Author Topic: IO Creating a Force beta - jumpship fuel cost query  (Read 1612 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
IO Creating a Force beta - jumpship fuel cost query
« on: 31 May 2016, 01:58:04 »
So going over the beta pdf and came across a possible error for the fuel cost calculation.

p13 says the total burn/ton per day on the invader is 17.95, but SO says those figures should be divided by 10 for Jumpships and Space Stations. Was the calculation in the beta PDF an error then or is there something not mentioned that would keep it at the full rate?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: IO Creating a Force beta - jumpship fuel cost query
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 02:18:53 »
It's tons/burn-day/G.  Since a JumpShip drive produces only 0.1 G of thrust, it would use only 1/10 the normal value.  The full value becomes important in the rare event you need to make a fusion-powered jump (ten 1 G burn-days base fuel required).
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 03:48:16 »
Yeah, the example explains the 10 day usage, but the 3 days at full value are an error then probably.

the Invader has 19.75 tons per burn-day and uses
59.25 tons per month holding station against the local
star’s gravity.

The above only makes sense if they are counting for usage over a full month (30 days) rather the 3 days listed. Its just not very clear about that.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2016, 06:29:07 »
Yeah, the example explains the 10 day usage, but the 3 days at full value are an error then probably.

The above only makes sense if they are counting for usage over a full month (30 days) rather the 3 days listed. Its just not very clear about that.

Note the text - at least, the current draft - says "3 burn-days" not "3 days."

The rules text indicates, "while JumpShips and space stations are assumed to use 3 burn-days per month for station-keeping." The example for Arnold's Invader uses that, too: "while the Invader has 19.75 tons per burn-day and uses 59.25 tons per month holding station against the local star’s gravity."

19.75 x 3 = 59.25

Or, when fully expanded:

30 burn-days x (0.1G x 19.75 tons / G-burn-day) = 59.25 tons.

Since the JumpShips are only going to run at 0.1G, that was consolidated from 30 burn days to 3 days.

but SO says those figures should be divided by 10 for Jumpships and Space Stations.

That division is included in the 3 burn-day value rather than requiring players go to Strategic Operations and dig it up separately.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2016, 06:31:54 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2016, 06:55:44 »
That explains it, thanks cray.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2016, 09:33:16 »
cray, do you know if the sell sheets are accurate about August?

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2016, 11:47:56 »
There are sell sheets?

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2016, 16:09:59 »
Even with a .1g movement, jumpships can move a little more then station keeping thrust.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2016, 16:15:32 »
Yes, they can move up to 0.2 thrust points / 0.1G. I believe Strategic Operations has rules for banking thrust points to move JumpShips on a battlefield map.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2016, 19:26:17 »
Sure 5 turns to move 1 hex is a long time in a battle but for a long term it might help.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2016, 21:00:12 »
http://www.universaldist.com/images/document/CAT35007_CampaignOps.pdf I've see pdfs like this for other projects so it looks like a CGL sell sheet. I'm mostly concerned about the accuracy of the date listed. I know parts of the book have gone to layout and other spots are getting finishing touches so it feels a bit off, but then again.. I'm not working on that project and don't work for CGL so I don't have a clue on how far along the book actually is.

It just seems odd to find a sell sheet for it so early before an announcement has been made about it even being in final layout or whatever.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2016, 04:04:39 »
Yes, they can move up to 0.2 thrust points / 0.1G. I believe Strategic Operations has rules for banking thrust points to move JumpShips on a battlefield map.
And when you factor in the generic Advanced movement rules you should be able to get away on using truly minuscule amount of fuel to keep JumpShips from falling into a star

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2016, 14:40:11 »
Falling into a star hell, a JumpShip producing 0.1 Gs of thrust could go from Saturn to Earth in 28 days.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"