Author Topic: Come and get your system coordinates!  (Read 21561 times)

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
Re: Come and get your system coordinates!
« Reply #60 on: 24 February 2012, 23:41:00 »
Thanks, understand & NP.

Dave.

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
    • Sarna Unified Cartography Kit
« Reply #61 on: 24 February 2012, 23:46:18 »
Thanks :) oh and by the way, i uploaded [just now] the updated file this time showing the Jade Falcon Incursion of 3058 [leading to battle of Coventry]

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #62 on: 25 February 2012, 02:26:21 »
Just select the reference system on the drop-down menu at cell E2 of the spreadsheet then it will automatically display the distances from each of the 3008 other systems to this systems.

caveat though, because of the quirky way VLOOKUP works in excel, the !Systems list HAS TO BE in alphabetical order, or it will not display the correct distances.

Add the ,0 at the end of the vlookup function for an exact match, that should fix the alphabetical issue.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 25 February 2012, 02:58:54 »
nice, thanks Syntax! updated xlsx file uploaded!

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 05 March 2012, 21:09:07 »
Hi guys, I just made a file that showed the distances [in LY] between the 3009 systems. I made the array to look like your typical multiplication table so that it would be intuitive. Fair warning though, because the distances are dynamic [ie formula] the file takes a while to open/save, and is approximately 125MB [well, what do you expect from a file with over 9 million cells and formulas?]

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jqz53qk660ozfwn

enjoy!

ps: i made the distances formulas based on the extrapolated and consolidated coordinates. So that IF/WHEN [please be WHEN] we get official coordinates we automatically get the distances [i so love future-proof designs]
« Last Edit: 05 March 2012, 21:10:51 by VoltAmpere »

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #65 on: 05 March 2012, 22:58:12 »
Hi guys, I just made a file that showed the distances [in LY] between the 3009 systems. I made the array to look like your typical multiplication table so that it would be intuitive. Fair warning though, because the distances are dynamic [ie formula] the file takes a while to open/save, and is approximately 125MB [well, what do you expect from a file with over 9 million cells and formulas?]

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jqz53qk660ozfwn

enjoy!

ps: i made the distances formulas based on the extrapolated and consolidated coordinates. So that IF/WHEN [please be WHEN] we get official coordinates we automatically get the distances [i so love future-proof designs]

Thats insane, why not just give people 2 blanks, a FROM and a TO (you can even use a validation list to give users dropdowns with all the system names), then do the calculations on it in a 3rd cell?  I have no idea why anybody would want to see *all* of them at once.  Heck, I have a dual core i7, 12 GB of ram, and a smoking SCSI 15K 5 disk array and *I* wouldn't touch that file with a wireless keyboard :)

Still waitin on HBHK :(
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 05 March 2012, 23:05:03 »
Oh, my systems by era.xlsx file does something like that already. Just select the "From" system and it will put the distance on each of the 3008 other systems on the list.

This dedicated table is just for the crazy people like myself. I got bored and decided to see if my laptop would break or not if i tried to do it... apparently it didn't break  :D :D :D

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 18 March 2012, 05:13:08 »
Hey guys,

with the advent of the 2765 map from H:LoTv1, I've updated the systems list and the coordinates. Changes:

1) renamed duplicate systems and systems with Extended Latin characters (such as Å and Ú etc...)
2) added 51 "new" systems, which actually means 49 new systems and two that I was not able to add before because I totally missed them
3) changed the base coordinates of more than 600 systems from the various handbook maps to the two-page 2765 map. As of this time the only system using coordinates from a handbook is Fable as it does not appear on any "full" Inner Sphere map. (if rounded to 0.1 decimal places, 98-99% of the systems are identical to the old coordinates, with the remaining 1-2% either off by 0.1 or -0.1 or were previously wrong, such as Onverwacht and Elba, among others)
4) adjusted the coordinates of the Chainelane Isles, Deep Periphery, HL, NC, JarnFolk, Pentagon and KCluster systems because of an X-axis scaling error using the 3085 map (oops).

The file is still systems by era.xlsx found in http://www.mediafire.com/?q47sjqbc94qti

You guys who have access to converted coordinates.xlsx file [you know who you are] are now free to scrutinize my raw coordinates for errors [you each get -100,000.01 points for missing the errors that I spotted]

@BN, sorry mate, but your maps just got rendered obsolete with this new list

@BTW Project: Planets guys, I'll try to generate a new distances file. I'll think I'll do it from scratch because of so many MINOR errors I saw in the master file which I had to correct to get this new release to make sense.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #68 on: 18 March 2012, 07:46:28 »
Considering the + or - 0.01 and that I have not shown the Clan worlds of deep periphery, it is a realitivly minor issue that would not be discernable to the casual observer.  Good thing it is done now as I am thinking of getting back into the mapping soon.  Still, I'll use this new list for future mapping work, so thanks for the effort.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #69 on: 18 March 2012, 14:24:33 »
Excellent, VoltAmpere. My confidence in the accuracy of these coordinates (compared to the old, outdated FASA ones) jumps leaps & bounds with each new release of your's.

Update: the file has been loading for about 45 minutes now. Its not a large file (718kb), but it must have a lot of formulas to display.

Is there anyway to create a coordinates only file, for those of us interested only in the navigation side of the project? I had been planning to strip this file myself, but as it's not even a third loaded yet, I may not be able to.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2012, 15:10:12 by Revanche »

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 18 March 2012, 19:07:42 »
1) CRAP, I made a mistake on my distance formula, which makes everything FARTHER than actual. Thanks to Bad_Syntax's post (quoted below), I tried to see if Roxborough is in the Isfahan system (Roxborough is said to be one jump coreward from Schwartz) I initially got 43 LY, then counter-checked against the PDF but my numbers don't tally. So I verified the formula and boom, found the mistake. Even while on vacation from cartography Syntax is still able to find errors in my work, imagine that. So anyway, unfortunately, I'm still at 35.876LY distance and with one Jump about 29.35467LY [difference of 1.999408parsec distance], I don't think it's the right system. So unless TPTB will say that a single 11-parsec [35.87793LY] jump is completely possible then it's POSSIBLE that Roxborough is in Isfahan, which is 35.876LY coreward from Schwartz.

I also had the following systems that were never on a map, but mentioned, some from http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,261.0/all.html:

Etienne's Sanctuary
Ross 248 (Near Terra) - Maybe 10.3 LY?.  Aka Terrelibre
RWR Outpost 27, top left)
Luyten 68-28 (Near Terra) - maybe 8.3 LY? - DC Space
Farhome (90 LY beyond TC)
Taussen - one of the 5 WOB hidden worlds
Obeedah - one of the 5 WOB hidden worlds
Mayadi - one of the 5 WOB hidden worlds
Barnard - Had an HPG A facility, part of first circuit, perhaps its Barnard's Star which is a 1.8pc away?
Roxborough - hidden comstar world?
Haddings - hidden comstar world?
Opotiki - hidden comstar world?
Trisha - hidden deep periphery comstar world?
Trentwash II - hidden deep periphery comstar world?
Alpha Hydri - hidden deep periphery comstar world?

"Terrelibre" could be a planet in Keid, which is 10.591LY from Terra.
I found Haddings in TH c.2571 and LC c.2822-2864, lost by 3025. Only just realized we had coordinates for it when I ran through the 2765 map.

2) I found another error in the formulas, making the coordinates of Fasa and EC821-387D #N/A. They're corrected now in this version.

3) Added another Column that says the number of Jumps from the Reference System to each of the 3060 listed systems. This is just the distance divided by number of LY per jump and rounded up to zero decimal places. Should make it easier to sort systems that are roughly two jumps away, or for plotting single- or double-jump routes through identified systems. Does not take into account if a system was abandoned or undiscovered at that era, so you'll have to further filter the data using the eras columns.

4) @Rev, coordinates + distances.xlsx ready for download just for you
« Last Edit: 18 March 2012, 19:28:21 by VoltAmpere »

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #71 on: 18 March 2012, 20:25:06 »
4) @Rev, coordinates + distances.xlsx ready for download just for you

Thanks, V-Amp. You're the best.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 19 March 2012, 02:27:44 »
I tried to see if Roxborough is in the Isfahan system (Roxborough is said to be one jump coreward from Schwartz)
Most assuredly not. Roxborough is detailed in the "Living Legends" scenario module, p. 52: "The Roxborough system consists of three planets. The largest, and the only one that sustains life, was christened Roxborough [...]. The planet was settled in 3051 [...] (essentially as a ComStar Explorer Corps base, because the Clans ignored it or were unawares of it).

Roxborough had been known for much longer than it had been colonized. It is a somewhat inhospitable world with hundreds of active volcanos and a jungle life zone on the equatorial belt complete with dangerous dinosaurs. It has no valuable ores so it was not deemed a viable planet for colonisation.

"Terrelibre" could be a planet in Keid, which is 10.591LY from Terra.
No, it is another name for the Ross 248 system which is one of two hidden ComStar shipyard systems close to Terra.

Edit: And about RWR Outpost 27: According to the rumors that gave us this name in the first place it's an area of space with several systems in in, not a single system.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2012, 02:30:54 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 19 March 2012, 06:04:33 »
Ugh, so there's another system 30LY coreward from Schwartz that's neighboring our good friend Isfahan. I thought Roxborough was the name of a planet in a system, I was not previously aware (or I might have forgotten) that it was the name of the system itself, with the prime planet named also such.

You think we'll ever see those hidden systems in the future?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 19 March 2012, 10:04:50 »
One more thing about Terrelibre: It's the new name for the Ross 248 system, but in Jihad Conspiracies it is referred to as Ross 2458.

You think we'll ever see those hidden systems in the future?
Those in the IS, probably yes if they're part of some storyline/plot.
Those in the Periphery, I'd wager not. Because the Periphery is deliberately left a largely unexplored playground by TPTB. Heck, by the time of the Dark Age, most of the IS beyond Republic borders seems to revert to periphery status...
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #75 on: 19 March 2012, 11:27:37 »
One more thing about Terrelibre: It's the new name for the Ross 248 system, but in Jihad Conspiracies it is referred to as Ross 2458.

That's merely a typo.

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: 19 March 2012, 13:43:48 »
Minor Updates again:

I used a different method to get the relative coordinates of the four JarnFolk worlds. Previously I used proximity to Alfirk to get the coordinates of the four JF worlds. This time I used the same method I employed that got me the Hanseatic League, Nueva Castile, Deep Periphery outposts, Pentagon and Kerensky Cluster systems.

the new coordinates are:

Alborg   554.930   499.044
Hamar   593.985   495.067
Hofn   602.133   545.074
Trondheim (JF)   578.460   526.133

Here are the actual coordinates for some of the worlds you have incorrect.

Jarnfolk
Alborg - 558.5, 504.5
Hamar - 599.4, 500.4
Hofn - 606.5, 551.5
Trondheim - 582.4, 542.2

Nueva Castile
Aragon  -668.9, 1129.1
Asturias  -721.1, 1105.2
Córdoba  -691.1, 1153.9
Granada  -675.9, 1163.9
León  -692.4, 1104.1
Navarre  -715.3, 1148.2
Valencia  -709.7, 1124.9

Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #77 on: 19 March 2012, 16:59:14 »
hey Highball, thanks. Can you post me the references for the coordinates so I can align mine accordingly?

EDIT: WOW!!! Analyzing the numbers of the JarnFolk systems, it would appear that we have a pretty consistent X scale (99.258%), but the Y scale is off, which I'll attribute to the Y coordinate you put on Trondheim. Your Y coordinate for Trondheim would put it too close to Hofn, which the Interstellar players map does not corroborate. This could be a typo in either your source or in transferring from that post to this source.

With the X coordinates at 99% accuracy, I am able to identify that my coordinates are OFFSET by <6LY to the LEFT of yours. If only we have more reference points, I would be able to triangulate ["pentagulate"? since I'm actually using five reference points to determine the location of the 6th point] a more accurate placement.

On the Nueva Castile systems, comparing the first six against my data, my X & Y scales are close to 100% accurate, my offset however is another matter [<8LY], which is the same case as the JarnFolk offsets due to the same methodology employed. I really need those reference coordinates :D

EDIT #2: for those who use Bad_Syntax's Cartographer app, I uploaded an updated systems.txt and factions.txt file that uses the new coordinates and also has the 2765 data.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2012, 08:18:30 by VoltAmpere »

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 28 March 2012, 19:24:55 »
Minor update to the following files:
systems by era.xlsx
converted coordinates.xlsx
coordinates + distance.xlsx
systems.txt

changes are:
1) minor system renames
2) updated some faction ownerships pre-2822
3) merged the Calish, Davetal, Mica and Niops planets into one entry each, the coordinates of which were extrapolated by getting the midpoint of Calish & Davetal systems and the centroid of the Mica & Niops systems [aka, averaged the X and Y coordinates :D]

note: At this time the error on the 2765 map on showing two Bayeux have been temporarily corrected as follows:
1) retained the name of the original one in the Anjin Muerto area
2) renamed the duplicate system in Point Barrow region to "Diediediediedieidiediedie" until such time that the official [correct] name has been released [please note that there are 8 "Die" in the name, as specified by this post http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,17264.msg396554.html#msg396554]

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 03 April 2012, 18:49:19 »
very very minor update to Systems.txt and systems by era.xlsx:

reading Whispering Death [battlecorps] the other day, appears that Hoard already existed in the 2900s so I updated the faction ownership. If you load the txt file to Bad_Syntax's app you will now see Hoard appear from 3025 onwards instead of 3067 onwards.

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 13 May 2012, 08:27:00 »
Minor update based on the 2750 map:

renamed Diediediediedieidiediedie to Kaufermann

no border changes, no new systems. 2750 is virtually identical to 2765 so I copied all faction ownership of 2765 to 2750.

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 15 July 2012, 23:35:45 »
2764 map is out... but it's basically a multi-colored version of 2750 and 2765, also "Kaufermann" appears in-map. I did not include it in the database anymore as the faction ownership of the systems are identical with 2750 and 2765.

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 07 September 2012, 01:22:19 »
Time to bump the topic to the top again.
I'm currently transferring all my coordinates from the base 3130 map to the base 2764 map for several reasons:
1) 2764 map is one page, so it reduces the problems with merging coordinates from two pages
2) 2764 map is the most dense map we have so I'll have to work on fewer actual maps to be able to combine all systems (past and present) in a single plane. Having fewer maps to work with reduces the risk of inconsistency because of the differing XY scales between maps
3) I've found some inconsistencies in the positions of some of the systems in the 3130 map compared to all the more recent maps released by Oystein [Tortuga Prime appears about 7LY lower in the new maps, and Kentares appears 2LY closer to Terra on the new maps, to name some
4) Allows me to recheck all my previous coordinates for typos (I've already spotted several)

At this time I've completed conversion of 722 of the 3054 systems (23.64%). For those that have used previous versions of the coordinates, there will be minimal variance (-0.004LY to +0.018LY average) on the X-axis but about -0.045LY to +0.096LY average on the Y-axis. This is because the 3130 uses a different Y-scale compared to the other maps, but overall still minor. Once I'm done transferring the coordinates I'll be uploading the following:

1) Systems by Era.xlsx [shows the ownership of each system from 2271 to 3130, still WIP]
2) Systems.txt [this is #1 but in a format readable by Bad_Syntax's latest cartographer app] <-- BN, you can use this file to generate your vector maps
3) Factions.txt [companion file of #2 that assigns RGB colors for each faction]
4) Coordinates+Distances.xlsx [System, coordinates, absolute linear distance, and jump distance between systems from a selectable Reference System] <--Rev, this is the lite version just for you

I'll probably take a week since I'm now doing everything myself and work hasn't been very cooperative with free time.

Still hoping HB:HK comes out soon!!!

Pointless Trivia: the centerline of the Caliban Nebula is approximately 840LY North of  Syrstart [assuming Y-scale of 2764 is correct]

UPDATE: Sorry for the delay, too much RL stuff eating up my time. I still have 820 coordinates to teansfer before I'm done. On the plus side, the coordinates of the new systems from ISP3 are going to be part of the update, as I,ve already completed them. All deep periphery system coordinates changed because i'm using the scale on the 300LY ruler on the four maps. Hopefully i finish the 820 before the year ends.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2012, 09:10:11 by VoltAmpere »

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: 30 January 2013, 01:50:22 »
new coordinates! all 3139 mapped systems and clusters with [known] faction ownership per era:

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/cartography-central/list-of-completed-canon-and-au-maps/msg27018/#msg27018

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 08 April 2013, 01:20:59 »
Once the moratorium for Era Report: 3145 is out I'll post the updated database showing the new maps, and hopefully the ownership changes between 3135 and 3145. It'll also include minor update to the coordinates. I've changed the source coordinates of 10 systems that originally appeared in the 3130 map to the 3135 map since that is more consistent with the recent releases. I'll also be changing the source coordinates of the four JarnFolk systems from ISP1/ISP3 to 3135 since they appear in the 3135 map (hidden behind the upper-right legend). I found minor naming inconsistencies in the new maps but I won't bother with those anymore as they could be simple typos.