Author Topic: What is hopefully quick question about TAG  (Read 1644 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
What is hopefully quick question about TAG
« on: 17 January 2017, 00:25:39 »
I'm just curious.  If I have TAG mounted in either Arm or Legs, use it in a turn, and want to commit to a punch or kick later is it legal to do so in the same turn?  TAG itself isn't a weapon, just a piece of a equipment?

Frabby

• Major
Re: What is hopefully quick question about TAG
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2017, 01:21:27 »
My understanding is that the rules do treat it as a weapon, as it is used in the firing phase.
(This does raise a similar question about AMS though.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2017, 08:39:54 »
From what I understand It has it's own Phase as follows .
Movement Phase
TAG Phase
Off Board Artillery Phase
Weapon Phase and On Board Artillery Phase
Physical Attack Phase .
So if you are using Off Board Artillery it can knock out weapons ( Before the Weapons Phase ) .
On board Artillery is simultaneous with weapon phase as well as all semi- guided LRMs and Mech Mortars .
But for placement Frabby is correct it is normally mounted as a weapon in every example I have seen .
« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 08:42:06 by Col Toda »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2017, 15:14:05 »
All of that makes sense.  The only issue is I could not find the rule that would prohibit it in either tw or TM last night.  I guess I will try and research mor3 when I get home tonight. I

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2017, 16:47:48 »
Its not 'on board' its Indirect vs Direct artillery fire- basically greater range than a single map sheet vs on the map sheet.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2017, 10:08:28 »
It fires in a limbo period; not its own phase, but after the Movement Phase and just before the Weapon Attack Phase.

The main thing is that because it doesn't fire in the Weapon Attack Phase, it does not prevent the use of physical attacks where it is mounted.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2017, 01:38:56 »
That is what I thought reading through the rule books this week.  Thanks for the clarification.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2017, 01:42:15 »
If it works like a real-life laser guidance system, it would need continuous contact with the target. i.e.: you don't just flash a laser at it, make contact, then break off. A missile or shell is using the constant data being fed to it from the laser. Seems like it would be difficult to keep a laser pinned on a target while punching and the TAG data being used would be invalid the moment it breaks contact.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2017, 01:52:57 »
I generally agree the common sense of it wouldn't make much sense.  However, that is why I asked, because I couldn't find anything about it in any recent rule book either.  I don't think it comes up often enough.  Right off the top of my head I can't think of any mechs that TAG is either mounted in the arms or the legs.

Register