Author Topic: WIP - Yellow Jacket need help  (Read 4597 times)

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
WIP - Yellow Jacket need help
« on: 24 August 2017, 02:21:06 »
Hey I don't know when I started to "recreate" the Yellow Jacket for the first time.... must been a year or so.
During this time I started and dismissed several attempts

Some facts so far. The Yellow Jacket weights 30tons - and has two pilots.... everything else is "open" - oh later i had added the idea that it should look like an insect.
So far so good.

the first - was a two seater with sits next to each other similar to black hawk or ka 52...

the railing and the knifes should have been some "protection"

with the Ka-52 in mind i create a second attempt

I positioned the Gauss Rifle at the flank but it didn't looked like a Yellow Jacket should look like.

so tested and tried several things until i had a "uglysect" - this time with a "turret" mount for the gauss rifle

it was to fat and to ugly

so my final attempt - with redesigned 75mm Poland Main C Gauss Rifle - and streamlined turret mount

not so blocky:

I love the look and feel of the latest creation (but I also loved the look and feel of the other attempts before) it looks like an fragile insect.
But I don't know if I should go the path of the later TROs (Yasha, Hawk Moth II, Strix, Red Kite, Aeron) - or the classic helicopter look
I also want to mount some stubby wings for payload (don't think this would look good with the current layout)

Some might ask why the gauss is pointed to the rear?
Well I thought that the YellowJacket is a MechHunter... and in a fragile VTOL you simple don't attack a head on - and it helps to narrow the profile.
The Gauss would usually pointed down and to a side....simple attack run sketch - with a Yellow Jacket model i found in the internet

spotting

diversion missile attacks

attack run

popup

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: WIP - Yellow Jacket need help
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2017, 04:42:04 »
I love the conversion into a ducted fan type craft, not sure about the rear facing gauss though as you'd be exposing the most thinly armoured aspect to a target and potential threat.  I'd go with the ducted fan idea but have the gauss firing forwards instead, and probably go for a AH-64 esque set up like the one you showed in this image for the cockpit

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2017, 12:45:49 »
Was thinking of doing some art based in part on the Lochhead AH-56 Cheyenne and Patlabor's Hellhound
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2017, 08:05:01 »
The Cheyenne is already act as model for the "Warrior", but (the Hellhound looks more like a Yellow Jacket.

I tried another one - take all design elements and put them in one vehicle:

The issue is the massive poland-main c - would look great on a Behemoth II--- but its to massive for a "small" helicopter
« Last Edit: 25 August 2017, 08:06:33 by Hptm. Streiger »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2017, 11:26:38 »
Hmmm...it is a bit tricky :s   Still looks amazing though!

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2018, 10:19:28 »
well it has been a while.... while Goblin, now Scorpion and Rommel are far from finished I wanted to spend some time away from tanks
So here it is a 9th version - back to the main and tail rotor and the massive Gauss in a turret like mount below the hull.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2018, 02:52:14 »
Very nice work!  Kind of reminds me of the aircraft from the first Command and Conquer :)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2018, 00:10:06 »
Looks great!
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2018, 14:50:38 »
Centerline is definitely better for something that weighs 50% the weight of the entire vehicle...

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2018, 18:54:18 »
They actually look a little similar to the bug lifters from Starship Troopers. At least the main body of them anyway. I like the blocky design. The Turbines make for an excellent way to lift the system assuming that they can keep it stable. Have you thought of putting a smaller turbine in the aft section to help with stabilization, maybe one that retracts into the body of the craft? Your Barrel Doesn't need to be as long either. Sure you get a lot of velocity the longer it is, but a snub-nosed Guass rifle might make the flight profile be a little more aerodynamic.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2018, 10:44:34 »
Your Barrel Doesn't need to be as long either. Sure you get a lot of velocity the longer it is, but a snub-nosed Guass rifle might make the flight profile be a little more aerodynamic.

about the rear facing turbine, well i feel like somebody slapped me with a fence.
I have had a early model of a gunship (ok was lego) with a huge main gun and extra thrusts to compensate for the recoil.
let see if I'm able to put such a device in there.

so reduced the barrel length by ~ 1.6m (drop in muzzle energy from 50MJ to 35MJ (smaller projectile)
then i have done something you don't see - i reserved a definitive volume for the "variants" - RAC5, or Arrows
speaking of arrows - those 10 cruise missiles next to the Chopper - there that are "my" Arrows - full featured Cruise Missiles.
Why to put airdrop able Cruise Missiles on a chopper? Maybe its a navy version, or its used for guerrilla fighting when there are no runways but you want a chassis that can deliver cruise missiles and is fast enough not to get cornered in.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2018, 17:32:12 »
Oooh! When are you going to mass produce these bad boys?  >:D

No seriously. I like the redesign.

Why to put airdrop able Cruise Missiles on a chopper? Maybe its a navy version, or its used for guerrilla fighting when there are no runways but you want a chassis that can deliver cruise missiles and is fast enough not to get cornered in.

Nothing wrong with a little versatility in a fight. I could so see these being used in close quarters. Zip in, zip out and get the job done. Are your cruise missiles versatile in their load out or are they pretty much just RAC5 or Arrows, or could you tuck in small Nukes (ie nuclear tipped Mavericks or Harms)?

Just like to think outside the box a little.