Author Topic: Sheet Creation  (Read 3586 times)

John Mukowski

• Recruit
Sheet Creation
« on: 12 April 2017, 06:34:26 »
Is RemLab an acceptable creation tool or should I download Solaris Skunk Works?

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
Re: Sheet Creation
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2017, 15:41:57 »
Download MegaMek Lab.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2017, 05:00:34 »
The only one I've tried so far is Solaris Skunk Werks, but I have to say I like it just fine.  Works great, and I've found it nearly effortless to learn.   Unless someone can present a really good reason to even bother with another one, I don't think I'll even carve the time out to explore.  I've found I can print off sheets for a gazillion different variants or even custom mechs on the fly, right as needed, with SSW. 
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2017, 06:27:37 »
The only one I've tried so far is Solaris Skunk Werks, but I have to say I like it just fine.  Works great, and I've found it nearly effortless to learn.   Unless someone can present a really good reason to even bother with another one, I don't think I'll even carve the time out to explore.  I've found I can print off sheets for a gazillion different variants or even custom mechs on the fly, right as needed, with SSW. 

The only problem is that it can't handle some of the new new Dark Age tech, but it's fine for everything up to TacOps.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2017, 20:48:04 »
Has it been abandoned? The site shows the last update posted on Sep 11, 2014, just shy of three years ago.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2017, 00:41:34 »
Has it been abandoned? The site shows the last update posted on Sep 11, 2014, just shy of three years ago.

As far as I know it has been. MegaMek Labs is more up to date, and pretty much just as easy to learn, even though there are some differences. It also does more than just Mechs.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2017, 05:07:38 »
Thanks; I've give it another look.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2017, 05:15:48 »
I wish I could get Megamek to run but keep getting a registry that says something about it referring to a version of runtime doesn't exist
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2017, 20:19:06 »
Mordel.net!!

Don't need Java for a web based designer...

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2017, 20:30:00 »
Stinger,

If I want to 'complete' an entry, how would I edit it? For example, the KTO-19 Kintaro does not have any TRO text, nor a picture, and some of the information is wrong (or missing). How do I access the edit features for that?

What about html?
« Last Edit: 15 June 2017, 20:38:59 by Revanche »

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2017, 07:12:30 »
Stinger,

If I want to 'complete' an entry, how would I edit it? For example, the KTO-19 Kintaro does not have any TRO text, nor a picture, and some of the information is wrong (or missing). How do I access the edit features for that?

What about html?

You may only edit 'Mechs that you submit yourself.  But!

If you submit a new unit (link of the left or under the ministry of intelligence tab).  From there, in the upper left corner, you can select "Load configuration from existing design" or the little white box with a red arrow icon.

From there you can add your fluff, but you may have to change the name of the 'Mech.  Maybe just add you username to the end of the name...

Also, any errors you can submit a bug report and Mordel (the admin) will get it fixed in a jiffy.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2017, 15:09:37 »
Aaah, ok. For errors, making the bug reports make sense, but submitting Overview/Capabilities/etc fluff in a bug report seems a bit like pushing off the responsibility onto Mordel.

Appreciate the response.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2017, 16:09:22 »

It makes me wonder if there any excel base files for sheet creation.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2017, 14:52:43 »
Aaah, ok. For errors, making the bug reports make sense, but submitting Overview/Capabilities/etc fluff in a bug report seems a bit like pushing off the responsibility onto Mordel.

Appreciate the response.

The canon designs purposefully do not contain the fluff on my site. The main reasoning behind it was that there needs to be some reason for the consumer to by the readouts. If the fluff existed as part of the designs on the web, then why buy the readout?

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2017, 14:58:29 »
Similar reasoning at Sarna's BTW. Understandable.

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2017, 15:30:54 »
Aaah, ok. For errors, making the bug reports make sense.

I'd also be curious to know what errors you see. I input a lot of the older designs based on original record sheets, so it's possible the newer record sheets have things laid out a tad differently.I usually update those as someone points them out.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 June 2017, 15:55:22 »

Yes, the creator quit supporting it with that release.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

tribunal88

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2017, 06:12:32 »
I have a an online designer as well you might check out. I call it the Machine Shop, and I incorporated all of TacOps and 3145 into it as well. You need to register to make designs, but the Catalog and Search pages are public. I'm especially pleased with how the Search page turned out as far as being able to look for either mechs that meet any of the loadout criteria or all of them. Cut way down on the time it takes us to get a balanced group together.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2017, 07:48:25 »
I'd also be curious to know what errors you see. I input a lot of the older designs based on original record sheets, so it's possible the newer record sheets have things laid out a tad differently.I usually update those as someone points them out.

Apologies, mordel; just saw your reply. I don't recall now what errors I saw in the Kintaro specs. I ended up moving on to MekLab to build the units I sought and just created wiki templates for my site.

I have a an online designer as well you might check out. I call it the Machine Shop, and I incorporated all of TacOps and 3145 into it as well. You need to register to make designs, but the Catalog and Search pages are public. I'm especially pleased with how the Search page turned out as far as being able to look for either mechs that meet any of the loadout criteria or all of them. Cut way down on the time it takes us to get a balanced group together.

That's pretty cool, tribunal88. Will you be adding other unit types to it?
« Last Edit: 03 September 2017, 07:52:23 by Revanche »

ChrystalNiNja88

• Corporal
  • THE WORD, THE WORD, THE WORD....
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2017, 09:16:43 »
I use Solaris for pre-Republic/Dark Age designs and Megameklab for newer designs. I wish I could use Solaris for everything, as I love it's UI and the additional hit/cluster/move tables you can have on recordsheets. Super useful for a noob like me who hasn't had 2 or 3 decades to memorize that stuff lol.
Socket to me! -Robot Nixon

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2017, 09:55:36 »
Curiously, the latest update to the SSW source code on sourceforge is dated October 2016, so maybe there's hope it'll come back after all...

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2017, 10:18:18 »
I wish I could get Megamek to run but keep getting a registry that says something about it referring to a version of runtime doesn't exist

Sounds like you're running an older version of java. Megamek needs Java 8 to run correctly.  Also if you're running on a Mac we've had issues.

We have a sub-forum here (http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?board=29.0) feel free to post a looking for help thread, and the Dev and our regular players will try and help you out.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2017, 10:22:48 »
Curiously, the latest update to the SSW source code on sourceforge is dated October 2016, so maybe there's hope it'll come back after all...

I think the updates are only people posting bugs on the tracker.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #23 on: 03 September 2017, 10:43:10 »
Does anyone know of a program that works with Super Heavy Mech???
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #24 on: 03 September 2017, 11:39:06 »
Does anyone know of a program that works with Super Heavy Mech???
MegaMek Lab does.  Set the Tech Level to Advanced or Experimental and type in a weight greater than 100 tons.  It automatically changes to a Super-Heavy mech.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #25 on: 04 September 2017, 03:57:46 »
MegaMek Lab does.  Set the Tech Level to Advanced or Experimental and type in a weight greater than 100 tons.  It automatically changes to a Super-Heavy mech.

Awesome thanks for the update. Will give it a try.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

tribunal88

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 04 September 2017, 19:39:45 »
That's pretty cool, tribunal88. Will you be adding other unit types to it?

As a matter of fact, it also supports Combat Vehicles. However they never saw any interest from designers, so I didn't expand into other units.

tribunal88

• Private
« Reply #27 on: 04 September 2017, 20:04:21 »
As long as I'm plugging The Machine Shop, I'll also add that a couple other neat features are a landscape record sheet which (I think) is a little more efficient. It also has the ability to dynamically change ammo type when the record sheet is generated. Modifications also include changes to range as a result of the swap (if applicable). It does MM export (also with ammo swaps). Some other minutia that's in there is armored equipment and turret-mounting. Tac Ops was a pain to fully integrate, but I believe all options are there. Most legalities are reconciled when equipment is added, with feedback if a placement or item renders the design illegal. Some legalities do have to wait for a full publish. Lastly, before publishing, it scans the entire database for other units which feature the same base, movement, equipment, etc. as what you're submitting. If there's already a unit out there which matches your design, it helpfully links you to it. No need to reinvent the wheel, after all.

I haven't had much to update it with since Field Manual 3145 came out (tripods and superheavies - more pain, especially the partial-crit rules). Just a few bug fixes here and there. A couple months back, someoe noticed I didn't have Incendiary LRMs. That's the nice things about having it driven by a database. Half an hour and a few SQL statements later, and the new equipment was available. No code changes or application restarts needed.