Author Topic: GW Liquid Green Stuff!  (Read 6166 times)

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
GW Liquid Green Stuff!
« on: 02 January 2012, 15:24:27 »
Guys and gals of the miniature world (and especially those of us who deal in IWM products  ;D).  The new GW Paint on grenn Stuff is our saving grace!!!!! I just picked up a pot of this Saturday, did a few kit bashes that night using 'throw away' parts from my bin (mis-casts and such) and this stuff brought them back to life baby! It even fixed the terrible miss caste prevelant to the MadCat MkII missile pods! It's so easy to use too. paint it on kinda heavy (it's failr thick) into the recess. Allow to dry for about 10 minutes and then file/sand smooth. You can even use small tools or such to add or re-carve tiny details. Just thought I would share with you guys.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
Re: GW Liquid Green Stuff!
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2012, 15:33:05 »
Hmmm, I wonder if this stuff is anything like Mr. Surfacer?
Maker of big things.

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2012, 22:52:16 »
This sounds like something I am going to have to look into. Thanks, Gunz.  O0
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2012, 22:54:37 »
Pictures?
Maker of big things.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2012, 08:48:56 »
Picked up a pot recently and the few tests I did are very encouraging. It is great as a gap filler because it is so easy to use and apply. No mixing, no waste and dries quickly. But there is also a lot of shrinkage and a second or even third coat may be necessary to fill deeper gaps. As Todd already pointed out it can be sanded once dry (one of its real strengths). thin it with a drop of water and it is even easier to use imho.
But don't let the "Green Stuff" in the name fool you - this is not a sculpting putty.

RacerX

• Sergeant
    • Royal Terra Guard - MWO Home
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2012, 16:17:14 »
Yeah, let's see some before, during, and after pictures.  This sounds interesting and, if it's from GW, excessivly expensive.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2012, 16:25:48 »
Yeah, let's see some before, during, and after pictures.  This sounds interesting and, if it's from GW, excessivly expensive.
Actually it seemed to be the same price as their paint pots. I would recommend looking at Mr. Surfacer (500, 1000, 1200). It sounds like the same idea, but the filler material comes in three different sizes. and comes in larger bottle sizes.

Maker of big things.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2012, 07:33:27 »
I do hope it's available in Europe. I need to check this, thanks for the head up!  O0
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

brathac3108

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Solaris7.pl
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2012, 06:22:33 »
I do hope it's available in Europe. I need to check this, thanks for the head up!  O0

GW is a British company. You may be 100% sure, that their products are available in Europe. ;)
www.solaris7.pl - BattleTech in Poland
Catalyst Demo Agent #465

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2012, 08:31:53 »
@foxbat: Seen it at several gaming stores so far. Every place carrying GW paints should have it

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2012, 09:06:36 »
I picked some up over the weekend, and have used it on a pesky arm that refuses to stay fixed.  Its very thick, and make sure you close the cap quick because it seemed to me as if it started to dry pretty quick.  I will also post some progress reports with this stuff as well because it doees clean up easily and seem like a great seem filler especially.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Nostra

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2012, 20:47:53 »
I've used some myself for various modeling projects. It is indeed handy as a gap-filler, easy to "paint" onto a model. However, it's nearly impossible to "sculpt" in any way for models, so it's kind of a toss up depending on what you're trying to accomplish with it.

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2012, 07:43:51 »
how so you clean it Off your brushes?

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2012, 09:58:53 »
It's water based. And yes, definatly not for sculpting. Just a really thick paint to help with casting blemishes or oopsies.
Maker of big things.

rafale56

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2012, 17:43:39 »

Already available since many months, i bought one of it to try....and it works marvelously O0. I guess you should take a look in a GW shop around bordeaux. ;)

Friendly

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #15 on: 06 March 2012, 09:33:31 »
What is it called EXACTLY when ordering?
I need to know this so I can see if I can get my FLGS to get it in, but after a debacle where
'ardcoat is called something else in the GW ordering system, I want to know the exact name
so I can make sure I get the right stuff...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: 06 March 2012, 13:22:13 »
Liquid Green Stuff is EXACTLY what it is called.  O0

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #17 on: 06 March 2012, 14:25:22 »
how so you clean it Off your brushes?

You have to use a spatula,otherwise throw your brushes.
Mee too Guntz,I know I have only discovered a few weeks ago.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 March 2012, 16:06:43 »
You have to use a spatula,otherwise throw your brushes.
Mee too Guntz,I know I have only discovered a few weeks ago.

Not true, it's totally water soluable as long as it doesn't dry on your brush.

-Gunz

krazzyharry

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 06 March 2012, 19:36:59 »
I picked up a pot this weekend hoping it was good stuff to have, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I am glad to see that I made the right choice...

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2012, 19:48:14 »
Not true, it's totally water soluable as long as it doesn't dry on your brush.

-Gunz

+1  It washes off really easy when fresh.

-Jackmc

Stride

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 07 March 2012, 02:06:23 »
you guys sure this isn't just Future Floor Shine, talcum powder, and a drop of green ink...? >:D

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 07 March 2012, 09:13:15 »
For all I care it could be plaster - it works - and the pot is going to last forever. So saving 1$ by trying myself wouldnt be worth the fuzz even if it was that simple.

Wolverine

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 07 March 2012, 10:13:08 »
HI,  I'm curious if it shrinks alot when curing, you'd be able to tell on a thick application little cracks would appear after full cure.
Also do you need to do more than a alcohol swab surface prep to get good adhesion, like a lite sanding prior to gooping it on ?
And is it compatible with most primers ?
Just a few things I'm wondering about with this new stuff, sounds promising so far,
J
"It's called the Awesome for a very good reason"

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #24 on: 07 March 2012, 10:17:41 »
I didn't thought to use brushes to lay dow the liquid green stuff anyway,even if I'm invited to do so,but maybe I'm going to use old brushes that usually I used for basing and vinilic glue,I don't want to risk a brush that cost 5€ each when is still in mint condintion.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #25 on: 07 March 2012, 11:16:04 »
HI,  I'm curious if it shrinks alot when curing, you'd be able to tell on a thick application little cracks would appear after full cure.

Not really.  The thing to remember is that this isn't actually "green stuff", it's just a convinent marketing name.  It's more like an extra thick acrylic paint with a hardner.  it skins up like acrylic paint and then sets up hard.

Also do you need to do more than a alcohol swab surface prep to get good adhesion, like a lite sanding prior to gooping it on ?

If it's clean enough to paint upon, it's clean enough for LGS.  Just understand that this is gap filler, not a bonder.  It'll stay where you put it, but it won't hold stuff together.

And is it compatible with most primers ?

Krylon, Wal-mart cheap stuff, Rustoleum, GW and Armoury brands seem to work just fine.

I didn't thought to use brushes to lay dow the liquid green stuff anyway

It's really the best way.  The stuff a bit too thin to easily coax with paddles and waaay to thin to use picks with until it's started to setup. 

I don't want to risk a brush that cost 5€ each when is still in mint condintion.

I understand.  I was hesistant at first, but eventally ended up using both my main brush and my fine detail brush and given what the euro is doing vs the USD right now, I guess they are 5 euro brushes.

-Jackmc