Author Topic: 3D-printable synthetic soft muscle  (Read 952 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
3D-printable synthetic soft muscle
« on: 21 September 2017, 14:54:36 »
Is the future closer than we thought?  ;)

https://engineering.columbia.edu/news/hod-lipson-lifelike-robots

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 3D-printable synthetic soft muscle
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2017, 16:17:15 »
I'm still skeptical about using heat (which this does). Heat transfer is either bulky or slow, I just can't see how they'll ever get this thing "up to speed". :(

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2017, 16:23:48 »
Lace it through with a heating system, like a criculartory system.  The opposite of Battletech muscles.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2017, 05:19:06 »
Heating it up isn't the problem (I work with electronics, I know all too well how to heat things up! :D). Cooling things down sucks. Yeah, you can run cooling fluid through it, no problem. But said fluid then has to be cooled off itself - look at your refrigerator to see exactly how small and light that tends to be...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2017, 08:13:43 »
I'm still skeptical about using heat (which this does). Heat transfer is either bulky or slow, I just can't see how they'll ever get this thing "up to speed". :(
What do you think TSM is all about?  :))
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register