Author Topic: "Fire For Effect" Proofreaders MIA?  (Read 2446 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
"Fire For Effect" Proofreaders MIA?
« on: 20 September 2013, 05:33:59 »
I'll start off by saying that I DID enjoy ALL of the stories in Fire for Effect: BattleCorps Anthology Volume 4.  However . . . the number of typos in the collection was staggering, and I hate to say it, but the 2 worst offenders are 2 of the "Big Names" of BT! I wonder, are they TOO big for any proofreader to tell them "You messed up here, here and here" ?  :-\  Granted, not every story in the collection has typos, but the 2 stories with the largest number of them are "Forgotten Worlds" by Herbert A. Beas II and "Hunter or Hunted" by Randall Bills.  Again, I VERY THOROUGHLY enjoyed the stories, but those 2 felt like I was driving a car on some car manufacturer's "Test Track", with potholes and speed bumps the length of it.  And these are all stories that were previously published on BattleCorps?  So, Theoretically, they were proofread by someone before being posted there?  Then again, Theoretically, they were proofread again before being published in the Anthology?  ???  Am I the Nobody that has to say out loud, "The Emperor is butt naked" ?  They're EXCELLENT story tellers, but Herb and Randall are still HUMAN.  Well, when I've seen them at Gen Con they seem human anyway.   ;D  Anyway, they're Human, they make errors, they make typos, and if a proofreader spots them, it's their job to tell them "Hey, this is spelled wrong", or whatever.  For instance, what the Heck is a "Particle Protector Cannon" anyway?  :D

Again, the Anthology was Great, but with better proofreading it could have been Excellent.  :(
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 05:38:09 by GRUD »
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: "Fire For Effect" Proofreaders MIA?
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2013, 08:47:58 »
I enjoyed the book, will continue to do so since i love re-reading things after a while.  :D
I know budgets are tight, and editing not easy.  Things happen, just wish they had caught in time before printing the thing on expensive paper.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki