Author Topic: Operation Concentrated Weakness  (Read 1488 times)

LosTech Prospector

• Recruit
Operation Concentrated Weakness
« on: 26 June 2015, 11:10:30 »
Hello everybody,

I'm just preparing an ATOW/MechWarrior Campaign set in the Third Succession War, starting at 3002 during Concentrated Weakness. Player characters are Lyran House MechWarriors. I have done some background work, but some questions remain I could not find canon answers for.

1. Why the FWL (so it seems) have been the primary target? Did the Archon make a strategic mistake, or did he choose House Marik for a specific reason? Or am I missperceiving things, and both borders were fortified equally?
2. What would you say, to what extent Loki waged a war of terror against citizens who opposed the Archon, and how far the Loki-Heimdall secret war would go? (I still would like to see an issue of Interstellar Players dealing with this secret Lyran society. Who are these guys?) Or the other way round, what would an individual have to do to earn either organization's undivided attention? Would painting a small moustache on the Archon's portrait qualify?
3. Are there still IndustrialMechs operating in the Lyran Commonwealth, and in what quantity? I once read that most where cannibalized for the frontline, but I could imagine that there are still a number of Agro-, Loader- and other WorkMechs around. (Thinking of this: A group of union-sponsored workers are "hi-jacking" their own IndustrialMech because someone decided that they would be a fine ressource for replacement parts. The PCs are send there to put the strike down. The way how they do this has an impact on gaining friends and enemies in the various organizations and conspiracies.)
4. Have there any noteworthy offensive operations conducted by the Lyrans, except for Loric and Solaris VII? Especially at the Draconis Front?

I am not shying away from making-up answers as they come up, and even would not be afraid of creating an alternate universe and timeline. (The MW I and II random event tables are too good to be ignored.). By doing this, a number of "What If" questions pop up in my mind.

5. What if Katrina Steiner died playing the Red Corsair (for example, to be killed by the player characters on the battlefield, hunting pirates) or Loki succeeded in abducting her on Poulsbo?
6. What if the connection between ComStar and the various Pirate Gangs would be uncovered?
7. What if the Clans decided to start Operation Revival in the Year 3002?

Thank you!

Archangel

• Major
Re: Operation Concentrated Weakness
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2015, 18:32:16 »
1. Why the FWL (so it seems) have been the primary target? Did the Archon make a strategic mistake, or did he choose House Marik for a specific reason? Or am I missperceiving things, and both borders were fortified equally?

At the time Operation Concentrated Weakness began, the Free Worlds League front was the weaker of the two fronts not to mention that the Lyrans had barely defended their hold on Hesperus II shortly before.  The plan didn't simply call for the strengthening of the front, but for the front to go on the offensive which Alessandro Steiner believed would help him win back the people after previous strategic failures.

2. What would you say, to what extent Loki waged a war of terror against citizens who opposed the Archon, and how far the Loki-Heimdall secret war would go? (I still would like to see an issue of Interstellar Players dealing with this secret Lyran society. Who are these guys?) Or the other way round, what would an individual have to do to earn either organization's undivided attention? Would painting a small moustache on the Archon's portrait qualify?

Loki operations were over-played in the free media of the Lyran Commonwealth.  Most of their efforts were focused against Heimdall but the media (and the people) simply saw them being used against the Lyran people.

3. Are there still IndustrialMechs operating in the Lyran Commonwealth, and in what quantity? I once read that most where cannibalized for the frontline, but I could imagine that there are still a number of Agro-, Loader- and other WorkMechs around. (Thinking of this: A group of union-sponsored workers are "hi-jacking" their own IndustrialMech because someone decided that they would be a fine ressource for replacement parts. The PCs are send there to put the strike down. The way how they do this has an impact on gaining friends and enemies in the various organizations and conspiracies.)

I would say that "someone" was desperate as IndustrialMech parts aren't made to military standards.  If they were they would be a lot more expensive.

4. Have there any noteworthy offensive operations conducted by the Lyrans, except for Loric and Solaris VII? Especially at the Draconis Front?

As a part of Operation Concentrated Weakness or around the same time period?  Operation Concentrated Weakness approximately ran from 3002 to 3007 when Alessandro Steiner was forced from office (before he could launch his planned offensive).  However, one could say that  the operation was indirectly successful in crippling the Free Worlds League as the FWLM's failure on Solaris VII would eventually help lead to Anton's Revolt.  The commander of the invasion of Solaris was a close friend of Anton Marik and was courtmartialed and execution for his failure.

5. What if Katrina Steiner died playing the Red Corsair (for example, to be killed by the player characters on the battlefield, hunting pirates) or Loki succeeded in abducting her on Poulsbo?

Well first Katrina Steiner was never the Loki team's target, it was her future husband Arthur Luvon, who had been identified as a leader in Heimdall.  They allegedly never even knew she was there.

6. What if the connection between ComStar and the various Pirate Gangs would be uncovered?

That is really a separate discussion. It would depend upon how much was uncovered and how much could be proved.  If it was just pirates claiming they were backed by ComStar, little, if anything would come of it as ComStar would have provided them little physical proof.  ComStar didn't supply them with SL equipment and any money trails would lead investigators off chasing false leads that would likely lead back to the Draconis Combine or the Free Worlds League.

7. What if the Clans decided to start Operation Revival in the Year 3002?

The Clans would be celebrating on Terra, then a short time later cursing those wretch Spheroids for their refusal to properly submit.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

LosTech Prospector

• Recruit
Re: Operation Concentrated Weakness
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2015, 13:45:22 »
Thank you, Archangel. There are several useful and good points in your answer.

Register