Author Topic: IS Unit Insignia (interpretations and alterations)  (Read 62686 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: IS Unit Insignia (interpretations and alterations)
« Reply #90 on: 20 August 2016, 15:24:21 »
Glad to see this thread continuing Flieger, you do great work!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #91 on: 21 August 2016, 08:16:07 »
Impressive Earthwerks Security logos, I like em.

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #92 on: 24 August 2016, 08:38:41 »
Those are freaking awesome :)  THANK YOU!!!

Not sure if you have use for these, but I had reworked the original EW logo from the old House Liao book - as well as the Green EW for them.

« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 08:50:39 by JustinKase »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #93 on: 24 August 2016, 15:35:49 »
In 2008 I did one for Fanbook 2 - Project Phoenix which of course is very Terran if your interested.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #94 on: 25 August 2016, 19:15:22 »
Thank you all!  :)
Sorry for the late response...

Your Terran Earthwerks-logos look really nice! I was actually thinking about creating some insignia for Earth-based corporate security forces, but I am not sure if companies on Terra needed those or were allowed to have them. I would sure love to try some of them; Blankenburg Technologies has a really cool logo.
But seeing Krupp does not seem to have a (canon) logo, I'll probably try something in the future.

How about for the Proserpina Hussars? The Blood Limpets looks a little weak for the fearsome reputation.

Fascinating suggestion! I will think about how to make it more fearsome, but I cannot promise success. This might well exceed my capabilities. However I will give it a try.

Glad to see this thread continuing Flieger, you do great work!

Well I do not find time as often as I used to, but I do want to fulfill specific wishes.  :)

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #95 on: 26 August 2016, 12:29:46 »
Thanks for that Terran EWs - I added into the Battletech - Corp - Icons folder I have, and it will surely find use :)  Thanks!

Another request, for a unit that has a described logo, but I can't seem to find it anywhere:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Justine%27s_Grenadiers

"Crossed Laser Rifles surrounded by a golden wreath" A Capellan Reserves unit.

Thanks again!

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #96 on: 26 August 2016, 19:37:52 »
Interestingly, I had worked previously on this, so I reactivated my work:

Justine's Grenadiers

I was not sure which colour to chose for the middle (and I did not want to leave it empty)....

(the rifle is a concept by ScrewfaceRomeo which I modified a tiny bit for the insignia, mostly by removing details)
« Last Edit: 26 August 2016, 19:40:36 by Flieger »

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #97 on: 26 August 2016, 20:52:25 »
Once again - wonderful work (and speedy!!)

I think the green invokes a more Capellan feel, but the Red would certainly stand out more on the typical Capellan green background.

Thank you once again fine sir!

Used the green version here : https://s3.amazonaws.com/duxsite-battletech/0888f673bc5a448077b8bafd9da2f27ba51966be1cf14ef01c29a5c160ed4b8du71.png
« Last Edit: 26 August 2016, 23:58:28 by JustinKase »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #98 on: 27 August 2016, 10:37:24 »
Glad you like it!
I agree the green feels more 'Capellan' but one has to keep in mind the SW-era CCAF were quite a hodgepodge of very different units with very different backgrounds, and some of them had no green in their insignia. I guess I will make Justinia's Cuirassiers in the future...

(But I have not forgotten the Proserpina Hussars  ;))

Isaac Cameron-Wolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 27 August 2016, 16:20:44 »
Wow these are very nice! And hello everyone!

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #100 on: 29 August 2016, 12:40:21 »
Glad you like it!
I agree the green feels more 'Capellan' but one has to keep in mind the SW-era CCAF were quite a hodgepodge of very different units with very different backgrounds, and some of them had no green in their insignia. I guess I will make Justinia's Cuirassiers in the future...

(But I have not forgotten the Proserpina Hussars  ;))

Thaks for not forgetting!

As for the Cuirassiers, this is from Sarna:

"Originally known as the Capellan Cuirassiers, the regiment was stationed on Capricorn III in 2765. They were formed at the order of Chancellor Stephan Liao after he discovered how effective the 1st St. Ives Lancers were. The Cuirassiers were built and trained according to the same techniques as the First St. Ives Lancers, but the soldiers assigned to the regiment were drawn from across the Capellan Confederation. This insured their loyalty to the nation as a whole.[1]

The regiment carried out an invasion of the Terran Hegemony under orders from Chancellor Barbara Liao during the chaotic days of the Amaris Coup, capturing a number of Hegemony worlds. One of these was Marlette, which was also coveted by the Federated Suns.[2]"

As a Capellan unit when the concept of a nation was still fluid, maybe a multi-colored background reflecting the nations that made up the new Confederation would be more appropriate. Something like European Coats of Arms showing 8 different family crests on one field. Upper right Tikinov, Sarna upper left, Liao bottom left etc. Pure Liao green might be a stretch  for an early unit. Even add Chesterton with a black band in it.
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #101 on: 03 September 2016, 14:54:16 »
Well then... this is a take on the Proserpina Hussars. Making a limpet threatening is not exactly easy, so I decided to go with the insectoid look of the original artwork. There is no canon insignia of the Second Hussars, but they are called Kurita's Vampires and thus I adopted the bat imagery of the Third Hussars. Furthermore I added Japanese (Kanji) numbers, but I have no knowledge of the Japanese language and they might be wrong.

1st Proserpina Hussars

2nd Proserpina Hussars

3rd Proserpina Hussars

4th Proserpina Hussars

As a Capellan unit when the concept of a nation was still fluid, maybe a multi-colored background reflecting the nations that made up the new Confederation would be more appropriate. Something like European Coats of Arms showing 8 different family crests on one field. Upper right Tikinov, Sarna upper left, Liao bottom left etc. Pure Liao green might be a stretch  for an early unit. Even add Chesterton with a black band in it.

I see the logic but I am not sure if it works out. It might turn out too cluttered. However I like the idea and maybe I find a way to make it work.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #102 on: 07 October 2016, 10:14:46 »
As for the Cuirassiers, this is from Sarna:

"Originally known as the Capellan Cuirassiers, the regiment was stationed on Capricorn III in 2765. They were formed at the order of Chancellor Stephan Liao after he discovered how effective the 1st St. Ives Lancers were. The Cuirassiers were built and trained according to the same techniques as the First St. Ives Lancers, but the soldiers assigned to the regiment were drawn from across the Capellan Confederation. This insured their loyalty to the nation as a whole.[1]"

So, here is a try:

Capellan Cuirassiers

Interpretation: the mailed fist holding an arrow is in the centre, but surrounded by all six commonalities of the Confederation, reflecting the pan-Capellan origin. Two of them are special: the training is based on the St. Ives Lancers, so the armoured hand comes from St. Ives; Chesterton is lost but not forgotten, so it is grayed out. I though about a black band, but that did not look good.

Let me know what you think. Furthermore...

Chesteron Guardians

Interpretation: no canon insignia is known, so this is based on their nickname "the Scarlet Pimpernels". And I like morning stars.

Andurien Hussars

Interpretation: I merely flattened the colours.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #103 on: 11 November 2016, 10:23:21 »
Only a small update, but it is a classic.

Kathil Uhlans

Interpretation: The insignia was never shown but described in Lethal Heritage ("embroidered on a gold background in black thread, the head and mane of a roaring lion"). I added three cavalry lances to reflect their Uhlan-designation and to honour the three original elements from which the Uhlans were raised, i.e. the Davion Light Guards, the 5th Syrtis Fusiliers, and the Kathil CMM. The water seperating the lion and the lances is an homage to Kathil's sigil.

« Last Edit: 11 November 2016, 15:12:04 by Flieger »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #104 on: 12 November 2016, 16:45:34 »
Very nice job!

RichQ03

• Private
« Reply #105 on: 13 November 2016, 12:55:31 »
I really like them!  Fantastic work!

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #106 on: 17 November 2016, 19:59:37 »
Thanks!  :)

Tbh, I have run out of ideas a bit. I have some units earmarked though. I think I will finally attempt the Sirian Lancers, unless I come across a better idea.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2016, 20:01:43 by Flieger »

HunterGratzner

• Corporal
« Reply #107 on: 01 December 2016, 11:25:18 »
These all look great! I'd love to see more WoB divisions done in that reversed scheme you tried. Or more ComGuard divisions.

But really, they all look nice.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #108 on: 06 December 2016, 01:13:23 »
Thank you!  O0

Well, I did not do another ComGuard unit, but I revisited ComStar. I always wanted to do ROM, but I hated the insignia presented in Covert Ops because they are 90ies WordArt-style. So I tried something else based on an earlier sourcebook with wholly different insignia...

(Also, I hid two easter eggs: one is football-related and not very well hidden, but the other is special. So special kudos to those who get the reference I included in the Info&Analysis logo  :) ).

ROM

Interpretation: The ROM-insignia are based on the older Intelligence Operations Handbook, rather than the more famous renditions from Covert Ops (which I truly detest). However they are only losely based on the Intel Ops HB, and I filled some gaps with the help of general ideas found in Covert Ops (so I did not reject it entirely).

Counterintelligence (Μ/Δ)

Information and Analysis (Μ/Μ)

Internal Obedience (Ρ/Ο)

Covert Operations (Ρ/Ρ)

Security (Μ/Ι)

Special Services

Blake's Wrath (Δ/Ε)

Valkyrie (Δ/Χ)

Diplomatic Operations Branch (Ρ/Γ)

« Last Edit: 06 December 2016, 01:17:09 by Flieger »

HunterGratzner

• Corporal
« Reply #109 on: 06 December 2016, 22:22:52 »
Those are great looking. I like your take on them.

Could you do some FWL ones? I saw you linked a deviantart earlier in the thread but I like your style better. If you decide to do some, I'd love anything for the Marik Guard, Marik Militia, Eagle Corps, SAFE's Dark Shadows, or the Regulan Hussars.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #110 on: 09 December 2016, 15:18:50 »
Thanks!

And yes, I am currently working on some FWLM stuff. I have pretty much finished the Sirian Lancers (although I am not entirely sure I like what I did) and started the Regulan Hussars. I only wish we knew more about Anton Marik's Ducal Guards. Any ideas what insignia they could have sported?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #111 on: 10 December 2016, 06:38:07 »
Well Anton was the Duke of Procyon so I would go for something Procyon (Little Dog Star) in nature.

For a Guard unit I would go with a Shield of some type.

For colors I'd probably go for purple (representing marik), gold (a node to Procyon's Terran Hegemony legacy), and black (for Procyon's genus of nocturnal animals)

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #112 on: 10 December 2016, 09:30:49 »
Thanks for you input, I think I could incorporate some of it! So... much requested, long delayed, and finally here:

:) :) :)

Free Worlds League

FLWM

Ducal Guard (Anton Marik)

General Changes: no canon insignia is known. Since Anton Marik declared himself Captain-General of the whole League I found using the League’s eagle appropriate. But as the Guards are sworn in on Anton personally I also included his monogram as equal part of the insignia. The colours have been inspired by Takiro’s suggestion, i.e. purple for Marik, gold for the TH legacy, and black Procyon's genus of nocturnal animals. Consequently the insignia represents a mix of local reference, personal allegiance, and Anton’s claims.

1st Ducal Guards

2nd Ducal Guards

3rd Ducal Guards

4th Ducal Guards

Regulan Hussars

Interpretation: I am a fan of corporate identity when it comes to brigades, and all the Hussars regiments insignia have the same base, shaped like a 16th century Hungarian shield. Hungary is traditionally home to the Hussars and the FWL has some mild Habsburg-vibes, therefore I thought this worked out well. Due to the strong regional ties of the brigade it made sense to include a simplified Ankh representing the Regulan Fiefs. Otherwise the insignia are very much based on the canonical insignia, albeit rendered more traditionally.

1st Regulan Hussars

4th Regulan Hussars

5th Regulan Hussars

9th Regulan Hussars

Sirian Lancers

1st Sirian Lancers

2nd Sirian Lancers

3rd Sirian Lancers

« Last Edit: 21 December 2016, 13:10:02 by Flieger »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #113 on: 10 December 2016, 16:08:18 »
Nice Flieger, I love it! As far as I am concerned that is the canon Ducal Guard. Gonna post some of my own insignias in another thread but before I do how did you come up with your Sirian Lancers? My Terran variety done long ago for my Shattered Dawn setting used tradition Hegemony colors.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #114 on: 11 December 2016, 18:38:58 »
Thanks a lot!  :) I am also quite happy about the Ducal Guards, especially as I believe monograms are an underused element in BattleTech. We are talking about pseudo-feudal societies after all. (btw., the similarity to the monogram of a certain historical figure is not intentional).

Regarding the Sirian Lancers, I just took the canon insignia (flaming lance and triangle) and adapted them to my personal taste; the biggest change being the location of the flame. The regimental highlight colours (white, blue, and green) are taken from the FM:FWL. However I do not know the canon base colour of the triangle. I went with purple simply because that is what I saw on Sarna.net...
Now I am by no means an expert on the FWL, and I would not mind going with another colour. In fact since purple is rather difficult to complement with green and blue I would welcome an alternative idea.

Btw., seeing your rendition of the Lancers' insignia I finally understand why the vamplate is so heavily emphasized. With the Hegemony's star on it, it makes perfect sense. Nice on anyway!  The AU must be an interesting playfield for new variations of well known insignia. O0

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #115 on: 21 December 2016, 13:20:42 »
Hello,

I was asked to have a look at the minor merc units as most of them have no canonical insignia (afaik). The following batch is thus largely the result of my fantasy. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy them.

Black Cats

Interpretation: the badge is almost identical to the canon badge with only subtle changes in proportions. The biggest deviation is the stance of the cat; it now has a typical heraldic attitude for cats (passant guarding). Colours are my guess.

Black Knight Legion

Interpretation: you can easily guess why a red boar’s head was chosen...

Ever-Free

Interpretation: we know the unit sported a broken chain, probably referring to the chain gang missions their founders were forced to perform in service of House Kurita, and to the fact that they were freed. I added the Sword-and-Sun of House Davion, shattering the chain, because the unit owes a lot to the AFFS.

Griffin's Pride

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I decided for the griffin-motif.

Lander's Lancers

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I decided for the the lance-motif.

Pinky's Irregulars

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I chose Pinky from the Animaniacs.

Van Diemen's Demons

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I used a demon...

HunterGratzner

• Corporal
« Reply #116 on: 11 January 2017, 23:13:55 »
I'm loving these. Very well done. If you're still willing to do any more, I'd like to see some more corporate security logos, like maybe for Irian BattleMechs Unlimited or Technicron Manufacturing. Or unit insignias, of your own creation, for FWLM regiments that never got their own (8th & 9th Free Worlds Legionnaires, 5th Free Worlds Guards, 34th & 37th Marik Militia, for example).
Or, for personal use, an updated version of the Marik Guard sigil (I always thought the canon one looked unusually proportioned).

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #117 on: 12 January 2017, 06:54:18 »
Thank you! Coincidentally, I did the Marik Guard and some of the Marik Militias without canon insignia. :)
So here is a new batch; I liked how the Marik Militia ones turned out. I was sceptic at first for I strongly dislike blue-and-red colour combinations, but it worked. I am a fan of the third and the twenty-sixth. Their insignia are based on the regimental nicknames.

I hope you like them!

3rd Marik Militia

18th Marik Militia

26th Marik Militia

27th Marik Militia

Marik Guard

New Belt Pirates

Since the original opening post became too big, it is now officially Part I; Part II is also in this thread and there is a link in Part I too.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2017, 11:00:09 by Flieger »

HunterGratzner

• Corporal
« Reply #118 on: 12 January 2017, 10:13:43 »
lol I saw the art pop up first and thought "that was fast".

I think they're great. What were the influences for some of the Marik Militia insignias? Little blurbs in the housebooks?

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #119 on: 12 January 2017, 11:02:11 »
Glad you like them!  :)

As far as influences are concerned I used the regimental nicknames as my main source of inspiration.
The 3rd Marik Militia had the nickname "The Cannoneers", therefore I chose crossed cannon barrels and a grenade. This is common imagery for artillery troops and since I had not done it before, I liked it a lot.
Another example is the 26th Marik Militia which had the name "The Librarians", and I wanted to combine civilian elements (quill&book) and military elements (the spears). Having the spears and the quills mirror each other created an interesting image imho.
The 18th MM insignia is known from a black and white image; I merely went with a more traditional rendition of the rose and gave it colour based on the name (the "Duchess of Connaught" is a pink rose, at least in Germany).

However, I am not an expert on the FWLM, so I might have missed some info on the canon insignia and I am always grateful for hints.