Author Topic: Want to ask a Battletech Writer something?  (Read 13139 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Want to ask a Battletech Writer something?
« Reply #30 on: 26 March 2014, 21:24:45 »
Any questions about the stories I've written?  O:-)

Craig
Is it hard taking historical characters that were originally featured in the ye old long lost novels and make them your own?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #31 on: 26 March 2014, 21:56:58 »
Are you allowed to tell us which planet you have in mind for the setting of your theoretical Jihad Turning Point?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #32 on: 28 March 2014, 00:37:33 »
Is it hard taking historical characters that were originally featured in the ye old long lost novels and make them your own?

To be honest -- I've only used two canon character, and they were in minor roles. I used Khan Bjorn Jorgesson in The Clawing and Peter Steiner-Davion in the story Thirteen, because their presence was necessary for the stories.

I haven't consciously shied away from using canon characters, but unless I can find a good reason to include one, for their role to be important, I don't go looking for one. If I come up with a story that can use a canon character, I will, and I do have a few story ideas floating around involving canon characters, but nothing sold as of yet.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #33 on: 28 March 2014, 00:41:35 »
Are you allowed to tell us which planet you have in mind for the setting of your theoretical Jihad Turning Point?

Still a bit fuzzy right now, as it may be more than one planet involved. I will say it's an area that didn't get a lot of exposure during the Jihad era sourcebooks, but was still a lot of fighting. I have to clear a few things off my writing plate first before I can get back to that.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #34 on: 02 April 2014, 19:30:51 »
Just bumping this up....I'm still open to any questions (Within reason)  ;D

Craig

My Blogs!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #35 on: 04 April 2014, 14:20:03 »
Sure. Can you loan me ten bucks?  ;)

Just kidding.

More seriously:

How hard has BattleCorps been pushing to have fiction that meshes well with MechWarrior OnLine? It seems a very popular thing. Are they really trying hard to tap that market?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #36 on: 04 April 2014, 15:01:47 »
Just bumping this up....I'm still open to any questions (Within reason)  ;D

Craig

Ooh, I've got one that's been bugging me, maybe you can help.
Has anyone ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #37 on: 04 April 2014, 18:57:34 »
Sure. Can you loan me ten bucks?  ;)

Just kidding.

I had a choice: I could be a writer or rich.....I didn't chose rich.... [tickedoff]

More seriously:

How hard has BattleCorps been pushing to have fiction that meshes well with MechWarrior OnLine? It seems a very popular thing. Are they really trying hard to tap that market?

It's being discussed....Anything more than that, Jason Schmetzer (BC's editor and ruler of the domain, may his name be blessed) is the man to talk to (though you might have a better chance to get blood out of a stone then to get Jason to say anything....) O:-)

Craig
« Last Edit: 04 April 2014, 23:46:15 by trboturtle »

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #38 on: 04 April 2014, 19:01:34 »
Ooh, I've got one that's been bugging me, maybe you can help.
Has anyone ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

No.  >:/! >:/! [whipit] [whipit]

Craig
(no, I'm not mad at him. If I was, I'd drop the Wombat on his resident and let it rampage through the neighborhood, stealing pants and wallets, then buying every can of Inferno chili using his cards. THEN I would plot my revenge..... [skull])

My Blogs!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #39 on: 04 April 2014, 19:46:03 »
Jason Schmitzer (BC's editor and ruler of the domain, may his name be blessed)

Blessings probably more likely if it's spelled correctly. ;)

Schmetzer

Nekoryu

• Master Sergeant
  • All Good Things Come In Cans; Even People!
    • The Plano Mechwarrior and Battletech Guild
« Reply #40 on: 04 April 2014, 20:15:19 »
I'm a huge nerd for the Clans. Just wan to toss that out there because it pertains to my question:

When writing, how do you fill in gaps in canon where the info simply does not exist? How do you go about filling in information in a way that makes sense and still easily fits within the boundaries of behavior for a particular faction or group? I have a project idea in my head that involves compiling existing info on the Clan Warrior Caste's social and intimate behaviors for use as a guide for those in my group who like to RP and create deep, interesting characters. But the existing information is limited and very...what's the word...basic? All-encompassing? It doesn't account for differences between Clans...there's a word for it...un-detailed?? Yet I want to fill in information that still jives with the way the Warriors think.

Frigging BlueOrange mentality!
« Last Edit: 06 April 2014, 11:08:30 by Nekoryu »
So, now the Thor has TWO really angry nipple piercings. - Zerokei
He fell over, is on fire and now he's been karate-kicked in the face. Is the dancing on his chest really neccessary? - GM

The Plano MechWarrior and BattleTech Guild: Join Us On Facebook!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #41 on: 05 April 2014, 00:19:34 »
I'm a huge nerd for the Clans. Just wan to toss that out there because it pertains to my question:

When writing, how do you fill in gaps in canon where the info simply does not exist? How do you go about filling in information in a way that makes sense and still easily fits within the boundaries of behavior for a particular faction or group? I have a project idea in my head that involves compiling existing info on the Clan Warrior Caste's social and intimate behaviors for use as a guide for those in my group who like to RP and create deep, interesting characters. But the existing information is limited and very...what's the word...basic? All-encompassing? It doesn't account for differences between Clans...there's a word for it...un-detailed?? Yet I want to fill in information that still jives with the way the Warriors think.

Damn that BlueOrange mentality!

The first thing I do is find out everything I can about that Clan --- attitudes, beliefs, anything that gives me the mindset that a character from that Clan would have. Once I know that, then I can start filling in the unknown areas.

A prime example of this would be my Battlecorps story, The Clawing. It's about the Ghost Bears' ritual in which the Clan warriors will go on a hunt for the totem animal. But I wanted a new twist on the ritual.

I thought, "Wait a minutes, the Bears are moving to the Inner Sphere, lock, stock and barrel. How can they have the Clawing ritual when the nearest Ghost Bear is a year away, travel-wise? There's one mention in a DA novel that there was Ghost Bears in the Inner Sphere. It was clear to me that the Bears wouldn't give up the Ritual --- they would bring in Ghost Bears, put them in a reserve somewhere on their turf and continue the Ritual.

I also wanted to play up the tensions between the Clanners and the local population. I found a planet where the fighting had been extremely nasty, where the wounds would still be fresh. Then I thought, "What happens if a Ghost Bear got loose on the wrong planet?" From that point on, it all fell into place. I used the Ghost Bears Clan background to create something new, that was both reasonable and made sense. It also allowed me to show the tensions that still existed between conquerors and conquered.

So, take everything you know about the clan, and look for logical extensions that can be made from that canon knowledge. Use that as the frame of your idea and build from there.

The problem is that all that data is scattered across a few sourcebooks. It takes time, or you can ask on the clan sub-forum --- there are experts from all the clans who can answer any queston you may have.

Hope that helps!

Craig
« Last Edit: 06 April 2014, 11:38:38 by trboturtle »

My Blogs!

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 05 April 2014, 03:41:17 »
How much of your published work is stuff you were told to write and how much was something you wrote and submitted and it was accepted? And have you found that the relation between these two have shifted as time went on?

Also glad you still get the same thrill doing this as when you first started. Keep living the dream. O0

Nekoryu

• Master Sergeant
  • All Good Things Come In Cans; Even People!
    • The Plano Mechwarrior and Battletech Guild
« Reply #43 on: 06 April 2014, 11:09:36 »
Big help, hanks!
So, now the Thor has TWO really angry nipple piercings. - Zerokei
He fell over, is on fire and now he's been karate-kicked in the face. Is the dancing on his chest really neccessary? - GM

The Plano MechWarrior and BattleTech Guild: Join Us On Facebook!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #44 on: 06 April 2014, 14:48:41 »
How much of your published work is stuff you were told to write and how much was something you wrote and submitted and it was accepted? And have you found that the relation between these two have shifted as time went on?

Also glad you still get the same thrill doing this as when you first started. Keep living the dream. O0

We writers don't get too many orders about what to write and what not to write. We can't write beyond the current in-game year,  certain subjects are off-limits, no graphic gory or sex scenes, and no super technology, aliens, or anything that doesn't fit into the Battletch universe. Other than that, it's fairly relaxed.

If Jason Schmetzer wants a certain type of story (For an anthology, for example), he'll put an email out that says something like "I need stories set during Operation Rat." We writers then put together pitches and send them to Jason, and he picks out the ones he likes and gives us the go-ahead to write them.

The same thing with sourcebook writing. We pitch for parts of the sourcebook to write, we've given a framework for the part we're working with, and it goes from there. For IP3, there was a requirement for a few small interstellar states beyond the Inner Sphere. Each state had to be small and have a lower technology level than the Inner Sphere. I created the New Delphi Compact, a small, mostly rural state with a reason to stay away from the rest of the universe (the Delphi Curse, a major biohazard)

Looking at my story list, four of them were written as part of a series requested by Jason (Salvage, Family Ties, The Blood of Man, My Father's Sword) a couple of others were written for series that never materilized, while the rest were written with no series in mind.

So, while there is guidence from above, it isn't a heavy hand, and we have freedom to write within the universe for the most part.

Craig

My Blogs!

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #45 on: 06 April 2014, 15:19:54 »
What do you personally find to be the most challenging part of your writing process?
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

Aleksandr

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 07 April 2014, 17:33:23 »
I can't count the number of times I've started a story, or had an idea that I wanted to make into a battlecorps submission, but has crashed and burned due to getting hung up on small details. For example, I was once trying to write a story from a Steel Viper point of view during their ejection from the Inner Sphere - but I wound up getting stuck on whether or not they had ATMs available to them during that time. How do you figure out the small details like that?

Also, I know the last time I checked the submission guidelines, it tells new writers to stay on the sidelines of major events - how far off should we stay? And where is the line between a small time story and something that's outright irrelevant?

“These will be dark days, when Wolves prowl across Terra.” - Jonathon Cameron

Signature bar by HikageMaru

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #47 on: 07 April 2014, 19:03:07 »
Guys, give me another day or two to answer your question. I found out last night that a good friend and fellow Battletech player passed away last week, so I need to get over the shock and most of the grief. I will answer your question, so keep posting them. Just need a day or two to get my act together again.

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #48 on: 09 April 2014, 12:23:58 »
I'm back. Thank you all for your patience....

What do you personally find to be the most challenging part of your writing process?

The details of the plot. I don't outline my short stories for the most part, only the longer ones or stories I'm pitching to Jason. I know where the plot is supposed to go, but sometimes I end up taking a different route then I expected to. Sometimes I have to hammer the plot back into shape because it flows off in another direction or expands beyond what the core plot calls for.

Sometimes the plot comes easy, other times, not so much. The Promise took a long time, because I couldn't get the plot right, but Reap what you Sow prety much came out as I imagined it to be.

Sometimes it's, "I know I'm going north, but oh, here's a path to the east that looks interesting, and....where am I?" I have to retrace my steps and start heading north again. Other times, I head north and have a nice walk through the plot.

Hope that helps....

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #49 on: 09 April 2014, 13:19:10 »
I can't count the number of times I've started a story, or had an idea that I wanted to make into a battlecorps submission, but has crashed and burned due to getting hung up on small details. For example, I was once trying to write a story from a Steel Viper point of view during their ejection from the Inner Sphere - but I wound up getting stuck on whether or not they had ATMs available to them during that time. How do you figure out the small details like that?

First rule of writing: Finish what you start. Get the story down in some physacal or eletronic form that you can see. Once the story is down, then you can worry about details.

As for the details, if they're major details, find out before you start. One of the things I do is start listing the forces I need for any combat in the story. Before I start writing any combat, I know what the forces are and who is piloting what. I try to chose a vehicle that I feel fits the character, so it becomes an extesion of the character. In Thirteen, I chose a Zeus for the main character because the story was set on Tharkad, and the 'Mech is a Commonwealth/Alliance icon design. For The Blood of Man I chose a Highlander because it fit the character. Decide before you do anything what equipment and vehicles your characters will be using.

As for the Vipers having ATMs - unless there is some written somewhere that makes it impossible for the Vipers to have ATMs, you can assume they have ATMs. After all, they did overrun a few Falcon worlds, it would make sense they would have aquired Falcon equipment and supplies.

I just loked up ATMS in Technical Manual. Clan Coyote created them in 3054, which is plenty of time for Steel Vipers to aquire some, either through trial or salvage. When is the story set?

Also, I know the last time I checked the submission guidelines, it tells new writers to stay on the sidelines of major events - how far off should we stay? And where is the line between a small time story and something that's outright irrelevant?

You can run along the sidelines of events, or taking a small sliver of a major event and making your own. Salvage was a coming of age story, with a major event for the main character, but one that doesn't affect the rest of the large narrative. (It also allowed me to recon a mistake the the 4th Sucessor War Atlas, but to do so in character development). the same with Hero's Bridge, using the events of Operation Rat to tell the story.

As I look at my story list I see that Thirteen was in the immediate aftermath of the Word of Blake's attack on Tharkad, Family Ties took place during Operation KLONDIKE, State of Grace took place during the Battles for New Avalon during the Jihad, The Lance Killer during the Fed-Com War, and My Father's Sword took place during the opening of the Clan Invasion. Despite all those stories being a part of those events, the characters have no influence on the great stage.

My suggestion to to use the events as a backdrop to your story. Instead of the Main characters influencing events, have the events influence them. From the stories above, all the main characters have been changed by the events they experienced. From the TerraSec officer fighting a desperate battle against a larger force, to a man who has survived when everyone else around him fell, to the young warrior willing to fight a superior foe to allow his comrades to escape, none of them are the same as they were at the start of the story.

On the other hand, I have a number of stories that aren't set against any documented events, but they don't need them. Yet the characters are still not the same ones as they were when they started.

So, instead of having your characters influence events, have the events influence the characters.

Hope that helps,

Craig

My Blogs!

Aleksandr

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 10 April 2014, 14:30:18 »
First rule of writing: Finish what you start. Get the story down in some physacal or eletronic form that you can see. Once the story is down, then you can worry about details.

As for the details, if they're major details, find out before you start. One of the things I do is start listing the forces I need for any combat in the story. Before I start writing any combat, I know what the forces are and who is piloting what. I try to chose a vehicle that I feel fits the character, so it becomes an extesion of the character. In Thirteen, I chose a Zeus for the main character because the story was set on Tharkad, and the 'Mech is a Commonwealth/Alliance icon design. For The Blood of Man I chose a Highlander because it fit the character. Decide before you do anything what equipment and vehicles your characters will be using.

As for the Vipers having ATMs - unless there is some written somewhere that makes it impossible for the Vipers to have ATMs, you can assume they have ATMs. After all, they did overrun a few Falcon worlds, it would make sense they would have aquired Falcon equipment and supplies.

I just loked up ATMS in Technical Manual. Clan Coyote created them in 3054, which is plenty of time for Steel Vipers to aquire some, either through trial or salvage. When is the story set?

Finishing things is definitely something I've just become much worse at since I graduated from college, to the point where I tend to lose interest in story ideas within a week or so. I'll have to try rushing it out next time and treating it like a fan fiction until it's time to edit it, and see if that helps avoiding any roadblocks like that. This particular idea was set in 3060 or 3061, so if the ATMs really were that old then it shouldn't have been a problem - I however don't have access to Tech Manual, so I was just guessing based on FM: Warden Clans, heh.

As for the examples, those actually help quite a bit, thanks!

“These will be dark days, when Wolves prowl across Terra.” - Jonathon Cameron

Signature bar by HikageMaru

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #51 on: 16 April 2014, 15:38:03 »
In case anyone wants to know what I'm up to, my Battletech blog is here: http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/

Craig

My Blogs!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #52 on: 16 April 2014, 22:36:59 »
In case anyone wants to know what I'm up to, my Battletech blog is here: http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/

Craig
That's a wonderful tribute to your friend Rob, by getting his long-lost design canon status with story to boot.  Good Show man.  Thanks to Mr. Bills for approving it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #53 on: 21 April 2014, 15:22:31 »
Okay an update and a challenge.... ;)

I have three stories I've started, set in three different eras (Star League, Jihad and post Jihad/Dark Age).Each has a thousand words plus written, and I'm looking at my half-completed stories to see what I can bring forward into the group. (I tend to bounce from story to story, so instead of working just on story A, I have Story A, B, C, D, E, and mybe F that I write in spurts. It keeps me from having writer's block.

So, here's the challenge....

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR PLOTS!!!

What I am looking for is suggestions for eras, events, or characters you want to see more of.

Eras: Do you want to see something set during the Reunifacation War, Amaris Civil War, First and Second Sucessor War, or something set in the Dark Age Era? Let me know.

Are there any characters of mine you want to see more of --- Gazael, Angar, Nigel or any of the others. How about a canon character? No promises here, but I will do the best I can.

Think a faction needs some exposure? There are plenty of them out here, and a lot of places I haven't been to yet.

All I'm looking for is something like, "I want to see a story set during the Dark Age," "I want to see another Gazael story," "How about something from the New Delphi Compact?" or "How about a story with Hansen's Roughriders?"

Keep the requests general, guys, and I'll see what I can do.....

Craig

My Blogs!

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
« Reply #54 on: 21 April 2014, 15:34:18 »
I'd like to see a story set in the Dark Age.

I won't hamstring you by dictating characters, factions or whatnot but something DA would be grand!   O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #55 on: 21 April 2014, 15:34:46 »
1) Era: Late Dark Age - Character: Calamity Kell -1) I would like to see Calamity Kell's actions during her reforged Kell Hounds merc unit, while they conducting their revenge raids in the Clan Occupation Zones.

2) Era: Jihad - Unit: reborn Rolling Thunder, Faction: Regulan - I'd like read their campaign of the unit, since they were mentioned to having been reforged during the Jihad and did a end run with unspecify ending. I'd like to see new characters if possible brought to light, perhaps as rough and crazy as those found in the original scenario book.

Thank you sir!  Hopefully this meets your challenge's requirements.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #56 on: 22 April 2014, 21:48:46 »
Upfront I'll say I haven't subscribed to battlecorps for new fiction. I keep looking at it and thinking "Maybe..." but I haven't gone and done it yet. Some of this discussion has caused that thought to start rattling around my head again, so "maybe..."

Something I'd like to see would be a story set in the Amaris Civil war era, maybe giving a better idea what Rim Worlders' take on it all was. Of course if this exists already and I can read it from BC let me know and that might just force the "maybe..." over the line into "Done."
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Register