Author Topic: Battlemech bits  (Read 1499 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Battlemech bits
« on: 28 July 2018, 08:54:02 »
I know it is possible to buy arms and weapons sprues but can you buy other things like torsos and legs seperately?

Luciora

• Major
Re: Battlemech bits
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2018, 09:21:25 »
Unless you visit iron wind metals directly, or make a deal with someone who is, only what is available through the scrapyard is what can be purchased separately.  There's maybe only 1 or 2 torsos available as variant parts sold separately.  The Loki C and the Koschei are the 2 that come to mind offhand.

I know it is possible to buy arms and weapons sprues but can you buy other things like torsos and legs seperately?

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2018, 00:23:25 »
You can ask IWM about selling you specific pieces, even if they're not listed.  It doesn't hurt to ask.
 (However, if you're going to ask, do it at least a week or two after GenCon!)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2018, 02:22:38 »
Currently there's a hold on ordering parts separately from what is listed on the scrapyard until IWM can come up with a easier way to locate the many parts they archive.  Derek King of Aries Games used to offer it as a separate service until recently per IWM.

You can ask IWM about selling you specific pieces, even if they're not listed.  It doesn't hurt to ask.
 (However, if you're going to ask, do it at least a week or two after GenCon!)

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2018, 11:38:38 »
Typically if you are ordering other things they will let you buy some parts too. Just email them and ask. I wasn't aware of a hold on parts orders. Email them and ask. Worst thing that can happen is they could say no. They are very reasonable and nice. Their shipping charges are a bit on the high side. I actually found it cheaper to purchase whole models from other vendors and use the parts I wanted.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2018, 13:35:50 »

Drew...you could until recently, as I announced on our Facebook page:

All,

For the time being, Iron Wind Metals has put a hold on buying parts that ARE NOT LISTED in the Scrapyard, OmniMech Variant Parts, or Word of Blake Variant parts sections of the site.

More details will be coming, but expect anything from a hefty price increase to a "special order" fee for non-site listed parts. Also, it seems the Scrapyard will also see a price increase.

All of this is due to the fact that it takes a LOT of time to go find parts, send back pictures of said part to make sure they are correct (to avoid incorrect parts being sent out), and this is taking a TON of time away from their primary responsibilities such as shipping to distributors, customers, and retailers such as us.

As we all know, time is money, and doing these special requests for non-site listed parts is very time consuming. Also, keep in mind, when they did their first price increase in MANY years...they did not include the Scrapyard on that price increase. Metal has gone up a LOT in recent years...so to not increase on parts just makes it a much worse situation.

AS SOON AS MORE DETAILS COME OUT, I will let you guys know...but for now, any non-site listed parts are a no go until they figure out how to proceed.

Please, don't criticize their decision on this, they do after all need to make money...not lose it (in time or physical dollars).

Thank you
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Archer77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2018, 14:31:39 »
You can always contact RPE , they sell individual parts.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2018, 16:11:25 »
Only because of the hold on non-scrapyard parts will I mention this.

CAV, made by Reaper converted to the Bones resin/plastic. As such they are much cheaper than they used to be.

Most run in the 6.00 US range. You can literally buy a whole unit for the cost of most parts.

Granted , many of the arms and guns would be too big for many Btech units. Not entirely through. A little looking and you should find quite a bit.

Bonesium is pretty easy to work with and you could reasonably saw off pieces for use.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2018, 09:11:24 »
Most definitely!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2018, 09:21:32 »
Something I strongly suggest if you need something specific is to remember that the IWM folks are fantastic, but they aren't Battletech players. Telling them you need an Ultra AC/20 for a Blitzkrieg may or may not get what you want. So what I do is two things:

1) Look up the ID number on their webstore for the miniature, even if spare parts for it aren't listed. They don't know it as a name, they know it as an ID number- so help them out a bit on that. Do some research too if you can- if you need a right arm, great, but if that arm comes on a sprue with other parts it helps to let them know what they're looking for.

2) Grab a photo of the miniature if you can, and use something like MS Paint to circle what you need. If all else fails at least showing them what the part looks like helps a ton. YOU know what it looks like, but just seeing 'oh, THAT part' is huge for them.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+