Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 216107 times)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #900 on: 28 March 2015, 10:02:50 »
Where in the fiction can I find a description of Naomi Centrella, because I keep thinking her art in the House Liao book can't be right.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 18:59:15 by Top Sergeant »
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #901 on: 28 March 2015, 10:46:58 »
You might be able to find a description of her in Double Blind, where she shows up a couple of times.

You can also find another picture of her in Masters and Minions.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #902 on: 28 March 2015, 14:15:10 »
You might be able to find a description of her in Double Blind, where she shows up a couple of times.

You can also find another picture of her in Masters and Minions.

OK I'll check. I just seem to remember something different. It might be my imagination, but thanks for the references; I'll look into it.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #903 on: 28 March 2015, 20:49:25 »
There was confusion over Kyalla Centrella's (Naomi's Grandmother) various pictures and descriptions over the years, which might be where some of the confusion comes in.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #904 on: 24 December 2015, 22:06:04 »
Merry Christmas! May you get a 'Mech under your tree!  8)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #905 on: 28 December 2015, 09:43:34 »
There was confusion over Kyalla Centrella's (Naomi's Grandmother) various pictures and descriptions over the years, which might be where some of the confusion comes in.

Was it Kyalla?  I seem to recall, with Sarna's assistance that Emma's appearance has a pretty large variance in depiction.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #906 on: 28 December 2015, 14:28:57 »
Uh, after this long, I dunno, maybe. Though the fact that I said "Naomi's Grandmother" makes me think I was really thinking of Kyalla. Though admittedly I can't think of where we might see Kyalla's looks detailed, except for maybe Brush Wars and the 1st Edition Periphery book.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see discrepancies in both Emma and Kyalla's looks.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #907 on: 28 December 2015, 17:36:55 »
Cosmetic surgery is so cheap in the Magistry, and it is so yesterday to have to look the same 2 years in a row. :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #908 on: 28 December 2015, 20:27:04 »
Like...really...

I woke up today and wanted to be blonde....

O:-)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #909 on: 28 December 2015, 21:07:12 »
Cosmetic surgery is so cheap in the Magistry, and it is so yesterday to have to look the same 2 years in a row. :D

Fair point.

Like...really...

I woke up today and wanted to be blonde....

O:-)

After 22 its just a cry for attention.  Anyone in the Magistracy would know that.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #910 on: 09 January 2016, 17:43:04 »
Fair point.

After 22 its just a cry for attention.  Anyone in the Magistracy would know that.

Point of Clarification:  After the age of 22, or after 22 hair colors?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #911 on: 09 January 2016, 18:42:26 »
The quality of your cosmetic surgeon would determine your age in the magistry.
That's why the heir to the throne is kept hidden in early childhood, so that no one knows their real age. :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #912 on: 13 January 2016, 13:05:46 »
Point of Clarification:  After the age of 22, or after 22 hair colors?

Years of age.  But, this is one of those fashion rules that "everyone knows" like don't wear white after Labor Day, don't wear socks with sandals or that green, blue, pink or purple hair on a woman  is the female equivalent of a male fedora.  All of it is completely arbitrary and stems from someone else's expectations.  If you want canary yellow hair, tap your inner Billy Idol and give a rebel yell.

This makes me wonder about the fashion ideas of the Magistracy and wonder if ideas like tacky and tasteless exist in such a libertine society. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #913 on: 13 January 2016, 16:14:12 »
You know, there's a publication where you could detail that...
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #914 on: 13 January 2016, 16:34:50 »
The way I've always seen the Magistracy is like this.

David Bowie would feel at home there.

:)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #915 on: 13 January 2016, 16:55:21 »
Yeah, i guess so.  But, having traveled through various sub cultures over the years i've learned that no matter how counter culture you are, there are still sub divisions within that sub culture.  So, I imagine that even in the Magistracy, anything goes and such there would still be a set of underlying rules saying you can, and some people do, but cool people don't.  And of course those rules would changes, cycle back and repeat themselves.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

MightyBolamite

• Corporal
« Reply #916 on: 11 February 2016, 10:24:05 »
So what's with the Agrotera?
It's clearly Canopus made*, but listed as a Cappie unit?
Wonderful Mech btw, nice job Canopus.

*Reference via MotW Preview.
*Manufacturer is a Canopus company and is *on* Canopus IV.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #917 on: 11 February 2016, 17:26:45 »
The Cappies and the MoC share designs.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #918 on: 11 February 2016, 18:44:34 »
With close ties to the Capellans, its not surprising that most things that the Magistracy makes wind up in the hands of the Capellans as well. Its a good sign that the Magistracy is able to produce enough that they have enough use AND export to the Capellans (and later on Andurien).

Its pretty much the same across almost everything the Magistracy produces (but not 100%).

Surprisingly, the reverse is also true. Quite a bit of what the Capellans produce is available to the Magistracy. Again, not 100%, but more than expected perhaps.

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
  • The ends justify the means.
    • Built for War - A BattleTech TRO by fans like you!
« Reply #919 on: 07 March 2016, 18:43:02 »
If the MoC decided to build a new heavy in 3145-3150, what would you like it to do? Where would you want it to fit within MoC doctrine?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #920 on: 07 March 2016, 21:50:25 »
Tough to say really. The Magistracy doesn't produce alot of designs, but between what they do build and import from the CapCon, they have quite a bit....troopers like the Penthesilea, quick heavies like the Koschei, TSM monsters like the Ti Ts'ang, and fast jumpers like the C4 Thunder.

I suppose you could argue that they're missing something like a home built Archer, though they have access to that, the Catapult II and other LRM boats so that's an..okay idea, but not a great one.

Maybe a homegrown TSM monster? Although I'm not sure much would stand up to the Ti Ts'ang.

I was about to suggest a flashbulb design, but I suppose the Marauders they produce fill that role.

Kind of hard to choose :)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #921 on: 08 March 2016, 09:53:21 »
Yeah, i hesitate on this at every weight class, simply because the Capellans and Canopians are so connected at this point.  But, that isn't going to necessarily be true forever, and a little redundancy in your production in order to have domestic self reliance to some degree is a good idea.

That being said, the MoC makes some fun light and mediums like the Ebony and Eyleuka.  Maybe something in that spirit, fast and weird would be good.  Maybe something like a modified Grand Dragon or Ninja-to, a fast heavy, but not really a cavalry heavy.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #922 on: 09 March 2016, 03:04:05 »
At this point really, I'd say let the Magistracy break into the assault realm. Its a weight class they don't produce yet, and there's really no reason for it at this point in time. If the Brotherhood of Randis can do it...

Not that I'm saying that the assaults that the Magistracy has access to suck, but it is something that they're not producing themselves at this point in time (that we know of, of course).

Not that I really know what they should produce. Like the heavies, what they get from the Cappellans and the open market seem effective enough.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #923 on: 09 March 2016, 10:40:23 »
Fair observation.  I usually let that slide and assume there is some mentality behind the lack of an assault, like counter-Lyranism.  Oh, those slow and ponderous assaults.  What a waste of time.  Anti-piracy and fighting off Marian raids are still a thing, so I took it at face value that the Magistracy wouldn't have as much of a mandate for slower combat platforms.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #924 on: 10 March 2016, 02:36:44 »
I dunno. Traditionally the Periphery hasn't been able to produce assaults. It wasn't until the Brotherhood of Randis produced the Hawkwolf that the Periphery got a modern assault produced (the Marians apparently managed to make a Retro Emperor as well).

Considering both the Taurians and the Canopians had this problem, I think it was a technological one, rather than any sort of anti-assault mentality (though I will admit that the Canopians seem to go for faster designs).

It could simply be that they're happy with the designs they get off the Cappellans and on the open market (which aren't all bad) and how many they get. Or maybe they just haven't had an opportunity for one yet.

edit
Okay, have to admit, the Magistracy does produce an assault, the 80 ton SalvageMech, but its an IndustrialMech. Its close, but not quite the same. :)
/edit
« Last Edit: 10 March 2016, 02:42:21 by Maelwys »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #925 on: 10 March 2016, 17:09:31 »
Canopus's biggest naughty neighbors are all the hit-and-run types.  Assault mechs are useless against them, so I think that MAF resources are better utilized with faster machines.  If we really need Assault mechs, we can buy them off the Cappies.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #926 on: 11 March 2016, 19:21:25 »
Yes and no. Piracy is still a big problem, but with the Magistracy so closely involved with the Capellans and the Anduriens, they could find themselves fighting against the resurgent FWL, the FedSuns, and the Republic when they come out.

And yeah. The Capellans have good assault 'Mechs that they can sell, but since I couldn't really think of a good heavy that the MoC needed, I threw out the idea of an assault :)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #927 on: 12 March 2016, 08:42:51 »
It could get even more interesting when Daoshen dies.  If there is a power-struggle for the Chancellorship, the Confederation could become a free-fire zone with MAF troops jumping in. :D

Danai Falknir

• Recruit
« Reply #928 on: 16 September 2016, 17:02:31 »
Hey there folks, getting back into gaming and looking for friends in Mekwars to get me going! I'm a big Magistracy fan as the one nation to not drink the Star League koolaid and also have potential to make them eat it!
<Go on, stand up and let us hear you!> Says the French Teacher

<Protocol for international information gathering: when dealing with local authorities, bribes should be effective. If the information cannot be aquired through bribes, resort to torture, keeping in mind that on duty officers should be able to report in or their absence will raise alarms, endangering the mission. When dealing with higher ranking officials, bribes are too costly; the first course of action should be torture. If this does not result in success, proceed to the abduction and/or execution of family members, always beginning with females.>, says Laura in French

What the hell did you just say?!, says Megan

X-23, Target X issue 2, French class

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #929 on: 16 September 2016, 22:25:38 »
The nation that joined Star League II?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.