Author Topic: The Unseen, an obsolete Explanation and a List  (Read 15016 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
The Unseen, an obsolete Explanation and a List
« on: 24 January 2011, 00:02:43 »
Folks,

The below posts are all effectively obsolete - please see new stickied thread.

Worktroll, 22 August, 2011
As per forum rule 8: do not post any images of the Unseen in your posts. The list of current Unseen is:

• Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie
    Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Archer
    Warhammer
    Marauder
    Longbow
    Marauder II
    Stinger LAM
    Wasp LAM
    Phoenix Hawk LAM

This means no artwork of these 'Mechs from any Sourcebook, Technical Readout or the images from the respective shows they originally debuted on. Nor may images of toys, models or other paraphernalia related to these Unseen be used in any form with the following exceptions:
- You may have an icon under your name with an Unseen Picture on it if you want, and
- You may post pictures of your painted miniatures.

Posting links to pictures on other sites is also acceptable.
What does all this mean? In short ...

1) You may freely put up pictures of any minis you own, be they Unseen, Reseen, plastic model kits or gnawed out of cakes of soap by trained hamsters. The more the merrier! (Btw, posting pictures of minis you don't own, without permission from their owner, is not a good thing. I only include this, as there are unscrupulous people who used to use images taken from other people's work in eBat auctions to try & fool unsuspecting buyers - that's the only reason I mention this aspect)

2) You may also put up pictures of any Reseen minis that you own or have permission for.

3) You may not post images taken from any publication which depict any of the current list of Unseen, or the source material from which they werre drawn. So no Macross Valkyries, Mospedia Bioroids, or scans from the original TROs. This also includes any artwork which substantially includes components taken directly from such artwork. This also includes related images - eg. don't post document images of the Destroid MAC III, VF-19, etc - leave well enough alone, please.

4) You may post links to web pages or illustrations which show images covered above. (One can only assume that lawyers understand the net difference. Hey, we're just looking to stay out of trouble)

Hopefully, that covers the questions. Note:

a) I'm still happy to answer questions on "is this legit" - but as for the "why & wherefore", or "who do I shoot" ones, look for the rehashes of the subject in the General Discussions forum.

b) Being BattleTech, there's probably going to be errata to the above - please PM me with any errors you notice, I'll retcon them in in finest TPTB style

Cheers,

Worktroll, Moderator
« Last Edit: 21 August 2011, 18:37:36 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Papabees

• Lieutenant
Re: The Unseen, an Explanation and a List
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2011, 14:05:43 »
I have some Btech scale Macross models that I have repainted. If I post pics of them as Macross models is that OK or still a no no?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2011, 17:12:28 »
From above:

1) You may freely put up pictures of any minis you own, be they Unseen, Reseen, plastic model kits or gnawed out of cakes of soap by trained hamsters. The more the merrier!

The main Unseen rules are about artwork, not minis. However, be aware that there are some people making illegal reproductions of Macross minis. AFAIK, the only legit BT-scale macross minis are:
- the FASA-era Unseen
- Dark Horse Robotech minis
- Gashapon (Japanese plastic minis).

If in doubt, PM me with details of where you acquired them, and/or a pic.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2011, 19:42:39 »
From above:

The main Unseen rules are about artwork, not minis. However, be aware that there are some people making illegal reproductions of Macross minis. AFAIK, the only legit BT-scale macross minis are:
- the FASA-era Unseen
- Dark Horse Robotech minis
- Gashapon (Japanese plastic minis).

If in doubt, PM me with details of where you acquired them, and/or a pic.

W.

thanks

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2011, 10:15:24 »
'Troll...will you be updating this list with the most current info from GenCon '11?

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2011, 17:30:25 »
Alas, yes, soon.

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2011, 00:07:55 »
I'm a bit curious, the best my interweb scrying has been able to find is that more are going on the unseen list. Any word on which ones it is?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2011, 01:40:24 »
I'm a bit curious, the best my interweb scrying has been able to find is that more are going on the unseen list. Any word on which ones it is?

*sighs* Great...we just get stuff back in '09, and Harmony Gold finds ways to take it away again :(
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Dr Lucky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2011, 01:48:06 »
I was really thinking we were getting a "good news" annoucement about the Unseen.  I was kind of hoping that we were about to hear we were getting the old minis back in production for the not-so-unseen-anymore like the Goliath and Scorpion.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2011, 10:14:19 »
I was really thinking we were getting a "good news" annoucement about the Unseen.  I was kind of hoping that we were about to hear we were getting the old minis back in production for the not-so-unseen-anymore like the Goliath and Scorpion.

I think it's time to just let them go and retcon the entire group.

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2011, 10:41:27 »
I concur wholeheartedly
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2011, 10:44:37 »
I concur wholeheartedly
And I, for the record, strongly disagree with this sentiment.  >:(
There, it was said. So please let's not have that bickering again. The unseen are a sore wound for most of us one way or another, and best left alone unless something positive can be said.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

RJM

• Sergeant
  • "How do I define honor? Success." -Vlad Ward
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2011, 10:58:50 »

This is the standpoint I just don't understand at all.  Yeah, it sucks that we'll probably never have them back in a manner that allows new art/minis/whatever.  But what exactly is gained by "removing" them from all historical in-universe settings?  It's not like the people that are still attached to the images will just forget they ever existing and stop feeling how they feel, regardless.

All that old product will still be out there, and all the old minis.  They just make even less sense after a total retcon.

I think Frabby has it right.  Just leave it be.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2011, 11:48:35 »
This is the standpoint I just don't understand at all.  Yeah, it sucks that we'll probably never have them back in a manner that allows new art/minis/whatever.  But what exactly is gained by "removing" them from all historical in-universe settings?  It's not like the people that are still attached to the images will just forget they ever existing and stop feeling how they feel, regardless.

All that old product will still be out there, and all the old minis.  They just make even less sense after a total retcon.

I think Frabby has it right.  Just leave it be.

They will never come back.  They will never be utilized in any form in the game again...other than 'stats'.  The artwork for any of them is pariah.  They are a constant source of strife, consternation, and legal wrangling.  They are obsolete.

Get over it.  Move on.

"If the art is gone, you must retcon."
« Last Edit: 15 August 2011, 11:55:58 by M-Rex »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2011, 12:10:28 »
I really love the unseens. That being said, we will never get them back. I'd actually really like to see a new TRO 3025 with all the unseens as the PP art along with all the 2750 downgrades and all the primitives/ age of war era mechs like the hammerhands and ones like that.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

RJM

• Sergeant
  • "How do I define honor? Success." -Vlad Ward
« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2011, 12:39:18 »

They will never come back.  They will never be utilized in any form in the game again...other than 'stats'.  The artwork for any of them is pariah.  They are a constant source of strife, consternation, and legal wrangling.  They are obsolete.

Get over it.  Move on.

"If the art is gone, you must retcon."

Thanks for totally reading my post and engaging in a discussion...  You're pretty much the only real source of strife and consternation I'm finding in here right now too, by the way. 

No, they won't come back.  But so what?  What I was asking you in your extreme stance on the matter, is what exactly is really gained by pretending they never existed via retcon? 

I'm ok that they're gone, and stuck in a 'historical' function effectively.  It's your annoyingly extreme idea at a solution, and abrasively "I'm right, you're wrong, get over it" posts that bother me more than anything.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2011, 13:49:23 »
Thanks for totally reading my post and engaging in a discussion...  You're pretty much the only real source of strife and consternation I'm finding in here right now too, by the way. 

No, they won't come back.  But so what?  What I was asking you in your extreme stance on the matter, is what exactly is really gained by pretending they never existed via retcon? 

I'm ok that they're gone, and stuck in a 'historical' function effectively.  It's your annoyingly extreme idea at a solution, and abrasively "I'm right, you're wrong, get over it" posts that bother me more than anything.

All that negative stuff goes away with a retcon.  The unseen no longer are a point of contention.  The artwork is no longer a point of contention.  The use of the miniatures in official sources no longer is a point of contention.  The 'we can't use them - we can use them - we can't use them - we can use SOME of them - Oops...nope, we can't use them after all' point of contention goes away.  The bus drives on.

What's the benefit in keeping them and not retconning?

And I am right.  Just cope.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2011, 14:00:45 by M-Rex »

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #17 on: 15 August 2011, 14:33:41 »
Happy older fans. We like it when hope remains alive.  TPTB have certainly invested a lot of time and effort into recovering them, so I'd guess they think they're worth it.

It seems to me that all these "points of contention" remain the purview of our fanbase, vastly constricted to the internet, and are usually started over aesthetics. 

By the same token, what's the benefit in retconning them?  You don't get another set of miniatures if the Reseen always looked that way, and if you do want new ones, how many designs do we have right now that are already in need of a miniature?  You don't get free art to stick in PDFs of old sourcebooks; that's not worth the time and effort.  The old miniatures will still be around, agents will still be banned from using them at official events, and some people will still show up with them on occasion.  You'll also still have to explain the events to anyone that asks, either with the short or long version.  Is it that we won't have to discuss them anymore?  I have a short answer for that problem as well.

Meanwhile, here's hoping whomever puts up the next Unseen information sticky goes ahead and locks it.

CDT Special Agent #343

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2011, 14:48:13 »
Happy older fans. We like it when hope remains alive.  TPTB have certainly invested a lot of time and effort into recovering them, so I'd guess they think they're worth it.

It seems to me that all these "points of contention" remain the purview of our fanbase, vastly constricted to the internet, and are usually started over aesthetics. 

By the same token, what's the benefit in retconning them?  You don't get another set of miniatures if the Reseen always looked that way, and if you do want new ones, how many designs do we have right now that are already in need of a miniature?  You don't get free art to stick in PDFs of old sourcebooks; that's not worth the time and effort.  The old miniatures will still be around, agents will still be banned from using them at official events, and some people will still show up with them on occasion.  You'll also still have to explain the events to anyone that asks, either with the short or long version.  Is it that we won't have to discuss them anymore?  I have a short answer for that problem as well.

Meanwhile, here's hoping whomever puts up the next Unseen information sticky goes ahead and locks it.

As an older fan I'd enjoy being able to show the most common units in the universe in Historicals. My first choice would be getting the rights but since that looks like its NOT going to happen coming up with new art that fits the Aesthetic of the SL/SW better than the unseen do would be a mitzvah.

It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Dr Lucky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2011, 14:54:53 »

Here's to that!

I was just looking for information and speculating as to what it might be.  I certainly didn't mean to get everyone so worked up...

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #20 on: 15 August 2011, 15:05:23 »
As an older fan I'd enjoy being able to show the most common units in the universe in Historicals. My first choice would be getting the rights but since that looks like its NOT going to happen coming up with new art that fits the Aesthetic of the SL/SW better than the unseen do would be a mitzvah.
Assuming you meant the Reseen, you mean this doesn't just warm your heart?   ::)

Anyway, you do have a valid point.  If there was a retcon plus new art, that would be a benefit of that process.  I suspect we'd end up with more arguments over aesthetics, though.

CDT Special Agent #343

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #21 on: 15 August 2011, 15:46:16 »
I say Brent Evans appoints a temporary replacement for himself as art director, and locks himself in a vault where they keep the Colonels Secret Recipe and the coca-cola formula, and works away until he redesigns succession war era unseens from the ground up ala the Wolverine II from Operation Kondike (which will act as the replacement for the Wolverine)
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: 15 August 2011, 16:07:56 »
EDIT: Agreed with below post.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2011, 16:29:31 by Sigma »

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2011, 16:23:12 »
I saw we continue this discussion in a regular thread, and leave the announcement thread for, I don't know, announcements?
-James Degenhardt

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #24 on: 15 August 2011, 16:41:10 »
Well from the original Unseens we have got some back.
Check this list:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Of those only these are still a problem:
Wasp
Stinger
Valkyrie
Phoenix Hawk
Rifleman
Crusader
Archer
Warhammer
Marauder
Longbow
Marauder II
Stinger LAM
Wasp LAM
Phoenix Hawk LAM

We got some back and sooner or later we get them all back, no need to waste time for retcon especially as there is nothing"wrong" with them, we just can't use the art an that is only officially.
It was an "acceptable"(at best) way the change the art for the refitted version with all the new tech flowing into them but there is simply no need to do that with the original versions, especially on a 3025 level those units are more or less used daily and have burned themselves in there original appearance into those players that use them but would they care about a retcon version?
No
And would others not using them care about new art?
No.
So no need to even think about retcon the original art, same counts for minis, those who use them mostly have them and those who don't use them don't are about new minis, so no gain on that side too.

And if someone can't stand the topic "Unseen" then he should simply move on instead of throwing up heretic ideas.

@00Dawg
That cover almost make me vomit.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2011, 16:45:22 »
Well from the original Unseens we have got some back.
Check this list:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Of those only these are still a problem:
Wasp
Stinger
Valkyrie
Phoenix Hawk
Rifleman
Crusader
Archer
Warhammer
Marauder
Longbow
Marauder II
Stinger LAM
Wasp LAM
Phoenix Hawk LAM

We got some back and sooner or later we get them all back, no need to waste time for retcon especially as there is nothing"wrong" with them, we just can't use the art an that is only officially.
It was an "acceptable"(at best) way the change the art for the refitted version with all the new tech flowing into them but there is simply no need to do that with the original versions, especially on a 3025 level those units are more or less used daily and have burned themselves in there original appearance into those players that use them but would they care about a retcon version?
No
And would others not using them care about new art?
No.
So no need to even think about retcon the original art, same counts for minis, those who use them mostly have them and those who don't use them don't are about new minis, so no gain on that side too.

And if someone can't stand the topic "Unseen" then he should simply move on instead of throwing up heretic ideas.

@00Dawg
That cover almost make me vomit.

Alright.  Let's say you are CGL and you want to produce a supplement that takes place during the Fourth Succession War...just suppose...

...what art do you use?

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 15 August 2011, 16:52:46 »
There are plenty of mechs from the 3025 Era that are no unseen, so you could use artwork from those mechs.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #27 on: 15 August 2011, 17:03:55 »
I saw we continue this discussion in a regular thread, and leave the announcement thread for, I don't know, announcements?

Quite right!  This thread is closed.

Should one wish to continue this discussion, take this to, lets say, General Discussion.

Thanks!
Paul