Author Topic: Xmarx.com Resin Buildings  (Read 5256 times)

R4360

• Corporal
Xmarx.com Resin Buildings
« on: 01 July 2016, 16:48:26 »
I picked up some resin buildings from http://xmarx.com/products.html, and was finally able to get some of them into paint.  Here are some shots showing the Pilot's Barracks with connecting corridors and 3 & 4 way intersections. Also shown in the later pics are some stuff from the Wall set and the Geo Dome set, with some 'Mechs for scale:

The paint was a Rusteoleum primer/paint combo in a satin finish that actually gave pretty good coverage, so I may only have to do detailing on them. I have some more buildings from the same vendor, but they'll require some more cleanup before I can get them into paint.  This was my first experience ordering resin buildings so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Overall I think they came out well.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2016, 16:50:30 by R4360 »

hawkins180

• Sergeant
Re: Xmarx.com Resin Buildings
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2016, 17:11:25 »
Those did come out well, guess it's time to unbuckle the wallet and spend some c-bills.

also,  O0 those Sneaky Marauder IIC's, I see they are using the infamous "Building Grey" Camo.
"Okay, credit where it's due: for a little idiot built specifically to come up with stupid, unworkable plans, that was a pretty well-laid trap. " GLaDOS

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2016, 17:48:53 »
I have a lot of Xmarx models and they make the play table look great.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2016, 18:47:54 »
O0 those Sneaky Marauder IIC's, I see they are using the infamous "Building Grey" Camo.

I'm getting stuff unpacked and out of storage. Right now I'm concentrating on getting stuff primed, based & assembled before I bother with painting anything. That way it's at least usable.  I've got lots of things that are missing parts, though. I need to hit up IWM and see what I can get spares for.

hawkins180

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2016, 18:58:04 »
I'm one to talk, I have an original Marauder II that hasn't been painted since I got it.  :-[
"Okay, credit where it's due: for a little idiot built specifically to come up with stupid, unworkable plans, that was a pretty well-laid trap. " GLaDOS

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2016, 11:43:39 »
They got some good stuff.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2016, 22:55:39 »
R4360, how much cleanup and prep did these take, and are you planning on basing them at all?

I've been salivating over the Xmarx stuff for a while now, and the one or two pieces I've bought seem like they have great detailing with some of the typical P.I.T.A. flaws of most resin-cast models.  Those little flaws bother me a bunch though, and have put me off of getting them ready for the tabletop.
(I recognize this is more due to my own personal issues, than it is the fault of the models)
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2016, 08:36:07 »
There was some flash around the bases to deal with, and some of the parts had bits of the mold in crevices that needed to be removed. There was also resin on on parts where there clearly wasn't supposed to be any, so some filing work was necessary. I've also got the VTOL landing pad that I'm working on. It's in two parts and had some voids to fill as well as needing a lot of hand filing to get the top & bottom to fit properly. I'm still working on getting it sorted out.

Here' a shot of some of them before I did any real work on them:

You can see there the level of flash that needed to be removed.  From what I understand, this is fairly typical of resin models in general, and better than most.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2016, 19:22:16 »
I got a few more bits into paint today:

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2016, 20:13:39 »
Yeah im liking them...maybe they'll be at Gencon
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 09 July 2016, 13:33:27 »
Yeah im liking them...maybe they'll be at Gencon

If the setup is the same as last year, there was a middling-ish selection of Xmarx buildings in the IWM booth.
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #11 on: 09 July 2016, 13:38:56 »
If the setup is the same as last year, there was a middling-ish selection of Xmarx buildings in the IWM booth.

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Register