard/Intel officer seems really cool? Would make a cool buddy-cop sort of plotline with Gunny.

Oh, one other thing: the pilot of the Weeping Somnambulist was played by Peter Williams; otherwise known as "Apophis" on Stargate SG-1.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 14 April 2017, 10:47:16 »
(Yeah, I know, could read the books...but don't want to go into it more concerned about the changes from the books like Cache.)
Don't let my whining stop you from enjoying the books. ;) The TV series is past Leviathan Wakes, so you're safe with that one.  The more I think about the reasons for the changes, the easier it is to get over myself. I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead (series and comics) and the series makes huge changes as well. One thing it seems both series have in common is that they interchange the roles of characters from print, just to keep us guessing. For example, in TWD, TV Michonne has taken the role comic Andrea plays while TV Carol has taken over comic Michonne's role. TV Andrea has taken over comic Carol's role--neither survived the prison "era". TV Sasha took over comic Holly's role, etc... etc.

I am getting the feeling that TV Errinwright is taking over novel Jules-Pierre Mao's role going forward.

Also, will we be seeing two divergent evolutions of the Protomolecule: ie Venus and Ganymede flavors?
I was wondering about that. Looks like the Rosi picked up Gollum.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 20 April 2017, 20:11:35 »
Man... season 3 in 2018 ? That's a while.

Also, RIP Adam Savage.  ;D

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #99 on: 20 April 2017, 23:59:10 »
Man... season 3 in 2018 ? That's a while.

It's just next year.  While series 1 kicked off in December 2015, it was February this year when series 2 launched.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 21 April 2017, 16:02:03 »
It's just next year.  While series 1 kicked off in December 2015, it was February this year when series 2 launched.
Three months on, nine off is bad. I guess there's something to be said for mid-season breaks filled with re-runs... old school style.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #101 on: 21 April 2017, 16:06:37 »
Three months on, nine off is bad. I guess there's something to be said for mid-season breaks filled with re-runs... old school style.

I'd imagine the low episode count is because of how expensive they are to make.

Anyway, it seems like most shows are going that route. Seems like most shows I watch anymore never go over 13 eps a year.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #102 on: 21 April 2017, 17:23:33 »

Most prestige dramas have similar or shorter episode counts.  The last two series of Game of Thrones are going to have 8 episodes each, for example.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 21 April 2017, 17:30:22 »
Or could be like Sherlock, where you were lucky to get 3 episodes every couple of years... :D

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #104 on: 24 August 2017, 20:18:17 »
Is it February yet? :(

And does anyone else think it would be cool to have a wargame based off of the series? (Well...you can already get files for 3D prints of several of the ships off the SciFi website...)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #105 on: 25 August 2017, 00:56:22 »
Still waiting for Season 2 to land on Netflix here in Aus :'(

Need to get CGL to dust off Battlespace, "Alpha Strike" it to make it play faster and then make a "The Expanse" version to pitch . . .  >:D
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #106 on: 25 August 2017, 01:14:44 »
Still waiting for Season 2 to land on Netflix here in Aus :'(

Apparently it's hitting Netflix in Europe in September, so should hopefully get to Oz at the same time

Need to get CGL to dust off Battlespace, "Alpha Strike" it to make it play faster and then make a "The Expanse" version to pitch . . .  >:D

There's already alpha strike space combat rules in the Alpha Strike Companion...

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #107 on: 25 August 2017, 05:30:10 »
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I will just have to patiently wait until September for Season 2 and get around to reading Alpha Strike Companion (which means that CGL really has no excuse not to be pitching to SyFy . . .  >:D )

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #108 on: 31 August 2017, 07:42:06 »
Got a notification that The Expanse Season 2 will be available on Netflix here in Aus on 08 Sep.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #109 on: 08 September 2017, 15:58:26 »
And series 2 has hit Netflix outside the US and Canada

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #110 on: 08 September 2017, 18:07:29 »
I just wish I could find the first season on DVD in local stores...based on what happened with that one, I went ahead and got season 2 before it disappeared (although I didn't like paying $30 for it)...

Have had the same issues with the first two seasons of Killjoys and Dark Matter...waited for them to come down in price, and now can't find them in stores...guess will have to order...

Really irritated though that Syfy has cancelled Dark Matter...guess we're down to just The Expanse and Killjoys now...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 09 September 2017, 12:08:06 »
Rewatched both seasons with my dad. He enjoyed I think. (I was surprised just how many little bits of foreshadowing the was in the first season: little background stuff.)

One thing I am curious about though: is that I've heard that all of the characters are pretty close to how they are in the books (well, Avasarala should swear more) except for Amos. So just how different is "book Amos" from "tv Amos"?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #112 on: 09 September 2017, 12:20:09 »
TV Amos expresses more emotion. He also isn't as physically imposing, but I get what they were going for. He has to be more expressive on TV because it's a visual medium, so I've grown to forgive that as well.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #113 on: 09 September 2017, 13:11:00 »
Watching Season 2 on Netflix the Rocinate is one cool ship in season one there was a touch of what it could do but in Season 2 a lot more fun.

I like the introduction of the Martian marines too seeing their perspective the opening ground "battle" was fun too
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 10 September 2017, 11:24:41 »
TV Amos expresses more emotion. He also isn't as physically imposing, but I get what they were going for. He has to be more expressive on TV because it's a visual medium, so I've grown to forgive that as well.
He's also "prettier" on TV than he is described as in the books (stocky and receding hair)... but that's the visual medium thing as well.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #115 on: 09 November 2017, 18:25:11 »
Cool news!! There is an Expanse tabletop RPG in the works! Yay!

https://greenronin.com/blog/2017/08/17/press-release-green-ronin-to-publish-the-expanse-rpg/
(Yeah I know, it's a bit late, but I just now stumbled upon the news.)

[Caveat: It's going to be done by Green Ronin Publishing. So if the way they've handled their other licensed games is any indication: get ready for some G. R. R. Martin levels of waiting between releases (if we're lucky). They've had the license for Dragon Age tabletop RPG since 2010 and they've done jack all with it (no, seriously: they've released two editions of the rulebook, a GM screen, 1 adventure & 3 or 4 mini little pdf things in 7 YEARS), so I'll admit to not being a fan of theirs.]

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #116 on: 09 November 2017, 18:43:22 »
Do they even have the license for Dragon Age anymore?  It's been long enough that it may have expired by now.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 09 November 2017, 19:12:50 »
Do they even have the license for Dragon Age anymore?  It's been long enough that it may have expired by now.

No, they still have it. They put out a really expensive corebook last year (basically a repackaging job) or the year before. They keep teasing new products but they haven't released them yet. (Sorry if I came across a bit peeved, but DA is one of my favorite franchises and it's frustrating to see it not getting any support.)

Anyway, back to The Expanse: what would you guys like to see in an RPG based on it?
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 17:00:52 by YingJanshi »

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #118 on: 04 February 2018, 00:20:53 »
Well that sucks. :(

Last I'd heard it was going to be a February date for the beginning of the the third season. But on just checking it appears it's going to be much later: the only date I found, unconfirmed at this time at least, is on the 6th of June.

(Man, all the best shows are killing me by making me wait so long...)

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #119 on: 04 February 2018, 03:46:02 »
I've only just recently read Leviathan Wakes, and watched fragments from the show.

The one difference that struck me most was the Protomolecule depiction.
In the show, it't somehow too... clean, with the blue colors and lights making it feel less organic and by extension, a bit less threatening. Whereas in the book, it was a gory, repulsive mutant horror crossover between the Zerg and Giger's Alien in brown, red and black hues, described as smelling like an unflushed toilet. Very organic. Extremely gross. The Eros sequence omitted the entire gruelling zombie apocalypse from the book.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins