Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 161697 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Don't you threaten me, Ogre!  :))

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2017, 11:54:17 »
Now now, we can have an Anime thread and a Full Metal Panic thread.  Though, really not much FMP info to talk about yet.  Gonna go watch my copy of "Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky" that showed up this morning.  Animation looks great, now to see how the rest turned out.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2017, 12:04:31 »
Yeah, FMP was originally slated for this fall before it got kicked down the lane. I believe they tapped Xebec as the animator?

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2017, 16:15:28 »

I really need to watch Full Metal Panic:  The Second Raid.  Enjoyed the first series.

Oh and the for the first time in my (very short) time as an anime watcher I've hit a series I started but will not finish.  Hetalia: Axis Powers  Watched the first season and it just didn't appeal at all...  :(
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2017, 16:31:30 »
I really need to watch Full Metal Panic:  The Second Raid.  Enjoyed the first series.

It's good.  It gets dark more often than the last original series and there isn't as much comedy.  It doesn't get as dark as the original did though(The nuke recovery mission comes to mind), but it does get pretty intense toward the end.  If there is more FMP coming, I'm really looking forward to it.

Check out Full Metal Panic? if you haven't yet.  Laugh riot.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2017, 16:42:56 »
Oh and the for the first time in my (very short) time as an anime watcher I've hit a series I started but will not finish.  Hetalia: Axis Powers  Watched the first season and it just didn't appeal at all...  :(

Hetalia started out as a very clever web comic intended to interest girls in world history & it has a good number of great skits about various historical events, but between the ever increasing focus on fan slash pandering & Studio DEEN's complete inability to hold even its simple web anime production schedule together, it really ceased to be worth watching even for serious fans by the end of the 2nd season. My favorite skit was the one they did on the War of Austrian Succession, complete with Britain bailing on Austria because he was just there to fight France.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2017, 17:16:38 »
Hetalia started out as a very clever web comic intended to interest girls in world history & it has a good number of great skits about various historical events, but between the ever increasing focus on fan slash pandering & Studio DEEN's complete inability to hold even its simple web anime production schedule together, it really ceased to be worth watching even for serious fans by the end of the 2nd season. My favorite skit was the one they did on the War of Austrian Succession, complete with Britain bailing on Austria because he was just there to fight France.

I don't know,  maybe it was just the short and disjointed nature of the skits and the interspersing of the chibi-fied skits with the frequent opening and closing credits.  The annoyance outstripped the funny pretty quickly, so back to the library it went.

I have watched FMP: Fumoffu and enjoyed it immensely.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2017, 19:55:56 »
I remember watching FMP... I remember I liked it... but I don't remember anything about it :-[

Did rewatch The World is Still Beautiful while waiting for this seasons next episodes. Might have to watch Snow White with the Red Hair again while waiting for next weeks. The week after... any suggestions from Netflix, CR, or Funimation??

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2017, 20:31:14 »
Don't you threaten me, Ogre!  :))

It wasn't a threat, it was a reminder.  ;D
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2017, 23:15:08 »
It's good.  It gets dark more often than the last original series and there isn't as much comedy.  It doesn't get as dark as the original did though(The nuke recovery mission comes to mind), but it does get pretty intense toward the end.  If there is more FMP coming, I'm really looking forward to it.

I dunno if you've read the LNs, but holy crap do they get DAAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKK. Like, super wicked dark. Which is where the anime is going towards. It's not about comedy any more, but where the Whispered come from.

I'm pretty sure that this is the season where SPOILER REDACTED THE TAG DIDN'T WORK. Don't get me wrong, it's a great story that kept me reading until the very end, but if you expect more "Hahaha, who brings a hand grenade to school?" shenanigans you're going to be rather upset.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2017, 10:59:40 »
Princess Principal is rather good.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2017, 11:05:49 »

DAMN STRAIGHT! Easily my favorite show of the season! Last episode's scheming Princesses only amplified my enjoyment of the series thus far!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2017, 11:57:12 »
any suggestions from Netflix, CR, or Funimation??
Here is MadCapellan's overview of the past season. Many of those are in one of the sites you mention. Most of the rest should be either on DAISUKI or Anime Network.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2017, 12:18:17 »
Damn straight. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Here is MadCapellan's overview of the past season. Many of those are in one of the sites you mention. Most of the rest should be either on DAISUKI or Anime Network.
Also don't forget that several shows are on Amazon Prime's additional fee Streaming service. As well as Anime Network is out of the streaming side. Most of their streaming has been taken up by a service called HIDIVE.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2017, 13:00:11 »
I remember watching FMP... I remember I liked it... but I don't remember anything about it :-[

mechs fighting it out over people called The Wispered who for unknown reasons(in the anime at least) are born with freaky amounts of knowledge over a particular subject or two.  For example, the 16 year old who commands a highly advance military submarine she designed herself.  The main character is a 17(?) year old sergeant who's been a solider in one capacity or another since he was 6.

The first series is an oil and water mix of comedy and military action/drama.

I dunno if you've read the LNs, but holy crap do they get DAAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKK. Like, super wicked dark. Which is where the anime is going towards. It's not about comedy any more, but where the Whispered come from.

I'd love to read them. Are they legitimately available in English and in a physical form?  If so, where would I find them?

I'm pretty sure that this is the season where SPOILER REDACTED THE TAG DIDN'T WORK. Don't get me wrong, it's a great story that kept me reading until the very end, but if you expect more "Hahaha, who brings a hand grenade to school?" shenanigans you're going to be rather upset.

My only real issue with the show's first season was its back and forth between teen comedy and military drama. Both our very entertaining on there own and for their own reasons, but they don't mix. Like I said before, it was oil and water. 

I'd love to watch a comedy about a solider trying but failing(horribly) to integrate into a high school while secretly protecting one of the students.  I'd also love to watch a military action/drama about...  well, okay, I really don't know exactly what's going on in FMP, but it's still awesome.   What I don't want is for them to be mixed together like... like...  two good things that shouldn't be mixed together.  Chocolate and spaghetti?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2017, 13:35:37 »
I, on the other hand, love nothing better than FMP's blend of comedy & serious action, & wish far more series would follow its example! Life is funny & sad in equal parts, why shouldn't entertainment be the same?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2017, 14:09:45 »
Anyone heard when Your Name comes out on blu-ray in the states?  Amazon says August 4th, but I can't find anything else to back that up.

Life is funny & sad in equal parts, why shouldn't entertainment be the same?

Can't argue with that I suppose.

I think (for me or least), the issue was FMP's extremes and my own random whims.  If I'm in the mood for a certain kind of entertainment, then that's what I primarily want to watch. I think it would have helped if it was blended together better.  It was more often one or the other.

It also made it difficult to recommend it to my niece.  I'd tell her about some parts of the comedy portions and she was eager to check out the show.  I then told her about the mechs and drama and she'd look at me like I told her she would enjoy math homework.  It's tough finding things we can both relate to since she drifted away from My Little Pony.  So far it's just been the Nozaki-Kun Manga.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and am eager for more.  My toughest criticisms are often aimed at things I love.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2017, 14:37:07 »
I'd love to read them. Are they legitimately available in English and in a physical form?  If so, where would I find them?
Amazon.com seems to have them. Paperbacks (Dead Tree Format), not Kindle ones.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 21 July 2017, 14:52:13 »
Going to see The Irregular At Magic High School movie this weekend! I absolutely love the franchise, & was afraid it'd be years before it was available stateside! So thankful Aniplex is giving it a limited theatrical release!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2017, 15:11:09 »

Sweet!  Added them to my wishlist so I don't forget the next time I place an order.

Checked out the toy section for FMP stuff while I was at it.  I uh... I don't remember Tessa ever wearing some of those outfits in the show...

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2017, 15:51:14 »

Sadly, I'm pretty sure they were from TokyoPop and are now discontinued.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2017, 17:06:51 »
Going to see The Irregular At Magic High School movie this weekend! I absolutely love the franchise, & was afraid it'd be years before it was available stateside! So thankful Aniplex is giving it a limited theatrical release!

I've watched the series several time and enjoyed it. Never fails to entertain, hope the movie gets posted online somewhere. So few do.. Was it new material or a rehash of the series?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2017, 17:11:03 »
I've watched the series several time and enjoyed it. Never fails to entertain, hope the movie gets posted online somewhere. So few do.. Was it new material or a rehash of the series?

It's an all new original story!

Preview may be found here: http://mahouka.us/

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2017, 17:56:15 »
Lucky me, should have a showing here on the 29th!!!  ^-^

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2017, 19:26:36 »
Not sure if this story on the upcoming 6 Girls Und Panzer films & PS4 game was discussed, but there's a blink and you'll miss it reveal of the French-themed BC Freedom High School team!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-20/girls-and-panzer-reveals-video-for-1st-film-in-6-part-project-new-ps4-game/.119081

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2017, 19:45:20 »
18if - 3
While I still question the motives of the MC in ep2, he sort of redeemed himself in this ep.
This weeks 'Witch' is quite interesting and only wanted to experience a normal high-school life while she could. A very nicely done ep.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 21 July 2017, 20:04:45 »
Not sure if this story on the upcoming 6 Girls Und Panzer films & PS4 game was discussed, but there's a blink and you'll miss it reveal of the French-themed BC Freedom High School team!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-20/girls-and-panzer-reveals-video-for-1st-film-in-6-part-project-new-ps4-game/.119081

Now, what are the odds of that game ever getting released in the US?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 21 July 2017, 20:17:44 »
Depends.. any english japanese dating sims??  :P #P

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 21 July 2017, 20:22:29 »
Steam has a ton of dating sims.