Author Topic: Tactical Addendum: is it useful?  (Read 2094 times)

rabindranath72

• Corporal
Tactical Addendum: is it useful?
« on: 10 November 2015, 03:58:12 »
Hi all,
how does the Tactical Addendum in AToW work in practice? Has anyone tried it in extensive campaign play? We used the one in MW2e Companion and it practically replaced the standard BT rules at our table. Is the AToW system comparable in scope to the MW2e one?

Thanks,
Antonio

Jewelfox

• Sergeant
  • Inari no kitsune
    • Jewelfox's den
Re: Tactical Addendum: is it useful?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2015, 00:16:45 »
I have not played MW2e, perhaps unfortunately!

My impression of the Tactical Addendum was something like "BattleTech and AToW's rules are complicated enough, why do I need to learn a new rules set to hybridize them?" So I'm not the best person to ask, but I thought that I'd share this perspective anyway since no one else has replied. <_>

Personally, I'd use Alpha Strike's rules if I needed to do miniatures combat in AToW. On mech scale, anyway. It'd probably be more fun, and more accessible to newbies and busy people, than anything based on the BattleTech board game's rules.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2015, 00:18:38 by Jewelfox »

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2015, 01:19:16 »
Where is this addendum located?  Are you talking about the Tactical interface in the AToW book?  If you are, it's OK.  Takes a little longer when it comes to combat, but you can also do more.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

rabindranath72

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2015, 04:41:19 »
Where is this addendum located?  Are you talking about the Tactical interface in the AToW book?  If you are, it's OK.  Takes a little longer when it comes to combat, but you can also do more.
Yes the Tactical Combat Addendum chapter in AToW. I am not interested in doing more, rather in removing the use of the hex grid, like I did with the MW2e. Essentially, using the same "action economy" in the RPG, which I suppose doesn't really require the hex grid?
I am still on the fence whether to buy AToW or not, a system similar to MW2e would definitely be very welcome.

rabindranath72

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2015, 04:44:26 »
I have not played MW2e, perhaps unfortunately!

My impression of the Tactical Addendum was something like "BattleTech and AToW's rules are complicated enough, why do I need to learn a new rules set to hybridize them?" So I'm not the best person to ask, but I thought that I'd share this perspective anyway since no one else has replied. <_>

Personally, I'd use Alpha Strike's rules if I needed to do miniatures combat in AToW. On mech scale, anyway. It'd probably be more fun, and more accessible to newbies and busy people, than anything based on the BattleTech board game's rules.
Thanks for the reply! Yes your perspective is useful. The way in which I used the integration rules in the MW2e Companion, were to essentially replace wholesale the hex grid structure, and frame vehicular combat in the same action structure as the RPG. In this sense, it was very useful; although we lost somewhat precision in combat, overall we didn't resent it because combats ran much faster (it seems to me AToW has a similar action economy framework as MW2e.)