Author Topic: Field Manual: Periphery - FASA #1726, FanPro #10982, or both?  (Read 5534 times)

Frabby

• Major
I'm having a curious problem with Field Manual: Periphery:

My copy is titled "Classic BattleTech Field Manual Periphery, and is FanPro #10982.
However, the product list on Sarna as well as another, older product list I pulled from the internet once upon a time list it as FASA #1726.

I surmise that this was a book largely completed as a FASA project when FASA closed its doors, and the project was seamlessly taken over by FanPro (FanPro US being practically FASA with a new nameplate as far as the author and developer pool goes).

But was there ever a version of the book published under FASA's aegis, and the re-published by FanPro? Or was it only ever published by FanPro?

(Another, better known example is the MechWarrior 3rd Edition RPG which FanPro had to rename Classic BattleTech RPG for their reprints.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Field Manual: Periphery - FASA #1726, FanPro #10982, or both?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2017, 03:24:07 »
Field Manual: Periphery (1726) was published in 2001 by FASA.

It was reprinted in 2003 as FanPro 10982. My guess is that was because the FASA print run was small.

And that's why some covers say BattleTech Field Manual while others say Classic BattleTech Field Manual.

(To clarify: Small because it was the last book FASA published so they didn't dump a lot of money into getting it out.)
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 03:39:00 by roosterboy »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2017, 07:34:15 »
Thanks for the confirmation.
Can someone provide a scan of the FASA cover so that I may update Sarna with it?
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2020, 21:08:48 »
sorry for the damage, it's been around the world: literally! :-)

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2020, 00:44:21 »
Thanks!  :)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2020, 03:07:15 »
I'm having a curious problem with Field Manual: Periphery:

My copy is titled "Classic BattleTech Field Manual Periphery, and is FanPro #10982.
However, the product list on Sarna as well as another, older product list I pulled from the internet once upon a time list it as FASA #1726.

I surmise that this was a book largely completed as a FASA project when FASA closed its doors, and the project was seamlessly taken over by FanPro (FanPro US being practically FASA with a new nameplate as far as the author and developer pool goes).

But was there ever a version of the book published under FASA's aegis, and the re-published by FanPro? Or was it only ever published by FanPro?

(Another, better known example is the MechWarrior 3rd Edition RPG which FanPro had to rename Classic BattleTech RPG for their reprints.)

Of note, FASA's "Field Manual: Periphery" was nearly impossible to order from online retailers because it mistakenly had the same ISBN# as MechWarrior's Guide to The Clans.  I tried ordering from Amazon and Barnes & Noble, but each time, without fail, they delivered copies of the MechWarrior's Guide, since they were using the ISBN# to identify the product to be shipped.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2020, 08:18:58 »
Now that's an interesting tidbit of info. Will put it into the Sarna article later today (unless someone else does it first).

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2020, 06:17:29 »
Ok, final question: Are there any known differences between the FASA and FanPro editions beyond the cover? Did FanPro incorporate any changes, errata or updates when they reprinted the book or is the content virtually identical?

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2020, 21:24:21 »
I don't have a copy of the '03 version, sorry.  Can't answer that one. :-/

Oboe Cop

• Private
Speaking of the Periphery... here's an interesting piece of Periphery History

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2021, 21:35:59 »
Speaking of the Periphery... here's an interesting piece of Periphery History
Very interest take on what could be
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2021, 09:30:42 »
Interesting to see the 'Ballpeen Hammer' of MNFA-fame get almost-canonized. It was always a personal favorite.

Thanks for releasing that original draft, Mr. Hussey. I quite enjoyed my initial skim.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2021, 11:48:47 »
Ok, final question: Are there any known differences between the FASA and FanPro editions beyond the cover? Did FanPro incorporate any changes, errata or updates when they reprinted the book or is the content virtually identical?

My recollection is that it’s more like MW 3rd Ed —> BT:RPG than FM: Mercs revised or 3057r. I’ll do a quick pass when I get a few minutes

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Oboe Cop

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2021, 11:05:36 »
Interesting to see the 'Ballpeen Hammer' of MNFA-fame get almost-canonized. It was always a personal favorite.

Thanks for releasing that original draft, Mr. Hussey. I quite enjoyed my initial skim.

Hey, thank you! I don't get back here very often (aka "Hardly at All") but seeing as how I penned a few stories of late, thought I should poke my head in here to see people dumping AC20 rounds on my writing.  ;D

Glad you are enjoying it! Or what could have been.

And yeah, I loved the Ballpeen, and the other "fake" designs

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2021, 23:06:43 »
You are quite welcome. The draft is arguably what I thought it would be when I opened the book that was released. I don't quite remember the other mimics but still think of the Mallet/Ballpeen to this day. But, given the current RecGuide trend of maintaining player's miniature collections from 3025 to 3150 as viable playing fodder, the mimics just expand the utility of a given miniature.

In other words, revise them and submit them to Shrapnel.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Oboe Cop

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2021, 12:59:41 »
HA!

Not a bad idea. I may have to do just that. *Checks notes to see if Phil owes me a favor*