Author Topic: Sword Of Light: How Many Lances Per Company?  (Read 2064 times)

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
Sword Of Light: How Many Lances Per Company?
« on: 02 December 2016, 19:12:22 »
This topic is about House Kurita's fearsome red shock troops, the Sword of Light regiments.

The Sword of Light are supposed to be the best that Kurita has to offer.  They have several regiments with an extra battalion each, and each battalion supposedly contains an extra company.  So instead of a standard regiment of 108 'Mechs plus AeroSpace support, they presumably have: 48 'Mechs per battalion, times 4 battalions = 192 'Mechs in a single regiment, or about twice the size of a normal Inner Sphere regiment.  Unless I am misinformed about the SoL, and I've been following BattleTech since the late '80s. 8)

So now my question is:  Do they also have an extra lance per company?  Which would make them extremely overpowered as individual regiments, if they outnumber a standard regiment that much, plus have Elite MechWarriors and AeroSpace Pilots.  The only comparable formation I have ever encountered is the 27-'Mech Lightning Companies of the AFFS, mentioned in the 4th Succession War military atlases.

To give you an idea of my situation, I am actually thinking of painting up a company for the Sword of Light regiments, and it is composed of the following:

Command Lance = Atlas, Cyclops, BattleMaster, Marauder
Heavy Lance = Archer, Warhammer, Crusader, Rifleman
Medium Lance = Grand Dragon, Phoenix Hawk, Jenner, Wasp

So now, do I also need four additional 'Mechs to make it officially a SoL-sized company?  [16 'Mechs instead of 12?]

Please respond to this thread at your next convenience, and thanks in advance to any Kurita players who can give me correct canon answers.  [Although I usually play as AFFS.]
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
Re: Sword Of Light: How Many Lances Per Company?
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2016, 20:34:40 »
I am pretty sure it is straight up an extra battalion and everything else is as standard operating procedure for a IS Mech Regiment.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2016, 01:40:07 »
From what I recall, their battalions are indeed at standard 36 mech strength, but I think they also have regimental command lance, which would make 148 mechs in total.
Shoot first, laugh later.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2016, 01:43:54 »
From what I recall, their battalions are indeed at standard 36 mech strength, but I think they also have regimental command lance, which would make 148 mechs in total.

This.

Though I have seen somewhere that the command lance was 6-8 mechs, either an oversized lance or two command lances. Could be mis-remembering 
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2016, 01:15:28 »
They have several regiments with an extra battalion each, and each battalion supposedly contains an extra company.  So instead of a standard regiment of 108 'Mechs plus AeroSpace support, they presumably have: 48 'Mechs per battalion, times 4 battalions = 192 'Mechs in a single regiment, or about twice the size of a normal Inner Sphere regiment.  Unless I am misinformed about the SoL, and I've been following BattleTech since the late '80s. 8)

I think your misinformed.
ALL of the SoL run as 4 Battalions as far back as the 3025 House Books.
But I can't find anything about any other special formation changes.
As the others stated, they are 36 mech battalions like everyone else, they just run a 4th one.
Your looking at 144 Mechs + HQ Element.

The only comparable formation I have ever encountered is the 27-'Mech Lightning Companies of the AFFS, mentioned in the 4th Succession War military atlases.
I think you have Fed Suns Delta Company (27 Mechs) confused with Lyran "Lightning Companies" which were Fast Recon Company added to typical Lyran Wall of Steel units to give them better capabilities for the 4th SW, but still just a normal 12 mechs.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2016, 02:58:02 »
The Combat Manual: Kurita states that Battalions "often" contain command lances, and Regiments contain a command lance or company.

As to whether or not the battalions and lances were reinforced, I don't recall anything like that offhand, but its certainly possible.

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2016, 11:17:03 »
Have to agree with the other about the SoL. We've run 40 Element battalions and 136 Element regiments for years. For the SoL we simply add a battalion of 40 mechs for 156-160 Elements in four battalions, 12-16 mech command coy.

For our ISW/ACS campaign the battalion command lances reinforce one of the line coys and the regimental command coy reinforces one of the battalions.
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2016, 12:40:52 »
Direct quote from the old phonebook, Field Manual Draconis Combine:

"As of 1 January 3059, DCMS Battlemech assets comprised seventy-six full or nearly-full regiments of Battlemechs... Most of these machines are deployed in standard 108-Mech regiments. The DCMS rarely reduces Mech regiments below this level. However some DCMS units, such as the Sword of Light regiments, regularly maintain reinforced contingents composed of four battalions, or 144 Mechs."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2016, 03:19:05 »
Eh, I'd take that with a grain of salt at this time with Combat Manual suggesting that command lances are used "often" and I don't even think command lances were even considered in FM:DC.

While I wouldn't suggest every battalion and company be reinforced, I don't really see a problem with slipping in the occasional extra lance here or there. 144 should be a basic guideline instead of a dead set number.

Register